Ranking up 5 stars strategy - depth or breadth?

windupwindup Member Posts: 10
edited May 2021 in Strategy and Tips
I just became UC and am starting to try out some of the harder content like LOL as well as explore ACT 4 & 5. The Variants still look insane.

Do you all think it's more valuable to have more R3s or R4s 5* champs? or should I just focus on getting 1 or 2 5*s maxed out first? These are my 5*s. I also have a bunch of maxed out 4 *s
Thanks all!

Comments

• Sarvanga1_Sarvanga1_ Member Posts: 4,157 ★★★★★
    R4 more 5 stars. R5 1 or 2 super op champs.
  • LordSmasherLordSmasher Member Posts: 1,546 ★★★★★
    R5 first. Big power jumps will make content easier. You're first 5 would be all great candidates.
  • EtherealityEthereality Member Posts: 685 ★★★
    R4 your AA, Apocalypse, Stealthy, She Hulk and Mysterio. The combined utilities of those 5 champs alone should help you clear most Act 4 and 5 content. If you ever get a Doom, BWCV, SymSupreme or SorcSupreme, prioritize to R4 any of these too, as you will eventually need at least one good Mystic in your roster for nullify and such (... although the upcoming Ebony Maw buff might be all you need for putting that Maw of yours to good use, so wait and see). You'll also need at least one buff heavy cosmic, such as Angela or Venom, for nodes such as buffed up and the like... so R4 one of these as soon as you can. Next in the list for R4'ing would be Prof X, Elsa Bloodstone and Medusa if you ever get to dupe her ( she does need her dupe) and then use Medusa for ANY fight on which you need to fight a robot and/or apply armor break to win.

In other words, if I were you I would concentrate on having a handful of r4s first that would give me the wider breadth/range of utility and counters for most stuff the game throws at me. Once you have that you can start thinking on who to r5. Your first R5 should always be whomever Beyond God level tier champ you prefer. From your current roster I'd say your best bet for a first r5 would be Apocalypse, but then again who knows who else you'll have when the time comes to R5 your first champ .

Also, one more thing . I get it and understand that you are not quite there yet to handle Variants and that's fine, no rush for that. However you make no mention to EQ and Side Quests... and you shouldn't neglect these. Make sure to complete and explore Master EQ, and at least complete (but do try to explore if you can) the uncollected EQ. learn from my mistakes: for many months (years?)I kinda ignored these because I'm a casual player and was just too lazy to do them consistently . I always used my playtime to clear/explore Act 4 and 5.... until one day I decided to do them and realized how many crucial rank up resources I had missing on just cuz I neglected EQ and even Side Quests. Story content such as Act 4 and 5 will be there FOREVER for you to do it, but the juicy EQ & Side Quest rank up resources are there just for a month and then they go poof. Definitely prioritize those over story quests.

Hope it helps
  • AndyBeardoAndyBeardo Member Posts: 180
    Ranking up those 5* champs will cost you a ton of Alpha1s and IMO buying them in the glory store is not the way to go if you can buy better stuff there (alpha2s and t5b fragments). I'd focus on the strongest 5* and R5 them asap. AA would be my 1st if I were you.
    Remember that you cannot use 4* champs in act 6 so when your 5* roster is relatively broad, you should not invest in 4*s unless they serve a certain purpose in EQ or act 5 completion that your 5* just can't serve. But it will take some time until you get to act 6 so the strongest 4* should help you a lot as long as you don't have as many 5* options.
  • DawsManDawsMan Member Posts: 2,169 ★★★★★

Ranking up those 5* champs will cost you a ton of Alpha1s and IMO buying them in the glory store is not the way to go if you can buy better stuff there (alpha2s and t5b fragments). I'd focus on the strongest 5* and R5 them asap. AA would be my 1st if I were you.
    Remember that you cannot use 4* champs in act 6 so when your 5* roster is relatively broad, you should not invest in 4*s unless they serve a certain purpose in EQ or act 5 completion that your 5* just can't serve. But it will take some time until you get to act 6 so the strongest 4* should help you a lot as long as you don't have as many 5* options.

I don't agree. Yes, the glory store has tier 2 alphas, and t5b, but if you get a wide variety of champions to rank 4 for acts five and six, you'll be able to do a lot more than just a couple rank 5. If he had Ghost or Quake I would agree, but right now he just has a bunch of God Tier champions. Buying t1a is something I do all the time as a Thronebreaker player.

I would keep AA at r4, mine is and he's been helpful even in Act 7. Apoc is an easy choice, out of stealthy or hit monkey I would recommend the hit monkey. Professor X is insane for acts 5 and 6 as well as medusa. She will help a ton with the final Ultron boss and in general, is useful. Focus on getting those few champions to rank 4, catalysts allowing, and see how far you can get. If the content is too hard for you, maybe you need r5s but I doubt it.

I do agree with AndyBeardo that your 4 stars will clear a lot for you. Obviously, use them if they are good, but as you clear content put those resources into getting those five stars to rank 3 and 4.
  • windupwindup Member Posts: 10
    Wow thank you guys for the in-depth posts and analysis. The debates, pros and cons...it's all very helpful. I have over 2/3rds of the Beyond God Tier Level 4*s and they have happily carried me through a lot of content in exploring monthly EQs (through master) and finally all of the Side Quest this month.

I was content to do some occasional arena grinding and play in the EQs and SQs for awhile, but the arena change made me focus on getting UC more. The jump in skill level to handle the opponents and the nodes (omg the nodes) was challenging but really enjoyable.

I see that ranking up the 5*s will definitely need some strategy and resource management and I'm thankful for the forum's wealth of knowledge.