**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.
Options

Some thoughts on the Summ(on)er Event

ErcarretErcarret Posts: 2,751 ★★★★★
Sorry if this comes off as a bit of a rant, it isn't meant to be one. It's just that this was originally an answer to someone on youtube who (in less than kind words) took issue with me not being fully in love with the current Summ(on)er Event. He was of the mind that the free-to-play rewards were more or less what they were in last year's Summoner Appreciation Calendar, so we shouldn't complain about the event.

However, since the rant allowed me to put my thoughts into words, I thought I could share them here. So here they are.

I think there are several reasons to be annoyed with this event and how it differs from the Summoner Appreciation Calendar of previous years, even if you don't care about the paid pass aspect of it.

One major difference with this event compared to last year's Calendar is that the rewards are unnecessarily tiered now. I don't really care that level 5 players can't earn the 6* shards, but it's definitely different from last years' SACs. Now, if Kabam does tier rewards, I expect all progression levels to get rewards comparable to where they're at. That's a fair assumption, I feel. Since last summer, the game has progressed significantly and they've introduced a new endgame title, and people have been able to rank up their 6* champions further than before. Not only that, they've pushed players heavy towards either Thronebreaker or at least Cavalier.

If everyone got the same rewards, I wouldn't really care as long as the rewards were at least decent, but Kabam chose to go another route and thus gets another response from me. They've chosen tiered rewards, but...hardly given anything different to Cavalier players (one single f2p thing, two if you pay for the pass) and nothing at all to Thronebreakers? The most worthwhile resources available to me, even if I buy the pass, are UC-level stuff. It's decent stuff, sure, but it doesn't help me at all when it comes to r3'ing more 6*s.

Let's break it down a bit.

* 5 generic 6* sig stones are nice but nothing in the grand scheme of things, and certainly nothing to write home about as the sole Cavalier-tier reward among the f2p stuff.
* 5 random 6* sig stones do nothing for me, especially as a paid reward. I earn twice the amount just by completing a single EQ running alongside the event.
* Similarly, I earn more t5b just by completing a single EQ than I do even if I buy the pass, and 4x more if I just get the f2p amount of t5b.
* When it comes to t5cc, you have to buy the pass to get a single 2% when completing a single EQ net you a 10% Nexus Crystal.

All of these rewards are supposed to be the big summer culmination of three months' work, and they don't even compare to the everyday grind. Additionally, all of those EQ rewards that they don't stack up to are still just Cavalier-level stuff. There is a whole section of player progression missing; one that Kabam has actively pushed players towards as of late, only to not reward them even decently in this summer-long event?

You could maybe argue that Thronebreaker and Cavalier players are rewarded through the Summer of Pain (which is true, to an extent), but all of those rewards are extremely hard-earned compared to those in this event.

It's just too much confusion for too little payoff unless you are a mid-tier player who is not shafted by the restrictions on either side of their progression. As it stands, you have to juggle both how many tickets you have of each type, what to spend those tickets on so that you still have enough to spend on more worthwhile stuff later on, and keep in mind which resources are yours to earn at all since there's not a clear delineation between f2p and paid rewards. I don't care that there are paid rewards as such, but please for the love of god don't let them confuse those who don't pay for them.

All in all, this feels like an event that would have been difficult to wrap your head around even if it was fully f2p. Now, with an additional layer of paid season pass rewards intermingled with the rest, Kabam has turned a supremely easy-to-follow calendar into an unbearably over-complicated event.

I like the idea of an actual event running throughout the summer, that you work on more actively than you did with the SAC in previous years. I also don't really mind the paid aspect of it. What I do mind is the execution of it all and the lack of progression from last year. Not only for endgame players but for progressing players as well who've seen their rewards slashed significantly.

Please do better in the future, Kabam. Keep what worked - I actually wouldn't mind summer-long objectives that give out big rewards, as long as they are relatively doable in a hassle-free way - but scrap the things that absolutely do not work.

Comments