**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.

Spider-Man 2099

ThatGuyYouSaw235ThatGuyYouSaw235 Posts: 3,144 ★★★★★
edited August 2021 in General Discussion
So since Spider-Man 2099 came out in Early Access bundles, everyone has been bashing him. I've seen a bunch of videos of him. A bunch of people say his damage sucks and that he's apparently a "utility noodle" which is odd because he doesn't have Psycho-Man numbers.

Am I missing something? His utility for the most part seems good and his damage is alright. I don't believe by any means that he is a noodle. I don't know, maybe this could be another case of Human Torch syndrome where he's brushed off by the masses before he is loved a few days/months down the line.

The guy seems more oriented around utility than damage, which is fine since we've seen Warlock pull this off like a king. I dunno, maybe this is an early call by people, he's only been out for one day so far. I just don't really get how he's already a "noodle".

Comments

• The_Sentry06The_Sentry06 Posts: 7,781 ★★★★★
    edited August 2021
    His damage is allright and he seems to be a good mystic counter. Other than that, I don't see myself using him anywhere.

Edit: I don't mean it like he's bad or anything. He seems to be a damn good mystic counter in terms of utility and he would fit that roster hole for me since I don't have HT or Red Guardian.
  • Colonaut123Colonaut123 Posts: 3,091 ★★★★★
    Sp2099 doesn't seem to have utility that stands out. Nor is his damage.
  • ThatGuyYouSaw235ThatGuyYouSaw235 Posts: 3,144 ★★★★★

Sp2099 doesn't seem to have utility that stands out. Nor is his damage.

I mean there's Wither, buff immunity and a lot of debuff pausing.

He seems to be a very ‘middle-of-the-pack’ champion. He definitely has utility, and the damage isn’t abysmal.

I think the largest issue I see with him is his practicality. His slow is functionally useless as a slow, his playstyle requires constant management of his debuffs, and I think it’s very possible for power gain to get out of control before you’re able to lock it down

And even when you do set him up perfectly, the payoff is not that large. It’s super skrull levels of annoying, but at least S99’s utility is functional

His main niche is ability power rate reversal, but even look at last months champ America Chavez, she gets the same effect as his wither debuff in two heavy attacks, and can even stack past that easier

The buff immunity is great, I love that. But I think Red guardian still works better for that, and RG is already considered a stressful
    Champion.

I think a lot of the disappointment is coming from the fact that S99 is a fan favourite champ. And he’s just...meh. He’ll do some stuff for some people, but on the whole, I think his best use is going to be arena fodder. I just think his playstyle is too stressful to ever be truly viable

I’ll be honest, I just don’t think the original design direction was great. The fact that a guy with poison talons only inflicts poison on his SP3 with a synergy feels insane. Unfortunately it feels like another botched 2021 champ design. At this point I don’t want any big names coming into MCOC anymore like Knull or Kitty Pryde. I worry they’ll just mess them up. Look at big names like Odin (on release), Super Skrull, a playable maestro, even characters that have a loyal fan base like Chavez and Jubilee. S99 is just another one added to the list. I’m extremely worried for anti-venom

I wouldn't say Jubilee is botched, I'd say she came out at the wrong time, when there was an already well established Mutant class.
  • RockypantherxRockypantherx Posts: 3,900 ★★★★★

He seems to be a very ‘middle-of-the-pack’ champion. He definitely has utility, and the damage isn’t abysmal.

I think the largest issue I see with him is his practicality. His slow is functionally useless as a slow, his playstyle requires constant management of his debuffs, and I think it’s very possible for power gain to get out of control before you’re able to lock it down

And even when you do set him up perfectly, the payoff is not that large. It’s super skrull levels of annoying, but at least S99’s utility is functional

His main niche is ability power rate reversal, but even look at last months champ America Chavez, she gets the same effect as his wither debuff in two heavy attacks, and can even stack past that easier

The buff immunity is great, I love that. But I think Red guardian still works better for that, and RG is already considered a stressful
    Champion.

I think a lot of the disappointment is coming from the fact that S99 is a fan favourite champ. And he’s just...meh. He’ll do some stuff for some people, but on the whole, I think his best use is going to be arena fodder. I just think his playstyle is too stressful to ever be truly viable

I’ll be honest, I just don’t think the original design direction was great. The fact that a guy with poison talons only inflicts poison on his SP3 with a synergy feels insane. Unfortunately it feels like another botched 2021 champ design. At this point I don’t want any big names coming into MCOC anymore like Knull or Kitty Pryde. I worry they’ll just mess them up. Look at big names like Odin (on release), Super Skrull, a playable maestro, even characters that have a loyal fan base like Chavez and Jubilee. S99 is just another one added to the list. I’m extremely worried for anti-venom

I wouldn't say Jubilee is botched, I'd say she came out at the wrong time, when there was an already well established Mutant class.
    I guess, my problem with her is the inability to gain prowess during firework surge. I feel like if she had that then she would actually be much more useful. Right now upkeeping her utility is a pain and sacrifices her damage. But she’s definitely not as bad as the rest I’ll give you that
  • SpideyFunkoSpideyFunko Posts: 21,804 ★★★★★

Am I missing something? His utility for the most part seems good and his damage is alright. I don't believe by any means that he is a noodle. I don't know, maybe this could be another case of Human Torch syndrome where he's brushed off by the masses before he is loved a few days/months down the line.

Severely doubt this is Human torch syndrome, Two big problems of torch got solved as the months passed. His squishiness became less of a problem since Abyss came out with low attack values and late act 6 attack values got nerfed. Building temperature in non ideal matchups also became substantially easier since they buffed him.

Spiderman 2099 has a long ramp up requiring sp3, sp2 and sp1 that also requires debuff management through dexing and the damage payoff isn't there.

Then there's the fact that while he has some utility parts of it have access problems, slow on sp3 only barely functions as a slow. Then there's the 4s stun on sp3 that looks like it hurts you more than helps since your debuff pause timer is still running while they're stunned.

He'll do alright in niche power gain, buff heavy match ups but that's all that comes to mind
    I'll probably get him so I'm hoping he turns out better than initial thoughts but not too optimistic.
    You don’t need to do the special 3. The slow is great, but if you don’t exactly need it in the matchup and don’t want the longer ramp up you can ignore it.

You can easily get those debuffs back with multiple heavies and hitting into block to get the ruptures after the special 2
  • magnus_xixmagnus_xix Posts: 2,020 ★★★★★
    The new champs are never as bad or as good as the CCP videos convey them to be.
  • BitterSteelBitterSteel Posts: 9,254 ★★★★★

Yep, a couple weeks isn’t enough for CCP members to properly figure out how good or bad a champ is. It gives a pretty good idea but we won’t know until the wider community gets a champion how good or bad they are. The issue with that is how long it takes to get champions after they’re released.

Aside from Mr Negative, who I specifically targeted, the most recent 6* I have pulled is I-Hulk, who was released 9 months ago. That is pretty tragic for new champion releases.

Yeah I guess. I have some optimism for S2099. Maybe this is not HT syndrome but Silver Surfer syndrome. I have a hunch he'll be good, but probably sitting in the purgatory of "good but there are better" where a lot of champions sit in.
    I just got a 3* S2099 from the arenas. He's good, not too good, but good. He requires a bit of skill and luck to some degree. But he's alright.