**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.

TB- No more R5ing?

GlassbackGlassback Posts: 378 ★★★
edited August 2021 in General Discussion
Hi all,

Not sure if anyone else feels the same, but recently became TB and now the T5CC are coming thick and fast, especially with SOP ending.

Loads of my last few 6* pulls have been highly rated champs that I already have at R5 and it feels like a waste to then rank the 6s and annoying that all the resources and time to have already ranked the 5*s. (I know some won’t be awakened or high sig but it’ll come)

Aside from doom and apoc, I have all the champs that appear on the top of the tier lists as 5*s and have cleared majority of content (not a flex, been playing 6 years so I’d hope so by now lol)

TLDR; is it worth ranking 5*s as a thronebreaker when you can do most content, or save materials for 6*s?

These don’t show the r2 and R3 6*s

Comments

• odishika123odishika123 Posts: 5,376 ★★★★★
    No Guardian, Hyperion and Quake
    So yes
    5 star's are still in the meta
    For now
  • DrZolaDrZola Posts: 8,542 ★★★★★
    I tend to reserve any 5* rankups for champs who are uniquely positioned to handle certain aspects of content and/or add an important synergy and/or aren’t on my 6* roster. Also will use rankup gems on them obviously.

Otherwise, they tend to sit. Just like 4*’s did way back when.

Examples: 5* iBom, 5* Torch, 5* CGR, 5* Cable. (Of course, I now have the 6* R3 version of Torch and CGR).

Dr. Zola
  • ItsDamienItsDamien Posts: 5,626 ★★★★★
    I'll still rank up 5*s just because I can and sometimes I don't want to wait to pull them as a 6*. If all the rank up resources were finite, then yeah I'd be more cautious, but ultimately everyone's resource gain is different and their level of competition varies also. I have no commitment to doing war, or map 7 AQ, so everything I do in my account is for my own personal enjoyment more than necessity. As it stands in game today, there is no content that requires R3 champs for anything other than being Thronebreaker and the events that come with that, but none of the content that is locked behind TB needs R3s either.
  • Panchulon21Panchulon21 Posts: 2,605 ★★★★★
    I don’t rank 5 stars but I also have 30 rank 5, 5 stars. If I get Hercules or cgr I would rank 5 them. Outside of that probably not, I will only rank 5 with gems. Now your roster is fairly new to TB so in your case I would continue to rank 5, certain 5 stars.
  • CyporgCyporg Posts: 285 ★★
    I just pulled Shang-Chi from a featured 5*, dropped 100 stones into him and am taking him to R5. But it's rare that I'll take up a 5* these days.
  • ButtehrsButtehrs Posts: 4,756 ★★★★★
    I'm in a somewhat unusual spot. I am still cav but I have defeated the grandmaster. Just haven't formed a t5cc yet. I have about 30 r5 5* and I also have about 40 6* but I have several 6* that are worth r3. And at least one in every class except cosmic. My cosmic 6* stink. The best one is Drax... so for me I r2 the 6* that I know I'll use later or now but I also r5 the 5* that I find useful or fun to play.
  • ErcarretErcarret Posts: 2,733 ★★★★★
    I tend to rank up 5*s to r3 or r4 while I'm waiting for t5b, and unless I pull a truly god-tier 6* I'll still rank up 5* god-tiers. 5*s can still get any EQ or SQ done in the game and I'm only really r2'ing 6*s for Story content/the future of the game.

Obviously, "the future of the game" holds an important influence over my rank-up decisions, but my point is that I don't need 6*s to counter Cavalier EQ nodes for example.

As more and more t5cc begin to trickle into my account, and I'm beginning to amass more and more really good 6*s, things will most likely change. The Act 7 boosts to 6*s definitely influence my decisions greatly and if there is a 6* that I really want to rank up, I'll rank them up ahead of a 5* I'm equally interested in.

I just haven't left 5*s completely behind, is all I'm saying. They absolutely still have their uses in the content I run.
  • Spurgeon14Spurgeon14 Posts: 1,665 ★★★★

There are only a few situations where I still say it is worth ranking a 5* after becoming Thronebreaker

1. You are ranking the champ because you enjoy playing them and don’t have them as a 6*

2. You are ranking a champ for a specific purpose like abyss, war, carina challenges, a difficult path, etc. and you don’t have them as a 6*

3. You are ranking a champ for 6.2 exploration because of those BS gates that restrict you from using 6 stars

However, outside of those situations no. 5 stars are not worth ranking

Depends on where your roster is after becoming TB. If your roster consists of mostly 5*'s and a few 6*'s then you'll focus on the 5*'s.

People are blazing through and not developing deep rosters just to get to TB. So not everyone will be in a position to focus on 6*'s because they still don't come that fast and you're not going to get roster breaking champs every pull. Many Cavs and newer TBs still need 5*'s.

I'd say if you have 100+ 6*'s, sure, focus on them.
    Couldn't agree more. I have some fantastic 6*, but there are a lot of champs I got as 5* not as 6*, or didn't get the 6* for 2+ years. That's a long time to wait to not rank up a 5* version while waiting for a 6*, especially if awakened ability is needed.
  • HavanaknightHavanaknight Posts: 453 ★★★
    Champs that really need to be awakened, especially those with a high sig, are probably safer to r5, especially if you are f2p (might take a while to dupe a 6*)
  • DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,657 Guardian
    I used to focus on ranking 5* champs and only ranking 6* champs for specific targeted use cases. Now I focus on 6* champs and only rank 5* champs for specific targeted use cases. The default changed, but I still spend on both depending on what I need.

Becoming Thronebreaker wasn't the trigger for the switch, by the way, although it changed the equation somewhat. It was more a question of when I had enough and was earning enough 6* champs fast enough to focus on them by default. That actually happened before I became Thronebreaker, not after.
  • GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Posts: 36,236 ★★★★★
    edited August 2021

There are only a few situations where I still say it is worth ranking a 5* after becoming Thronebreaker

1. You are ranking the champ because you enjoy playing them and don’t have them as a 6*

2. You are ranking a champ for a specific purpose like abyss, war, carina challenges, a difficult path, etc. and you don’t have them as a 6*

3. You are ranking a champ for 6.2 exploration because of those BS gates that restrict you from using 6 stars

However, outside of those situations no. 5 stars are not worth ranking

Depends on where your roster is after becoming TB. If your roster consists of mostly 5*'s and a few 6*'s then you'll focus on the 5*'s.

People are blazing through and not developing deep rosters just to get to TB. So not everyone will be in a position to focus on 6*'s because they still don't come that fast and you're not going to get roster breaking champs every pull. Many Cavs and newer TBs still need 5*'s.

I'd say if you have 100+ 6*'s, sure, focus on them.
    There's also a drawback to swearing off other Rarities. Content can come along that requires specific Rarities. Then people are lost when they stopped Ranking X a long time ago. Plus it places more strain on Resources when you only Rank the highest. Spreading it out allows things to accumulate naturally.
  • StevieManWonderStevieManWonder Posts: 5,017 ★★★★★
    I pretty much stopped ranking 5 stars a few months ago (with the only soon exception being Quake and possibly iBom [unless I pull him as a six star from the SoP Nexus]).
  • Nichj99Nichj99 Posts: 248 ★★
    If a 6* champ typically needs a high sig level, I rank the 5* to R5 instead - unless the R5 fill an immediate need and I can see a way to use both in the future.

Example - this week I R5’d Shang-Chi and Diablo. Both will help my account (Diablo for AQ since I have acid wash on my path) and would happily run a 6* Shang-Chi too.

These two rank ups were my 37th & 38th R5, while I have 15 R3 champs with a mutant t5 waiting + whatever summer of pain brings me
  • YoMovesYoMoves Posts: 1,281 ★★★★
    I'll r5 a few that are hard/impossible to get as 6*s or something I distinctly lack as a 6*. For example, I r5'd Warlock since I cannot pull him no matter what, as well as Kang since there's no way I ever snag the 6*. Meanwhile, I also have an r5 Doom and r3, because double Doom is still fantastique.
  • Will3808Will3808 Posts: 3,536 ★★★★★
    It’s totally still worth ranking up 5*s as a thronebreaker especially regarding champions that need to be awakened or high sig. It’s still really hard to awaken and sig up 6*s and even the people at the very top of the game only have a few champions close to sig 200 as 6*s.
  • MasterpuffMasterpuff Posts: 6,465 ★★★★★
    I still rank 5*s when i dont have the 6*. Ranked 5* shang chi and ihulk recently.
  • Denzel116Denzel116 Posts: 537 ★★★
    I only resort to the rank 5 five star if after some amount of time and attempts go by and I can’t land the six star champ.

There’s something about getting the champ as a five star that increases the odds of landing them as a 6 star. Don’t go all DNA on me…there’s no scientific analysis behind it…just what I observed my many nights working night shift playing this game lol!!!!

• Ken1378Ken1378 Posts: 279 ★★★
    Switch to 6-stars (assuming you have some decent ones to rank up). It sucks to spend a bunch of resources ranking up a 5-star and then pull that champ as a 6-star.

Plus 6-star shards are becoming more common and 6-star champs get a nice benefit in Act 7. Gotta think long-term with this game.