Options

With the New Variant 8 Dropping Soon.... Shouldn't CROSSBONES BE TAGGED #MERC!!!

jarredsaylesjarredsayles Posts: 14
edited November 2021 in General Discussion
Everyone, including most if not all Kabam employees, knows Crossbones is a mercenary. Sure he has Hydra training, but his loyalty only rests with whomever has the biggest wallet. His bio and synergies both lay claim to him being a Merc, so why is he not tagged #Mercenary in game. With Variant 8 Deadpoolooza dropping soon, he would be another great viable option, if he was #Mercenary.
PLEASE KABAM, RIGHT THIS EGREGIOUS ERROR & GIVE XBONES THE #MERC TAG HE DESERVES!!!

Comments

• Options
    Total_Domin01Total_Domin01 Posts: 1,015 ★★★★
    Great explanation right there
  • Options
    CyborgNinja135CyborgNinja135 Posts: 1,114 ★★★★

What about Taskmaster...? I find it somewhat odd that he is tagged as both Mercenary and Villain (so, really, Crossbones technically could be too?)

IIRC, at some point in the comics Taskmaster had a school for villains and then went on to train Hydra soldiers. Maybe that's why.
  • Options
    ErcarretErcarret Posts: 2,785 ★★★★★
    If Kabam added a #mercenary tag to him, I wouldn't bat an eye. If they don't, I don't care. I think it suits him but ultimately I hope that this specific variant was designed in such a way that it could be completed by one of the smallest tag pools in the game, containing some of the worst champions in the game, that not a lot of people have ranked up.

If Kabam somehow drops the ball on the difficulty and the raw lack of good merc champs becomes painfully obvious, then I could consider caring about additions to the tag pool.
  • Options
    GrassKnucklesGrassKnuckles Posts: 1,924 ★★★★★
    This is true he needs it
  • Options
    DNA3000 said:

Crossbones is a mercenary in the colloquial sense, he works for money. But he leans more towards villainy in the sense the #merc tag implies. The champions tagged #mercenary tend to be champions that have no strong lean towards heroic or villainous behavior, but are more neutral, working for both sides. Crossbones is far more villainous than he is purely mercenary.

Tags (like classes) are a judgment call. The tag doesn't define the members with the tag, it is just a label. #Avengers doesn't mean "was a member of the Avengers" because that would be practically everybody, and it doesn't mean "is a member of the Avengers at this moment in time" because that changes over time, but we don't change the tags. It doesn't even specify what universe, dimension, or timeline is being referenced. The tag is inspired by the source material, but doesn't have an explicitly set of rules for who gets the tag. It is whomever the designer - in consultation with Marvel itself - feels the tag is appropriate to.

Crossbones is a villain in the universe of the MCOC Battlerealm. That doesn't mean every incarnation of Crossbones throughout the Marvel multiverse is a villain. It just means the writers of this game are treating him like a villain here. And their decisions, just like that of comic book authors, is definitive.

So basically crossbones is not Merc even if in his Bio says is merc.... Interesting 🤔

I am surprised that even Killmonger is not a Merc..
  • Options
    AverageDesiAverageDesi Posts: 5,260 ★★★★★

DNA3000 said:

Crossbones is a mercenary in the colloquial sense, he works for money. But he leans more towards villainy in the sense the #merc tag implies. The champions tagged #mercenary tend to be champions that have no strong lean towards heroic or villainous behavior, but are more neutral, working for both sides. Crossbones is far more villainous than he is purely mercenary.

Tags (like classes) are a judgment call. The tag doesn't define the members with the tag, it is just a label. #Avengers doesn't mean "was a member of the Avengers" because that would be practically everybody, and it doesn't mean "is a member of the Avengers at this moment in time" because that changes over time, but we don't change the tags. It doesn't even specify what universe, dimension, or timeline is being referenced. The tag is inspired by the source material, but doesn't have an explicitly set of rules for who gets the tag. It is whomever the designer - in consultation with Marvel itself - feels the tag is appropriate to.

Crossbones is a villain in the universe of the MCOC Battlerealm. That doesn't mean every incarnation of Crossbones throughout the Marvel multiverse is a villain. It just means the writers of this game are treating him like a villain here. And their decisions, just like that of comic book authors, is definitive.

So basically crossbones is not Merc even if in his Bio says is merc.... Interesting 🤔

I am surprised that even Killmonger is not a Merc..
    Vision aarkus has "DIMENSIONAL " in his bio but he does not have it in his tags
  • Options
    AverageDesiAverageDesi Posts: 5,260 ★★★★★

@DNA3000 discovering that writing a thesis doesn’t make it right 👀

He's correct. Tags are given by writers if the game in corroboration with Marvel themselves. There's nothing more to be said on this matter unless the writers decide to change it.
  • Options

DNA3000 said:

No, that's not what I said. What I said is that the #merc tag doesn't just mean the champion satisfies the dictionary definition of the word mercenary, any more than having the #elder tag means the champion satisfies the dictionary definition of the word elder.

The tags are labels, not job descriptions. The same thing comes up with the Dimensional tag (which doesn't mean the champion lists an alternate dimension on their drivers license) or the Avengers tag (which doesn't mean that at one time in a movie someone called them an Avenger) or even the Robot tag (Nebula does not meet the dictionary definition of a robot). These tags are simplifications translating complex concepts into simple game mechanics. That's all.
  • Options
    DNA3000 said:

DNA3000 said:

No, that's not what I said. What I said is that the #merc tag doesn't just mean the champion satisfies the dictionary definition of the word mercenary, any more than having the #elder tag means the champion satisfies the dictionary definition of the word elder.

The tags are labels, not job descriptions. The same thing comes up with the Dimensional tag (which doesn't mean the champion lists an alternate dimension on their drivers license) or the Avengers tag (which doesn't mean that at one time in a movie someone called them an Avenger) or even the Robot tag (Nebula does not meet the dictionary definition of a robot). These tags are simplifications translating complex concepts into simple game mechanics. That's all.
    I understand this. For example Namor is tagged as Avengers since u talking about it. Even Black widow White Origin is tagged as Avengers.

Then I can understand there is a reason behind to give or not at same champs the tag of dimensional, villain, mercenary or avengers.

But I would like if someone from kabam can just give some info abt it, that's it.
  • Options
    ChaosMax1012ChaosMax1012 Posts: 3,091 ★★★★★
    DNA3000 said:

Only on the internet where 280 characters expresses a noteworthy thought is 224 words considered a thesis, and accusing someone of utilizing too much literacy is considered a clever knock.

Posting 224 words about a single thought doesn't make me right. It just means I have more than two functioning brain cells and they have a connection to my fingers. If it looks like a thesis to you, this does not bode well for your post middle school educational experiences.
    Don’t let the disagree spammers get to ya. Actually makes sense as he indeed is a merc but mercenary work can’t go biased, otherwise the opposers will lose trust in their paid avails. Mercs only care for payment, whereas crossbones would never accept an offer from a hero with his urge of hatred towards them, or just simply wants to make all hell break loose, thus making him a villain :)
  • Options

DNA3000 said:

Only on the internet where 280 characters expresses a noteworthy thought is 224 words considered a thesis, and accusing someone of utilizing too much literacy is considered a clever knock.

Posting 224 words about a single thought doesn't make me right. It just means I have more than two functioning brain cells and they have a connection to my fingers. If it looks like a thesis to you, this does not bode well for your post middle school educational experiences.
    Don’t let the disagree spammers get to ya. Actually makes sense as he indeed is a merc but mercenary work can’t go biased, otherwise the opposers will lose trust in their paid avails. Mercs only care for payment, whereas crossbones would never accept an offer from a hero with his urge of hatred towards them, or just simply wants to make all hell break loose, thus making him a villain :)
    Its all good. Disagree spamming doesn't really bother me. When the disagree flag came out, I said back then and I still believe that disagree spamming would just devalue the disagree button to the point where no one cares about it anymore, and in fact few people do, mostly new forum members and people with limited experience on the internet. Today, the disagree flag sits in the dust bin with "boycotts" as things that have become their own self-parody.

Calling any post I make that can't fit in a tweet a "thesis" also doesn't bother me all that much in terms of taking it personally. It does make me wonder if I'm living in the prequel to Idiocracy, but if that means that one day I can vote for President Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho, I guess that's a fair trade.

When I first joined the forums, almost no one was posting more than four sentences at a time, and most of my posts were ridiculed for being long. But I knew I was making progress when it went from people making fun of the fact they were long to making fun of every part of the long post. It meant they were at least reading them. And now, people aren't afraid to make long posts, as long as they actually contain meaningful content. Not long like mine in this thread, but genuinely long (like mine everywhere else). I like to think I played a small role in giving cover to people who wanted to discuss things in more detail. That's worth a million disagrees flags, and it is why I'm never going to take seriously someone who thinks hitting post size matters. That's like making fun of someone's charitable donations because they come on preprinted Snoopy checks.

Also, I'm kinda old. Not in real world terms, but in internet terms I'm ancient. Among other things, I'm a USENET veteran, which means I'm both bulletproof and clad in asbestos. And I used to live on MMO message boards in the mid to late 2000s, which means I'm also dead inside.
  • Options

DNA3000 said:

DNA3000 said:

just a joke chill. my bad not everybody finds a way to stretch yes or no into a paragraph.
    I have to say, this is actually pretty well-crafted performance art.
  • Options
    MisterSwinMisterSwin Posts: 20

DNA3000 said:

Not sure what hero would hire him..
  • Options
    Denslo500Denslo500 Posts: 905 ★★★
    Sooo if you tend to be a hero, then you shouldn’t be listed as a Merc??

Luke Cage??

Oh, well, see he was in a group called “Heros For Hire”, so Merc.

Ohhhh, so his business partner is a Merc too right??

Iron Fist? Uhhhh. Hmmm.