**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.

Will v34.0 Resolve Frame Rate Issues?

DrZolaDrZola Posts: 8,542 ★★★★★
edited January 2022 in General Discussion
I realize v34.0 in March will start the Input Refactor implementation and testing in game, but it’s worth mentioning that even on a Pro Max with full bars of high speed WiFi, frames continue to crunch along at certain times in fights—especially during a longish battle.

Case in point would be the Asgardian Cheese challenge I completed yesterday—I don’t know how to describe it other than to say that it appeared as though the rate at which frames rendered on my device slowed and even “skipped” during fights. Sort of like when you draw a cartoon on the corner of a notepad and flip through the pages to create “motion.” Maybe even a little like the stuttery feel of light and shadows through a zoetrope. Those are the most analogous ways I can think to describe it.

No game mode is exempt. But it’s especially bad in AW and higher level questing.

Clearly, I still enjoy the game because I’m playing it and spending precious time on the forums. But a sense of despair is setting in for me. This doesn’t seem to be getting appreciably better (at least on my device).

I’ve taken @DNA3000 advice and turned off as many notifications and possible disruptions as I can find on my phone, but it hasn’t resulted in lasting improvement.

Perhaps I am the only one experiencing this issue. But I wonder whether v34.0 will “fix” what still appears to be a janky, stuttering frame rendering. Is this steady state until March/April? Is there anything that can be done to ameliorate it in the meantime?

To the mods: please don’t reflexively relegate this to a back page of the forums.

Dr. Zola

Comments

• Champ_ZChamp_Z Posts: 155
    Nope.
  • World EaterWorld Eater Posts: 3,564 ★★★★★
    Doubt it
  • _colo_colo Posts: 50
    Its not just you. I've been seeing this issue for some time myself. Just had it happen again this morning as I was working through 7.3.5. I thought they said they had a release a month or two back that was supposed to address this. I haven't see any change. Its still bad.
  • ChovnerChovner Posts: 1,139 ★★★★★
    Same here, I've deleted apps to make as much free space on my phone and made sure I closed all aps and restarted the game to start fresh whenever I decided to play for a bit, but after a minute in the game it would start lagging like crazy and it gets progressively worse the more fights you do.
  • ChovnerChovner Posts: 1,139 ★★★★★
    I do the same as you also, in checking my Ping, Down and Up speeds when I see it happening, but that's never the issue.
    I'm also confident it's not my phone since I can jump to playing multiple other high graphic games and see little to no latency, or my phone getting hot during gameplay. Oh yeah I still have the issue of my phone getting noticeably hot after about 10-15 mins of play time (iPhone 8)
  • DrZolaDrZola Posts: 8,542 ★★★★★
    DNA3000 said:

DrZola said:

I’m happy to troubleshoot whatever I need to on my end. Running speed test, I consistently get results like these:

I’m certainly not a web expert, but those speeds are more than sufficient to stream content on one device while surfing across several others with no noticeable issues.

If that’s not good enough for MCoC,
    I’m happy to learn why and how.

Dr. Zola

Actually, 21% loss is so ridiculously high, I have to suspect it is a tester app malfunction. At that level of packet loss all bets would be off on how stably you could consistently communicate. I don't know how that much packet loss would affect MCOC, but for any reasonable network test that would be completely off the chart. For reference, anything above 2% is something I would report to a customer as "messed up."
    Interesting. Just ran trio of tests using same Speedtest app and loss numbers were 20%, 12% and 6%.

Dr. Zola
  • DaddriedaDaddrieda Posts: 1,567 ★★★★
    It’s not much but turning off everything in the setting while leaving network for the game and then turn the device into airplane but allowing WiFi to continue having connection so your game can remain active. The difference is that folks is not able to call you during airplane mode, might be different for others?, and I can’t really explain it but the game remained more active... you see... the game usually shut down after about 15-20 minutes and this improved it up to 40 minutes. This is on iPad mini 4.

Samsung Galaxy s7 edge = s7 edge being more older than iPad mini 4 somehow the s7 Edge performs much much better than iPad version. No kicking, no stuttering and so on and I really don’t know why the difference is big. I don’t think this help you, but maybe?
  • AverageDesiAverageDesi Posts: 5,260 ★★★★★
    DrZola said:

I’m happy to troubleshoot whatever I need to on my end. Running speed test, I consistently get results like these:

I’m certainly not a web expert, but those speeds are more than sufficient to stream content on one device while surfing across several others with no noticeable issues.

Dr. Zola

Significantly lower speed but no issues with gameplay

DrZola said:

Dr. Zola

100%. Crazy I’m getting loss like I am.

Dr. Zola
  • nOuxnOux Posts: 522 ★★★
    It has nothing to do with your gameplay. Im getting same stuttering issues and my internet speeds are fine. Its the game engine, not the internet packet loss.

• DrZola said:

Dr. Zola

I tested with the same speedtest app just for giggles and I also saw zero percent packet loss. I'm at a loss to explain how anyone could get such high packet loss numbers legitimately, and not see crazy awful performance everywhere, not just in MCOC.
  • nOux said:

It has nothing to do with your gameplay. Im getting same stuttering issues and my internet speeds are fine. Its the game engine, not the internet packet loss.

I wouldn't be so quick to judge. You're assuming everyone is having the same issues in the same way for the same reasons. But the Android players cannot be having identical problems to the iOS players because the platforms aren't identical, and in fact over the years Android players have often reported issues iOS players have not seen. Furthermore, even though we're all running basically the same game client within the same OS ecosystem, everyone isn't reporting the same issues even on the same platform. We can't be sure different players aren't experiencing different issues because of situational differences that vary between players.
    Im not assuming anything, im just saying that internet speed has nothing to do with stuttering in gameplay. Its not like a peer to peer or any other connection game that depends on direct client/server tick rate that is affected with up/down speed or inconsistent connection. Internet connection only affects the latency of how long does it take to exchange data between servers and client, like clicking on the node that u want to move, etc.
    Just to prove a point I have completely crippled my internet speed and i have exactly same performance in gameplay.

• nOux said:

Im not assuming anything, im just saying that internet speed has nothing to do with stuttering in gameplay. Its not like a peer to peer or any other connection game that depends on direct client/server tick rate that is affected with up/down speed or inconsistent connection. Internet connection only affects the latency of how long does it take to exchange data between servers and client, like clicking on the node that u want to move, etc.
    Just to prove a point I have completely crippled my internet speed and i have exactly same performance in gameplay.

Yes, I've done those experiments as well. I've literally turned internet forwarding off at the firewall and combat still flows. But that's not the whole story: you're assuming if the *game* doesn't need internet, internet performance can't affect the game.

It can. As it turns out, if your internet performance is super crappy *and* you have things like iOS notifications turned on, the crappy internet performance can affect iOS itself, and then cause performance problems in all apps that need a lot of performance or are running borderline on resources, like MCOC. I've had background notifications scramble the performance of my game, where it was reproducible that under certain gameplay conditions the right kind of background notification created the same problem on my platform for extended periods of time.

The issues people are seeing are not all straight forward game client - internet - servers issues. If that were true, everyone with the same device running the same version of the game client and using essentially identical internet services would see the same thing. But that's not happening: two people using the same phone, running the same patch level, doing the same things, with internet connections that appear on the surface to have identical performance are not all seeing the same problems. Some are seeing a lot of problems, some only intermittent issues, and some none at all. That means whatever the root cause of the problems are, that root cause is being influenced in at least some cases by external environmental differences, or situational complexities that are not obvious. *A lot* of cumulative testing and careful comparing notes with other players has seemed to confirm this.
    edited February 2022
    First of all you need to stop assuming that i am assuming anything.
    No one in here is saying anything that this games does not need internet connection. It needs internet connection only to sync data between servers and client. This data if completely different from sending live input data to servers back and forward that can cause any performance degradations. U can do a little bit of different test, enter battle and then on your router release connection on your WAN settings. What u will see is that u can still play this game without any internet connection and without any issues for about 30seconds or maybe more, up until game client will disconnect your from game because of timeout between server and client.
    I dont know why are u mentioning notifications, its completely different from direct internet connection. Notifications are using your phone system to use gpu/cpu resources. Yes ofc notifications can cause stuttering because its directly using your phones hardware to achieve what iOS is requesting it to do and it can affect framerate while interfering with game.
    This game is really badly optimised due to many integrations to its engine. It causes random memory leaks, and it affects differently each phone, even on the same device with exactly same specifications u will have different issues.
    Just like i said the beginning, it has nothing to do with your internet connection its all has to do with game engine.
    My packet loss has miraculously disappeared. Strange…

No complaints, but I’m also done for the evening and will see what it looks like/how it plays tomorrow.

Dr. Zola
  • AverageDesiAverageDesi Posts: 5,260 ★★★★★
    DrZola said:

No complaints, but I’m also done for the evening and will see what it looks like/how it plays tomorrow.

Dr. Zola

Wonder how ping affects this
  • nOux said:

First of all you need to stop assuming that i am assuming anything.

I am not saying you’re *assuming* something wrong. I’m saying you’re *stating* something that is false. You keep saying internet connection quality cannot affect the performance of the game. This is a false statement. You say the game doesn’t need internet connectivity during combat. This is true. You imply this proves no game performance issue can be due to bad internet connectivity. This is false.

*Most* game studdering or other anomalies are likely to be due to resource contention or some other performance issue within the engine. But they cannot *all* be due to the engine, because we have unambiguous evidence of other causes. Overheating on some platforms have caused this issue as well as other throttling issues, and inconsistently across different players playing on the same type of device. We have direct evidence that in some other cases certain background tasks have also caused these issues. So when we’re discussing what could be causing any one particular player’s issues, we shouldn’t be too quick to dismiss platform differences that wouldn’t commonly cause problems.

Or to put it another way, *I* am not going to be quick to dismiss marginal information given the complexity of the problem. *You* are free to do so, but with all due respect what are you doing to investigate the issue, that your troubleshooting judgment is meaningful to anyone?
  • DrZola said:

Dr. Zola

I’m curious to see if packet loss has any impact, or if it was just a weird anomaly that has no effect. Coincidences do happen. For a few weeks a while back I saw both deteriorating YouTube streaming performance and slower loading times in MCOC, and it turned out someone moved in next door and deployed a bunch of Wi-Fi routers that were using adjacent channels. Switched it up a bit and problem went away.

Another possibility: for about a month or two I’ve been seeing fewer crashes, but more odd “pauses” that are happening during combat that are unusual for me, having rarely seen similar issues in the past. Not stutters that affect inputs, but literal pauses. I suspect this is part of a separate set of changes to address memory leaks in some of the resource allocation heavy parts of the game (it is something a few of us reported to the devs during testing). I’m not seeing what you’re seeing, but maybe you’re seeing a different version of what I’m seeing.
    edited February 2022
    Just a quick reminder about framerate and all control issues in game.

Looks like u figured out how to fix it. Its not the game but everyones crappy internet.
  • ReferenceReference Posts: 2,899 ★★★★★

I found those lags or sudden dash forward issues getting worse this month vs last month. I finished exploitation of all MEQ and SQ, the impact is particular obvious in arena. I stopped grinding since last week.

My internet environment support 4K streaming without any lags. I think the internet setup of players is not the key factor in this particular issue.