**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.
Options

Spidey's rogue gallery is underwhelming in MCOC

MysterioMysterio Posts: 1,068 ★★★★
Venom is an awesome champion in MCOC, no doubt about that. However when you take a look at the other iconic Spidey villains we got in MCOC I can't help but feel dissapointed.

Doctor Octopus ----> decent champion, fell of a lot overtime.
Green Goblin ----> Never been good.
Rhino ----> Trash outside of some variant cheese.
Electro ----> Only good for some specific shock cheese.
Vulture ----> Decent after the buff, however still lacking.
Mysterio ----> Best looking villain by far, but could use some love to make him more valuable.
Carnage ----> Pure damage character that needs some build up, not much to do for him in MCOC.
Kraven -----> An annoying defender, underwhelming attacker.

I really hope that Scorpion will be another Venom or that we could see some buffs to the other villains at some point.

Comments

• Options
    SquirrelguySquirrelguy Posts: 2,635 ★★★★★
    I think the problem is that you’re comparing them to the full list of champions available today. Many Spidey villains were introduced multiple years back, and some at the very advent of the contest. Of course Rhino is pretty rough now, but that’s because he was made 7 years ago for a much simpler contest.

2015 - gave us Electro, Rhino, and Venom. Venom got the buff, but Electro and Rhino still pose mildly annoying defensive threats and were never really thought to be offensive champs in the first place.
    2017 - gave us Doc Oc, Carnage, Vulture, and green goblin. Doc Oc still slaps in my opinion, especially when duped, carnage is a fun and solid damage champ after a small buff, quite a few players love their Vulture after a small buff, and Green Goblin can still be a big pain on defense.

I’ll also note that these champions were not often the biggest villains in the comics. Before you start disagreeing, I’m referring not to popularity but general power level and overall impact in their universe. Sure they were good at being bad, but it’s not like Rhino or Electro were exactly comparable to Doom or Apocolypse or similar characters.

To me, the main Spidey villains average out at a pretty fair level, which is where I expect them to be. Maybe they’re underwhelming to you, but they perform decently overall (on average) and it makes sense for how they’ve been introduced.

We also always have the comparison of Thanos being pretty lame and other less-well-known characters being legit like quake and Ghost. Just how it happens.
  • Options
    ShadowstrikeShadowstrike Posts: 3,089 ★★★★★

I think the problem is that you’re comparing them to the full list of champions available today. Many Spidey villains were introduced multiple years back, and some at the very advent of the contest. Of course Rhino is pretty rough now, but that’s because he was made 7 years ago for a much simpler contest.

2015 - gave us Electro, Rhino, and Venom. Venom got the buff, but Electro and Rhino still pose mildly annoying defensive threats and were never really thought to be offensive champs in the first place.
    2017 - gave us Doc Oc, Carnage, Vulture, and green goblin. Doc Oc still slaps in my opinion, especially when duped, carnage is a fun and solid damage champ after a small buff, quite a few players love their Vulture after a small buff, and Green Goblin can still be a big pain on defense.

I’ll also note that these champions were not often the biggest villains in the comics. Before you start disagreeing, I’m referring not to popularity but general power level and overall impact in their universe. Sure they were good at being bad, but it’s not like Rhino or Electro were exactly comparable to Doom or Apocolypse or similar characters.

To me, the main Spidey villains average out at a pretty fair level, which is where I expect them to be. Maybe they’re underwhelming to you, but they perform decently overall (on average) and it makes sense for how they’ve been introduced.

We also always have the comparison of Thanos being pretty lame and other less-well-known characters being legit like quake and Ghost. Just how it happens.

👆👆

Exactly. Guarantee you of any of the other Sinister Six were introduced today, their kits would be reflections of this change in Meta.
  • Options
    GMAX77GMAX77 Posts: 498 ★★★

I

This is where my mind went when I read the topic, though in all fairness actual powers and MCOC powers don't always match (as I look at Nick Fury dominate the Sentry).

I think in all fairness though I'd say that Dock Ock, Mysterio, and Carnage w/ Red Goblin synergy are all very solid. Red Goblin himself is also a Spidey villain, though he may not be considered a classic. Maybe Green Goblin will eventually get a buff and Scorpion looks like he may have potential as a modern champion to be added to the game.

All in all though, I would love to see Vulture, Rhino, and the rest of these fellas get some buff love, though now with the reduced buff schedule I'm not sure when we can expect to see that.