**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.
Options

Removing a champ from the rebalance list due to “world affairs”

DarkEternityDarkEternity Posts: 784 ★★★★
edited March 2022 in General Discussion
I understand this is such a minuscule and insignificant change but at the same time, I feel it’s unwarranted. I’m going to make the assumption that the champ removed was Russian (please do correct me if I’m wrong) and they were removed due to the current war taking place. I can understand where Kabam is coming from on this. However, it comes with some interesting concerns on my end.

The fact they are removing this champ from the rebalance simply because of a single, arguably corrupt, leader is rather extreme. It brings up concerns that I believe are quite warranted. Concerns that are derived from this because of the current state of world affairs. It isn’t the Russian people’s or even soldier’s fault that this war is happening. To me, it seems unfair to simply remove a champ that represents a nation and its people. Personally, it seems to be discriminatory in nature.

Keep in mind, I am not saying that Kabam is being racist in implementing this change. Rather, I’m trying to grasp the reasoning behind this. Why is this being changed purely because of the state of the world affairs? I highly doubt anyone playing is cringing at the sight of a Russian champion. I understand how it could be viewed as a controversial issue but at the same time, these are comic book characters. I think each Russian hero represents their people in some way and with that could bring more support to both sides.

I understand this is all just my opinion and I understand others disagree. I just thought I’d bring this topic up as I am trying to understand the meaning behind this change. In the end, Russians are people just like everyone else in the world. They are suffering because of this war too and it’s because of their incompetent leaders that this is happening, not because of them. I just ask that this be brought up as it’s something we need to consider moving forward with changes in the game because of real world situations.

(Additionally I ask that everyone remain as civil as possible, I did not create this post to make assumptions or garner speculation. I simply created it to have a humane discussion about this change and what it means for the rest of the game. I hope you all have a wonderful day.)
Post edited by Kabam Miike on

Comments

• Options
    SpideyFunkoSpideyFunko Posts: 21,806 ★★★★★
    the only two Russian champs I think need a buff aren’t that common to begin with so unless it was like red Guardian I don’t think it would’ve affected me anyways

i agree that it is kind of ridiculous but it is what it is

(plus going by the previous buffs I don’t have a lot of faith to begin with so less disappointment is fine by me)
  • Options
    AverageDesiAverageDesi Posts: 5,260 ★★★★★
    It's probably red guardian who is a Russian soldier or secret agent iirc. That would place him at the height of the conflict if it existed in comics.

Also the best guesses we have are speculative and that can lead to some wild opinions and accusations.
  • Options
    GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Posts: 36,247 ★★★★★
    I'd say it's a reasonable decision. They may not get politically involved, but that doesn't mean they want to seem insensitive either.
  • Options
    FadedDragon999FadedDragon999 Posts: 104
    I think I'm missing something. Did Kabam say something about a buff being cancelled? I must seriously be out of the loop
  • Options

the only two Russian champs I think need a buff aren’t that common to begin with so unless it was like red Guardian I don’t think it would’ve affected me anyways

i agree that it is kind of ridiculous but it is what it is

(plus going by the previous buffs I don’t have a lot of faith to begin with so less disappointment is fine by me)

Yeah, I was thinking along the same lines. It just struck a nerve because it didn’t seem rational in my eyes.
  • Options

I think it’s a tough decision for Kabam. This buff was clearly planned before the invasion began, what are they supposed to do?

In the end, they’ve probably made the safer and more respectful choice. They mentioned not wanting to celebrate the champion at this moment and I feel it’s a good call, imagine being Ukrainian or having links to there and trying to switch off from the real world for a bit, and the Russian champion gets a buff. It wouldn’t make many angry, but it may just be an unneeded reminder.

Better to buff a Russian champion at a more reasonable moment in time in my view.

As a side note, I think you’ve put your opinion across very respectfully OP.

I must say, very logical and reasonable conclusion. It certainly does make sense from that viewpoint. I wasn’t thinking along the lines of “reminder” so much as “anger” (as I know a good bit of Ukrainians aren’t angry at the general populace of Russia, but the government) so that actually makes a bit more sense.
  • Options

I think I'm missing something. Did Kabam say something about a buff being cancelled? I must seriously be out of the loop

@FadedDragon999

https://forums.playcontestofchampions.com/en/discussion/298622/delaying-champion-attributes-and-champion-balance-updates

Here’s where they state it, it’s at the bottom of the post.
This discussion has been closed.