**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.

Battlegrounds Cheating

Batty_NumppoBatty_Numppo Posts: 288 ★★★
edited October 2022 in General Discussion
Is there a way to have a discussion on here about the obvious and rampant cheating in battlegrounds without having it deleted or closed? I don’t care about individual players, I’m not naming anyone and I ask anyone who replies to do the same. I just want to know what Kabam’s game plan is with these people. Because obviously telling us to report them isn’t going to solve it. This is the third go at this and every time it’s been a big issue. I think there should be a more focused approach from Kabam on this and am just curious what that is.
Post edited by Kabam Jax on

Comments

• TheBair123TheBair123 Posts: 5,344 ★★★★★

This game mode it's great but this kind of behaviour will discourage players to even try it.

Here is a list of ideas they could add...

* X months old accounts requirement.
    * X progress level in the game requirement (uncollected maybe?)
    * Hardware ban
    * An easy access button to report suspicious fights

A report button is something I'm going to raise with the team. There are locks on who can access the mode (Uncollected and above).
    there really needs to be some sort of function where if you're defeating a champ of x with x amount of health in x amount of time, then you are forced to get manually reviewed before you can play another match.

i've heard people say things like "if they win in under 10 seconds, they're a hacker." but there are cases where you're facing 4*s or lower and you can defeat them quickly because of the low health pool. but if you're beating a 100k health defender in under 10 seconds, you're just very obviously cheating.

i don't support insta-bans, because there might be some sort of glitch in the system where you could win in 0 seconds or something like that. but it's just unfair to let players like this keep playing until kabam gets around to looking at the report. and as we've seen the support can take a few days, so there are hackers who i'm sure are running wild for a few days until action is taken

are there any sort of talks about this? It’s much more efficient than waiting and going through every single case that’s reported
  • RicoShayRicoShay Posts: 222 ★★
    What stops cheating players from making new accounts when they're banned? The hackers I've reported from last Battlegrounds all made alternative accounts with (insert name)-is back/Hacks/Cheats etc. Is there not a more permanent method in banning these players to be device-specific bans with an appeal system or IP bans?
  • DemonzfyreDemonzfyre Posts: 20,974 ★★★★★
    edited May 2022
    RicoShay said:

What stops cheating players from making new accounts when they're banned? The hackers I've reported from last Battlegrounds all made alternative accounts with (insert name)-is back/Hacks/Cheats etc. Is there not a more permanent method in banning these players to be device-specific bans with an appeal system or IP bans?

IP mostly. Yes, they can use a VPN and I'm sure some will.but most kids these days probably won't go through the hassle.
  • Angryneeson52Angryneeson52 Posts: 445 ★★★
    Kabam needs to toss an algorithm in that takes fight times and cross and total attacks to better identify these modding accounts.
    Fight time first because obviously anyone winning in 10 seconds or less is probably modding.
    Second total number of attacks because it’s going to be more than 5.
  • Kabam needs to toss an algorithm in that takes fight times and cross and total attacks to better identify these modding accounts.
    Fight time first because obviously anyone winning in 10 seconds or less is probably modding.
    Second total number of attacks because it’s going to be more than 5.

That won't work though because of the example theblair123 pointed out
  • RicoShayRicoShay Posts: 222 ★★

RicoShay said:

IP mostly. Yes, they can use a VPN and I'm sure some will.but most kids these days probably won't go through the hassle.
    From what I remember running the game through a VPN or Emulator is reason enough for a ban. Some how they are able to track Emulators so I assume there are ways to track VPN's. What stops the game team from tracking suspicious behaviour on new accounts though? If they 5 hit kill the collector surely that brings up a red flag?
  • Panchulon21Panchulon21 Posts: 2,605 ★★★★★
    I had one yesterday destroy my rank 3 ibom with a rank 4 (5 star) sunspot in 30 seconds taking NO damage lol
  • World EaterWorld Eater Posts: 3,564 ★★★★★
    edited May 2022

The reason we ask for you to report players isn't just so we can investigate them one by one, but to help us identify how these individuals might be cheating so that we can work to prevent them and others from using the same methods when we find out what they are.

We have made huge strides in identifying how players might be cheating in-game, and have continued to evolve the ways in which we catch and punish them, but unfortunately, modders are also continuing to find new ways to cheat, and we need to continue to work to find those ways as well.

To be blunt, it sucks that players have to deal with this, and we're not happy about it either. We know that there is an issue here, and we're working to address it. Your reports help us do that.

Serious question, is Kabam still monitoring the Abyss for modders or cheaters ? I’ve come across 2 obvious modders in Battlegrounds who have abyss collector profile pics.
  • PikoluPikolu Posts: 6,639 Guardian
    DrDrill said:

This game mode it's great but this kind of behaviour will discourage players to even try it.

* Hardware ban

A report button is something I'm going to raise with the team. There are locks on who can access the mode (Uncollected and above).
    You do realize that almost all people who uses mod, already completed all content? including abyss, lol, variants..etc?
    All modders I encountered have Abyss collector pfp.
    so what's the point of limiting it to uncollected and above?

my suggestion is to group all cheaters together to fight each other in BG to troll them, how to do that?
    1- if fighting 5* r3 and above, the timer is less than 5 sec > insta ban or cheater tag
    2 - if defender defeated using 3 hits or less (except Quake, duh) > insta ban or cheater tag
    etc
    There is a game where they put all the hackers on a separate server without letting them know. I think it would be better to throw all the modders against each other so they don't just create a new account again.
    edited May 2022
    RicoShay said:

RicoShay said:

From what I remember running the game through a VPN or Emulator is reason enough for a ban. Some how they are able to track Emulators so I assume there are ways to track VPN's. What stops the game team from tracking suspicious behaviour on new accounts though? If they 5 hit kill the collector surely that brings up a red flag?
    Emulators yes, VPN no. VPN's will disqualify you from Legends titles and things like Summoner Showdowns. From what I assume, emulators add something to a game file that can make them detectible. I'm sure DNA3000 could tell you more but there are much easier ways to detect emulators. VPN's aren't that trackable, which is why they are used for a variety of things in the world.
  • BeeweeBeewee Posts: 533 ★★★★

RicoShay said:

If they're going through the hassle to mod the game they will 100% use a vpn to bypass a ban
    Beewee said:

RicoShay said:

If they're going through the hassle to mod the game they will 100% use a vpn to bypass a ban
    Maybe, maybe not. I'd be willing to be that most of the hackers we see in MCOC aren't very old.
  • StellarStellar Posts: 1,069 ★★★★

* Hardware ban

Report button would be great
    edited May 2022
    SCP1504 said:

* Hardware ban

Hi mike, why not show how many hits dealt and how many recived after the fight?
    This means that if i am skeptical at least ill have evidence for / against
    Also will help weed out the obvious cheaters
    You can see a hit streak under performance.

• RapRap Posts: 3,193 ★★★★
    edited May 2022
    When they are reported! And if it is determined they have cheated, their alliances should be examined as well! Because if they are cheating in BattleGrounds you can be sure they are cheating everywhere else. Particularly, something should be done if more than one from an alliance is caught cheating in BattleGrounds.
  • DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,657 Guardian
    RicoShay said:

The short answer is yes in theory, but extremely difficult in practice. A fundamental problem with F2P games is there's no skin in the game, which means anyone can make any number of accounts, and that combines with the fact that by default people are anonymous to the app operators. Which is to say, when I download a copy of MCOC, Kabam has no idea that me, the human typing this now, is doing that, and the App stores do not provide that information. Can you ban my phone instead? Yes and no, because app developers are no longer allowed to gather device specific information from phones anymore: both Apple and Google prevent this for privacy purposes.

There are complicated technical solutions, which Kabam is aware of (I know because I sent them pointers to them) but they all require substantial technical work to implement. And the technical implementation people have been a bit busy lately making my draggy-taps work.
  • AMS94AMS94 Posts: 1,776 ★★★★★

The reason we ask for you to report players isn't just so we can investigate them one by one, but to help us identify how these individuals might be cheating so that we can work to prevent them and others from using the same methods when we find out what they are.

We have made huge strides in identifying how players might be cheating in-game, and have continued to evolve the ways in which we catch and punish them, but unfortunately, modders are also continuing to find new ways to cheat, and we need to continue to work to find those ways as well.

To be blunt, it sucks that players have to deal with this, and we're not happy about it either. We know that there is an issue here, and we're working to address it. Your reports help us do that.

Then may be the team should probably work on making reporting easier, convenient & more user friendly
    Currently it's too much of a hassle to report players
  • rockykostonrockykoston Posts: 1,505 ★★★★
    edited May 2022
    AMS94 said:

Then may be the team should probably work on making reporting easier, convenient & more user friendly
    Currently it's too much of a hassle to report players
    I think it's to discourage players from sending unnecessary reports.

Imagine a scenario where there's a report button under my name and you're just pissed that you lost.

You decide to report, it's great and all but more work for kabam to look at since I was probably not cheating.

In that case, do you think kabam should punish you for sending false reports?
  • ΑrchonΑrchon Posts: 20
    I'm beginning to believe that almost everyone is a cheater from a diamond and up 😄
  • Please stop bringing back old threads about this. Especially multiple. There have been many more recent discussions.
This discussion has been closed.