**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.
Options

Why are mythic and legendary crystal shards are so rare than 5* and 6* shards?

ShivacruxShivacrux Posts: 408 ★★★
I mean come on you know you will be getting 4* from legendary and 5* from mythic
Then what makes them to be so scarcely available
I mean by this time,they should replace grandmaster shards in arena
Your thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    我是Wayne我是Wayne Posts: 25
    Because they have a higher chance of getting 6*/4* and it’s another source of 4*/5*/6* sooo
  • Options
    我是Wayne我是Wayne Posts: 25
    Shivacrux said:

Because they have a higher chance of getting 6*/4* and it’s another source of 4*/5*/6* sooo

So that's why they are rarer than 6* shards??
    Honestly yes.I wouldn’t imagine making it more common because I’m sure Kabam wouldn’t want you to get more 6* regularly than you should.The current way to get 6* from crystals are just 6*/Cavs, nexuses included.With the addition of more ways to get 6* , it will surely decrease the value of cavs crystals which decreases the kabam’s revenue and I’m sure they would not want that.However, maybe they would slowly introduce mythic shards to cavs in the future??

• Options
    I've gotten 2 6* from the mythic crystals...they were groot and IF though haha
  • Options
    zuffyzuffy Posts: 2,149 ★★★★★
    I have open 3 mythic crystals. All 5*
  • Options
    ShivacruxShivacrux Posts: 408 ★★★
    Malreck04 said:

Shivacrux said:

Honestly yes.I wouldn’t imagine making it more common because I’m sure Kabam wouldn’t want you to get more 6* regularly than you should.The current way to get 6* from crystals are just 6*/Cavs, nexuses included.With the addition of more ways to get 6* , it will surely decrease the value of cavs crystals which decreases the kabam’s revenue and I’m sure they would not want that.However, maybe they would slowly introduce mythic shards to cavs in the future??

You don’t get it do you? If they wanted to control six stars, they would just control the distribution of six star shards, not a crystal with a chance at a six star
    This make sense than the long essay
  • Options
    Bugmat78Bugmat78 Posts: 2,140 ★★★★★
    I've gotten 2 or 3 six* but totally agree with OP - these shouldn't be rarer than 6* shards given it takes the same number of shards (10k) to form one. if it was 2k or 4k shards to form a mythic crystal then I could understand, but 10k shards to most likely get a 5*? Mythic shards are a bit of a myth :smiley:
  • Options
    Etm34Etm34 Posts: 1,644 ★★★★★
    They introduced mythic shards almost a year ago, and I’m barely halfway to forming my first one. I don’t get the stinginess around them, but if the trade off is more 6* shards I’m fine with it
  • Options
    SquirrelguySquirrelguy Posts: 2,635 ★★★★★
    I just formed my second Mythic. My first was 6* first dupe on KP, and second was a 6* Gambit.

I am an outlier though. I really don't understand why they are not making more use of these. I'm not saying I would prefer less 6* shards to be added, but these just seem like they were a great idea that someone totally forgot about.
  • Options
    K00shMaanK00shMaan Posts: 1,289 ★★★★
    This is a serious question .. Has anyone actually formed a Legendary Crystal? I still have not. I think I've formed 2 Mythic Crystals and they were both 5*.
  • Options
    DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,682 Guardian
    Shivacrux said:

Yes.

I know what you're thinking. If 6* crystals guarantee 6* champs and mythic crystals only have a chance to drop 6* champs, then mythic crystals should be more common than 6* crystals. But why?

The mythic crystal is a random rarity crystal. It has much better odds than grandmaster crystals or cavs. So they are much rarer than those. But 6* crystals are not random rarity crystals. You're guaranteed to get a 6* champ. So they aren't valued relative to the random rarity crystals.

It this still doesn't seem obvious, consider someone getting paid a salary for a job, and that occasionally gets a performance bonus. The paycheck comes regularly, twice a month. The performance bonus is far rarer, maybe once a year, maybe even less frequently than that. Because the performance bonus is rarer, does that mean it should be higher than paychecks? Lower? Obviously, the answer is: that's a nonsensical question. There's no direct relationship between the two. They serve different purposes.

6* shards serve a specific purpose: feeding 6* champs to players at a certain rate based on their game play (or purchasing). But GMCs, Cavs, and Mythics don't have that same purpose. They are there specifically to introduce luck and random chance into the game. The amount of those that a player gets is not directly related to the amount of 6* champs they get per unit time. A particular player could get more 6* champs on average from random rarity crystals than 6* crystals, or they could get more 6* champs on average from 6* rarity crystals than random rarity crystals, depending on their own circumstances. There is absolutely no reason to tie the two together.
  • Options
    Bugmat78Bugmat78 Posts: 2,140 ★★★★★
    DNA3000 said:

Shivacrux said:

Yes.

I know what you're thinking. If 6* crystals guarantee 6* champs and mythic crystals only have a chance to drop 6* champs, then mythic crystals should be more common than 6* crystals. But why?

The mythic crystal is a random rarity crystal. It has much better odds than grandmaster crystals or cavs. So they are much rarer than those. But 6* crystals are not random rarity crystals. You're guaranteed to get a 6* champ. So they aren't valued relative to the random rarity crystals.

It this still doesn't seem obvious, consider someone getting paid a salary for a job, and that occasionally gets a performance bonus. The paycheck comes regularly, twice a month. The performance bonus is far rarer, maybe once a year, maybe even less frequently than that. Because the performance bonus is rarer, does that mean it should be higher than paychecks? Lower? Obviously, the answer is: that's a nonsensical question. There's no direct relationship between the two. They serve different purposes.

6* shards serve a specific purpose: feeding 6* champs to players at a certain rate based on their game play (or purchasing). But GMCs, Cavs, and Mythics don't have that same purpose. They are there specifically to introduce luck and random chance into the game. The amount of those that a player gets is not directly related to the amount of 6* champs they get per unit time. A particular player could get more 6* champs on average from random rarity crystals than 6* crystals, or they could get more 6* champs on average from 6* rarity crystals than random rarity crystals, depending on their own circumstances. There is absolutely no reason to tie the two together.
    None of that justifies the number of shards it takes to make one though, even if you agree with the reason for the rarity.

All other RNG crystals like this are 2000-4000 shards including Legendary. Mythic crystals are 10,000 shards. No argument will make buying them worthwhile in the current game economy, as long as the exchange rate is so "inflated" in addition to their scarcity. When deals come around with them (usually in place of 6* shards) I, as a spender, usually ignore them
  • Options
    DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,682 Guardian
    Bugmat78 said:

DNA3000 said:

Shivacrux said:

Yes.

None of that justifies the number of shards it takes to make one though, even if you agree with the reason for the rarity.

All other RNG crystals like this are 2000-4000 shards including Legendary. Mythic crystals are 10,000 shards. No argument will make buying them worthwhile in the current game economy, as long as the exchange rate is so "inflated" in addition to their scarcity. When deals come around with them (usually in place of 6* shards) I, as a spender, usually ignore them
    The game makes no attempt to argue that you should buy them, or anything else for that matter. And in fact opportunities to directly buy Mythic crystals are uncommon, and shards even rarer. They are more typically added into bundles of offers. That's not an accident.

The fact that you don't buy them or ignore them is not in and of itself meaningful, because most offers do not target everyone. The fact that you aren't attracted to their value is not just unremarkable, it could very well be deliberate.
  • Options
    Charlie21540Charlie21540 Posts: 929 ★★★★
    Honestly there should be more places to obtain these shards. Can't believe how scarce they are.
  • Options
    GrassKnucklesGrassKnuckles Posts: 1,923 ★★★★★
    They’re bad who cares, I’ll take both more 5* and 6* shards
  • Options
    solopolosolopolo Posts: 883 ★★★
    DNA3000 said:

Bugmat78 said:

DNA3000 said:

Shivacrux said:

Yes.

The game makes no attempt to argue that you should buy them, or anything else for that matter. And in fact opportunities to directly buy Mythic crystals are uncommon, and shards even rarer. They are more typically added into bundles of offers. That's not an accident.

The fact that you don't buy them or ignore them is not in and of itself meaningful, because most offers do not target everyone. The fact that you aren't attracted to their value is not just unremarkable, it could very well be deliberate.
    Why even have them in the first place though, rather than simply increasing cav crystal shard income? I'm sure I've missed a decent amount of chances to grab mythic shards, but ever since they've been implemented into the game I've never completed a crystal, and currently sit at 4700 shards after claiming the 2500 from this season's AW solo event. And honestly I forget they even exist until I happen to scroll down to open a 6* crystal and see them at the bottom of the screen. What's the point in putting these shards in event rewards or offers if they're completely unusable for months, only for you to eventually open a single crystal and more likely than not pull a champ you don't particularly care for, potentially at a tier that renders the pull completely useless outside of giving a small portion of ISO?

This is a common problem that I see with Kabam. They give higher tier rewards in either incredibly small increments, or in the case of mythic shards, too far apart to ever matter. I see significantly more value from the grandmaster shards I get out of arenas than the cav shards from the TB weekly calendar, just because I know for a fact I'll be able to open enough crystals to get something significant, even if it's not a new champ, and it won't take literal years to do so just because there's no other way to get these shards. I'm not nearly as bothered with the small portions of items coming out of the monthly calendar because those serve more as a top-up in addition to all other areas from which you can get these same resources, but when the top-up is the only way you can possibly get a resource, it becomes entirely pointless.