**WINTER OF WOE - BONUS OBJECTIVE POINT**
As previously announced, the team will be distributing an additional point toward milestones to anyone who completed the Absorbing Man fight in the first step of the Winter of Woe.
This point will be distributed at a later time as it requires the team to pull and analyze data.
The timeline has not been set, but work has started.
There is currently an issue where some Alliances are are unable to find a match in Alliance Wars, or are receiving Byes without getting the benefits of the Win. We will be adjusting the Season Points of the Alliances that are affected within the coming weeks, and will be working to compensate them for their missed Per War rewards as well.

Additionally, we are working to address an issue where new Members of an Alliance are unable to place Defenders for the next War after joining. We are working to address this, but it will require a future update.

You tube monetisation

Can I monetise my tutorial videos of MCOC by enabling ads or is it illegal?

Comments

• It is alright :smile:
  • tuposacptuposacp Posts: 165
    Thanks for the info but it would be nice any moderator could answer so that I can Rest In Peace lol
  • GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Posts: 36,193 ★★★★★
    That has to do with YouTube's TOS. You are free to make money on YouTube for your own content. Many YouTubers do.
  • We don't stop anybody from making videos about the game, and what you decide to do with your channel is up to you. In fact, we have a newly created (still spooling it up slowly) Content Creator program that you can look into as well! You can check out the information about that here: http://forums.playcontestofchampions.com/en/discussion/19157/announcing-the-start-of-our-content-creators-program
    Aright time to work !
    DNA3000 wrote: »
    That has to do with YouTube's TOS. You are free to make money on YouTube for your own content. Many YouTubers do.

Even though @Kabam Miike addressed this, I feel compelled to point out that your response is entirely incorrect and dangerous. Youtube's terms of service have nothing whatsoever to do with whether or not you are allowed to monetize gaming tutorials and let's plays. The publisher of the game has the right to limit what you can upload to Youtube and under what conditions if they so choose. The fact that Kabam has a content creator program is a pretty good hint that Kabam does not want to limit people uploading youtube videos of gameplay but they could at any time require people to not monetize them if they wanted to.

The OP asked a reasonable question that only a Kabam representative could definitively answer, even though we could deduce from other content creators that it was likely okay.

For context, Nintendo is notoriously awful in this regard. There isn't enough space in a forum post to explain it all, but suffice to say for game channels on Youtube, Nintendo is as radioactive as Chernobyl. You can't even be sure you're going to be okay if you literally copy the conduct of another Youtube channel operator. The intellectual property rules surrounding Youtube video monetization are so complex in the general case that I don't believe there exists anyone on Earth, in or out of Google, that can claim to be an expert on the subject.

In any case, guessing how many moons Neptune has incorrectly isn't likely going to hurt anyone. But guessing incorrectly about legal rights can do a lot of damage under the right circumstances, and should be avoided.

YouTube governs what you can and cannot publish. They also encourage their Users to Advertise. Now, we know it is allowed because YouTubers in this community in fact do it. The TOS for monetizing is handled by YouTube, and they are responsible for any legal restrictions, and indicate such. If it was an issue with Kabam's TOS, it would be indicated in the TOS. I'm not guessing so much as pointing out that YouTube handles its own Copyright Violations.
  • Mr_OtterMr_Otter Posts: 1,614 ★★★
    Unless Kabam gets mad and does a copyright strike YouTube will just kinda let you be so long as you’re not doing anything stupid. The main thing is videos from other sources (mostly involving critics like Nastolgia Critic, Cinema Sins, and the like who use clips from movies to talk about them) which are CONSTANTLY getting flagged automatically thanks to the way their detection method works
    Yes I know it has nothing to do with YouTube and there is no clear statement in tos of Kabam that’s why I asked about monetising. Since it’s clear I’m glad that there’s no issue.
  • DNA3000 wrote: »

Even though @Kabam Miike addressed this, I feel compelled to point out that your response is entirely incorrect and dangerous. Youtube's terms of service have nothing whatsoever to do with whether or not you are allowed to monetize gaming tutorials and let's plays. The publisher of the game has the right to limit what you can upload to Youtube and under what conditions if they so choose. The fact that Kabam has a content creator program is a pretty good hint that Kabam does not want to limit people uploading youtube videos of gameplay but they could at any time require people to not monetize them if they wanted to.

The OP asked a reasonable question that only a Kabam representative could definitively answer, even though we could deduce from other content creators that it was likely okay.

For context, Nintendo is notoriously awful in this regard. There isn't enough space in a forum post to explain it all, but suffice to say for game channels on Youtube, Nintendo is as radioactive as Chernobyl. You can't even be sure you're going to be okay if you literally copy the conduct of another Youtube channel operator. The intellectual property rules surrounding Youtube video monetization are so complex in the general case that I don't believe there exists anyone on Earth, in or out of Google, that can claim to be an expert on the subject.

In any case, guessing how many moons Neptune has incorrectly isn't likely going to hurt anyone. But guessing incorrectly about legal rights can do a lot of damage under the right circumstances, and should be avoided.

YouTube governs what you can and cannot publish. They also encourage their Users to Advertise. Now, we know it is allowed because YouTubers in this community in fact do it. The TOS for monetizing is handled by YouTube, and they are responsible for any legal restrictions, and indicate such. If it was an issue with Kabam's TOS, it would be indicated in the TOS. I'm not guessing so much as pointing out that YouTube handles its own Copyright Violations.

Sorry, not going to let you get away with this one. The OP specifically asked if they could monetize their tutorial videos: the post is right up there. You said some gibberish about the Youtube TOS allowing them to do that. This is false. You are now saying that their monetization TOS governs legal restrictions and implying that a youtuber should just leave this in the hands of Youtube.

That's idiotic, or would be for anyone who knew anything about what they were talking about. You are essentially inviting people to deliberately accrue copyright strikes against themselves rather than ask the copyright holders for guidance. That's digital suicide. Youtube doesn't shoot people emails telling them what they should and should not do. Youtube hands out strikes when a video is reported as a copyright violation. Strikes can kill all of your monetization throughout the channel, and in extreme cases can nuke your entire channel permanently. You don't do it and see what happens: especially not these days.

Its literally astounding to me you are so compelled to sound interesting about things you know nothing about that you would put actual people in harms way to do it. No one who knew anything about Youtube, no one who was familiar with the current situation regarding video game streaming or content creation, no one who had any experience dealing with Youtube's copyright strike system, would say any of the things you said, and would probably be genuinely nauseated by anyone willing to say it.

As I currently am.
  • Mr_Otter wrote: »
    Unless Kabam gets mad and does a copyright strike YouTube will just kinda let you be so long as you’re not doing anything stupid. The main thing is videos from other sources (mostly involving critics like Nastolgia Critic, Cinema Sins, and the like who use clips from movies to talk about them) which are CONSTANTLY getting flagged automatically thanks to the way their detection method works

I think if Kabam requested automatic scanning the current Youtubers would be getting flagged all the time, so the main issue would be manual reporting which they obviously don't do.

However, separate from the copyright strikes there seems to have been a significant uptick in automatic demonetization which the content creator community has been buzzing about lately. My recommendation is not making provocative titles or adding overly cute content tags, because apparently their automatic demonetization system has been getting pretty aggressive at times on content that is otherwise completely innocuous.
    Man you totally jammed him haha! Cut him slacks. It’s okay to misunderstand sometimes no ones perfect ;)
  • PedrobarraPedrobarra Posts: 41
    Lol two know it alls clashing on forums. Way to protect the people “in harms way” @DNA3000

And @GroundedWisdom you should probably change your name already
  • KestrelleKestrelle Posts: 441 ★★
    Pedrobarra wrote: »
    Lol two know it alls clashing on forums. Way to protect the people “in harms way” @DNA3000

And @GroundedWisdom you should probably change your name already

Except in this case, one actually is sharing legitimate, helpful information. The other has a disability where he craps out his mouth

Sorry, not going to let you get away with this one. The OP specifically asked if they could monetize their tutorial videos: the post is right up there. You said some gibberish about the Youtube TOS allowing them to do that. This is false. You are now saying that their monetization TOS governs legal restrictions and implying that a youtuber should just leave this in the hands of Youtube.

That's idiotic, or would be for anyone who knew anything about what they were talking about. You are essentially inviting people to deliberately accrue copyright strikes against themselves rather than ask the copyright holders for guidance. That's digital suicide. Youtube doesn't shoot people emails telling them what they should and should not do. Youtube hands out strikes when a video is reported as a copyright violation. Strikes can kill all of your monetization throughout the channel, and in extreme cases can nuke your entire channel permanently. You don't do it and see what happens: especially not these days.

Its literally astounding to me you are so compelled to sound interesting about things you know nothing about that you would put actual people in harms way to do it. No one who knew anything about Youtube, no one who was familiar with the current situation regarding video game streaming or content creation, no one who had any experience dealing with Youtube's copyright strike system, would say any of the things you said, and would probably be genuinely nauseated by anyone willing to say it.

As I currently am.

Seems like you're looking to start an argument over nothing, considering the question has been answered. Spare me the dramatization over my response.
  • Alright, the question has been answered and this thread is going off the rails, so I'm closing it down now.
This discussion has been closed.