**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.
Options

5* awakening gems

ChovnerChovner Posts: 1,142 ★★★★★
Ever since the 2021 holiday item trade in event debacle where a lot of us (myself included) went through an ordeal trading up and trying to acquire awakening gems to be able to trade up for a 6* AG, I haven’t even looked at or thought about using a 5* awakening gem JUST IN CASE the same thing happens this year. Anyone else completely stifle themselves from using their 5* AGs for the same reason?

Comments

• Options
    ck87_ck87_ Posts: 45
    i do
  • Options
    BocksaroxBocksarox Posts: 329 ★★★
    Yep, absolutely, and if I remember correctly they did say the trade event would come back.
  • Options
    Bwer777Bwer777 Posts: 38
    I was taking a break. You could trade 5* gems for 6* gems?
  • Options
    willrun4adonutwillrun4adonut Posts: 3,166 ★★★★★
    I just used one today for Herc, but everything else I've been saving for the Return.
  • Options
    BocksaroxBocksarox Posts: 329 ★★★
    Bwer777 said:

I was taking a break. You could trade 5* gems for 6* gems?

Yes! I think it was three 5* AGs of the same class to get one 5* generic AG, and five 5* generic AGs for one 6* AG crystal.
  • Options
    LordSmasherLordSmasher Posts: 1,362 ★★★★★
    I'm doing that too. Hoarding is the way to go in this game.
  • Options
    AxewAxew Posts: 622 ★★★★
    Based off my memory, the conversion rate last time was:
    3 5* class gems -> 1 5* generic
    5 5* generic gems -> 1 6* gem crystal

Assuming the cost doesn’t change, I would stockpile all my generics awakening gems (4 and 5 star) and keep a reserve of 3 per each 5 star class gem. Also, try to prevent 4* awakening gems from going into overflow since trading them up to 5* awakening gems could be the difference between acquiring or missing the 6* gem.
  • Options
    Sean_WhoSean_Who Posts: 618 ★★★
    I'm not intentionally saving them, but I don't really rank 5 stars so they're are piling up.

I'm sure they are aware how many people are not using 5 star gems anymore, that might negatively affect the trade-in value as they're generally a lot less valuable now.

Technically the 6 star gems should be less valuable too and offset that, but you know... Kabam.
  • Options
    Etm34Etm34 Posts: 1,644 ★★★★★
    I’m saving mine as well now, but it’s also fairly easy to since I only have like 1 or 2 5* in each class not awakened, and they’re champs like Daredevil OG
  • Options
    ChatterofforumsChatterofforums Posts: 1,779 ★★★★★
    5* AG's are useless for me at this point in the game as I don't rank up 5*s past r3 (and I only do that to use overflow t1a before it expires).

I have probably around 20 plus 5* awakening gems and/or crystals in inventory and triple digits of 4 star awakening gems/crystals.

I'm not intentionally hoarding hoping for this event as I would use them anyway, but I am hopeful this event comes back.
  • Options
    Bugmat78Bugmat78 Posts: 2,141 ★★★★★
    I've got about 7or 8 5* awakening gems (and 2 6* gems) sitting in the inventory yep
  • Options
    Matthew950Matthew950 Posts: 155
    DNA3000 said:

Six star AGs? Pthhthh. I've started saving up for seven star AGs.

May 7* never come to pass
  • Options
    DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,687 Guardian

I wouldn't say I'm hoarding. I would say I'm managing resources efficiently. Awakening gems take a certain amount of effort and time to obtain. I use them when the return on investment exceeds both of those requirements. The last time I used a 6* AG was the romance AG to awaken Kitty. That was well worth it. At the moment none of the rest of those AGs would give me a return of comparable value, so there they sit until it does.
  • Options
    DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,687 Guardian

DNA3000 said:

I'm not hoping they arrive any time soon, but never bet against a game as a service adding more treadmills. The day you win that bet is probably the day before they shut down.
  • Options
    GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Posts: 36,248 ★★★★★
    Honestly, I haven't been bothering with it. I use mine. Perhaps not prudent, but I wasn't that upset about missing out to begin with.
  • Options
    ReferenceReference Posts: 2,899 ★★★★★
    Chovner said:

Ever since the 2021 holiday item trade in event debacle where a lot of us (myself included) went through an ordeal trading up and trying to acquire awakening gems to be able to trade up for a 6* AG, I haven’t even looked at or thought about using a 5* awakening gem JUST IN CASE the same thing happens this year. Anyone else completely stifle themselves from using their 5* AGs for the same reason?

I was similar to you before, have 3/4 5* AG for each class plus 2 generic AG. This situation last for almost 2 years yet I used them all within last 12 months. The value of 5* AG drop quickly and thus I think better to apply them asap. Although I always think of reserving them for targeted champs or so, since meta shifted to 6* and my 5* roster near completion with 10 outstanding regularly. Thus I just stop saving them during item use event.
  • Options
    The_man001The_man001 Posts: 624 ★★★
    DNA3000 said:

DNA3000 said:

I'm not hoping they arrive any time soon, but never bet against a game as a service adding more treadmills. The day you win that bet is probably the day before they shut down.
    The game will shut down once they announce 7 stars lol
  • Options
    SquirrelguySquirrelguy Posts: 2,635 ★★★★★
    DNA3000 said:

I wouldn't say I'm hoarding. I would say I'm managing resources efficiently. Awakening gems take a certain amount of effort and time to obtain. I use them when the return on investment exceeds both of those requirements. The last time I used a 6* AG was the romance AG to awaken Kitty. That was well worth it. At the moment none of the rest of those AGs would give me a return of comparable value, so there they sit until it does.
    Same, to a far lesser extent. I have multiple 6* AGs sitting in my inventory and am saving them for the day that I get a champ worthy of the rank up (& that I really like) such as Kitty, who got my generic from Act 7. I have several other good-to-great champs that could use it, but I'm waiting until I actually use them for specific content to toss in the AG and sig stones (for example, I still have Carina's Challengers left, and have a stone for either Void or Diablo). To be fair, I also am 100% delaying on awakening Void because I really want to get Quicksilver. I realize that waiting for a specific champ is a terrible idea most of the time, but I am a sucker for speedsters. Hopefully he's actually fun to play and is vaguely near Herc in utility/damage.
  • Options
    SirGamesBondSirGamesBond Posts: 4,219 ★★★★★
    Just counted, have 22 5* AGs.
    I think Im doing okay.
  • Options
    Malreck04Malreck04 Posts: 3,323 ★★★★★
    I haven’t held back lol. I rank five stars less often anyway.
  • Options
    ShadowstrikeShadowstrike Posts: 3,089 ★★★★★
    DNA3000 said:

Madam, you are some kind of sorceress
  • Options
    Barrage89Barrage89 Posts: 24
    Well the last three 5* awakening stones I opened have been cosmic!!!
  • Options
    ShadowstrikeShadowstrike Posts: 3,089 ★★★★★
    Unfortunately, I'm still in that position where I have a lot of five star Champions but not all of them are awakened. Hopefully, I can stockpile a bunch of four stars gems and be ready for December just in case, otherwise I'm going to have one major score for item use in December. 😜
  • Options
    KennadoKennado Posts: 991 ★★★

I just used one today for Herc, but everything else I've been saving for the Return.

Same. Just did the same for 6* Blade. Had excess skill gems that will be traded for 6* gems that arent skill.
  • Options
    winterthurwinterthur Posts: 7,788 ★★★★★
    Is there a hint somewhere it will arrive before December ?
  • Options
    SandeepSSandeepS Posts: 1,167 ★★★★
    I'm saving them too for the exact same reason. I have herc and nimrod I'd like to awaken but would rather have the gems in case of the trade in reappearing. Anyone remember when they did it last?
  • Options
    MauledMauled Posts: 3,957 Guardian
    I’m not actively saving them but I just don’t need them anymore tbh. I’ve got most 5* in circulation now, most of them are awakened and if they’re not awakened they’re also likely not ranked up so I wouldn’t awaken them until they’re R5 and there’s very few 5* I’d actively rank at this stage.