**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.

Do you enjoy being surprised?

SquirrelguySquirrelguy Posts: 2,630 ★★★★★
Essentially, I’m curious about the community consensus. Do you prefer for surprise content to drop (or the announcement to be a surprise, typically just before release) or do you prefer to have a timeline a month or two in advance of all coming content?

I’m sure it depends on the content, and I really like surprises with some things (like the Deadpool gold store last year, or the random occurrences of the Platinumpool crystals, champion buffs, or even summoner appreciation festivities) but I would much prefer to know about content that is clearly coming, or that has been discussed for a while (such as story content, things like EOP, Gauntlet, etc). While surprises are fun, and I get that dates can change, in a perfect world, I would know when most major content was slated to appear ahead of time. Curious to see if I’m in the minority.

Also, if Jax wanted to drop some knowledge about the appearance of 8.1, I wouldn’t complain. *winks*

Comments

• Zeft5araZeft5ara Posts: 16
    Early announcement maybe 1 or 2 weeks before
    That way i can line up my spending and decide if i want to participate or not
  • Avi146Avi146 Posts: 313 ★★
    Ofc like that login calendar we had some weeks ago
  • Malreck04Malreck04 Posts: 3,323 ★★★★★
    As long as the content lasted for a few weeks I'd say it's fine.
  • ErcarretErcarret Posts: 2,733 ★★★★★
    I can appreciate being surprised by things on occasion, but I think the important thing is to have things announced so that people can have something to look forward to. If they only announced a half-baked SQ and nothing else for next month, people would be disappointed. If they surprise us with something awesome mid-month then, the bad outweighs the good. You're like, huh, it turned into an average month and not a straight-up bad one. Fun surprise!

But if you have enough content that next month is basically covered, and you then have something extra that you can hold back as a fun surprise for the community, then we're talking.

Of course, you also have to keep in mind that people might not be there for surprise content since they weren't aware that it would drop. But if you have a good enough month already, they'll probably be there and then they'll be happily surprised. That's really the crux of it all. Surprise people with more good stuff, not the good stuff.
  • BitterSteelBitterSteel Posts: 9,254 ★★★★★
    I like a mixture to be honest, a lot of stuff announced I’m glad to look forward to. But then occasionally if things are announced a day before it drops it really keeps things exciting. It feels like a boss rush could be announced tomorrow for example

I wouldn’t want it to be specifically one or the other if I’m honest!
  • TheBair123TheBair123 Posts: 5,344 ★★★★★
    Some things require an announcement before they go live. Things like new story quests, changes in AQ or AW, Champion buffs, side quest info, and rewards updates. Those things require some reading and numbers stuff to look at.
  • ItsDamienItsDamien Posts: 5,626 ★★★★★
    I like surprises, and miss being surprised by extra content.

My view on this might be a little skewed though, as I’ve been playing a lot of Monster Hunter Rise Sunbreak recently, and while I adore the game (the whole franchise is probably my favourite game series as a whole) with the new expansion they revealed every new monster in official trailers (with the exception of the final main story monster which is always hidden). This is a departure from how they used to do things in older titles where certain monsters wouldn’t be announced and left to the players to discover through gameplay itself. But this time, everything including the next new update so far has been announced officially and while I’m still excited for the content, it does leave that little bit of wonder and mystery to be desired in that sense.

So yeah, I’d love for more surprise content to happen, but I’m also happy knowing what’s coming as long as the content itself is good.
  • ChatterofforumsChatterofforums Posts: 1,779 ★★★★★
    This is a tough one and two sides to the argument. On the side of announcements being good, it gives people a chance to prepare (farm revives, unit's, shards, whatever in reference to the announcement). It also gives people something to look forward to and it has an impact on how people spend their resources at times.

On the other hand, suprises allow the ability to avoid the negative part that comes from announcements. Too often when something is announced people judge it waaaay too quick leading to widespread complaints on "money grab" before even released or a "bad champ buff" before anyone has even used the champ. Basically too much notice gives some people time to overthink it or go out of their way to poke holes in it. This can cause the community to have a negative feeling towards something before it's even released causing an uphill battle to it's acceptance.
  • TrenzaloreTrenzalore Posts: 182 ★★★
    I prefer leaks. Lol
  • FunnyDudeFunnyDude Posts: 440 ★★★
    Kabam Jax said:

8.1... 8.1...
    I know I saw something on that somewhere around here... *checks notes*

Not quite the answer I'm looking for...