**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.

Just why

Comments

• SammyDeSammyDe Posts: 898 ★★★

They are all winnable fights.

Not everyone can dex Doom’s sp1/2. The chip damage alone will KO you. Kitty is dangerous as well and the only winnable one is Hercules.

To OP, I think with the rank 4 skewing the algorithms, I noticed in the last few months, death matches trigger more for me too.
    I never put 3 rank 1s in there myself but that’s because I have a small roster. I only trigger death matches around streak 11-14 sometimes but usually I use 5* CGR and AA to survive it…
  • SammyDeSammyDe Posts: 898 ★★★
    Yeah, I forgot Maw, Mojo and Terrax. I supposed there’s also Thing, Korg and Weapon X that will needs proper counters (at least for me anyway).
  • JragonMaster170JragonMaster170 Posts: 2,044 ★★★★★
    Doesnt look that bad. Just be careful against Kitty Pryde
  • Hera1d_of_Ga1actusHera1d_of_Ga1actus Posts: 2,439 ★★★★★
    edited August 2022
    I don't think anyone is understand that people are now matching R1 6*s with up to R4s now. (When R1s used to match with other R1s) I don't care how "easy" the match up is I've dealt with this before and trust me the 3 ranks of difference makes the normal arena grind severely more stressful and difficult
  • K00shMaanK00shMaan Posts: 1,289 ★★★★
    Not that this is unwinnable by any means but the only thing accomplished by having fights like these is a further gap between the top and bottom of this game. How are people supposed to try to catch up to the bigger accounts if they can't even use all of their 6 Stars in Arena. Arena has always been an opportunity for people to grind out infinite rewards. Keep in mind that you can't tell from the image, but this might not even be the Featured Arena, it can be the Basic.
  • Hera1d_of_Ga1actusHera1d_of_Ga1actus Posts: 2,439 ★★★★★
    Yeah people that don't grind arena won't understand how his matchup could be any different amount of R1 6*s but he'd still get those R4 matches. Imagine having to take down that Doom with R1 Green Goblin (I've done it and it's over 100 hits because of the armor) these are obviously supposed to be death matches to anyone who actually grinds arena
  • Etm34Etm34 Posts: 1,644 ★★★★★
    It’s weird to me that at a streak of 25 you’re getting a R4 matchup, haven’t had that happen to me. If I’m using all R1s past round 15 I only get other R1s. You sure this isn’t rounds 1-12?
  • SquirrelguySquirrelguy Posts: 2,631 ★★★★★
    Why is this supposed to be a surprise? Hasn’t the whole point of arenas since inception (basically, but a bit of hyperbole) been that you can’t always take all of your low-ranked champs in? Typically, there is a cutoff point where you have used all of your higher ranked champs and the level of effort and difficulty of fights far exceeds the rewards of winning the fights. So then you wait for your higher ranked champs to refresh and start the rotation again.

Arenas are not really designed to reward skill as much as roster depth. By roster depth, I don’t just mean number of champs of a specific rarity but also of a specific rank. Similarly to BGs, there is a level where your skill can overcome even highly rated opponents, but eventually you will likely get into fights that look like this. The equivalence between the two is that eventually, in BGs you will average out at a certain rating that will combine your roster with your skill level. In Arenas, instead of rating, there is a limit to how far down in your roster you can go while still being confident against even the highest rated fight.

I never really understood the hate in arenas of “death matches” because (beyond the 3x multiplier) you should expect for there to be a chance of fighting the maximum possible team. You shouldn’t go in with champions that you aren’t confident in facing said team with. Just because you have lots of rank 1 champs does not mean you should be able to use them.

Maybe that is a hot take. I hate arenas regardless.
  • L0TUS_MANTISL0TUS_MANTIS Posts: 220 ★★
    Young nephew, back in my day a death match asdf sgdh fgsjs sjjaj

• K00shMaanK00shMaan Posts: 1,289 ★★★★

Why is this supposed to be a surprise? Hasn’t the whole point of arenas since inception (basically, but a bit of hyperbole) been that you can’t always take all of your low-ranked champs in? Typically, there is a cutoff point where you have used all of your higher ranked champs and the level of effort and difficulty of fights far exceeds the rewards of winning the fights. So then you wait for your higher ranked champs to refresh and start the rotation again.

Arenas are not really designed to reward skill as much as roster depth. By roster depth, I don’t just mean number of champs of a specific rarity but also of a specific rank. Similarly to BGs, there is a level where your skill can overcome even highly rated opponents, but eventually you will likely get into fights that look like this. The equivalence between the two is that eventually, in BGs you will average out at a certain rating that will combine your roster with your skill level. In Arenas, instead of rating, there is a limit to how far down in your roster you can go while still being confident against even the highest rated fight.

I never really understood the hate in arenas of “death matches” because (beyond the 3x multiplier) you should expect for there to be a chance of fighting the maximum possible team. You shouldn’t go in with champions that you aren’t confident in facing said team with. Just because you have lots of rank 1 champs does not mean you should be able to use them.

Maybe that is a hot take. I hate arenas regardless.

The problem is that the actual roster depth requirement got thrown out the window when they introduced the 6 Star Arenas. There used to be Arenas dedicated to using each Star Level. Now we only have 4 Star and 6 Star Arenas. Ranking up enough 4 Stars is a terrible idea for anyone currently in the growing stages of the game as the champs aren't viable outside of Arena pretty quickly so you won't have depth for that Arena if you're newer to the game. The new Arena system if just more harsh on newer/developing players than it has ever been and having their limited rosters get locked out of the content by death matches is only hurting them.