Is this a joke?

wheatmannwheatmann Member Posts: 186 ★★

Comments

• ChatterofforumsChatterofforums Member Posts: 1,779 ★★★★★
    Since jokes are supposed to be funny and I didn't laugh, I'll assume it's more of a really bad offer as opposed to being a joke.
  • CoppinCoppin Member Posts: 2,601 ★★★★★
    Its the same "new" early access bundle... I dont see the joke or the sarcasm
  • SuelGamesSuelGames Member Posts: 947 ★★★
    We re selling champs now?? This is some bs
  • Ironside47Ironside47 Member Posts: 481 ★★★
    It’s a good job we haven’t got a cost of living crisis 😉
  • wheatmannwheatmann Member Posts: 186 ★★
    My point is its 45 pounds for a four star and some 6 star shards
  • SquirrelguySquirrelguy Member Posts: 2,653 ★★★★★
    If you are getting mad about 45$ for a 4* new champ, you might as well just not log on to forums, social media, or the game itself for about a month after Cyber weekend deals drop.

If you're annoyed at how much it costs, I genuinely have no frame of reference to these kind of deals, and haven't really since ~early 2019. It's not a great offer but guaranteed champs shouldn't necessarily just be given away. That looks okay to me.
  • Tijjy007Tijjy007 Member Posts: 349 ★★★
    SuelGames said:

We re selling champs now?? This is some bs

What does this mean
  • DanthexmanDanthexman Member Posts: 197
    SuelGames said:

Motorjam said:

Did you just now noticed this? They've been having offers for new champs for months now

Im F2P, why should i click on the whale store? This game already pisses me off enough :)
    If it pisses you off so much, don't play it. These offers have been around for ages.
  • SuelGamesSuelGames Member Posts: 947 ★★★
    edited October 2022
    Whats the point of RNG crystals and Arena grinds when ppl now just can buy the champ with cash??

i cant be alone thinking this outrageous, i just gotta believe that lol
  • DemonzfyreDemonzfyre Member Posts: 21,794 ★★★★★
    wheatmann said:

The deal improves with you progression level. For TB and and above, it's a 5*.
  • LordSmasherLordSmasher Member Posts: 1,541 ★★★★★
    SuelGames said:

Whats the point of RNG crystals and Arena grinds when ppl now just can buy the champ with cash??

i cant be alone thinking this outrageous, i just gotta believe that lol

Because its only 5 stars and there are few players who care about them.
  • DNA3000DNA3000 Member, Guardian Posts: 19,359 Guardian
    SuelGames said:

You're an F2P player, and you're seriously asking this question? What's the point of having rewards that are difficult to earn with gameplay, when just anyone can just buy them?

Since day one, people have always been able to buy things that are otherwise hard to get in the game. And the people who are willing and able to spend enough have always been able to buy their way to most rewards, including champions. COWhale's whole channel used to center on basically getting every single champ the moment their crystals released, by simply buying an essentially unlimited number of crystals until he landed the champs he wanted.

This is obvious outside of the histrionics of monetization, but the game creates the rewards, creates a desire for those rewards, and then creates opportunities to earn them. And then it offers people who want to spend money to support the game opportunities to gain those rewards faster. This is the point of all monetization in all micro-transaction supported free to play games.

The offers you're seeing in the OP are targeting low progression players. The three star and four star champions also exist as milestone rewards in the arenas. I get them every time in essentially no time at all. They are selling for a lot of money something I basically get for free doing my normal gameplay. Why would I spend cash to buy them? Even the 5* champ is well within my normal grind most of the time, so I'm never tempted to spend cash on that either. I would never buy any of those offers just for the targeted champ, because I can always earn them in the game with what is for me no extra effort.

But those offers are not there for me. They are there for the people who don't have the same time as me, but are willing to spend on them. And when they do, because those offers are progression-scaled, they are never really buying something that has a dramatic impact on progression. They aren't buying what would be for them top-tier stuff. They are buying second-tier stuff that the game can afford to loosen their grip on when it comes to in-game offers.

To put it another way, we're selling 3* and 4* and 5* champs now, because we are also giving away 3* and 4* champs in the arena for extremely low effort, and allowing players to win the 5* champ with only moderate levels of arena grind effort (moderate, for arena grinders). For the people buying these things or winning these things in the arena, they are nice to haves not must haves. This is all part of the normal balancing between availability, opportunity, and monetization.

Only Sith, and online game forums, deal in absolutes. Real games deal in progression, proportionality, and counterbalancing. Selling things in the in-app purchase store doesn't instantly make the entire rest of the game reward systems obsolete.
  • DNA3000DNA3000 Member, Guardian Posts: 19,359 Guardian
    wheatmann said:

That's not much of a punchline.
  • wheatmannwheatmann Member Posts: 186 ★★

wheatmann said:

The deal improves with you progression level. For TB and and above, it's a 5*.
    Well, the deal maybe more reasonable for those of higher progression. But would you spend 45 pounds for a 4 star and some six star shards if you were uc
  • CoppinCoppin Member Posts: 2,601 ★★★★★
    SuelGames said:

Motorjam said:

Did you just now noticed this? They've been having offers for new champs for months now

Im F2P, why should i click on the whale store? This game already pisses me off enough :)
    Then why did u click? And if it pisses u off that much why do u play it at all?....
    I still find it funny that a 49.99 deal makes someone a Whale 🤣