**WINTER OF WOE - BONUS OBJECTIVE POINT**
As previously announced, the team will be distributing an additional point toward milestones to anyone who completed the Absorbing Man fight in the first step of the Winter of Woe.
This point will be distributed at a later time as it requires the team to pull and analyze data.
The timeline has not been set, but work has started.
There is currently an issue where some Alliances are are unable to find a match in Alliance Wars, or are receiving Byes without getting the benefits of the Win. We will be adjusting the Season Points of the Alliances that are affected within the coming weeks, and will be working to compensate them for their missed Per War rewards as well.

Additionally, we are working to address an issue where new Members of an Alliance are unable to place Defenders for the next War after joining. We are working to address this, but it will require a future update.

Let's talk Battlegrounds matchmaking.

So, as many have noticed recently, Battlegrounds matchmaking has had a change done to it and with that, it has its issues. I immediately noticed I was getting matches with people that absolutely dwarf my account in terms of R4 6 Stars and overall $ spent (all brand new champs), this is coming from last season where I had a great time fighting people at or very close to my level.

Because of this change and the comment made by Kabam that they don't want to reveal what the new matchmaking system bases it's algorithm on, I decided to do a little testing and see just what the hell the matchmaking uses to find opponents. So after a bit of forfeiting and logging my opponents Prestige, Account Base Hero Rating & Progression level, I think I finally know what the new system uses. To put it straight up, it uses Base Hero Rating for the algorithm. Now, there were some oddities with the testing, like matching people who I just shouldn't with any algorithm, but that was less than 10% of the time, the other >90% was people that had very similar or in the ballpark Base Hero Rating.

The reason I find an issue with this new system is, not only is it absolutely screwing me on 70-80% of the matches but I also am seeing people with rosters far below mine getting matched against me. People with newer accounts that didn't rely on ranking up their 3, 4 & 5*s are looking to have these matches on easy mode, do to their rating being far lower than a long time casual player who has gone through needing to rank up those champs over the years. I can't imagine it's a fun time for someone with a 10k prestige account getting curb stomped by a 15k prestige account, just because one person decided that ranking only their top 6 Stars is what they need. This is no complaint towards those players by the way, this is a complaint towards the matchmaking system, it's screwing a lot of players from Cavalier to Paragon. I for one will not be ranking up anymore champions that aren't going to R3 as a 6 Star, since that's all that matters now.

TL;DR Battlegrounds matchmaking is now based on Base Hero Rating and it's screwing mid-endgame players.

Comments

• IamGrO_otIamGrO_ot Posts: 172 ★★
    Great that they are working to detect cheaters and ban their accounts, but we all know how easy and short time it takes to create a new account that is TB within hours in autofight mode.

As long as you don't compensate the players for their losses, you will never get anywhere realistically. BG has the greatest potential of any content ever created, but the experience is ruined on a daily basis by cheaters.

At a minimum, Kabam should at least remove losing 1 medallion in the Victory Track when losing, to limit the damage cheaters do to other players. But we don't even get that.

Unbelievable, simply awful customer service.
  • altavistaaltavista Posts: 1,261 ★★★★
    edited December 2022
    In my experience, matches are fairer now compared to how it was before.

Lets say my roster strength is a 5 (on a scale of 1-10). Before the fix, I was regularly facing 8+ strength rosters (and using 2-stars to trick the system into think its a 5 strength roster). Now after the fix I am facing rosters that are 4-6 strength, meaning of comparable strength.

As with anything, matchmaking is not going to be perfect. Some people liked the previous matchmaking system while others hated it, and now different ppl like the new matchmaking system while different people hate it.

The most recent changes probably makes it harder for accounts in between Progression levels (like new Paragons/advanced Thronebreakers, or new TB/advanced Cavaliers, etc)
  • MackeyMackey Posts: 1,534 ★★★★★
    I haven't seen this myself and I usually check the profiles of the guys I face for the same reason as you testing it. I am around the 2.2m bhr Mark and have matched against accounts that are under 1m and well above 3m. I think it is just well n truly random now ... from my own experience anyway
  • Graves_3Graves_3 Posts: 1,282 ★★★★★
    Mackey said:

I haven't seen this myself and I usually check the profiles of the guys I face for the same reason as you testing it. I am around the 2.2m bhr Mark and have matched against accounts that are under 1m and well above 3m. I think it is just well n truly random now ... from my own experience anyway

Not really random. I think it’s prestige based now. All my matchups have been within 1k prestige of mine. Accounts rating has been between 2-6mil while mine is close to 3mil. But having prestige of 14.8, I have faced accounts between 14.5-15.9k prestige.
  • SuperDuperBuuuSuperDuperBuuu Posts: 42 ★★
    Graves_3 said:

Mackey said:

Not really random. I think it’s prestige based now. All my matchups have been within 1k prestige of mine. Accounts rating has been between 2-6mil while mine is close to 3mil. But having prestige of 14.8, I have faced accounts between 14.5-15.9k prestige.
    That's what I thought it was based on too before I did the tests, but after getting matched with several people that were 4k less prestige than myself while being within 200k Base Hero Rating, it seemed pretty obvious to me.

I do want to clarify as well that this is only for Victory Track and not Gladiator Circuit, Kabam has made GC so anyone can match anyone from the very first season, nothing has changed there.
  • Ironman3000Ironman3000 Posts: 1,894 ★★★★★
    Skydad23 said:

It’s a joke! I got to diamond 1 the first two seasons. Then got to gold 1 this season only losing three matches to get there. Took like a week off. Came back and have been at gold one for 36 matches. And I have had to face eight legends. this is a quick way to make everyone quit this mood! I mean, I don’t have a problem trying to work to get to the track but come on losing three matches to move up seven tracks and I’ve been stuck at the same one for 36 matches is just bonkers. Especially the fact that every time I get 2 tokens I get the most ridiculous matchups!

What's your hero rating and prestige?
  • Matched with a paragon today im only Uncollected :)
  • LokxLokx Posts: 283 ★★★
    edited December 2022

I still can't figure out why some UC and Cav think they shouldn't be matches against TB or paragon when everyone is competing for same rewards. If Kabam ever said that BG was designed to give everyone fair matches the. I'd understand however they never said that nor would that be in line with how the MCOC game modes generally work so thus thought process confuses me.

because this game mode is about skill, no matter how much skill you have. If another account has a better roaster built from playing the game longer, spending more money and etc it defeats the purpose. i would agree with you thats its inevitable but i think the cut off should be in the gladiator circuit. Thats when people should expect to fight bigger accounts. But victory circuit should be more leveled.
  • SearmenisSearmenis Posts: 1,545 ★★★★★

I still can't figure out why some UC and Cav think they shouldn't be matches against TB or paragon when everyone is competing for same rewards. If Kabam ever said that BG was designed to give everyone fair matches the. I'd understand however they never said that nor would that be in line with how the MCOC game modes generally work so thus thought process confuses me.

Because:
    1- That's why there s TWO levels of progression, Victory and GC for better/best players, with different, extra rewards. GC gives tokens, and whoever gets there, also gets the Victory level rewards as well.
    2- Victory rank rewards are basically pay to get, so whoever you are, you can get a good chunk of them by spending units, money, aka elders marks.
  • ThePharcideThePharcide Posts: 207 ★★★

Because they aren't. Myself and a lot of others know we will not even break into GC for those rewards. We are doing it for fun, solo/alliance milestones, and the minimal rewards up to G1 (for me at least).
  • Just_grindingJust_grinding Posts: 115

• LiLbee2LiLbee2 Posts: 36
    Skydad23 said:

It’s a joke! I got to diamond 1 the first two seasons. Then got to gold 1 this season only losing three matches to get there. Took like a week off. Came back and have been at gold one for 36 matches. And I have had to face eight legends. this is a quick way to make everyone quit this mood! I mean, I don’t have a problem trying to work to get to the track but come on losing three matches to move up seven tracks and I’ve been stuck at the same one for 36 matches is just bonkers. Especially the fact that every time I get 2 tokens I get the most ridiculous matchups!

Weak!
  • ItsClobberinTimeItsClobberinTime Posts: 2,916 ★★★★★
    edited December 2022
    As much as sandbagging annoys me I agree with OP. I am UC and these past two days I've only lost 3 matches and won about 15, which is way too much considering I was already in Gold when the changes were made. While I definitely don't want sandbagging back I do think there has to be a way to not harm stronger players this much and give weaker players like me easy wins.
  • Vergeman78Vergeman78 Posts: 132 ★★
    @Just_grinding you are on gladiator circuit, only criteria for matchmaking is rating
  • AnlyAnly Posts: 615 ★★

@Chatterofforums they dont think they should fight them cause theres no chance of winning one is not competing for the same rewards if they're constantly being curbed stomped
  • Ironman3000Ironman3000 Posts: 1,894 ★★★★★
    Anly said:

@Chatterofforums they dont think they should fight them cause theres no chance of winning one is not competing for the same rewards if they're constantly being curbed stomped
    Wrong.

They 100% are fighting for the same rewards.
  • SearmenisSearmenis Posts: 1,545 ★★★★★
    It is Not the same rewards, the tokens you get for changing ranks are just like arenas or incursions milestones. Stronger players get the same as everyone else at the start, but after climbing to GC they get the better sets of rewards as they deserve. Plus the milestones before of course.
  • ItsClobberinTimeItsClobberinTime Posts: 2,916 ★★★★★
    We all get the same amount of trophy tokens per league in VC though, that's literally competing for same rewards.
  • BulmktBulmkt Posts: 1,532 ★★★★
    All I know is I have 9 R4’s and I’m up against opponents that seem to have closer to 20 R4’s in their BG roster.
    And half the time I might be lucky to select 2 or 3 of my R4’s yet the opponent seems to have a smorgasbord to choose from their R4’s