**WINTER OF WOE - BONUS OBJECTIVE POINT**
As previously announced, the team will be distributing an additional point toward milestones to anyone who completed the Absorbing Man fight in the first step of the Winter of Woe.
This point will be distributed at a later time as it requires the team to pull and analyze data.
The timeline has not been set, but work has started.
There is currently an issue where some Alliances are are unable to find a match in Alliance Wars, or are receiving Byes without getting the benefits of the Win. We will be adjusting the Season Points of the Alliances that are affected within the coming weeks, and will be working to compensate them for their missed Per War rewards as well.

Additionally, we are working to address an issue where new Members of an Alliance are unable to place Defenders for the next War after joining. We are working to address this, but it will require a future update.

Relics: Awesome Addition Or Overhyped Garbage?

FrostGiantLordFrostGiantLord Posts: 1,567 ★★★★
edited January 2023 in General Discussion
Personal Opinion: Relics aren't worth investing in. They were overhyped, and the uselessness of something Kabam proclaimed as "The biggest change we made to the game since its launch" is absolutely ridiculous. Sure, they offer buffs and other such things, but Masteries are a much more worthwhile investment, and a better alternative. In my opinion, Relics don't bring much to the game at all, which is pretty much a general consensus among MCOC players. However, relics are an absolute headache for high level players, as it is necessary to rank them up in order to maintain prestige. Kabam needs to rethink the concept of relics, or improve the upgrades relics give.

Comments

• KingInBlackKingInBlack Posts: 308 ★★★
    To this point sure but we currently have only the first set ever released. Sure feels to me like they started off small and will only grow in impact going forward. Do we know when the new ones this month will be released?
  • FrostGiantLordFrostGiantLord Posts: 1,567 ★★★★

I'm so annoyed by all this relic talk lol. All of you complaining don't even have 5 star relics yet. Those 3 star relics are about as useful as, well, 3 stars. Let's wait and see until we get rare and unique ones like Valkyrie relics, or maybe even a Hulkling relic down the road. The same way Hercules, NF, Apocalypse are game changing champions, we gotta allow time for there to be game changing relics.

Even 5* relics don't live up to the hype at all. I don't even bother to bind relics at this point. However, you do have a point. Relics were just added, and we should give them a chance. However, this post speaks of RIGHT NOW, and I have made another post on potential improvements that can be made to relics.
  • GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Posts: 36,193 ★★★★★
    Feeney234 said:

Going to have to disagree. They're a regular part of my game play now.

Shocker lol
    What? That I'm enjoying more Damage added to my Combos? Yes, that's quite unique. :/
  • Mario33Mario33 Posts: 477 ★★★
    Between awesome adition and overhyped garbage.
  • They’re alright, not game changing though.

Give them and us 6 months and it’ll be a different story I think. We’ve got the basic ones at low rarities, low ranks and we’re still scratching the surface in how they’re used. I think that when there’s more along the Valkyrie vein and we have some maxed 4*/5* versions it’ll be a different story.

The prestige side is irritating though but at least they all seem to have a similar prestige at the moment.
  • Wozzle007Wozzle007 Posts: 919 ★★★★★
    I think they are a meh addition to the game, that Kabam seems to value far more than they are actually worth to most players. This months side quest rewards seemed to be linked to them. Really don’t care about getting relic rewards. Currently relics don’t do enough to justify their place in the game. We all wanted mastery updates and instead, we got this. I don’t want to hurt anyone’s feelings at Kabam but relics are an absolute waste of time. You really need to go back to look at what your player base actually wants and start delivering.

Unless the objective of relics was just to add another prestige chase to sell to whales, so maybe you don’t care if anyone wants them as long as you make a financial return on the development time invested.
  • Owl_0wlOwl_0wl Posts: 210
    if you find the right matchup and the right bond, relics can turn certain champions into a beast. Thor relic on angela for example, crazy damage output. Still... i wish they were available everywhere and i would like the embers to be easier to attain
  • FrostGiantLordFrostGiantLord Posts: 1,567 ★★★★
    Wozzle007 said:

I think they are a meh addition to the game, that Kabam seems to value far more than they are actually worth to most players. This months side quest rewards seemed to be linked to them. Really don’t care about getting relic rewards. Currently relics don’t do enough to justify their place in the game. We all wanted mastery updates and instead, we got this. I don’t want to hurt anyone’s feelings at Kabam but relics are an absolute waste of time. You really need to go back to look at what your player base actually wants and start delivering.

Unless the objective of relics was just to add another prestige chase to sell to whales, so maybe you don’t care if anyone wants them as long as you make a financial return on the development time invested.

I agree. Kabam needs to listen to the players more. Relics aren't bringing much to the table at the moment, and I hope that can change soon
  • Chuck_FinleyChuck_Finley Posts: 768 ★★★★
    I sell all the relic materials. Trying to build an account and rank 6 six stars, I am not going waste gold on something that doesn’t help me.

I just hate that they are pervasive in all the objectives. Seems like we aren’t getting relic materials in addition to other items, but as a replacement.
  • H3t3rH3t3r Posts: 2,877 Guardian
    I quite like them but really only when they are maxed as a 4* and above. Some of them add large portions of damage or Survivability to a champs kit. Remember kabam did say the striker portion is just the now they did say they are looking into other cool options for relics. Give it a couple months and when 5* relics are common and think people will start enjoying them a bit more.
  • A_FungiA_Fungi Posts: 934 ★★★★
    I think Kabam has pivoted to relic rewards for content too much.

If you are honest with yourself, their main purpose is another way for members to push their prestige. The percentage of the player base that really cares about that is pretty insignificant.

However, it is another way for kabam to create revenue out of whales and end game players.

I wish the side quest gave me a selector option of relic or crystal shards. Because I don't want relics at all.
  • DemonzfyreDemonzfyre Posts: 20,864 ★★★★★
    AMS94 said:

It's not even overhyped
    The only people hyping it up are Kabam
    Most players don't care
    And this is one of those rare instances where even the high tier top 5% players aren't caring too much about it at the moment

In what way is Kabam hyping them up?

From my perspective, no one is. Neither the community or Kabam. There's one relic CCP video that I know of but that is all. There hasn't been tailored made offers towards relics either. The only thing we see is relic resources in objectives. That's not hyping anything, because if it was, they'd be hyping up 3* shards or solo crystal shards.

I'm not excited about relics, mainly because I know nothing about them. They are so hard to understand because the menu is clunky and hard to get around. There's a lot of steps in just binding them to a champion as well.

If they really wanted to hype them up, they'd have relic spotlights explaining what each does at every star level, but they don't.
  • DemonzfyreDemonzfyre Posts: 20,864 ★★★★★

I sell all the relic materials. Trying to build an account and rank 6 six stars, I am not going waste gold on something that doesn’t help me.

I just hate that they are pervasive in all the objectives. Seems like we aren’t getting relic materials in addition to other items, but as a replacement.

Just a heads up, while yes, you can sell embers for gold, it does not cost anything to put embers into a relic. The only cost is ranking them up and once you hit the limit for binding and unbinding.
  • Eyeballtat2Eyeballtat2 Posts: 27
    Was fun in the eq and sidequest as an add on, in this form they completely missed the mark
  • World EaterWorld Eater Posts: 3,542 ★★★★★
    Pointless addition to the game
  • TheLegend27TheLegend27 Posts: 1,315 ★★★★★
    Overhyped garbage simply because relics are good for none of the reasons they should be (and I might have misunderstood from the get-go what relics were supposed to be, so this might be on me).

I thought relics were supposed to add a new/unique dimension to playing characters, but instead the only practical way I'm using them are as combo extenders. As a combo extender, relics are pretty damn powerful IMO. For example, on my R4 iHulk, he can put out a TON more damage thanks to the passive stun off the relic if I use it at just the right moment. But again, that's not what I thought the main point of relics would be so it's a pretty big letdown for me.

Could also just be that Kabam is heavily focused on monetizing relics at the moment (or they don't really know what direction they want to go with them), so we haven't really had widespread access (outside of spending a lot of $$$) to higher rarity relics which seem to have more bonuses.

On top of that, I still haven't figured out what the deal is with all the associated materials for relics :D
  • Chuck_FinleyChuck_Finley Posts: 768 ★★★★

Just a heads up, while yes, you can sell embers for gold, it does not cost anything to put embers into a relic. The only cost is ranking them up and once you hit the limit for binding and unbinding.

Good to know… thanks
  • Ironman3000Ironman3000 Posts: 1,894 ★★★★★
    Had they done them well before 7* champs and put the required time into it then they could have been cool. They clearly didn't put much effort into them which is why they're garbage.