**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.
Options

SQ Lvl5: Should Falter Occur Mid-Combo?

DrZolaDrZola Posts: 8,547 ★★★★★

Should Tigra be able to falter and counter Hulking two hits into a combo? Trying to see what I’m missing here—Hulking with Pierce up and Unblockable immediately countered by Tigra mid-combo.

Is there something else working here that I’m missing?

Dr. Zola

Comments

• Options
    Pikolu said:

Were you comboing into her block? Because unless you actually hit her, the timer doesn't reset.

Unblockable buff up. So I had broken through block.

Dr. Zola
  • Options
    PikoluPikolu Posts: 6,661 Guardian
    edited February 2023
    DrZola said:

Pikolu said:

Were you comboing into her block? Because unless you actually hit her, the timer doesn't reset.

Dr. Zola
    Let's say hulkling needs 1 hit to get his unblockable, so when you dash into the enemies block, you hut their block, go unblockable, but you haven't broken their block until your second hit.

Without a video, it is hard to give helpful information, and I'm just making sure that the easy case to address isn't the one that's the issue.
  • Options
    Pikolu said:

DrZola said:

Pikolu said:

Dr. Zola
    Let's say hulkling needs 1 hit to get his unblockable, so when you dash into the enemies block, you hut their block, go unblockable, but you haven't broken their block until your second hit.

Without a video, it is hard to give helpful information, and I'm just making sure that the easy case to address isn't the one that's the issue.
    That’s actually possible when I think about it. It didn’t seem like that occurred, but I wonder if the hit into the block was just as or just before the timer expired, leading to a second hit “miss” due to falter (first hit was actually a block). Didn’t video, of course (if I tried to capture every strange interaction or instance of lag, I’d have run out of memory long ago).

I will chalk it up as a split second infliction of falter on the first hit after hitting block unless and until someone else reports a similar issue. Verdict: just a bit of split second bad timing.

Dr. Zola
  • Options
    R_jay0027 said:

I thought there was an issue with CGR in Tigra fight. Similar odd falter or miss that led to nearly dying.
    I just assumed I missed something as well. Will run it again in 2 days to see I guess. As will you I assume lol.

Requires further testing? That’s kind of where I am. Bias is to think I just missed something, but I will probably record that fight the second time so I can review what happens.

Dr. Zola
  • Options
    mostlyharmlessnmostlyharmlessn Posts: 1,387 ★★★★
    edited February 2023
    Just happened to me using Apoc.

Still time left on counter. Landed first medium hit, then somehow falter popped up just in time to miss second hit allowing Tigra to launch and land her sp2.

And no first hit didn't hit her block, it was parry, ML then smacked in the face....
  • Options

Still time left on counter. Landed first medium hit, then somehow falter popped up just in time to miss second hit allowing Tigra to launch and land her sp2.

And no first hit didn't hit her block, it was parry, ML then smacked in the face....

Interesting. That’s like what I recall the first time through, but I don’t have a video of it.

Second run wasn’t an issue, mainly because I used Torch to get the solo objective and he rinsed it. No video.

However, I will try different champs the rest of Ep2. If something is glitchy, I wonder if it is like the nodes in the last week of last month’s special quest that required an *extra* hit to disable the protection nodes. That’s my working theory at the moment—again, if there’s actually a glitch.

Dr. Zola
  • Options
    DrZola said:

Interesting. That’s like what I recall the first time through, but I don’t have a video of it.

Second run wasn’t an issue, mainly because I used Torch to get the solo objective and he rinsed it. No video.

However, I will try different champs the rest of Ep2. If something is glitchy, I wonder if it is like the nodes in the last week of last month’s special quest that required an *extra* hit to disable the protection nodes. That’s my working theory at the moment—again, if there’s actually a glitch.

Dr. Zola
    Unfortunately for me my "Second Run" was actually my first as some how it ate my first entry ticket when doing a map preview so I could figure out which champs I needed to bring.

• Options

I have a new idea of what might have happened. Did you use your sp2 and place a concussion? Because what might be happening is AAR could be stopping the timer from resetting when you hit them.

That's something I can test today to see if that's the issue
  • Options
    Pikolu said:

I have a new idea of what might have happened. Did you use your sp2 and place a concussion? Because what might be happening is AAR could be stopping the timer from resetting when you hit them.

I didn't even get to a point where I had an Sp2 to throw yet.
  • Options
    PikoluPikolu Posts: 6,661 Guardian
    edited February 2023

Pikolu said:

I didn't even get to a point where I had an Sp2 to throw yet.
    Yeah I just tested it myself and the timer properly reset with apoc after his sp2 concussion and with falcon with lockon as well.

Could be a bug on the device type you guys run, but idk.
  • Options
    SirGamesBondSirGamesBond Posts: 4,218 ★★★★★
    Happned to me just now.
    Since I viewed this post yesterday, I came running to support Mr Zola's claims.

Got falter debuff on herc mid combo, I was safe as herc had true sense on.

Wild assumption theroy:
    Could her 10% miss mechanic interact with the falter node? And I baited sp1 back to back, so her senses would be active.
  • Options
    SirGamesBondSirGamesBond Posts: 4,218 ★★★★★
    R_jay0027 said:

A few times yesterday there were odd interactions.

Dude, I hit Cassi (cav eq) 2-3 times while she was performing her sp1.
    I was hella confused what just happend.
    I know for sure that hits got connected mid special.
  • Options
    I haven’t played as much lately as I normally do, but there are some odd interactions out there and I don’t think the team has done much to check them out.

I don’t want to change the focus of this thread, but there are a couple of others I’ve posted that have since been removed and not by me.

I still think the root cause is a couple of possible things like order of operations problems (last SQ) and what I call “input lag”—the possibility that your inputs are timed correctly, but are read and converted into on screen actions a split second late.

The connection issues I’ve chronicled here several times (some of those threads still exist) are also a potential problem spot.

I will give SQ a run again with Hulking to see if I can reproduce the issue later today.

Dr. Zola
  • Options
    GrandOldKaiGrandOldKai Posts: 785 ★★★★
    edited February 2023
    There was one time when my CGR SP2 just randomly missed in the middle of Tigra being hit by it, though I have no idea how she'd randomly decide to ignore it halfway through

Addendum: It seems I likely got really unlucky with Huntress Sense.