How are Alliance BG Rewards Fair in Any Capacity?

12346»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 ★★★★
    PotatoGod said:

PotatoGod said:

PotatoGod said:

DNA3000 said:

PotatoGod said:

DNA3000 said:

PotatoGod said:

People are soon going to realize that not playing the game gets you farther than actually trying to play. You can think what you want but if Kabam isn't going to reward the playerbase for their time and efforts then they are going to leave, its as simple as that. There was a reason why I quit the first time and the only thing that brought me back was battlegrounds and seeing these new creators.

If game developers think that way, their game economies quickly spiral out of control and the game dies.

See how easy that is?

You've presented a line of thought, and it isn't a completely original line of thought: others have tried to make the time v money argument in the past. I know for a fact that it runs contrary to how game design works, for literally every game I'm aware of, but that doesn't necessarily mean it is invalid. But the burden of proof is on you to demonstrate why anyone should take it seriously. If the fundamental basis of your argument is "oh yeah well you'll see" then okay, I don't really have a refutation for that one, but I also don't really care all that much either. It is a non-starter position, and the doomsaying that goes with it was old when I first heard it back in 2003.
    Although you do have a point I feel as if you're missing what I want. I know how these things work and ofc I have no idea what will work and what will not. But that's the point. The actors and writers going on strike now went in knowing the studios don't care about them and would do anything to be cheap but its the whole reason they're out there - to make change. You don't have to be realistic to make change. The point of making change is taking what is and morphing it for (hopefully) the better and there are going to be risks of failure trying to do it, its just how change works
    Interesting for you to pick that as an example. Because those people have, for the most part, very reasonable and realistic bargaining positions. They might not get everything they want, but no one ever does in a negotiation. However, you do have to have realistic requests for the negotiations to not be trivialized. If the writers or the actors positions were unrealistic, the studios would be out there now in the court of public opinion mocking them. However, that's extremely difficult, because it is the studios that have the unrealistic position for the most part.

Those people have a specific list of things they want. They didn't go on strike asking the studios to just make things better. Also, most if not all of their asks are within the realm of the theoretically possible, and most if not all of their asks presume that compromises will be made between the two sides to achieve those objectives.

As someone who has made many suggestions that have actually been incorporated into the game, both big and small, I think your notion of why and how to advocate for change is at best odd. Every time I make a suggestion, it is realistic, it is reasonable, and it carefully accounts for the costs and benefits of the suggestion. It has an explicit set of goals. It has a specific path to achieving them. It acknowledges the resultant costs and issues to the best of my ability. I don't ask for "change" without knowing what that change will be.

Maybe that's why they sometimes succeed.

The most recent spectacular example of someone who decided to push for change without understanding precisely what that change entailed discovered that 5000 PSI turns carbon fiber pressure vessels into supersonic blenders.
    The studios are mocking them . . .

What I'm asking for is theoretically possible we just don't know what the results may be and at worst it loses them a slight bit of money they could easily make back with the next event. We need to at least try to look at other options rather than just accepting what is. Players are suffering in game due to kabam's carelessness and personally I want it to change. If you don't good for you but I am going to try to find any option that makes my and many other players' game experience.
    But you're only backing your points by saying "players are suffering" and asking for them to just change things. Maybe if you provided real, in depth evidence to show how much the economy hurts your experience, something could come of this. But just saying that this is your opinion and you don't know much is not going to get anywhere. Don't waste your time with these arguments, keep track of the ftp resource economy from your individual perspective, and then present those numbers as proof. Kabam has all of this data on hand and employees they pay to keep track of and understand it all. If you can show them that their system has holes, that could be effective, though unlikely. This thread, however, definitely won't be making any waves.
    That was my original comment
    It wasn't. You provided one source of resources and compared it to one of the largest spending events of the year. Instead of that, keep track of all of the available Gold, ISO, Rankup Materials, Units, and Crystals that ftp players can possibly obtain over an entire month of gameplay. 2+ hours a day, for about 30 days. Put that data into a spreadsheet or some sort of data management tool, then present that to the Forums in a detailed report. The people tasked with managing this economy do this, and much more, for a living. If you can't do that just once, you really cannot have a valid argument.

There's a reason people like DNA are well respected in the community, and it's definitely not due to baseless, opinionated arguments. It takes a lot more work to make change than what you seem to be willing to put in.
    This is just a starting point not an end goal I will make a spreadsheet a present it when I have time to but atm I just cant be bothered
    Then change will not be made until you can be bothered.
  • PotatoGodPotatoGod Member Posts: 93

PotatoGod said:

PotatoGod said:

PotatoGod said:

DNA3000 said:

PotatoGod said:

DNA3000 said:

PotatoGod said:

People are soon going to realize that not playing the game gets you farther than actually trying to play. You can think what you want but if Kabam isn't going to reward the playerbase for their time and efforts then they are going to leave, its as simple as that. There was a reason why I quit the first time and the only thing that brought me back was battlegrounds and seeing these new creators.

If game developers think that way, their game economies quickly spiral out of control and the game dies.

See how easy that is?

You've presented a line of thought, and it isn't a completely original line of thought: others have tried to make the time v money argument in the past. I know for a fact that it runs contrary to how game design works, for literally every game I'm aware of, but that doesn't necessarily mean it is invalid. But the burden of proof is on you to demonstrate why anyone should take it seriously. If the fundamental basis of your argument is "oh yeah well you'll see" then okay, I don't really have a refutation for that one, but I also don't really care all that much either. It is a non-starter position, and the doomsaying that goes with it was old when I first heard it back in 2003.
    Although you do have a point I feel as if you're missing what I want. I know how these things work and ofc I have no idea what will work and what will not. But that's the point. The actors and writers going on strike now went in knowing the studios don't care about them and would do anything to be cheap but its the whole reason they're out there - to make change. You don't have to be realistic to make change. The point of making change is taking what is and morphing it for (hopefully) the better and there are going to be risks of failure trying to do it, its just how change works
    Interesting for you to pick that as an example. Because those people have, for the most part, very reasonable and realistic bargaining positions. They might not get everything they want, but no one ever does in a negotiation. However, you do have to have realistic requests for the negotiations to not be trivialized. If the writers or the actors positions were unrealistic, the studios would be out there now in the court of public opinion mocking them. However, that's extremely difficult, because it is the studios that have the unrealistic position for the most part.

Those people have a specific list of things they want. They didn't go on strike asking the studios to just make things better. Also, most if not all of their asks are within the realm of the theoretically possible, and most if not all of their asks presume that compromises will be made between the two sides to achieve those objectives.

As someone who has made many suggestions that have actually been incorporated into the game, both big and small, I think your notion of why and how to advocate for change is at best odd. Every time I make a suggestion, it is realistic, it is reasonable, and it carefully accounts for the costs and benefits of the suggestion. It has an explicit set of goals. It has a specific path to achieving them. It acknowledges the resultant costs and issues to the best of my ability. I don't ask for "change" without knowing what that change will be.

Maybe that's why they sometimes succeed.

The most recent spectacular example of someone who decided to push for change without understanding precisely what that change entailed discovered that 5000 PSI turns carbon fiber pressure vessels into supersonic blenders.
    The studios are mocking them . . .

What I'm asking for is theoretically possible we just don't know what the results may be and at worst it loses them a slight bit of money they could easily make back with the next event. We need to at least try to look at other options rather than just accepting what is. Players are suffering in game due to kabam's carelessness and personally I want it to change. If you don't good for you but I am going to try to find any option that makes my and many other players' game experience.
    But you're only backing your points by saying "players are suffering" and asking for them to just change things. Maybe if you provided real, in depth evidence to show how much the economy hurts your experience, something could come of this. But just saying that this is your opinion and you don't know much is not going to get anywhere. Don't waste your time with these arguments, keep track of the ftp resource economy from your individual perspective, and then present those numbers as proof. Kabam has all of this data on hand and employees they pay to keep track of and understand it all. If you can show them that their system has holes, that could be effective, though unlikely. This thread, however, definitely won't be making any waves.
    That was my original comment
    It wasn't. You provided one source of resources and compared it to one of the largest spending events of the year. Instead of that, keep track of all of the available Gold, ISO, Rankup Materials, Units, and Crystals that ftp players can possibly obtain over an entire month of gameplay. 2+ hours a day, for about 30 days. Put that data into a spreadsheet or some sort of data management tool, then present that to the Forums in a detailed report. The people tasked with managing this economy do this, and much more, for a living. If you can't do that just once, you really cannot have a valid argument.

There's a reason people like DNA are well respected in the community, and it's definitely not due to baseless, opinionated arguments. It takes a lot more work to make change than what you seem to be willing to put in.
    This is just a starting point not an end goal I will make a spreadsheet a present it when I have time to but atm I just cant be bothered
    Then change will not be made until you can be bothered.
    No ****
  • CoppinCoppin Member Posts: 2,601 ★★★★★
    PotatoGod said:

Coppin said:

PotatoGod said:

Coppin said:

PotatoGod said:

How many rewards could you have grinded for instead of replying to 4 pages of comments? Asking for a friend.

Ive gotten 500k points so idk where you're going with this
    PotatoGod said:

Coppin said:

PotatoGod said:

PotatoGod said:

PotatoGod said:

PotatoGod said:

PotatoGod said:

PotatoGod said:

PotatoGod said:

I've typed a response several times, and I keep deleting. The only thing coming up is "Huh?".

TLDR: Spending your time at a minimum wage job (In the Us) will get you better rewards for time spent than battlegrounds
    I for one am not shocked that working is more financially rewarding than playing a game.

I measure the output of my games in how much I enjoy them, how much fun I get out of them. Rather than working out a cost/hour

If you want to do that, be my guest, but it’s not a good indicator of value in games. Games are not meant to be equivalent to minimum wage in any way. You don’t have a contract with kabam, you aren’t owed anything by kabam. You spend your time because you enjoy it
    The problem is is that it get increasingly harder to enjoy the game when someone who doesn't play it get better rewards than you. I want it to be less of a split and have it be more fair so that f2p can at least try to compete. It also becomes less fun due to the amount of losses you have to endure because of that gap.
    That’s ultimately your decision, but it still remains true that you can’t compare it to a minimum wage job and expect to have a wildly relevant point I’m afraid.
    Its not about playing the game vs working a minimum wage job its about grinding the game for rewards vs not playing for rewards. The minimum wage job was just an example of why its bad
    I’m saying it’s a bad example. And there will always be ways to grind the game and ways to spend. It’s why we still have a game.
    Yes but the grinding should be equal if not greater than spending. Thats what brings the game to life in the first place- playing it
    The game would not exist if grinding was equal or greater than spending. You're right that playing the game is what brings it to life, but spenders play it too.
    Yes but the pace the game is headed the spenders wont need to grind to stay ahead of everyone else
    Maybe, but we only have to worry when the spenders stop wanting to grind. As long as people keep playing the game, the game is going to be fine.

I do have to wonder how much spenders really affect your experience. For me personally, I face some annoying accounts in BGs, but that's the extent of it. I would be more worried about what the economy looks like for ftp players than what it looks like for the whales. As long as you enjoy developing your roster and managing your resources, the economy is doing well. If you don't, that's a seperate issue that will not be solved by nerfing deals.
    However I do think that reducing the rewards given in deals and making them more suitable for the economy rather than one that would be in a couple months would be better. Spenders are going to buy no matter what anf Kabam should really just do what they have been doing, adding events that actually give good rewards for FTP and p2w.
    But see, that's where you kinda contradict yourself. As you said, Kabam has been making events where ftp and ptw both benefit. In this case, Kabam gave an event where ptw players were given an outrageous benefit, and are now going to face the task of allowing ftp players to catch up. Lowering the impact of deals would not help, because ftp players are then given the potential of obtaining those same rewards in the near future. This is just the way Kabam's system works.

I get that facing these massive accounts can be frustrating and BGs has also been my main motivation for a while, but I have to wonder what your method of account growth is. If your argument is going to be that you cannot physically compete due to the amount of possible rewards for ftp being that much lower than ptw, showing the amount of rewards you can achieve is going to be the best way to do that. I think you'll likely see that there are a few forms of progress that you're missing.
    Not sure what Im missing? I do as much arena as I can if I have time, I do all aq, eq, and when it was on aw. Im almost done progressing through 8.2 and am going to do incursion later tomorrow when I have time. The only thing I haven't done so far is variants because its variants.Very long boring and monotonous with the only worthwhile rewards being gold.

Yeah you're right it isn't how kabam's system works but that is why I made this post, so I could try to get a message out saying that this isn't good. And yeah kabam has to face the task of giving FTP rewards to catch them up. But with how they've been doing the last month or so I doubt that is what is on their mind right now. Lack of communication doesn't give me hope that they are going to give us those resources to FTP.

I don't know why giving FTP players rewards sooner to help is a bad thing. Kabam would make much more money if they made multiple more offers a year with lesser values that allows p2w have an advantage for a short while and then allow FTP to catch up still gives ptw the advantage and Kabam more money
    This is such a disconnection from reality....
    Basically you want Kabam to give F2P players more stuff so people who spend have to keep pn spending to stay ahead...You wanna be the means to milk spending players...
    Stop calling them P2W... Its not their fault you have this idea that you will be able to compete against spenders and a lot of F2P dedicated accounts, IF you had 1 or 2 r5s when you still have r2s in your deck...
    They're already milking spenders so it wouldn't be anything new.

They are literally Pay to Win players. Why would I stop calling them that? They pay so they can 'win'. Not hard

Again if English isn't your first language sorry but I don't think I've ever seen someone be as terrible at reading as you. I have told you multiple times that I never said that having just 1 r5 or just 2r5 would win me everything, I said it would help because you can't get your mind off of it. I would certainly love more r4s but even then the milestones only give you 2/3 of one.
    Then call yourself Free to lose...
    Let me explain to you how the world works...
    Kabam's purpose is to gain new customers thru deals, not give free stuff to free players so the spenders spend more. Guess what happens if a Whale quits, they lose a customer. Guess what happens if you quit? NOTHING...
    I can read you perfectly, and nothing will help you cause all you do is blame your shortcomings on something else. You don't have a deep or developed roster, you don't like to "hazzle", and you want beter rewards based on what spenders get while you have no intentions of spending, like a parasite. Is this plain English enough for you?
    Claiming to be able to read properly and then misspelling hassle 4 times in a row tells me all I need to know
    Well yeah I can read properly, i spell like **** but i read properly...
    Considering you miss the point of every single post and comment I make . . .
    Considering you are lazy, entitled and incompetent...
  • CoppinCoppin Member Posts: 2,601 ★★★★★
    PotatoGod said:

PotatoGod said:

PotatoGod said:

PotatoGod said:

I've typed a response several times, and I keep deleting. The only thing coming up is "Huh?".

TLDR: Spending your time at a minimum wage job (In the Us) will get you better rewards for time spent than battlegrounds
    No, I understood the points. I just don't understand the comparison. Playing the game is not a transferable source of income. It's a service. It offers premiums at various times and in various amounts. Which is why it makes me somewhat cringe when people compare the in-game economy to the J4th sales, because that's not the norm.
    In any event, the game is playable at whatever level of investment we choose to have, be it time or money. It's like a job in a sense that you get what you put into it, but the payoff is apples and kumquats.
    These deals are going to propel you forward massively and will keep the players who spent further ahead even with rewards kabam will be giving out within the next couple months. I never said it was a transferable source of income. It is a fact that working a job to get rewards will benefit you more than actually playing the game in terms of account progression.
    Spending has always accelerated growth in the game. All it does is save time. You can spend and have it faster, or wait and work towards it in the game. That's the way it's always been.
    It doesn't 'save time' it progresses you further than the amount of time you spend. It isn't an alternative its the BETTER option
    For those who have the option, perhaps. For others, it isn't an option at all.
    Honestly, I'm having a hard time understanding what exactly your point is here. You've made a number of abstract comparisons, and I'm not entirely sure what your objective is. Are you complaining about people spending, or suggesting people spend?
    I want kabam to change to severe gap between f2p and spending even if it is just a little. Idc if people spend I just don't want it to be at my expense
    What expense? You are a Free to lose player...
    You are not an expense 🤣 you are an active spectator....
    Are you in the delusiom that spenders spend cause otherwise thet wouldn't be able to beat you? Lol
    For this and any other game you play, you are a simple download statistic... Expense rofl
  • Bugmat78Bugmat78 Member Posts: 2,357 ★★★★★
    DNA3000 said:

The last time I worked a minimum wage job I too was a student, and virtually all my money went to food and comic books. And of the two, food was the optional expense.

:* reminds me of someone...
  • DNA3000DNA3000 Member, Guardian Posts: 19,387 Guardian
    PotatoGod said:

The problem is not your math. No one is questioning your math. They are questioning why the numbers should matter.