So how exactly are they going to fix this mess?

167891012»

Comments

• CoppinCoppin Member Posts: 2,601 ★★★★★

I'm sorry, but I disagree. This was a situation that was unplanned, but had an extreme effect. This certainly isn't something to bank on as being a good idea.
    In fact, that's what happens anytime someone exploits something. They take the chance that they can get away with it, at the expense of their Account.
    This should never be normalized, and it's not a situation to put in our pockets for future use. I wouldn't have much sympathy for anyone who was banned this time, and I equally wouldn't in the future for anyone who decides to try it again.
    They opted to remove them rather than ban people. We can argue until the cows come home about that being a poor choice, but it's the one they made. They did that to the best of their reasonable ability.
    When this whole Thread began, I suggested that perfection may not be possible and that there may be some collateral damage. That was the case. It's unfortunate, and some people ended up with a rabbit's foot, but that response is even more rare than the bug that released the Crystals. It should never be considered a strategy for getting Rewards, and if someone is ballsy enough to try it in the future, their consequences will be on them just the same.
    We all have passionate ideas about fairness, and I don't have time for cheating either, but at the end of the day it's not my call, and it's not anyone else's here. One thing is for certain. If you think Kabam is going to allow people to do it again, you're not aware of the process of learning.

What about the efforts to refund them generic gems for the catalysts they used and still get them BG season rewards? That’s not just doing the best they could in a bad situation and moving on. That’s actively working to help the people that exploited this. That’s the part I really don’t understand. How do you rationalize that part?
    Don't bother replying to him, he's just going to defend Kabam no matter what we say and no matter how wrong this whole situation is. He's been doing it for four days, he's extremely dense, it's pointless.
    Four days? More like 4 years. Instead of taking quick action (immediately temp ban anyone with a mythic crystal count over 200), the situation was left to fester and become exponentially more intricate to untangle.

But the defense force is quick to respond to…

Statement: Kabam not taking a harsh stance against exploit abuse is going to result in more people abusing exploits.

Response: Well I have no time for cheating and perfection is impossible so cut Kabam some slack!

Yikes.
    200?..
    Not even..
    TB and Paragon OBVIOUSLY wanted to exploit..
    They should have been banned right away.
    Cavs.. a lot easier to deal and delete everything...maybe a 7 day suspension to fix everything during those 7 days..
    If you tell me any TB or Paragon went for Cav rewards by mistake or without knowing they were exploiting a bug ... That must be the biggest load of BS comming out of the biggest bull you have ever seen in your life...
  • GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Member Posts: 36,505 ★★★★★

I'm sorry, but I disagree. This was a situation that was unplanned, but had an extreme effect. This certainly isn't something to bank on as being a good idea.
    In fact, that's what happens anytime someone exploits something. They take the chance that they can get away with it, at the expense of their Account.
    This should never be normalized, and it's not a situation to put in our pockets for future use. I wouldn't have much sympathy for anyone who was banned this time, and I equally wouldn't in the future for anyone who decides to try it again.
    They opted to remove them rather than ban people. We can argue until the cows come home about that being a poor choice, but it's the one they made. They did that to the best of their reasonable ability.
    When this whole Thread began, I suggested that perfection may not be possible and that there may be some collateral damage. That was the case. It's unfortunate, and some people ended up with a rabbit's foot, but that response is even more rare than the bug that released the Crystals. It should never be considered a strategy for getting Rewards, and if someone is ballsy enough to try it in the future, their consequences will be on them just the same.
    We all have passionate ideas about fairness, and I don't have time for cheating either, but at the end of the day it's not my call, and it's not anyone else's here. One thing is for certain. If you think Kabam is going to allow people to do it again, you're not aware of the process of learning.

What about the efforts to refund them generic gems for the catalysts they used and still get them BG season rewards? That’s not just doing the best they could in a bad situation and moving on. That’s actively working to help the people that exploited this. That’s the part I really don’t understand. How do you rationalize that part?
    The decision wasn't remove the booty *and punish along the way*. It was to remove the booty. Now, I'm sure people take issue with that, but that's what they decided.
    Given that it was the course of action they took, removing the Champs and a few extras along the way wasn't on the table. It was to remove what they got.
    Again, there is a tendency to extend these things into everything they did, like BGs, but when you're talking about unraveling what they did and didn't do with what they got, that just makes it increasingly complex.
    I know it's not the solution people wanted to see, but for whatever reason, they chose to go that route. Which means they were only concerned with removing what they got from the Crystals and then were faced with refunding what was theirs to begin with, and that's the way they had to go about it.
  • ReignkingTWReignkingTW Member Posts: 2,774 ★★★★★

The decision wasn't remove the booty *and punish along the way*. It was to remove the booty. Now, I'm sure people take issue with that, but that's what they decided.
    Given that it was the course of action they took, removing the Champs and a few extras along the way wasn't on the table. It was to remove what they got.
    Again, there is a tendency to extend these things into everything they did, like BGs, but when you're talking about unraveling what they did and didn't do with what they got, that just makes it increasingly complex.
    I know it's not the solution people wanted to see, but for whatever reason, they chose to go that route. Which means they were only concerned with removing what they got from the Crystals and then were faced with refunding what was theirs to begin with, and that's the way they had to go about it.
    I'm not sure they could even do that.

I'm *hoping* that if something like this occurs again, they will shut things down quickly and restore to the previous unaltered time. I'm hoping that's what they've learned. It's doable IF you have a plan in place.

I'm not sure they could even do that.

I'm *hoping* that if something like this occurs again, they will shut things down quickly and restore to the previous unaltered time. I'm hoping that's what they've learned. It's doable IF you have a plan in place.
    It's not as simple as a reset from what I understand. If that was a thing, I'm sure that would have been done.
  • ItsClobberinTimeItsClobberinTime Member Posts: 5,403 ★★★★★
    edited August 2023

Don't bother replying to him, he's just going to defend Kabam no matter what we say and no matter how wrong this whole situation is. He's been doing it for four days, he's extremely dense, it's pointless.
    Four days? More like 4 years. Instead of taking quick action (immediately temp ban anyone with a mythic crystal count over 200), the situation was left to fester and become exponentially more intricate to untangle.

But the defense force is quick to respond to…

Statement: Kabam not taking a harsh stance against exploit abuse is going to result in more people abusing exploits.

Response: Well I have no time for cheating and perfection is impossible so cut Kabam some slack!

Yikes.
    Oh I agree, I was talking about this particular situation right now though.
    I just don't get how someone could suck up to Kabam and not protest against the decisions they made when they're literally leaving Cav accounts with a bunch of 6* and 7*, awakening and rank up gems when they obviously had full control over what they removed and what they didn't remove.
    Why go over the top and refund people for abusing an exploit instead of just removing everything they gained, period. It makes absolutely no sense, this is why I tell people to stop arguing with GW, nothing of substance ever comes out of those discussions.
    To your other point, I agree that acting faster would have mitigated the effects, but I don't have the backend details. How busy they were, how many Accounts were affected, all that.
  • Drago_von_DragoDrago_von_Drago Member Posts: 802 ★★★★
    I guess I’m just confused. Does Kabam punish players for exploiting bugs that are this game breaking or do they go out of their way to make sure players that exploited it aren’t hurt by the fix?

In the past, it was a “punish the exploiter” approach. Now it seems to be a “go out of our way to help these people not lose out on anything while we try to fix the mess” approach.

If it’s always going to be the latter going forward, that’s great and I support. I don’t like playing new side quests with the fear that I could end up getting banned for 7 days or suffer other consequences for playing broken content. I just want consistency and clear expectations. We don’t seem to have that.
  • ThomildoThomildo Member Posts: 502 ★★★
    Coppin said:

I am still trying to find the negative effect or punishment on this...
    Cause at this point my thoughts are "man i wish i had exploited this..
    Let see.. get to keep 7*s... On top of that convert items with expiration dates into generic rank up gems... Man that makes item management so much easier...
    Also lets review the subject of fixing the best they can...
    -Millions of loyalty...fix? nothing...
    -TB deals equal to 10 6*s... fix? NOTHING..
    -1250 Mythic Crystals... fix.. 6*s 5* iso and gold removed.. 7* intact and rank up gem trades for mats .. 🤔
    Oh yeah I wonder how the people who got banned on that mutant SQ exploit feel.. about being banned for taking 10-15-20 AGs.. as opposed of potentially getting 30-40k worth of 7* shards...

Exactly. I know a guy who picked up some gems on the mutant treasure island thing. 7-day ban and the gems and a 6* Diablo was removed. Didn’t benefit from the exploit, as it should be..
  • HungaryHippoHungaryHippo Member Posts: 914 ★★★★
    Thomildo said:

Coppin said:

I am still trying to find the negative effect or punishment on this...
    Cause at this point my thoughts are "man i wish i had exploited this..
    Let see.. get to keep 7*s... On top of that convert items with expiration dates into generic rank up gems... Man that makes item management so much easier...
    Also lets review the subject of fixing the best they can...
    -Millions of loyalty...fix? nothing...
    -TB deals equal to 10 6*s... fix? NOTHING..
    -1250 Mythic Crystals... fix.. 6*s 5* iso and gold removed.. 7* intact and rank up gem trades for mats .. 🤔
    Oh yeah I wonder how the people who got banned on that mutant SQ exploit feel.. about being banned for taking 10-15-20 AGs.. as opposed of potentially getting 30-40k worth of 7* shards...

Exactly. I know a guy who picked up some gems on the mutant treasure island thing. 7-day ban and the gems and a 6* Diablo was removed. Didn’t benefit from the exploit, as it should be..
    But if Kabam didn’t make sure they lost nothing, their feelings would be hurt. And you can’t hurt people’s feelings in 2023 didn’t you know?
  • ReignkingTWReignkingTW Member Posts: 2,774 ★★★★★

To your other point, I agree that acting faster would have mitigated the effects, but I don't have the backend details. How busy they were, how many Accounts were affected, all that.

I believe that. In retrospect they'll probably put a plan in place for extreme mistakes like this.
  • DrZolaDrZola Member Posts: 8,966 ★★★★★

I believe that. In retrospect they'll probably put a plan in place for extreme mistakes like this.
    Testing and/or proofreading would be a nice starting point.

Dr. Zola
  • ThomildoThomildo Member Posts: 502 ★★★
    DrZola said:

Testing and/or proofreading would be a nice starting point.

Dr. Zola
    Sorry. We don’t do that here. ✋
This discussion has been closed.