**KNOWN AW ISSUE**
Please be aware, there is a known issue with Saga badging when observing the AW map.
The team have found the source of the issue and will be updating with our next build.
We apologize for the inconvenience.
Options

Adjustment to Relics Release Cadence

Comments

• Options
    GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Posts: 36,376 ★★★★★
    Go_To said:

I'm not sidetracking anything. I'd actually like to hear some ideas for what people would think would improve them. I'm tired of the same "Get rid of them." argument. Months of arguing against them for no reason at all, other than the principle of them.
    That ship has sailed. They're here.

They shouldn’t have even arrived. The community shouldn’t have to fine tune a feature that kabam created. They should have scrapped the idea and used the time to fix bugs and add things the community actually asked for. We owe them and you no opinions on how something we didn’t want should be fixed. Just remove them and create mastery setups already
    Well I'm sorry you feel that way, but that's your perception on the issue.
  • Options
    Drago_von_DragoDrago_von_Drago Posts: 781 ★★★★

Go_To said:

bdawg923 said:

bdawg923 said:

Please just remove them from the game, and compensate people who spent money or resources on them. The majority don't want relics. Spend your development time on features people want. The majority of your players DO NOT CARE ABOUT OR WANT RELICS. Get it through your heads, please. I'm so glad you're finally beginning to realize it.

Don't take only this forums as source to say the majority don't like. McoC have a huge fan base gamers outside here in many countries.

Or show the stats that tell this.

I like the relics.
    Do you think they're only going by forum comments or something? It's obvious they have many more sources of data other than what we here are saying.
    Data which shows people have been using them. That's why they're still in the game.
    People haven’t been using them and have definitely not been buying them. That’s the whole point of this post. How can you say they are relevant when kabam themselves is saying they aren’t doing well enough to continue pursuing?
    We didn't say any of that, and our data is showing that most players with access to relics do use them, and NOT in content that even incentivizes it. If they weren't, then we wouldn't be talking about a pause. I wrote this in another thread, so I'll copy and paste it here:

Relics as they exist right now occupy design space that overlaps heavily with Champions, making them pretty time consuming to make. How do you create a Relic that benefits Champions abilities without adding new ones, and also make that affect a few Champions?

We want to take time to re-evaluate the design space that relics occupy, and see where they might land that would make them less challenging to design and not cut into the space that we've carved out for Champion abilities on their own.
    I do like relics and use them often. I do not like that we pretty have to use them in BGs to maintain a level playing field and I don’t like the nodes that punish you for not having them, or the right ones. I really don’t like that I when I use them, I get punished because they don’t work properly (whiffing, or hitting into block).

Having said all that, I could offer up a solution, that you may or not like.

1. Make sure they work properly. No missing hits that actually punish you for using them.
    2. Don’t worry about adding abilities to individual ones. Have each relic (new ones only) give a class benefit. Mystic - passive stagger, Mutant - prowess, Skill - crit bonus etc…. The bonus scales with rarity. 3* relic grants a 10% prowess, 4* a 20% etc…

Once you guys understand that the majority, not all, but majority of players use them ONLY as combo extenders and for the passive stun, all these headaches we all have will go away.

While it was a cool thought to have certain relics benefit certain champs etc… that is purely wasted development time on your end. Make them simple and not complicated to use. Make them work properly and everyone is happy about them.
    I like the simple class-wide buff concept for them to start. That seems straightforward but I wonder if there enough outliers in each class for it to make someone significantly stronger than the rest of the class. That plays into the next ideas though which is:

I’d be ok with specific relics eventually becoming a pseudo buff for older champs. We’ve heard suggestions that part of the problem with devoting a lot of time to buffing older champs is they aren’t really sellable because everyone already has them. If there were relics that provided enough of a benefit to be a pseudo buff for a specific champ, that would make it sellable and give life to some OG champs. Maybe the old value update buffs could be handled to some extent through relics?

I also like the synergy replacement concept and think that would open up some new team options and be a nice benefit.

The current approach of adding small buffs or increases seems too tedious to keep track of for the minimal gains and upgrading relics is going way too slowly. My 3* relics adding 2-3% to a buff or stat is fairly meaningless. Maybe fully ranked up it’s more noticeable but at the current rate I’m getting rank-up materials I don’t know when I’ll start seeing a value there. To be fair, I have no idea what most 5/6* relics do because I only have one 5* relic and I’m just not motivated to go down the rabbit hole to learn about them yet.

Right now they are strikers to me and that’s about it.
  • Options
    E_Rich423E_Rich423 Posts: 121 ★★
    The first batch of relics were basically useless and you know this. This last trio actually finally started adding real utility to some champs (spidey99 one especially). Seemed like you finally made progress, im not sure what the deal is here.
  • Options
    Heir_of_thanosHeir_of_thanos Posts: 55
    As one of very few players who like relics, I’m glad to see y’all are taking a step back to think about how to work them going forward. Certain relics make some champs much more fun to play (e.g. Thor relic on Angela, Iron Fist relic on Doom) but a lot of aspects about them are useless. Honestly, more relics that aren’t tailored to 3 champions would be nice, just general class boosts. For example, maybe a skill relic increasing purify ability accuracy? A cosmic relic boosting nullify resistance? There’s so much potential to relics; wouldn’t mind seeing that potential being tapped into.
  • Options
    BitterSteelBitterSteel Posts: 9,262 ★★★★★

wasn't kabam's rationale for releasing relics, "it was either this or 7 stars"? and then we got both.

That was never Kabam’s rationale at all. There was never anything said about relics replacing 7*s in any of the launch posts.
  • Options
    OffconstantOffconstant Posts: 14

As one of very few players who like relics, I’m glad to see y’all are taking a step back to think about how to work them going forward. Certain relics make some champs much more fun to play (e.g. Thor relic on Angela, Iron Fist relic on Doom) but a lot of aspects about them are useless. Honestly, more relics that aren’t tailored to 3 champions would be nice, just general class boosts. For example, maybe a skill relic increasing purify ability accuracy? A cosmic relic boosting nullify resistance? There’s so much potential to relics; wouldn’t mind seeing that potential being tapped into.

I agree with everything you’ve said brotha. I too enjoy relics and think they can make champs more fun too play. But I would like to see a general overhaul so that they aren’t so specific. Some relics are designed to fit with crappy champs no one uses.
  • Options
    JslapJslap Posts: 67
    Will Relics still be usable in alliance war starting August?
  • Options
    HungaryHippoHungaryHippo Posts: 823 ★★★★

Go_To said:

bdawg923 said:

bdawg923 said:

Please just remove them from the game, and compensate people who spent money or resources on them. The majority don't want relics. Spend your development time on features people want. The majority of your players DO NOT CARE ABOUT OR WANT RELICS. Get it through your heads, please. I'm so glad you're finally beginning to realize it.

Don't take only this forums as source to say the majority don't like. McoC have a huge fan base gamers outside here in many countries.

Or show the stats that tell this.

I like the relics.
    Do you think they're only going by forum comments or something? It's obvious they have many more sources of data other than what we here are saying.
    Data which shows people have been using them. That's why they're still in the game.
    People haven’t been using them and have definitely not been buying them. That’s the whole point of this post. How can you say they are relevant when kabam themselves is saying they aren’t doing well enough to continue pursuing?
    We didn't say any of that, and our data is showing that most players with access to relics do use them, and NOT in content that even incentivizes it. If they weren't, then we wouldn't be talking about a pause. I wrote this in another thread, so I'll copy and paste it here:

Relics as they exist right now occupy design space that overlaps heavily with Champions, making them pretty time consuming to make. How do you create a Relic that benefits Champions abilities without adding new ones, and also make that affect a few Champions?

We want to take time to re-evaluate the design space that relics occupy, and see where they might land that would make them less challenging to design and not cut into the space that we've carved out for Champion abilities on their own.
    I do like relics and use them often. I do not like that we pretty have to use them in BGs to maintain a level playing field and I don’t like the nodes that punish you for not having them, or the right ones. I really don’t like that I when I use them, I get punished because they don’t work properly (whiffing, or hitting into block).

Having said all that, I could offer up a solution, that you may or not like.

1. Make sure they work properly. No missing hits that actually punish you for using them.
    2. Don’t worry about adding abilities to individual ones. Have each relic (new ones only) give a class benefit. Mystic - passive stagger, Mutant - prowess, Skill - crit bonus etc…. The bonus scales with rarity. 3* relic grants a 10% prowess, 4* a 20% etc…

Once you guys understand that the majority, not all, but majority of players use them ONLY as combo extenders and for the passive stun, all these headaches we all have will go away.

While it was a cool thought to have certain relics benefit certain champs etc… that is purely wasted development time on your end. Make them simple and not complicated to use. Make them work properly and everyone is happy about them.
    That idea might sound like it's easy and would make Relics more valuable, but it's the exact opposite of what we want to do. You're basically talking about releasing a new mastery every other month, or extending RPG elements to more champions. That's not viable from a balance perspective. Some Champs are built and balanced in a way that works because they don't have access to certain kinds of utility, buffs, debuffs, etc,.

This is the exact problem that we are trying to address, which is what's tricky.
    In the meantime, can we get a fix for the many whiffing relics?
  • Options
    ChobblyChobbly Posts: 898 ★★★★
    edited August 2023
    I like the idea of relics, and had hoped they would relate to items in the Marvel universe, ie Cap's Shield, Mjolnir etc. We are where we are now though - they're in the game, as they are, almost as totems or avatars of champions.

With there being a pause, I think some existing relics could do with revisiting; while there was an understandable caution with making relics too powerful, the early ones were a bit hit and miss. The last three have been better.

For me, I've not really spent much in the way of time or resources ranking up relics - where I have, the benefit doesn't seem to match up with what I expect; benefits seem marginal or pretty much nonexistent.

The one thing that I am really hopeful that they look at is the idea of Synergy Relics. It reuses existing mechanics and could replace the need for champion buffs in some instances.
  • Options
    startropicsstartropics Posts: 675 ★★★★

wasn't kabam's rationale for releasing relics, "it was either this or 7 stars"? and then we got both.

That was never Kabam’s rationale at all. There was never anything said about relics replacing 7*s in any of the launch posts.
    i swear i remember a mod saying, it was either this or 7s.
  • Options
    DukenpukeDukenpuke Posts: 658 ★★★

I remember a mod saying facetiously that it was either "This or 8* champs, and I don't think that you're ready for those yet."
  • Options
    BitterSteelBitterSteel Posts: 9,262 ★★★★★

Considering they were announced at the same time, I really doubt that I’m afraid.

https://forums.playcontestofchampions.com/en/discussion/315318/future-of-progression-relics-7-stars-and-ascension-roadmap-discussion-thread/p1
  • Options
    GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Posts: 36,376 ★★★★★
    No. That was the common misconception. It was never a this-or-that situation. Miike commented that there would always be the next step, whether that was Relics or 7*s or what have you (paraphrasing), but Relics were never going to be a replacement for 7*s. That stems from the debate that Players would prefer one over the other.
  • Options
    Medi0critus_Medi0critus_ Posts: 24
    If Relic abilities were tied to existing synergies, would it not address the following issues?
    * cut down on development time
    * reduce additional testing time
    * avoid unbalancing a champion
    * improve a character without adding new abilities
    * affect multiple characters
    * make them desirable to the community

Do we know if the team have looked at the Synergy approach and discounted it based on a particular issue e.g. reduced demand for higher rarity of Relic?
  • Options
    HERUHERU Posts: 121 ★★
    ISO17 said:

I feel like for the most part we know where relics stand, a great tool (specifically in high end BG’s and questing) to extend your 5 hit combo to a 13 hit combo and get closer to finishing the fight off with a special attack.

I feel this feature is quite useful and saved my fight more than once! I'm one of those that were excited since day one by the ability to extend your combos.

But I've not spent more than 600 units over relics, because they're not comparable to a champion. They're a little added bonus, a utility. @Kabam Miike I bet the overall criticism and cold reception from the community is related only to one factor: they're overpriced!

• Options
    This pause just allows the general playerbase to catch up on all the new relics and have time to experiment,. Mostly whales and dolphins are the only ones with access to most high powered relics. A pause is good, helps the rest of us to catch up with all the newer relics.
    They are worth it, they are pretty awesome.
  • Options
    Crine60Crine60 Posts: 1,401 ★★★★
    If you would potentially be bringing in different relics when you resume them than the striker ones will you be using the same shards we have already been collecting or will they be different for a new kind of relic? Is there any point in holding our existing shards hoping for a better kind of relic?
  • Options
    raviXsharmaraviXsharma Posts: 537 ★★★
    If you were ACTUALLY closely monitoring forums, YouTube, social media, you would have know relics are the last thing we care about. There are much more important things we needed to be addressed. The only thing you have been closely monitoring is what YOU wanna do.
  • Options
    HungaryHippoHungaryHippo Posts: 823 ★★★★

If you were ACTUALLY closely monitoring forums, YouTube, social media, you would have know relics are the last thing we care about. There are much more important things we needed to be addressed. The only thing you have been closely monitoring is what YOU wanna do.

Who's we? Speak for yourself mate. I wish they gave out more relic shards and am definitely looking forward to the buffed VT rewards.