**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.
Options

BG rewards were buffed, but our spending power subtly nerfed

TyEdgeTyEdge Posts: 2,965 ★★★★★
edited August 2023 in General Discussion
I play Battlegrounds like it’s my job. What I mean is, I don’t love it, but I do enough of it that I can do all the other things I want to do. For me, that meant starting to invest in rankups that help that mode, and pushing to GC over the past two seasons, being sure to get all the 2-day rewards.

With war gone and AQ depressingly dated, it was the only way to progress. So imagine my excitement at the new milestones offered in the absence of war.

I raked in about 120,000 trophies last season - 45,000 from alliance milestones, about 30,000 reaching gladiator circuit, 8 from alliance season rewards, around 16k from 2-day events and 20,000 for goofing around and reaching gamma.

There are boom periods and bust periods - influxes of trophies and dry spells, so you budget and pace your spending. Well, as I’ve been gradually spending the earnings from my job, I basically went broke.

stretching the BG off-season from one week to two was essentially a 20% reduction in my spending power. Instead of having 120,000 trophies spread over 5 weeks (24,000 per week), it needed to be spread over 6 weeks (20,000 per week). As someone mixing r4 and r5 mats, that’s basically 30% of a t6b and t3a per week that the extended offseason denies me the opportunity to purchase.

Unfortunately, I can’t compensate with glory and its ludicrous prices, and there’s no war either. Womp womp. Rankups will wait another week, apparently.

Interestingly enough, the two added alliance milestones at 10mil and 12mil (15,000 trophies total) really aren’t enough enough to compensate for the added off-season week without BGs, much less the missing war season rewards.

Comments

• Options
    Ghostrunner01Ghostrunner01 Posts: 145 ★★
    Or like the buffed rewards were for only season 9 of BGs..
  • Options
    TyEdgeTyEdge Posts: 2,965 ★★★★★
    ahmynuts said:

If you think a two week offseason from a gamemode (that was announced well before the last season ended with good reason) is bad and causing a reduction in your spending power just wait until you hear about something that actually matters like real world inflation

I’ve had a fixed rate mortgage for over a decade and I get cost of living raises at work. I’m cool there.

I was not, however, prepared for the advertised battlegrounds buff to be a break-even proposition because they extended the off-season.
  • Options
    DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,687 Guardian
    TyEdge said:

ahmynuts said:

If you think a two week offseason from a gamemode (that was announced well before the last season ended with good reason) is bad and causing a reduction in your spending power just wait until you hear about something that actually matters like real world inflation

I’ve had a fixed rate mortgage for over a decade and I get cost of living raises at work. I’m cool there.

I was not, however, prepared for the advertised battlegrounds buff to be a break-even proposition because they extended the off-season.
    If you are indeed doing BG like a job, then the increased off season is unpaid time off. That isn't a reduction in spending power, that's less opportunity to make money. Not the same thing, because in the real world expecting to make the same amount of money across the same amount of time even when you aren't actually working fewer hours is an unrealistic expectation.

When Kabam reduces the opportunities to earn rewards, they sometimes try to compensate for this by increasing the amount of rewards achievable within the opportunities that remain. But it is not necessarily the case that those increases should fully mitigate the lowered amount of opportunities in all cases, because that's not the intent. If it did that, people would just be getting more for less, which is not a return to the status quo.

Time on the clock and time on the calendar are not fungible. There's no way to regain the economic status quo for both simultaneously. The compromise between the two is a judgment call, not a calculation.