Options

BrutalDLX challenge, what did you think?

Comments

• Options
    DeaconDeacon Posts: 4,093 ★★★★★
    1 - Hated it
    what was there to like? i don't necessarily think the rewards were much for the sheer repetitive slug it was. i mean the same old fights over and over and over and over. it wasn't a test of skill but rather a test of will lol
  • Options
    Noob_Master69Noob_Master69 Posts: 679 ★★★★
    2 - Disliked it

Out of curiosity, what did/didn't you like compared to say, the John Mulaney's Champion challenge? People have always asked for more of those and I'd like to know what the difference was in case we ever do one of these again?

To start off, the rewards are fantastic, so no issues on that! Even not counting the part of the 7* selector I think they're fantastic

But to be honest, I've never really enjoyed these Champion challenges in the past either, this has been the first time where my team was good enough and I had enough incentive to do the hardest difficulty. And maybe I'm not alone in that and there are a lot of people who haven't felt the need to do it in the past

With that said, it was way too tedious, I kinda had a good time when doing Chapter 2, it took a awhile, but felt rewarding when I was done. I had hoped to atleast autoplay the first 2 or 3 diffs of Chapter 1 but due to some very restricting nodes that wasn't possible sadly.

And honestly, I had my expectiations kinda set to a boss rush because it lines up well with RoL. And I personally do enjoy those A LOT.

So for me it's really a combo of all of these things, but eventhough I didn't really like the content I still think it should not deter you from doing more like this in the future, this has been one of my favorite months in MCOC history!
  • Options
    MoosetiptronicMoosetiptronic Posts: 2,128 ★★★★
    4 - Liked it
    Considering this was built by a chap who parried and blocked a wolverine to death with a 3/30 4* electro, I felt the grind was somewhat appropriate.

But I think @MarvelNoob hits the nail on the head; we all rushed it to obtain those fantastic rewards and in that context, the first chapter did feel Grindy.

Personally, I enjoyed it!
  • Options
    Chuck_FinleyChuck_Finley Posts: 844 ★★★★★
    0 - Didn’t do it
    Tried it.
    Hated it.
    Abandoned it.

I can live without the latest shiny object when the game I play as a past time turns into something I hate.
  • Options
    DaddriedaDaddrieda Posts: 1,574 ★★★★
    It was alright. The issue was that it was too repetitive with the same champions. Might be time on away from BrutalDLX with realm of legends challenge to turn into something else.

The rewards was nice and juicy for sure.
  • Options
    TangerineBallsTangerineBalls Posts: 44
    2 - Disliked it
    Excessively grindy, rinse and repeating the same paths 40+ times across the 2 challenges was way too much. The BrutalDLX quest alone was enough. To endure the quest with varying difficulty as well was a step too far. Some creativity to differ the quests would have been better! Rather than same 5 fights over and over, with the couple extra nodes to ramp up the difficulty… wasn’t something I’d like to do again thank you!
  • Options
    QacobQacob Posts: 2,253 ★★★★★
    1 - Hated it
    I'll echo everyone else and say the first chapter was just insanely boring and time consuming.

Would have been cool to have put the majority of the rewards as completion/exploration rewards for the 2nd chapter only, and then put smaller prizes (gold, iso, some shards, etc) as path rewards in the 1st chapter to allow us to pick and choose what we need and not make us slog through proven difficulty to access the rewards that we earned at paragon level.
  • Options
    HungaryHippoHungaryHippo Posts: 780 ★★★★
    3 - Neutral
    It was fine. Did it over a week but trying to rush through it would have been mind-numbing.
  • Options
    Vegeta9001Vegeta9001 Posts: 1,371 ★★★★
    2 - Disliked it

Out of curiosity, what did/didn't you like compared to say, the John Mulaney's Champion challenge? People have always asked for more of those and I'd like to know what the difference was in case we ever do one of these again?

My main gripe was having to do 7 sets of 6 lines. 3 difficulties that by all accounts I should've been able to auto fight without the restrictive nodes. That and the fact I didn't use a single revive throughout meaning there was no real challenge and it just got repetitive and boring. The DLX difficulty was cool but having to backtrack through the other six was just soul rending.
  • Options
    KillSwitchKillSwitch Posts: 282 ★★★
    1 - Hated it
    7-star selector and rewards were okay, but that is time I will never get back. Had me on the brink of deleting the game that I’ve played since download day.
  • Options
    BulmktBulmkt Posts: 1,566 ★★★★
    4 - Liked it
    I was fine with what needed to be done in chapter 2

But chapter 1 for 100% completion was tedious and boring. Paragon players should have had the lower levels up to TB credited.
  • Options
    LJFLJF Posts: 172 ★★★
    2 - Disliked it

Mulaney's, Bautista's, and Larsen's (I think?), all had the great dynamic of a slow ramp for the first 4-5 quests, followed by a really hard final quest . For those designs, I liked that I could auto-fight the first 1-3 quests because that way I didn't need to grind a lot of simple and boring fights. And I enjoyed the final quest, even though it was hard, because it pushed me to rise to the difficulty and beat it. So each of those had the combination of (1) not being as long/grindy and (2) a challenge at the end.

This BrutalDLX quest lacked both qualities. The earlier quests were designed such that even high-level Paragon players couldn't auto-fight anything but the first quest. This made quests 2-6 incredibly grindy because they weren't overly difficult, I just had to pay a lot of attention. Chapter 1 Quest 6 was a mirror copy of Chapter 2 Quest 1, which made it seem even longer because I was literally doing the same fights over and over again with no changes. The final quest was not hard at all by comparison to the other celebrity quests we've had. Each fight had a little trick that, with the right champ (even a 5*, such as Ronan for WS and Vision) was an easy solo. I am not great at this game, but used zero items. For comparison, I used several revives on each of the prior celebrity challenges. I'm not saying a quest's design is measured by how many revives I have to use, but it's a good indicator of the difficulty level.

Next time, you should avoid the grind and up the challenge at the end so it's actually, you know, challenging.
  • Options
    Bawa69Bawa69 Posts: 488 ★★★
    4 - Liked it

First off too grindy in the first chapter .....especially on the lower difficulties....secondly it was released in a month with already a lot to grind in terms of the incursions side quest .... the rewards were the redeeming quality of the quest and the legend crystal was what made it worth it'
  • Options
    cane47cane47 Posts: 39
    1 - Hated it
    Doing the same path 42 times was mind numbing, but just my opinion
  • Options
    RaganatorRaganator Posts: 2,518 ★★★★★
    edited August 2023
    3 - Neutral

I think people ask for more because it's more content and more rewards - not because of the way the quests are set up. The problem is the length and how boring it become. As i mentioned above, give keys to each progression level to be able to bypass certain paths. In doing so, I would welcome the gated path to be hard (more challenging that the final path of quest 2). Appease both the lower and higher rated players.
  • Options
    Phantomfire500Phantomfire500 Posts: 227 ★★
    edited August 2023
    4 - Liked it

Mulaney's had a massive difficulty spike for chapter 2 so even though chap 1 was pretty grindy you could pretty much auto it, and definitely didn't have to pay attention. Exploring paragon on the other hand probably takes longer than the actual challenge for this, since you're doing more fights and you're probably not boosted.

Mulaney's was also a lot more difficult than this, where Juggernaut and Hulk are the only fights you couldn't do with one arm behind your back with a team of Ronan, Red Mags/Nimrod and one of the many SW counters. The difficulty was overshadowed by the grindiness here.

I personally have time to kill, and I'm not starved for difficult content so these grievances don't really matter to me, but I do still prefer the boss rush format over the 36 of the same 6 fights format

Maybe take out all chapter rewards and put them in the quest rewards? That way you can pick and choose which quests to do, and still get all the relevant rewards, while allowing weaker players to get rewards up to the point they can complete.
  • Options
    BigBlueOxBigBlueOx Posts: 1,595 ★★★★★
    2 - Disliked it

Thanks for following up on this. This quest was like that joke about Pete and Repete in a boat.

If you don’t know it (and I’m sure you probably do), Pete falls out, who’s left in the boat?

This Challenge.

Ok jokes outta my system, the fight design was pretty fun tbh, I really enjoyed them but wish more fights were like the Hulk boss and less cheesy than they ended up. The real problem was it was the same 5 fights x 6 paths x 7 chapters with very very little difference other than attack value and healthpools. After 3 paths it felt mindless and we still had 39 paths to go. It needed more of a shake up in difficulty and less volume of fights.
  • Options
    Markjv81Markjv81 Posts: 1,005 ★★★★
    Doing chapter 2 should have auto completed chapter 1. Or at least make it so you only have to do 1-2 levels under your current level, doing all six was just tedious, when loading fights takes longer than the fight itself somethings not right.
  • Options
    MalchaeisMalchaeis Posts: 176 ★★
    3 - Neutral
    Not hard just tedious. Cheesed my way through with Ronan for ws and vision. AA for juggs. And invisible woman for sw and wolverine. And 2 skill champs for hulk.
  • Options
    4 - Liked it
    First challenge map I was able to fully explore, wasted some pots, revs and units because of carelessness.
    Should have waited a week before attempting it seriously with the help of recommended champs from guides
  • Options
    BendyBendy Posts: 3,712 ★★★★★

I loved it however it been better if

1. paragon tb and brutaldlx chapter was 1 quest as they felt the same.

2. the jugs issue with the damage increase got seen too as people have been experiencing for the time it was up that jugs wasnt getting damage by 200% at times.

3. Probs a little smaller amount of fights if gonna do high hp as it feels very boring quickly if u have to fight 6 times at 400k each lane of every champ if gonna do high health then id say keep to 3 but increase the difficulty of each lane.
  • Options
    JessieSJessieS Posts: 1,402 ★★★★
    1 - Hated it
    It was so boring . It wasn’t even the difficult so kuch as how tedious the fights were
  • Options
    Rohit_316Rohit_316 Posts: 3,388 ★★★★★

You know the answer already . Don't pretend like you don't. Mediocre rewards coupled with boring , repititive lanes was the problem. Ask your team to not make such stupid challenges again .
  • Options
    witt24witt24 Posts: 25
    4 - Liked it
    I enjoyed playing my new rank-ups (Kate and Cassie)...
  • Options
    Darkness275Darkness275 Posts: 827 ★★★★
    4 - Liked it

Personally, I loved the gauntlet aspect of it. The BrutalDLX one I thought was perfect and I'd actually love for it to remain in game as permanent content - whether as is or just one path and then Hulk.

The Legends portion was way too tedious. Not difficult, just full on tedious.
  • Options
    IvarTheBonelessIvarTheBoneless Posts: 1,261 ★★★★
    4 - Liked it
    Liked these challenges in the past, will like them in the future.

I really liked the rewards here - titan shards damn nice.

I disliked the monotomy of the first chapter, like all the feedback before me.