Why is Kingpin tough in defense?

captain_rogerscaptain_rogers Member Posts: 7,897 ★★★★★
I Don't understand that whenever I place kingpin on defense in battlegrounds, he always gets a kill/Or the opponent is unable to kill him before the timer expires.. Even when opponent uses champs like cgr hulkling herc sunspot archangel. But whenever I face him on defense, I could easily wipe him out in a minute (I mostly use herc tigra sunspot or domino against him). I can understand he is tanky, but why do people lose to him? It's not like he has unavoidable damage,huge block penetration or tough to dex specials. Am I missing something? Why he's tough in defense? My kingpin is r4 unduped.

Comments

• MagrailothosMagrailothos Member Posts: 5,826 ★★★★★
    I don't know. As you say, he's not really all that tricky. Although he does have a fairly huge healthpool.

Maybe because a lot of people don't use Bishop?
  • captain_rogerscaptain_rogers Member Posts: 7,897 ★★★★★

I don't know. As you say, he's not really all that tricky. Although he does have a fairly huge healthpool.

Maybe because a lot of people don't use Bishop?

Bishop isn't even necessary. I almost never used my bishop against a kingpin in bg.
  • captain_rogerscaptain_rogers Member Posts: 7,897 ★★★★★
    Matty_Ice said:

If they push him to sp2 accidentally then he can cause some problems. If you are patient and bait sp1, attack, repeat, then he’s a simple kill.

Yes but I've seen almost 20 deaths to him in this season of battlegrounds. I can't understand why people slip up against him a lot lol.
  • SyndicatedSyndicated Member Posts: 635 ★★★
    kp have a Lot of power gain, and sp2 is really hard to face, and he purifies almost everything, like to fight him with Storm pyramid x
  • Matty_IceMatty_Ice Member Posts: 594 ★★★

Matty_Ice said:

If they push him to sp2 accidentally then he can cause some problems. If you are patient and bait sp1, attack, repeat, then he’s a simple kill.

Yes but I've seen almost 20 deaths to him in this season of battlegrounds. I can't understand why people slip up against him a lot lol.
    I lost to KP recently in BG. Was baiting his sp1 and accidentally hit my striker while dashing back, which pushed him to sp2 at 4 prowess. I died.
  • A_FungiA_Fungi Member Posts: 993 ★★★★
    Everyone has said it, he is kinda tanky and sometimes he just won't throw the sp1 and it becomes a problem

I know that when he doesn't shrug stun for me once, I get excited and just go in the next time hoping for the same, usually take it to the face when I do that

But just some patience and he is pretty easy
  • Wubbie075Wubbie075 Member Posts: 734 ★★★
    edited September 2023
    He's also difficult to parry which makes him a little tougher for those who are not good at intercepts.
  • Khellendros138Khellendros138 Member Posts: 565 ★★★
    His combat power rate is a huge problem. Spend a lot of time baiting those sp1s. That coupled with a large health pool and willpower are the culprits I think. Longer fights leave more room for error as well.
  • PantherusNZPantherusNZ Member Posts: 2,019 ★★★★★
    Quite tanky, making the fight take longer
    Cannot reliably parry-stun him so you're dancing around somewhat for an opening - making the fight take longer
    Also tends to purify DoTs, making the fight take longer
    His own rage debuffs likely to be triggering willpower, making the fight take longer.
    See a pattern?

When you're on a timer, especially one where every second can potentially win or lose the match, a fight that just takes longer can lead you to do silly mistakes along the way.
  • DNA3000DNA3000 Member, Guardian Posts: 19,301 Guardian

I Don't understand that whenever I place kingpin on defense in battlegrounds, he always gets a kill/Or the opponent is unable to kill him before the timer expires.. Even when opponent uses champs like cgr hulkling herc sunspot archangel. But whenever I face him on defense, I could easily wipe him out in a minute (I mostly use herc tigra sunspot or domino against him). I can understand he is tanky, but why do people lose to him? It's not like he has unavoidable damage,huge block penetration or tough to dex specials. Am I missing something? Why he's tough in defense? My kingpin is r4 unduped.

The big problem as others have mentioned is that if you push him to SP2 he goes unstoppable, and his AI can get very aggressive while unstoppable.

KP's unstoppable is a buff, however, so attackers that can eliminate that buff have an advantage against Kingpin. Tigra, for example, can prevent the unstoppable buff from triggering if he gets pushed to SP2, and without that unstoppable KP is far less problematic. Domino can crit fail the unstoppable sometimes, which can also help. Herc can taunt him into aggressively using SP1, making the threat of his AI holding power until SP2 less likely. Some match ups are just much better than others.
  • TendersquadTendersquad Member Posts: 198
    Is it due to the block penetration from prowess puncture? With Kingpin you can't really parry him, so I imagine most people take block damage until he throws a heavy and you punish. However with the increased block penetration, you lose a lot of health with that strategy.

Just a theory as most Kingpins I see almost always are used offensively.
  • obsidimanobsidiman Member Posts: 916 ★★★
    One thing not mentioned is that his rages count as debuffs. If the opponent runs willpower he heals pretty much constantly. And the tankiness and shrugging ability help too.
  • PikoluPikolu Member, Guardian Posts: 7,353 Guardian
    obsidiman said:

One thing not mentioned is that his rages count as debuffs. If the opponent runs willpower he heals pretty much constantly. And the tankiness and shrugging ability help too.

Fun fact, Jubilee's awakened ability deals damage to the opponent whenever they shrug a debuff. This includes every rage debuff KP shrugs when he goes into overpower 😉
  • Jack2634Jack2634 Member Posts: 909 ★★★
    He is not hard , but these 3 things that made him really annoying to play : He can shrug off your parry which makes it harder to find an opening . His debuffs gives him increased combat power rate , therefore you will lose more time baiting / watching his sp1 animation . And his sp2 can mess you up badly , and even if it does not , that god damn unstoppable will waste even more time
  • InsaneSkullInsaneSkull Member Posts: 327 ★★
    Pikolu said:

obsidiman said:

Fun fact, Jubilee's awakened ability deals damage to the opponent whenever they shrug a debuff. This includes every rage debuff KP shrugs when he goes into overpower 😉
    This shouldn't be told, let them get obliterated once by Jubilee to understand. :lol:
  • GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Member Posts: 36,488 ★★★★★
    I don't have much of a problem with him anymore. It's really a matter of AI that won't Bait that gets me. Personally, I like using AA. Once you get a few Neuro on him, it's just a matter of Bait the L1, Heavy, repeat.
  • MordMord Member Posts: 135 ★★
    I personally use him in defense to slow down some nukes that need to stick debuffs for damage, or to give a worse match up than mine. It is picked as a dual purpose, not a defender.
  • Shake_a_QuakeShake_a_Quake Member Posts: 462 ★★★
    Never faced a problem with KP, after i baited his SP1. You must be really lucky if you can Dex his SP2.....otherwise wait the fight out
  • AvnishAvnish Member Posts: 442 ★★★
    Kingpin is a decent defender but not that much hard. Valkyrie, Hulkling, hercules, massacre and some other good damage champion can kill him easily in under 60sec. I never faced any issue with kingpin.

Also Sp2 evade is not that hard. I always evade his sp2 But sometimes sp2 evade is tricky..