Potential Delay to v44.1 Launch

We are currently working through some issues that may affect the release window of v44.1. This means that the update may not release on Monday as it usually does. We are working to resolve the issue holding us up as quickly as possible, but will keep you all updated, especially if the delay results in any changes to the content release schedule.
Options

Does Microsoft Phone Link break TOS?

ErcarretErcarret Posts: 2,780 ★★★★★
I just linked my Windows 11 PC with my Android phone via Microsoft's Phone Link service that basically seem to allow you to do whatever you do on your phone, on your PC. I initially thought I was only casting what I was doing on my phone to my PC, so I booted up MCOC to see if I could view my gameplay on the big screen. However, when I went back to play, it said the game was busy being played on my PC. When I went back to my PC, I noticed that I could use my mouse in-game.

This seems really close to an emulator, and I know those break TOS and can get you banned. It even happened to me once, many years ago. Since then, I've been clean and out of trouble. However, this spooked me a bit. It's not a service that I plan on continuing with in regards to MCOC since it all felt very sluggish on my PC (and I don't know how I'd play it anyway), but it did get me thinking. Does this break TOS? I get it when we're talking about shady developers, but it would feel awkward if Microsoft got people banned.

I'd also like to know the rules in a wider context. I know Google launched a service a while back where I seem to recall that you could do basically the same thing. I never got that to work so I don't know if it works the same as this service from Microsoft, but I remember being curious about the rules regarding that.

Does anyone know?

Comments

• Options
    Ackbar67Ackbar67 Posts: 402 ★★★
    DISCLAIMER: I have no special insight into this, I just read the TOS and Kabam's communications. The safest play is to not use it unless you get confirmation from Kabam.

My guess is that Phone Link would be acceptable for mcoc. I haven't used it personally, but it appears that it is simply mirroring the phone and sending screen inputs from your PC. Unlike an emulator, all the actual processing is still happening on your phone, which eliminates most of the concerns with emulation. They definitely can say it is against TOS though. As they put it here:

"Using these sites or third-party software puts your personal and financial information at risk of being stolen. These actions are against our Terms of Service and may result in your account being permanently suspended. This includes the use of Emulators and Software that modifies gameplay".

Phone link definitely does not modify gameplay, but could technically fall under third-party software. Of course, third party software is constantly running on your phone, including the operating system itself, so whether or not they consider Phone Link a bannable offense is unclear. Since all the actual processing is still on your phone, detecting that such a software is used is likely pretty difficult anyway. I would think using Phone Link is allowed, but I personally wouldn't risk it unless you get official confirmation.
  • Options
    captain_rogerscaptain_rogers Posts: 4,137 ★★★★★
    Ercarret said:

I just linked my Windows 11 PC with my Android phone via Microsoft's Phone Link service that basically seem to allow you to do whatever you do on your phone, on your PC. I initially thought I was only casting what I was doing on my phone to my PC, so I booted up MCOC to see if I could view my gameplay on the big screen. However, when I went back to play, it said the game was busy being played on my PC. When I went back to my PC, I noticed that I could use my mouse in-game.

This seems really close to an emulator, and I know those break TOS and can get you banned. It even happened to me once, many years ago. Since then, I've been clean and out of trouble. However, this spooked me a bit. It's not a service that I plan on continuing with in regards to MCOC since it all felt very sluggish on my PC (and I don't know how I'd play it anyway), but it did get me thinking. Does this break TOS? I get it when we're talking about shady developers, but it would feel awkward if Microsoft got people banned.

I'd also like to know the rules in a wider context. I know Google launched a service a while back where I seem to recall that you could do basically the same thing. I never got that to work so I don't know if it works the same as this service from Microsoft, but I remember being curious about the rules regarding that.

Does anyone know?

It won't get you banned if don't try it again... But talking about it in forums may get you banned 🗿
  • Options
    DukenpukeDukenpuke Posts: 658 ★★★
    Ercarret said:

Does anyone know?

I remember reading a post a few years ago saying that MCOC is designed for and intended to be played on an android/ios phone or tablet using a touchscreen, and that if you're not playing on an android/ios phone or tablet with a touchscreen then you are breaking the rules.
  • Options
    ErcarretErcarret Posts: 2,780 ★★★★★

Ercarret said:

Does anyone know?

It won't get you banned if don't try it again... But talking about it in forums may get you banned 🗿
    If what I do in-game is not enough to get me banned, I'm not particularly worried when it comes to talking about it on the forum. Especially not when I do so in good faith.
  • Options
    2StarKing2StarKing Posts: 855 ★★★
    If you need to determine if your action is a TOS violation, then it probably is.

Basically this would probably be third party access to the game... which is a violation.