Emma Frost's heavy attack counts as power drain?

FantomaxopFantomaxop Member Posts: 134 ★★
Recently had bg match where i got into situation where i needed to use Emma Frost against Galan in victory track meta.
Since prowess counts as buff, i though that the best way for me to play would be to alternate between heavy and MLM and that way make the best control of fight.
But in beginning of the match something weird happened.
I parried, did heavy and expected Galan to receive less power as usually Emma does with her heavy.
What happened instead is weird: Galan did not only got power as from usual heavy, but also received 3 of his physical and energy resistance buffs as if immunity triggered!
I was shocked because it meant that not only i can't control power in this fight, but also can't control harvest effectively. And obviously fight ended with him blasting me with unblockable special to the face.
After closing the game and going back to AuntM.ai, i checked the description of Emma Frost's heavy attack and Galan's kit.

I want you to pay attention to wording: Galan is naturally immune to Fate Seal, nullify, power drain, burn, power lock and special lock effects. That is very specific immunities, and when i say specific i mean it. Galan is immune to nullify, yet you can still Stagger him and control buffs that way. He has a lot of power control immunities, but that doesn't mean that you can't interact with his power bar at all. Punisher 2099 still is capable of shutting down his combat power rate with his overdrive, because he isn't immune to LITERALLY every form of power control. Same goes for power steal.
And this is where we go to Emma's kit, and here wording goes: "opponents generate 80% less power from this attack".
I think i'm not only one who thought that it meant manipulation with combat power rate of this specific attack. Yet this is probably not how it works. Something about that heavy must be coded in way that triggers power drain at some point, or maybe split second power lock, or idk because it doesn't make any sense to me.
Maybe someone in comments will help me understand what's going on and it will end up like Neutralize vs Buff immunity conversation, where logical from coding perspective interaction ends up being frustrating and confusing for average player.

Btw i also did couple of duels against my Hulkling, and so far nothing triggers there. So it must be power lock/special lock trigger on her heavy, or nullify??? I have no clue what's going on but its confusing as hell

Comments

• MagrailothosMagrailothos Member Posts: 5,879 ★★★★★
    Just did a little test:

First, I'm seeing exactly what you're seeing with Emma. Two Heavy attacks, and Galan is pushed into a Harvest 😬

By contrast, Punisher-2099 (who reduces Combat Power Rating by 90%) works perfectly, and didn't trigger Galan's immunities. He's actually a very good option if you ever need to take down a Galan boss with a Tech champion for some kind of milestone or challenge.
  • MagrailothosMagrailothos Member Posts: 5,879 ★★★★★
    Thanks, @Pikolu

You couldn't get them to take a look at this issue with the Spidey-2099 relic, whilst you're at it?
    https://forums.playcontestofchampions.com/en/discussion/347513/bug-with-s2099-relic
  • captain_rogerscaptain_rogers Member Posts: 8,310 ★★★★★

Recently had bg match where i got into situation where i needed to use Emma Frost against Galan in victory track meta.
    Since prowess counts as buff, i though that the best way for me to play would be to alternate between heavy and MLM and that way make the best control of fight.
    But in beginning of the match something weird happened.
    I parried, did heavy and expected Galan to receive less power as usually Emma does with her heavy.
    What happened instead is weird: Galan did not only got power as from usual heavy, but also received 3 of his physical and energy resistance buffs as if immunity triggered!
    I was shocked because it meant that not only i can't control power in this fight, but also can't control harvest effectively. And obviously fight ended with him blasting me with unblockable special to the face.
    After closing the game and going back to AuntM.ai, i checked the description of Emma Frost's heavy attack and Galan's kit.

I want you to pay attention to wording: Galan is naturally immune to Fate Seal, nullify, power drain, burn, power lock and special lock effects. That is very specific immunities, and when i say specific i mean it. Galan is immune to nullify, yet you can still Stagger him and control buffs that way. He has a lot of power control immunities, but that doesn't mean that you can't interact with his power bar at all. Punisher 2099 still is capable of shutting down his combat power rate with his overdrive, because he isn't immune to LITERALLY every form of power control. Same goes for power steal.
    And this is where we go to Emma's kit, and here wording goes: "opponents generate 80% less power from this attack".
    I think i'm not only one who thought that it meant manipulation with combat power rate of this specific attack. Yet this is probably not how it works. Something about that heavy must be coded in way that triggers power drain at some point, or maybe split second power lock, or idk because it doesn't make any sense to me.
    Maybe someone in comments will help me understand what's going on and it will end up like Neutralize vs Buff immunity conversation, where logical from coding perspective interaction ends up being frustrating and confusing for average player.

Btw i also did couple of duels against my Hulkling, and so far nothing triggers there. So it must be power lock/special lock trigger on her heavy, or nullify??? I have no clue what's going on but its confusing as hell

Just some legacy code things😔
  • FantomaxopFantomaxop Member Posts: 134 ★★
    Pikolu said:

This looks like a bug to me. I brought it to the game team for them to look at.

After testing against Hulkling something tells me that it is no bug but simply a lack of clear wording from Kabam on how her heavy attack works.
    I don't think its too gamebreaking if she won't work against couple of matchups because of the way she is coded, but what's important is for everyone to be aware and to be able to actually foresee interaction like this without any "real-time beta testing". Even if she is left unchanged, description of her heavy should be changed