Adam warlock vs CGR

Milan1405Milan1405 Member Posts: 952 ★★★★
Hey guys, I was the one who posted the poll on whether to take adam warlock to r5. I was torn between him and cgr (both r4s) and tested them in labyrinth to see which to rank up. Here's a write up for those of you interested.

First of all Adam warlock and CGR are very high skill characters to get the best out of them. Both require solid understanding of the game mechanics, and importantly how to recover when a rotation gets screwed up. I would say I'm about a 7/10 at playing these characters. I know how to play them to a good standard but I do make occasional mistakes, and am still a way off the likes of Slayer of Gods. I used the man-thing synergy for cgr, adam warlock doesn't need any.

To start with I took them against Starlord and here are the results:

For CGR I used the sp3 cycle rotation where the opponent hardly gains much power and you have a high degree of control over the fight. This is useful as evade and getting hit doesn't really screw up the rotation and it's low risk. As you can see I only got 1 unlucky evade and got clapped, and starlord crit me for almost half my health! I did not use the higher damage rotations as they are more risky with the evade and stun but the 6x aptitude rotation would be far better if there was no damage cap, but I test that later on the easy path.

Adam warlock lowdown: Managed to recover a couple of times when the AI went weird and not lose my sovereignty counter, then recovered once when he evaded, but the other time was not able to and got hit and lost the counter. Then the other 2 times I got stunned in the stasis pod (absolutely idiotic design, he should be debuff immune in the pod) and then got comboed and obviously lost my counter. Overall was impressed how he performed, was not expecting him to handle the evade so well, and actually was okay against the AI being annoying, but OH MY GOD GETTING STUNNED IN THE POD IS RIDICULOUS!!

Next, I ran CGR through the easy path.

I used different rotations (aptitude and the normal sp3 then sp2) and both produced very similar results.

CGR also minced these fights easily with the aptitude rotation, got hit against ms marvel but cgr was able to recover the rotation fine.

Adam warlock was around a minute slower each fight. I then tried to use him in abyss and he is ABSOLUTELY UNUSABLE! Got stunned every damn time and comboed into oblivion, literally impossible to do anything. Kabam not making him stun immune in his pod is a massive mistake.

Overall: In the average fight I think cgr is a bit quicker than adam and also has more 'raw' utility, though I do really like some of Adam's niche uses. But let's talk about their non-ideal matchups. I think Adam warlock certainly has more unfavourable matchups than CGR, he can't do biohazard, caltrops, disstrack, dismay and a ton of other nodes that cgr can take, and this translates into more champs he is unable to take as well. However, I was very impressed how well he performed against evade opponents. If you're paying attention you can actually recover a lot of the time and keep your counter going. Adam warlock sounds pretty good then, that is until you compare him to a champion like Nick Fury, who can also be unblockable, as well as shut down evade and miss, does more damage and can go stun immune and shrug off debuffs, as well as have a second life. CGR on the other hand is a damage king and faster in standard matchups in battlegrounds and questing. Now onto CGR, he doesnt cope well against debuff immune or evade nodes/champions and can get autoblocked and suffers greatly when nodes mess with his specials as he doesn't have any passive power gain, however overall I think he is the better champion.

My personal opinion: For me it's a bit more complicated than that. I would rate myself as a 8.5/10 adam warlock player but only 7/10 at CGR. So even though CGR is better and probably mostly easier to play, for some reason adam warlock just 'clicked' with my playstyle and I find him to be slightly more fun to play, although that may just be the novelty. Adam also has more defensive value than CGR which is something I consider, though it is far from the most important thing I think about before ranking up a champion. I really do like adam but he is very reliant on his taunt. It is amazing but he is also useless in any matchup where he can't use it.

Apologies for all this waffle, but TLDR: CGR comes out on top here, however I am still undecided on who my rankup gem goes to. They both perform well in EOP and I would rank 5 adam warlock in a heartbeat if his taunt was passive and he was stun/debuff immune in his pod but sadly Kabam in their infinite wisdom have decided not to balance him and change any of that. I'm going to keep playing around with the champions at r4 and go out of my way to draft them in bgs to come up with some more data, but in the meantime I would love to hear your guys input on who to r5 (Herc, galan and hulkling are already r5). Thanks in advance!

Comments

• FrostGiantLordFrostGiantLord Member Posts: 1,954 ★★★★
    I would go with CGR. Adam's abilities are just too RNG based.
  • LitingspeedLitingspeed Member Posts: 6
    Go with badboy CGR
  • ahmynutsahmynuts Member Posts: 7,283 ★★★★★
    CGR definitely
  • Darkraw346Darkraw346 Member Posts: 2,335 ★★★★★
    How is that a debate?
  • AxewAxew Member Posts: 620 ★★★★
    edited September 2023
    Not having stun immunity in the pod is such a massive oversight, it turns an ability that is supposed to protect him into a detriment.

And the taunt being a debuff completely neuters him against shrug off battles. These changes wouldn’t even make him OP, just reliable across matches.