Trading gold for loyalty? [MERGED THREADS - TYPO IN MESSAGE]

Comments

• SnurrisSnurris Member Posts: 434 ★★★
    Been looking for it as well. Don’t know what I’m missing.
  • HungaryHippoHungaryHippo Member Posts: 914 ★★★★
    Vance2_jr said:

DNA3000 said:

As if more things couldn't go wrong with this event. That is a Typo, and should have said "you can trade your units for loyalty", as seen in the store right now.

There are no amount of apologies I can give for this oversight that will alleviate the confusion or the frustration over this, but I am deeply sorry about this.

Just FYI, a typo is a small error/ misspelled word. This is a HUGE error and wrong choice of words, which is misleading.
    Typos are not distinguished by the size of the error. If the writer intended to type X but they actually type Y, that's a typo. A typo can change a single letter in a word, or it can turn $199.99 to $19999.99 with a stuck keyboard, which would be a pretty big error but is still a typo.

I don't think it really serves any useful purpose to nit pick the definition of typo here, when the obvious intent is to state that the written text is in error by accident and not intent. Colloquially, many people call those typos, although they are really just errors (editorially, I would call this a misstatement). It doesn't really change anything. Regardless, the damage is the same, and such errors shouldn't happen, even if it was a typo.
    Having been an editor, this isn’t a typo. A typo is something like “you can dhange your gold” or “you can change you golld”. It was incorrect information that materially changed the sentence. It should have been spotted and corrected before it went live. It’s sloppy, amateur and kind of alarming. Someone was asleep at the wheel.
    Given how all edited material is chock full of mistakes, pretty sure Kabam is allowed to make them too.

Everyone here acting like they make no mistakes in their jobs.
  • GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Member Posts: 36,504 ★★★★★
    Well here in Canada, I'm afraid public floggings are banned.
  • TerminatrixTerminatrix Member Posts: 2,766 ★★★★★

Manup456 said:

Come on guys everyone knows you can mistakenly spell gold trying to spell units 😂

Manup456 said:

Come on guys everyone knows you can mistakenly spell gold trying to spell units 😂

It probably autocorrected in their phone lol. You know, like "duck."

Uni... "did you mean GOLD?"
    Exactly

Lmfaoooo
  • peixemacacopeixemacaco Member Posts: 2,407 ★★★★

As if more things couldn't go wrong with this event. That is a Typo, and should have said "you can trade your units for loyalty", as seen in the store right now.

There are no amount of apologies I can give for this oversight that will alleviate the confusion or the frustration over this, but I am deeply sorry about this.

It's ok! A minimal error when typing the message.

About the event, as even you think it's bad, just do again past sales/promotions/events that was quite good and everything will be fine.

Thanks for this great fun game.
  • DemonzfyreDemonzfyre Member Posts: 21,821 ★★★★★
    Vance2_jr said:

Vance2_jr said:

DNA3000 said:

Just FYI, a typo is a small error/ misspelled word. This is a HUGE error and wrong choice of words, which is misleading.
    Typos are not distinguished by the size of the error. If the writer intended to type X but they actually type Y, that's a typo. A typo can change a single letter in a word, or it can turn $199.99 to $19999.99 with a stuck keyboard, which would be a pretty big error but is still a typo.

I don't think it really serves any useful purpose to nit pick the definition of typo here, when the obvious intent is to state that the written text is in error by accident and not intent. Colloquially, many people call those typos, although they are really just errors (editorially, I would call this a misstatement). It doesn't really change anything. Regardless, the damage is the same, and such errors shouldn't happen, even if it was a typo.
    Having been an editor, this isn’t a typo. A typo is something like “you can dhange your gold” or “you can change you golld”. It was incorrect information that materially changed the sentence. It should have been spotted and corrected before it went live. It’s sloppy, amateur and kind of alarming. Someone was asleep at the wheel.
    Given how all edited material is chock full of mistakes, pretty sure Kabam is allowed to make them too.

I’d get fired from my job if I made mistakes like that. Words matter. Giving a pass on declining standards because everyone is doing it is the very reason everyone is doing it.
    No you wouldn't. Everyone says this and it's just not true. It's why retractions are a thing.

Vance2_jr said:

Vance2_jr said:

DNA3000 said:

I’d get fired from my job if I made mistakes like that. Words matter. Giving a pass on declining standards because everyone is doing it is the very reason everyone is doing it.
    100% this. Allowing mediocrity is just another symptom of the participation trophy society we have become. They only way to get better is to be held accountable for mistakes. Not sweep them under the rug.
    Except no one is sweeping anything under the rug and Kabams ToS literally says there isn't any accountability that needs to happen.

It's a damn mobile video game and you're acting like there's real life consequences happening here. Relax a bit. Jesus.
    Vance2_jr said:

Vance2_jr said:

Vance2_jr said:

DNA3000 said:

No you wouldn't. Everyone says this and it's just not true. It's why retractions are a thing.
    Yeah. I would. I deal in words for a living. It’s exactly what I get paid for and I’ve seen people get canned for screwing up. I appreciate you jumping in to try to disrupt the flow though. I wouldn’t expect anything less from you. Now move along.
    You could eventually get fired for many, many repeat offenses. You act like none of us have ever read misspellings or anything like that in our lives.

I'm sure you've made mistakes but I don't know any company out there that fires anyone for one mistake, let alone a handful. I can see it happening in the medical field where it could mean life or death. But at that point, you're going to prison as well.

We're also talking about a mobile game. We're not talking about real life. It didn't cost you anything. It didn't hurt you either.
  • Darkness275Darkness275 Member Posts: 849 ★★★★

We're also talking about a mobile game. We're not talking about real life. It didn't cost you anything. It didn't hurt you either.

Not trying to stoke the fire or anything, but this isn't a defense. We don't get to determine how it impacts someone else. That's actually pretty dismissive and condescending.

Now, I don't think you were intentionally malicious in this. But the fact stands.
    Also, it was pretty text-book false advertisement.

Yes, they owned it right away. They apologized and they even did a recall on the in game mail.
    I commend them for all of that. I respect them for all of that.

But this is not an isolated incident either. They can apologize and acknowledge player frustration. But those words are becoming more empty with each recurrence of these "innocent mistakes."

They add up. They have been adding up. And just as your own post just stated, repeat offenses compound the issue.
    This wasn't an isolated incident. It may also very well be just "a mobile game", but that doesn't mean it's nothing. It may not impact you or I, but we don't get to decide how other people are impacted by it.

Not trying to stoke the fire or anything, but this isn't a defense. We don't get to determine how it impacts someone else. That's actually pretty dismissive and condescending.

Now, I don't think you were intentionally malicious in this. But the fact stands.

Yes, they owned it right away. They apologized and they even did a recall on the in game mail.

But this is not an isolated incident either. They can apologize and acknowledge player frustration. But those words are becoming more empty with each recurrence of these "innocent mistakes."

They add up. They have been adding up. And just as your own post just stated, repeat offenses compound the issue.
    This wasn't an isolated incident. It may also very well be just "a mobile game", but that doesn't mean it's nothing. It may not impact you or I, but we don't get to decide how other people are impacted by it.
    False advertisement is purposely misleading your customers to get them to come in. Much like bait and switch. This isn't false advertisement.
  • Darkness275Darkness275 Member Posts: 849 ★★★★

False advertisement is purposely misleading your customers to get them to come in. Much like bait and switch. This isn't false advertisement.

The mail indicated that people could trade gold for loyalty.
    That alone got people to "visit" the store. Whether or not it got them to buy anything is irrelevant.

Now, as to whether or not it was a purposeful act. Clearly this thread shows that some people aren't willing to agree to this being an honest mistake. If you believe Kabam, then this wasn't intentional, so it's not technically false advertisement because it wasn't "purposely" misleading.

That's not a very steady defense either. That's a "Well, look at this silver lining! Yes, it misled people, but it wasn't intentional!!!" Once again, not an isolated incident. That defense is becoming less and less meaningful.
  • BringPopcornBringPopcorn Member Posts: 4,573 ★★★★★
    I like how some people are making such a big fuzz over a mistake that mislead them for a few mins.
    Just for their own security, if you receve a phone call from Steven Robinson from Microsoft for a refund, its a SCAM.
  • ahmynutsahmynuts Member Posts: 7,294 ★★★★★

I like how some people are making such a big fuzz over a mistake that mislead them for a few mins.
    Just for their own security, if you receve a phone call from Steven Robinson from Microsoft for a refund, its a SCAM.

So you're telling me that the nigerian prince that emailed me, needing my help was a scammer?
  • BringPopcornBringPopcorn Member Posts: 4,573 ★★★★★
    ahmynuts said:

So you're telling me that the nigerian prince that emailed me, needing my help was a scammer?
    No that one is real, you need to send me money so I can pay the paper work, get my inheritance and then I will pay you your share.
  • DanielRandDanielRand Member Posts: 460 ★★★★

It’s not false advertising but it deserves accountability. If I’m shopping and someone forgot to take down last weeks sale on an item, if I ask them to honor the sale price I can’t remember a single time the store hasn’t complied. Then they take the sign down and move on. Would be a good stately for Kabam to adopt.
  • kraioszerokraioszero Member Posts: 148
    edited October 2023
    It's is not just typo issues.. It is also translation issues...

Tons of times it has misleading players on inbox content, description, nodes mechanics and references, and the only thing they can add for inbox is a "sorry if translation errors were made but it was automatic translation so the message could reach most players as soon as possible" or something like that..

So even at that point the wrong message reaches as much players as it can
  • Rohit_316Rohit_316 Member Posts: 3,415 ★★★★★
    Pretty sure you all will not learn from your mistakes and do the same thing again to piss off the player base . Time and time again , each and every month is full of bugs .

I can already sense how toxic working at Kabam be that sometimes their engineers do things deliberately to make Kabam lose money . I can't believe that these mistakes happens each and every month where the experience gets impacted by bugs . Some group of people are 100% there inside their company who screwes up things because of the toxicity in that organisation.
  • DrZolaDrZola Member Posts: 8,966 ★★★★★

Vance2_jr said:

Vance2_jr said:

DNA3000 said:

100% this. Allowing mediocrity is just another symptom of the participation trophy society we have become. They only way to get better is to be held accountable for mistakes. Not sweep them under the rug.
    Good thing they proofread the code more closely than in game messages.

Dr. Zola