**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.
Options

What decides who picks the first defender in battle grounds?

OmedennOmedenn Posts: 867 ★★★
Is this random? 9/10 times if not 10/10 I have to pick my defender first. I’d rather pick second as that gives me a slightly better chance in winning.

But (almost) every time I have to put my defender first. Is this just being unlucky?

Comments

• Options
    I think it is whoever waited in the queue longer picks first
  • Options
    @Pikolu alright, somehow that’s always me than 😅
  • Options
    Emilia90Emilia90 Posts: 1,816 ★★★★★
    Pikolu said:

Just have to keep my queues at 1 second then
  • Options
    TerminatrixTerminatrix Posts: 1,249 ★★★★
    Omedenn said:

Is this random? 9/10 times if not 10/10 I have to pick my defender first. I’d rather pick second as that gives me a slightly better chance in winning.

But (almost) every time I have to put my defender first. Is this just being unlucky?

I "LOL"'d because this is EXACTLY what happens to me. I always go first, no matter how fast I picked a champ or whatever other method I tried to use, I STILL went first. It gets frustrating! I like to go second so I strategize better.

And it seemed like no matter what, the game gave the opponent a class advantage counter option to the champs I drafted entirely too often, but would rarely give me class advantage counters for the champs they draft, and I have the classes in my deck. Smh.
  • Options
    Giantwalrus56Giantwalrus56 Posts: 633 ★★★
    Pikolu said:

Forgive the naivete, but is there any real truth to this? Wish we had some clarification. Cause I'm always picking 1st & placing 1st. Or at least it feels that way. It'd be nice if pick 1st got to place 2nd
  • Options
    KØNGKØNG Posts: 36

Pikolu said:

Forgive the naivete, but is there any real truth to this? Wish we had some clarification. Cause I'm always picking 1st & placing 1st. Or at least it feels that way. It'd be nice if pick 1st got to place 2nd
    There’s probably no real “truth” to it? Not to bring up the dreaded RNG, but pretty sure it’s RNG. 8 outta 10, I pick first. Could also be a matter of who plays BG more?
  • Options
    Giantwalrus56Giantwalrus56 Posts: 633 ★★★
    KØNG said:

Pikolu said:

There’s probably no real “truth” to it? Not to bring up the dreaded RNG, but pretty sure it’s RNG. 8 outta 10, I pick first. Could also be a matter of who plays BG more?

I figured it came down to RNG, but holy F, RNGeezus must be trying to punish me for some sins
  • Options
    TerminatrixTerminatrix Posts: 1,249 ★★★★
    Pikolu said:

What queue?
  • Options
    I have kept record of the last 35 matches I played

34 I had to start placing defense first. I don’t believe it is RNG, probably something that triggers it.
  • Options
    StatureStature Posts: 423 ★★★
    Pikolu said:

What queue are you referring to? If you mean the time taken to find an opponent, I don't think that is true. I've always picked 1st this season whether I had to wait 10 seconds or 40 to find a match. Neither does energy or EM make a difference.

To whoever referred RNG, multiple people with 30-40-50 games in a row picking first is an infinitesimally small possibility given the number of active players in the mode. Even one player getting this is a very probability event.
  • Options
    SirGamesBondSirGamesBond Posts: 4,220 ★★★★★

R

N

G
    Opened it down up....

Sweet child
  • Options
    Stature said:

Pikolu said:

What queue are you referring to? If you mean the time taken to find an opponent, I don't think that is true. I've always picked 1st this season whether I had to wait 10 seconds or 40 to find a match. Neither does energy or EM make a difference.

To whoever referred RNG, multiple people with 30-40-50 games in a row picking first is an infinitesimally small possibility given the number of active players in the mode. Even one player getting this is a very probability event.
    I typically pick second when my matchmaking time is 0-1 seconds.
  • Options
    StatureStature Posts: 423 ★★★
    Pikolu said:

Stature said:

Pikolu said:

It's possible I haven't get a match that quick yet. So the best option is to decline matches till we get an instant match? Feels like this will lead to a ban down the line.
  • Options
    Stature said:

Pikolu said:

Stature said:

Pikolu said:

It's possible I haven't get a match that quick yet. So the best option is to decline matches till we get an instant match? Feels like this will lead to a ban down the line.
    You don't decline matches, you just cancel the queue and restart. If it doesn't work then you can throw that theory out the window and just accept your fate
  • Options
    WinterFieldsWinterFields Posts: 681 ★★★★
    Pikolu said:

Stature said:

Pikolu said:

I've noticed if I wait until the timer just about runs out, I have a higher chance of picking second
  • Options
    Just tried it, doesn’t work with me. That’s why I am pretty sure there is something else. Played now 42, 41 I started the placement
  • Options
    jdschwjdschw Posts: 191 ★★
    edited November 2023
    I also have to pick first nearly every time this season. I don't know the exact numbers, but since I started checking, I have played dozens of matches and picked first every time.

It's not RNG. Flip a coin 12 times and see if you get zero heads.The chances of that are literally 1 in 4096. Do it 12 more times and your chances of getting zero heads shrinks to 1 in 16 million. It's not RNG.