Mobile Carrier: T-Mobile
Cell or Wifi: Both
Game Version: 41.2.0
Game Mode: Battlegrounds
Champions Affected: All
Active Boosts: None
Screenshot/Video: N/A

Description:

I've been playing more battlegrounds lately and it felt like I was always picking first when it came time to select champs. Picking first results in a slight disadvantage since all the opponents picks can be made in response to yours. I wanted to test this, so I started taking note of when I selected for each BG match that I played.

I played the first 50 games using energy. I selected first 49 of 50 matches with the lone second selection being in match 49. I used the binomial distribution function in Excel to determine that the chances of selecting second a single time out of 50 matches is about 1 in 22 trillion (assuming the game randomly selects who chooses first).

I then played 25 matches using Elder's Marks. I selected first in 22 of the 25 matches with the second selections coming in matches 9, 14, and 21. I used the same Excel function to determine the chances of selecting second 3 times out of 25 matches to be 1 in 12,778 (assuming the game randomly selects who chooses first).

I continued playing using both energy and Elder's Marks. I played a total of 131 matches (88 with energy and 43 with Elder's Marks). I selected first in 125 of the 131 matches. The probability of selecting second 6 times out of 131 matches is 1 in 1.45E+29 (assuming the game randomly selects who chooses first).

I believe this confirms that the game is not randomly choosing who selects first in BG matches. I watched some streamers and they had far more matches where they chose second.

This is becoming very distressing. I am trying my best to advance in BG, but I feel like I'm always at a disadvantage. Could you please comment on whether or not the matches are supposed to be random or if there is another mechanic dictating who chooses when? I would be very very grateful.

Comments

• Options
    jdschwjdschw Posts: 211 ★★
    I have the same problem. It only seems to have started this season. I pick first nearly every single match. Since I noticed this, I have played dozens of matches and literally not had a single case where I picked second.

Picking first is a large disadvantage because you have to choose your defender first in the 3rd match. This is a huge difference maker, because the selection of a defender may force you to give up a counter to one of their champs, and likewise, selecting a defender frees up one of the opponent's champs to be a defender, since they know which counter they need and which one you can't counter.

This would not be a huge deal if I picked first roughly half the time. Sure, it's a disadvantage, but statistically, it will even out over time. But if some of us are always (or nearly always) selected to pick first, then this disadvantage really stacks up.
  • Options
    iDestroyerZiDestroyerZ Posts: 687 ★★★★
    I know it's all rng but lately, i'm not exaggerating at all....80% of my matches i selected first, i don't know if it's a bug or something but definately feels the disadvantage
  • Options
    ZmanD90ZmanD90 Posts: 30

I know it's all rng but lately, i'm not exaggerating at all....80% of my matches i selected first, i don't know if it's a bug or something but definately feels the disadvantage

There are some other threads where we have proven that it's not RNG at this point. Something is not working as intended for a lot of players. The probabilities we are seeing are vastly outside the realm of possibility. I've never heard of anything having a probability of 1 in an octillion. That's why we want Kabam to make a statement or acknowledge that something isn't working right.
  • Options
    Rudolph_RaindeerRudolph_Raindeer Posts: 279 ★★★
    edited November 2023
    I find this Strange. I am i the same situaiton as you. I always select first. I also made “statistics”. But that means someone else ‘never’ select first. Maybe they dont notice 🤷🏼‍♂️

I know it is rng and seen from an overall perspective it events out, but just very annoying to be in the ‘select first’ group.
  • Options
    goguvlad616goguvlad616 Posts: 12

I find this Strange. I am i the same situaiton as you. I always select first. I also made “statistics”. But that means someone else ‘never’ select first. Maybe they dont notice 🤷🏼‍♂️

I know it is rng and seen from an overall perspective it events out, but just very annoying to be in the ‘select first’ group.

By now is not RNG anymore, if it was only me or you, let's say that we are the most unlucky players in the game but from what i saw in this post and the one i made "BG matchmaking - randomness of first picking?" we are at least 2 dozen players in this situation and Kabam is not answering @Kabam Miike
  • Options
    MasterAKUMAMasterAKUMA Posts: 26
    Same problem with me.
    Another funny part is that picking first comes with choosing defense first in game 1 and game 3, which is a huge disadvantage. Also, picking first is much more difficult to get more counters in the entire draft imo. So I wonder why many people and Kabam still have a good feeling about current bgs in terms of fairness.
  • Options
    RekamRekam Posts: 16
    I have the same problem almost 78 fights i chose first, i only played 80 btw
  • Options
    MasterAKUMAMasterAKUMA Posts: 26

Same problem with me.
    Another funny part is that picking first comes with choosing defense first in game 1 and game 3, which is a huge disadvantage. Also, picking first is much more difficult to get more counters in the entire draft imo. So I wonder why many people and Kabam still have a good feeling about current bgs in terms of fairness.

So basically, picking second in BGs has no obvious drawbacks, while picking first comes with numerous disadvantages. That's the problem.
  • Options
    BignosBignos Posts: 7
    Several in my alliance are also experiencing this issue. I sent several messages and evidence to Kabam Support. Different customer service reps just keep saying the same thing. That selection is random
  • Options
    Yes finally someone said this. I never really noticed this before but for this season it is absolutely true. I went from diamond 2 to GC and only got to pick second twice. All other rounds started with me picking. It's such a big disadvantage if the game goes to round three and opponent knows how to trap you.
  • Options
    THUNDERBILTHUNDERBIL Posts: 267
    I'm stuck at V3 because of this reason. Moreover the Parry and Dex issues have caused me so many matches that I cannot even mention here. I'm constantly on a losing streak. Plus the RNG is so messed up, whenever I try to use RNG champions like AA, etc. I suffer just to get a decent amount of debuffs on the opponent to do some damage.
  • Options
    laserjohn26laserjohn26 Posts: 1,523 ★★★★★
    Lol. So according to this thread 99% of the time everyone who plays this game picks 1st. I admittedly don't have a doctoral degree in math but the numbers seems a little funny.
  • Options
    How is this possible? I have had the exact same experience. About 80% of the time I alway have to place my defender first. Why is it that no one is going second? It would make a lot more sense if players had a 50/50 ratio. There is clearly something wrong on Kabam’s part. I’m not sure who is going second. How has no one come here claiming to have gone second 90% of the time. There needs to be a balancing check to bgs where it isn’t an auto loss going first. The disadvantage is huge.
  • Options
    I have he’s several matches I could have won if I had gotten to choose second.
  • Options
    CrcrcrcCrcrcrc Posts: 7,942 ★★★★★
    I have gotten to choose second nearly every single match I’ve played this season. I think it may have something to do with prestige/total rating because mine is significantly lower than most players in diamond and vibranium
  • Options
    PeregrinusPeregrinus Posts: 46
    edited November 2023
    Same problem with me. I created a ticket last week. A few times I got the answer that it was "random" and finally I asked to be able to start second 30+ rounds in a row too.

Your request "BGs draft" (Ticket #522539) has been updated.

"Hello Summoner,

Thank you for contacting Kabam Support.

I read your ticket, and I understand that you are providing feedback about changing the first to pick Defenders in Battlegrounds and requesting to be the second to pick defenders in 30+ Battlegrounds rounds in a row. I have shared your feedback with The Contest team, and thank you for taking the time to share your ideas! We really appreciate it when players share feedback with us to help make the game better!..."
  • Options
    I had the same problem, this season in about 90 matches, i only picked second 3 times. support team is useless, giving generic answers and says to post this problem in forums. Are several post with this issue and no one from Kabam is reacting in anyway. but @Kabam Miike has the time to answer stupid post but not this quite serious problem. @Kabam Miike @Kabam Zibiit @Kabam Porthos @Kabam Vydious @Kabam Lyra can we have a feedback? the season is almost over and we signal this problem from week 1
  • Options

Lol. So according to this thread 99% of the time everyone who plays this game picks 1st. I admittedly don't have a doctoral degree in math but the numbers seems a little funny.

There are more then 100k players in BG and only 40-50 people have reported this problem. so your math is really bad don't try to be a smartass, because the smart part doesn't apply to you.
  • Options
    Have the same problem cause always selecting 1st gives me disadvantage on a plan that I made if the selection goes other way around