It was at this moment he knew... (longish read)

CorkscrewCorkscrew Member Posts: 540 ★★★
Here is a cautionary tale not to do Necropolis on a whim.

I've already done exploration on my main account. Had some free time and some expiring pots - figured I would do completion on the alt account to cash in on those Road to Crypt rewards.

Watched a few necro fights to feel out if the "easy" path was still the right option for the alt roster. Saw Wong's name bob up a few times... I have a Wong; I'll rank him up. Wong is supposed to take Aarkus, Airwalker and Nova.

The team was (no 'cides - not unlocked):
Aegon 6r4
Wong 6r3
Proxima
Heimdall
Nick Fury

Titania ramp went about as good as expected. Went into the Aarkus fight with a high combo but decided to take Wong. Lost Wong really fast... Ok - so let's just finish Aegon ramp. Omega came and went.

Airwalker - tried Wong again. Barely tickled Airwalker, wow turns out I really don't know anything about Wong at all. Brute force Aegon, the AI was actually really cooperative. Specials flowing pretty freely when I baited. In general, I found on this run, the AI would often be holding the SP3 and Aegon could keep smashing in the corner. I could often get two SP3s of my own back-to-back.

On to Cap Britain, done this fight already a couple times with Aegon, didn't find the reverse controls too bad...
Didn't find the reverse controls too bad...
Didn't find the reverse controls too bad...
Didn't find the reverse controls too bad... echoed.

Hmmm - I have no counter for phase 4 of the GM fight.... and this was that moment.

Do I cut my losses and back out and restart, I'm in deep already, surely it will be ok?! Right?!

Ok - so power through and fast forward to GM fight... end of phase 3!
I want to enter the phase with a bar of power, so I can knock out sp1 straight away.

Into phase 4, I have the sp1 ready, dex, dex, wait that's not dex, bam take a hit, trigger immortality, panic, fire off sp1, get killed.
Sp1 successfully completed.

Hmmm, how am I going to get two bars of power without dying? I'm going to have to train my brain. Pop a 40% to feel out the controls, wow, every time... every single time you do anything it flips back and forth! I die without doing anything.

Gonna fully heal and slow play it. It's going ok, taking some hits into block and getting some of my own in, but switching back and forth with reverse controls. Slowly working to two bars. Held block too long - take a big heavy that wipes out all my health, immortality triggers, it gives me two bars, panic fire off sp2, get killed.
Sp2 successfully completed.

Three bars... three bars of power. How to get three bars of power...

Let's do this differently, I'm not going to do any swipes.
When I'm attacking, just spamming light. I'm getting power, if I take the hit, I'm unstoppable, barely take any damage and then light intercepting him and continuing a combo.

He has a bar of power... I'm just going to hold block. Block, take a hit, Block. I pick-up a token.

Spam light.

He has a bar of power... I'm just going to hold block. Block, dex, Block. I pick-up a token. RNG gods on my side.

Spam light.

I have three bars of power! Fire off the sp3.
Sp3 successfully completed and KO!

There was more relief in this completion than my initial run and even my exploration.

TDLR: Bring a reverse control immune.

Comments

• ahmynutsahmynuts Member Posts: 7,294 ★★★★★
    Thank you for your service
  • captain_rogerscaptain_rogers Member Posts: 8,245 ★★★★★
    It is extremely deadly not to bring a reverse control immune champ for final phase.
    I spent zero revived on that run thanks to wiccan. (My ally mates spent 16 revs on that phase alone)
  • CorkscrewCorkscrew Member Posts: 540 ★★★
    PT_99 said:

How did you 100% necro but forgot to bring reverse control in secondary account 🤣

Like I said, don't do it on a whim. I took Wiccan every time on the main. It was partly because I was thinking about how to reduce the load on Aegon because he's r4 unascended. My distraction to that purpose meant I forgot about the reverse controls.

So, cost me 3 revives and some health pots on phase 4.

• AshacekarAshacekar Member Posts: 2,003 ★★★★
    edited December 2023
    A video or gif would have been good. Tough to read and create that in imagination.