Options

What determines position and distance after an sp3?

o_oo_o Posts: 834 ★★★★
The other day I launched an sp3 and after the animation I found myself unexpectedly right in front of the defender. I got combo'd into oblivion. Using a different champion in the same fight, after the sp3 my attacker was not only far away but also on a totally different part of the screen. I started to wonder what factors are involved and thought i'd do some testing.

I took a bunch of champs into RoL to toss sp3s at Winter Soldier. In all cases I launched the sp3 while my attacker was in the far left corner with their back against the wall. After the sp3 animation, i didn't touch the screen until WS was up and moving. I took screenshots of the moment play resumes and the moment WS gets up, just right before he makes his next move.

I found a ton of variation across three areas.

Position on the screen: the attacker might be at the midpoint of the arena screen, the far corner, about halfway to the corner.

Distance from the defender: some were quite far; some were practically standing over WS.

Movement: some attackers stand still until after WS is up; some start moving immediately. For those who move, distance varies.

Some examples:

Herc: near the far corner, lots of distance, starts moving

Mr Fantastic: about 3/4 of the way across, lots of distance, stands still

Abs Man: midpoint of the arena, very close to the defender, not moving

Tigra: midpoint, somewhat far, but moving and covering a lot of ground

Sauron: midpoint, close, moves a bit closer

So far it looks like it's champ-specific, though I obviously can't say for sure. This is just idle curiosity on my part... if anyone has any insight or theories, please feel free to chime in :)

Comments

• Options
    TerraTerra Posts: 8,041 ★★★★★
    edited January 6

I am sure there is some champion's bio, don't know which, it explicitly says the opponent will be cornered at the end of sp3.

Also, I always wondered why kate sp3 didn't corner the opponent, I'm sure it was intentional to reduce her high effectiveness.
    In necropolis I mostly won't use kate sp3 as it ruins her rotation by getting the opponent again to the center.

Nvm.
  • Options

I am sure there is some champion's bio, don't know which, it explicitly says the opponent will be cornered at the end of sp3.

Also, I always wondered why kate sp3 didn't corner the opponent, I'm sure it was intentional to reduce her high effectiveness.
    In necropolis I mostly won't use kate sp3 as it ruins her rotation by getting the opponent again to the center.

Yeah that’s interesting. I used to think of the combination Herc shows above (corner the defender at a distance and start moving towards them) as the most common one, but among the champs I tested there was no pattern that I could see:

• Options
    PikoluPikolu Posts: 6,782 Guardian
    Good thing you haven't tried onslaughts sp3, it corners you. Also Lady Deathstrike ends her sp3 close enough for the opponent to use a light attack and hit her, so you have to dex from the right side of the screen or else you'll trigger a blocked hit on your dex and lose your ferocity 🙃
  • Options
    Pikolu said:

Good thing you haven't tried onslaughts sp3, it corners you. Also Lady Deathstrike ends her sp3 close enough for the opponent to use a light attack and hit her, so you have to dex from the right side of the screen or else you'll trigger a blocked hit on your dex and lose your ferocity 🙃

Dang
  • Options

It’s their placement at the end of their sp3 animation that determines where they end up after it’s used

🤯
    Thanks!!
  • Options
    JAYIRIJAYIRI Posts: 124
    The placement they end the sp3 in determines where they continue in
    In hercs sp3 the final hit hits the opponent very far from him and creates a big distance
    Same with silk her last hit places the opponent at the end but there's a noticeable distance in space between them.
    TL;DR
    If the opponent isn't at the wall in the final his of the sp3 then they won't be cornered.
  • Options
    OrtounOrtoun Posts: 574 ★★★
    Rintrah specifies in his SP3 description that it corners the opponent