One way to encourage participation in Battlegrounds (without messing with the competition)

13»

Comments

• Suros_moonSuros_moon Member Posts: 474 ★★★
    I believe the reason most players in the late stage opt out isn’t because they cant push highly enough easily enough. Its that the sum total of those rewards is simply not enticing for almost any reasonable amount of effort. As a valiant, having increments of 1k 6 star shards gives me literally no reason to care about the solo event milestone wise. For the ranked rewards to matter, I would need to place in the 1k bracket at least and that barely fits the bill. However, and Im guessing here, most of the top 1000 are paragon+ anyways so those slots are already accounted for in our case regardless of this split. You would be adding another 1000 UC to the pie but frankly that calculus probably isn’t going to be very different for them. There is just no world where I would actively engage with content for weeks to be payed out an extra 2 6 stars and a tenth of a 7 star. I think the boring, but straightforward answer is that BG rewards have to be kept in pace with increasing roster demands. 6 star shards shouldn’t be in the Valiant milestones, or ranked rewards. 7 star progression material has to be more accessible in the solo event, otherwise hitting GC along with collecting the season start bonus is all BGs will ever be for most players
  • RapRap Member Posts: 3,222 ★★★★
    Someone suggest star levels. Having a bg season where only 2 and 3 stars can play.
    Something along those lines. I think it is brilliance! What better way to level the playing field and take it back to skill.
    Some of those at the top might have to work to stay there.
  • DNA3000DNA3000 Member, Guardian Posts: 19,387 Guardian
    Rap said:

What better way to level the playing field and take it back to skill.

I've always found that perspective to be an interesting one. "Level the playing field" equals "give players with more twitch skills, more knowledge, and more experience the advantage."

Why is having more twitch skill a level playing field, having more knowledge a level playing field, having more experience a level playing field, but having a larger roster is an unfair advantage that needs to be mitigated? How do you justify that otherwise arbitrary decision without resorting to "it should be."

We used to have deck based matching, where players were matched against other players having similar deck strength. Under those rules, even counting people using deck manipulation tricks, I was averaging a 75% - 80% win rate, plus or minus. Was that really a "level playing field?"
  • phillgreenphillgreen Member Posts: 3,976 ★★★★★
    I'm 20 matches into D1 and I'm pulling the pin on this season.

I'm annoyed enough that I'll do my 5 next season then stop. I'd rather start from the beginning than be a few tiers from the brick wall and get nothing for the time/energy investment.

• DNA3000DNA3000 Member, Guardian Posts: 19,387 Guardian

I'm annoyed enough that I'll do my 5 next season then stop. I'd rather start from the beginning than be a few tiers from the brick wall and get nothing for the time/energy investment.

You realize if you start from zero you'll be matching against equal roster competition in Bronze, against all the other players who had the same idea.
  • winterthurwinterthur Member Posts: 8,058 ★★★★★
    Crys23 said:

All I want from BGs is tokens.

I want Units, sprinkle over number of wins.
    Economy breaking?
    DNA3000 said:

You realize if you start from zero you'll be matching against equal roster competition in Bronze, against all the other players who had the same idea.
    Might sit out altogether. I can't work out why I'm ranking champs for a game mode I've lost interest in. Probably better to invest the resources in niche champs for content like WoW where my skill is the limiting factor rather than BG's where draft, time of day, length of time waiting for a match etc etc affects the outcome as much or more than my ability to win the fight.

I don't do war so pure defenders are largely useless to me.
  • GreekhitGreekhit Member Posts: 2,820 ★★★★★
    Bugmat78 said:

Part of the disincentive for me is reaching D1 and seeing I have to get 5 coins to move up - I do it every season but it's a bit meh. Same with vibranium. I liked it better when I gained 2 for a win and lost 1 for a loss. It's jus tpsychologically better, and half the issue with BG participation is the psychology.

Kabam was warned for this change, that it would decrease participation over time and throw BGs into the death spiral.
    They chose to ignore the players concerns and invest in the Victory Shields consumption increase, which I’m not sure it ultimately happened, because participation has dropped significantly since the upper VT 2/1 medal removal and the 3 Vibranium of 5 tokens changes.
    Higher VT tiers are a drag and additionally stressful without any reason existing for them to be like that.
    At least for me that’s the main reason I avoid BGs as much as I can, and play only for the objectives in order to reach GC.
    I believe the zero sum game BGs can be at these 1/1 medal long tiers (5 tokens for promotion), psychologically exhausts players over time, making them losing fun due to stress and ultimately making them play the least possible if not dropping the mode at all.
    Personally, I can’t see the problem on promoting more players to GC through the old 2/1 medal system throughout VT and have a mode with a guaranteed participation, rather than ultimately kill the mode over time for many players, especially the lower tier ones.
    If they have a problem with rewards being too much for the lower tier players that reach GC, they could adjust the trophy token distribution to allocate a part of them in higher GC tiers.
    At least this way the weaker players wouldn’t had the sense of playing for nothing at higher VT tiers, when they can’t win consistently.
    Despair these higher VT tiers create only push away players and slowly destroys the mode.
    I’m still advancing at a good pace through VT by playing only the daily objectives, currently being at Vibranium 2, but I can see that the competition is getting stiffer from season to season due to reduced participation.
    I mean playing consistently with the mega whales, 7mil+ accounts with 3 or 4 r3s and all the latest meta defenders like Onslaught, Bullseye, Dust etc. ain’t something that should happen at VT this late in season.
    These were the matches that should happen at higher GC tiers, but since VT is dragging players down they happen there instead.
    Vibranium tiers are currently flooded with stacked Valliant accounts, and anyone below that will find themselves in desperation matching them back to back in their attempt to advance a tier.
    At Vibranium 3 I had two Paragon players forfeited on the banning phase, and my deck despite being a Valliant 5,7mil is far from the strong “meta” decks that linger in Vibranium tiers currently.
    This only proofs that the mode, mainly because of VT structure, is not fun and creates frustration to many players.
    Let’s hope reads these concerns and change BGs to a better playing experience than they currently are 🙂
  • SemmySemmy Member Posts: 2
    cuervo 507 and peddie players are cheaters, they killed my champions without losing health, in a very short time, even Conda galan hits the block, it takes a lot of health, they are scumbags
  • TeleusTeleus Member Posts: 119
    With the several people in the post the other day that mentioned they only do the solo objectives (so 3ish matches ever 48 hours), why not just make those every 24 hours instead? It would clear a lot of people out of VT faster.
  • CorkscrewCorkscrew Member Posts: 539 ★★★
    Teleus said:

With the several people in the post the other day that mentioned they only do the solo objectives (so 3ish matches ever 48 hours), why not just make those every 24 hours instead? It would clear a lot of people out of VT faster.

This assumes they're winning and leaving. A lot of players if they're not using shields are just going to lose as many as they win and bobble around in the same tier until it suits them to push. The win/loss ratio won't change by increasing objectives in VT. My suggestion is adding GC only objectives.
  • Milan1405Milan1405 Member Posts: 952 ★★★★
    Some good points being made but let's also not forget that BG's is too P2W. It's so annoying facing deck after deck of R5 ascended or 7 star bullseyes, onslaughts, serpents, dust, photon etc. Kabam just STOP with the super powerful defenders. It's tough to face them normally, but extremely difficult when there's tons of input issues and lag. And all you guys have said is "you're looking into it" and then offered no update. Poor Dr Zola has been straight up ignored for months now, despite valiantly trying to get an answer.
  • Rayven5220Rayven5220 Member Posts: 2,090 ★★★★★
    Milan1405 said:

Some good points being made but let's also not forget that BG's is too P2W. It's so annoying facing deck after deck of R5 ascended or 7 star bullseyes, onslaughts, serpents, dust, photon etc. Kabam just STOP with the super powerful defenders. It's tough to face them normally, but extremely difficult when there's tons of input issues and lag. And all you guys have said is "you're looking into it" and then offered no update. Poor Dr Zola has been straight up ignored for months now, despite valiantly trying to get an answer.

Even in vibranium 3 I'm seeing alot of these defenders, and having to ban them all the time because they're mostly new is screwing me being able to ban other bigger champs.

It's been a really, really bad season for me thus far.
  • peixemacacopeixemacaco Member Posts: 2,373 ★★★★
    Pause on BG still a nonsense thing...

And skip the Sp.3 must be the next thing to change.
    Just think that champs have different Sp.3 animation time. So, it's really unfair in this case.
    And with everybody skipping this ,the fight would last more.
    👍