**KNOWN AW ISSUE**
Please be aware, there is a known issue with Saga badging when observing the AW map.
The team have found the source of the issue and will be updating with our next build.
We apologize for the inconvenience.
**KNOWN BG ISSUE**
We are aware of an issue with the seeding for the beginning of the BG season.
We are adding rewards to higher progression brackets to offset the additional grind.
More information here.
**Arcade is being extra tricky with his Murder Box...**
It appears Arcade has been non-cooperative in his approach to this month's side quest and presented his clues in a nonsensical order. Lucky you, Summoners, we have our best and brightest on the case and those clues should now be a lot more straightforward. While messing around in Arcade's files we came across a phrase, highlighted and bolded, with sparkles and pointy arrows: "the abode for the dead" ... Maybe that will help you along the way!
Options

"You're Bad at Battlegrounds." Thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    xLunatiXxxLunatiXx Posts: 1,277 ★★★★★

Kabam Jax said:

GW, I appreciate your passion around this topic. But I think we've done this dance enough times and you've been a part of those conversations enough that you might need to consider changing your perspective on this one. I understand you want something one particular way, but you've been told numerous times why that cannot be.

I'd also appreciate you not putting words in our mouths. We never said anyone was whining. You are being heard. This isn't a matter of "listening to all voices" because I've displayed that the ones asking for BGs to be easier are the vocal minority. You are also being told that what you want conflicts with the nature of the game design and therefore doesn't take precedent. We are listening, but when we have to make decisions between appeasing the vocal minority and preserving the integrity of the game mode while considering the design intent... we choose the latter.

Additionally, The game mode doesn't exist in its current state because we're listening to the people at the top, it is the way it is because we have established a game design philosophy, stated it publicly and dedicated ourselves to maintaining the competitive integrity of the mode.

I can't keep going in circles on this. We as a community have had these conversations for over a year now. When matchmaking and the "fairness" of BGs is called into question the only thing we will have to say (because it's all that really matters) is: This is a competitive game mode where you need to beat others to progress. We understand that you might want it to be easier for you to progress, but when it's a choice between appeasing a vocal minority and staying true to the intention behind the game design... we believe our game team is making the right choice in preserving the competitive nature of the mode.

so Jax why don’t make BG matching base on at least Title to have more fair match. For example, Paragon match with Paragon, just like Boxing base on weight level to have a more competitive matchup
    Cause we all get the same rewards in VT. Yes store can be different but that's not the only reward attached to VT. Sometimes there is a deathless piece attached to it. So it would be unfair for low level players to have an easier time getting endgame items. We had it at the start of BG and it didn't go well.
    Now if you want to cut paragon and TB rewards, why not.
  • Options
    DemonzfyreDemonzfyre Posts: 21,386 ★★★★★
    BeastDad said:

Again, nobody complains when the rewards are worth the time and effort.

100% false. The rewards have never worth it in the history of MCOC except Nerco but people still complained about the difficulty.
  • Options
    DemonzfyreDemonzfyre Posts: 21,386 ★★★★★

Kabam Jax said:

GW, I appreciate your passion around this topic. But I think we've done this dance enough times and you've been a part of those conversations enough that you might need to consider changing your perspective on this one. I understand you want something one particular way, but you've been told numerous times why that cannot be.

I'd also appreciate you not putting words in our mouths. We never said anyone was whining. You are being heard. This isn't a matter of "listening to all voices" because I've displayed that the ones asking for BGs to be easier are the vocal minority. You are also being told that what you want conflicts with the nature of the game design and therefore doesn't take precedent. We are listening, but when we have to make decisions between appeasing the vocal minority and preserving the integrity of the game mode while considering the design intent... we choose the latter.

Additionally, The game mode doesn't exist in its current state because we're listening to the people at the top, it is the way it is because we have established a game design philosophy, stated it publicly and dedicated ourselves to maintaining the competitive integrity of the mode.

I can't keep going in circles on this. We as a community have had these conversations for over a year now. When matchmaking and the "fairness" of BGs is called into question the only thing we will have to say (because it's all that really matters) is: This is a competitive game mode where you need to beat others to progress. We understand that you might want it to be easier for you to progress, but when it's a choice between appeasing a vocal minority and staying true to the intention behind the game design... we believe our game team is making the right choice in preserving the competitive nature of the mode.

so Jax why don’t make BG matching base on at least Title to have more fair match. For example, Paragon match with Paragon, just like Boxing base on weight level to have a more competitive matchup
    You don't really know how wide of a net that Pargon is do you? Same with Thronebreaker.
  • Options
    DarkNightRiseDarkNightRise Posts: 192
    IKON said:

Kabam Jax said:

You're competing for the same rewards. You wouldn't have the lightweights compete for the heavyweight belt, but that's exactly what would happen here.
    The store price is already different and that’s the FAIR.
  • Options
    edited May 18
    xLunatiXx said:

Kabam Jax said:

Cause we all get the same rewards in VT. Yes store can be different but that's not the only reward attached to VT. Sometimes there is a deathless piece attached to it. So it would be unfair for low level players to have an easier time getting endgame items. We had it at the start of BG and it didn't go well.
    Now if you want to cut paragon and TB rewards, why not.
    i don’t mind about the “top reward” like deathless piece. Just simply cutoff base on the Title cuz that’s why the progression process needed. The top player should be highest Title which is Valiant. I just want to PLAY bg with fair match for fun. It’s just ridiculous why a paragon match with a Valiant!
  • Options

Kabam Jax said:

You don't really know how wide of a net that Pargon is do you? Same with Thronebreaker.
    I know exactly but at least a new throne breaker match with a huge throne breaker which is close to Valiant still a better match than a paragon with a valiant!
  • Options
    Joker1976Joker1976 Posts: 505 ★★★
    There’s also the solution of not participating in battlegrounds if one thinks it “unfair.
    There are many that do not play the game mode,
    Only half of the alliance i am in participates, with some only going for the 5 match mark to get the milestone rewards.
    I don’t do incursions / AW or AQ because for different reasons I don’t enjoy the game modes, i am fine with passing on the rewards.
    I would treat battlegrounds the same if i found it “unfair”,…but it is a fair system imo.
  • Options
    ItsClobberinTimeItsClobberinTime Posts: 3,901 ★★★★★

Kabam Jax said:

That wouldn't be fair in the slightest lol and you can't use weight class in boxing as an example because in boxing, each weight division has a different belt. You aren't competing for different rewards here, we're all fighting each other for the exact same rewards.
  • Options

Kabam Jax said:

That wouldn't be fair in the slightest lol and you can't use weight class in boxing as an example because in boxing, each weight division has a different belt. You aren't competing for different rewards here, we're all fighting each other for the exact same rewards.
    Then if the store price difference still not FAIR enough so why don’t also create different reward for each Title progression. I believe this also motivate player to achieve higher Title as well.
  • Options
    11993451199345 Posts: 464 ★★★
    Play it if you like it, don't if you don't...

I barely do the 48-hr milestones anymore because it's simply not fun for me to win once, lose 3-4, rinse/repeat. Sometimes I get motivated to jump in, but then I'm quickly reminded why I stopped: Seasons ago I got burned out pushing that rock up the mountain, and no amount of buffed rewards motivates me to face that climb again.

Sad to say you can add me to the list of players you lost in this mode; However, although I'm not spending time on BGs, I'm more than making it up on other modes that I enjoy...

And that's the beauty of this game. You do you, find your fun, and play the modes you like! 😎👍
  • Options
    ChiliDogChiliDog Posts: 886 ★★★
    The season where they went to two blocks for every win and before they added the extra ranks and stuff will go down as the best season ever for battlegrounds.
  • Options
    BringPopcornBringPopcorn Posts: 3,330 ★★★★★
    ChiliDog said:

The season where they went to two blocks for every win and before they added the extra ranks and stuff will go down as the best season ever for battlegrounds.

It was by far the worse... Needed like 200 points to get out of URU
  • Options
    DeaconDeacon Posts: 4,152 ★★★★★

I already knew that most people were better than me. And I don't care about losing in BGs.

I just want to have fun playing a video game on a mobile device. As that regards BGs, my issue is more with:

• The nodes making it feel like a chore
    • Kabam constantly releasing super hard defenders, making BGs sometimes more painful than fun
    I have a decent roster and I can make it into the GC if I want, but I don't find it worth the effort (translate: it ain't fun to slog thru just to get a few more virtual doodads).

I think it is great to have a hard mode for the really good players who enjoy that, so maybe you could consider two levels of BGs, or two versions of it? One that makes the sweaties sweaty and one that is more fun and less punishing, but with lesser rewards.
    wow couldn't agree more with this! well said mate.
  • Options
    Roberto_11fRoberto_11f Posts: 3
    DNA3000 said:

Can you explain to me how your placement depends on your participation plz. If I play a lot of BGs will I get matched with higher lvl players?? Or if I don’t play a lot will I get matched with higher players? I don’t understand

Players are matched by one of two algorithms. One seeks to find players with similar roster strength in your tier. The other seeks to match against any other player within the same tier without regard to roster strength.

At low VT tiers, the first algorithm dominates. The game tries to find matches of similar strength. It can’t always do so, it sometimes has to match against whoever happens to be looking at the time, but it tries. The reason for doing this is to deliberately make it easier for low strength players to enter matches with other players of similar strength, so the outcome of the match is more likely to be relatively even.

The problem with this kind of matching is that while it can seem fair to individual players it is unfair to the competition as a whole. If players always matched that way, lower strength players would have an easier time promoting than they should, because they would never face the strongest players in the game. Imagine an Uncollected player facing no one but other Uncollected players and then placing first at the end of the season. That would make a mockery of the entire competition.

So at some point, the “training wheels” have to come off, and players have to face whoever is there ahead of them, and not just hand picked opponents they can beat. Somewhere around platinum 2 or so, the match maker shifts from matching by strength to matching against whoever is there. From that point on, no matter how strong your own roster is, you still have to face whoever is in those tiers, whether they are as strong as you, stronger than you, or extremely stronger than you.

As far as I’m aware, no amount of participation afffects who you match against. However, because who sits in each tier changes throughout a season as players promote upward in VT, the level of participation by everyone as a whole can affect how easy or difficult a particular tier is on any given week of the BG season. The more everyone participates, the faster everyone moves up to their eventual tier. This causes stronger players to end up higher and leave lower tiers, making them in effect easier. That’s the only way in which “participation” changes who you match against. Your own participation level means nothing, but how active everyone is will affect whether you face strong accounts or those accounts promote up into GC quickly and you never see them as a result.

Thank you very much for that i appreciate the feedback :)

• Options
    Vegeta9001Vegeta9001 Posts: 1,481 ★★★★
    edited May 19
    There is too much RNG involved in drafting phase for it to be considered a purely win based mode. I never struggle to make GC usually do it with well over a 75% win rate but once I make GC I rarely ever bother to climb past gamma.

I took a brief look at that news, never finished reading it. There is always room for improvement, you can use that article as motivation, but I wouldn't feel targeted by it, again, there is only so much you can do when drafting decides to one sidedly favor one person.

Battlegrounds is the only draft style format I've played that has you choose bans, and then further limit your drafting options by randomising your draft pool to 5 selective picks. Takes away any skill/knowledge aspect when you think " oh I can use this person in my deck to counter that one he just picked" "oh, they haven't shown up the entire drafting phase, cool"
  • Options
    Ayden_noah1Ayden_noah1 Posts: 1,385 ★★★★

Just like Boxing there should be different divisions with different prize pools. I'm have been advocating for a tier system like Incursions for awhile now. Like Incursion structure, the prizes will reflect your progression level. With the top tier open to all who dare challenge against the top for the top rewards. Lets make this happen.
  • Options
    xLunatiXxxLunatiXx Posts: 1,277 ★★★★★
    edited May 19

There is too much RNG involved in drafting phase for it to be considered a purely win based mode. I never struggle to make GC usually do it with well over a 75% win rate but once I make GC I rarely ever bother to climb past gamma.

I took a brief look at that news, never finished reading it. There is always room for improvement, you can use that article as motivation, but I wouldn't feel targeted by it, again, there is only so much you can do when drafting decides to one sidedly favor one person.

Battlegrounds is the only draft style format I've played that has you choose bans, and then further limit your drafting options by randomising your draft pool to 5 selective picks. Takes away any skill/knowledge aspect when you think " oh I can use this person in my deck to counter that one he just picked" "oh, they haven't shown up the entire drafting phase, cool"

Simply because there are more than one option for any champ you'll face. You are not stuck. It forces you to use unusual champs for specific matchups but that's where true skill shows up.
    Calling draft RNG for a lack of progress in GC is just untrue. First, everyone faces the same rng. Span this RNG over dozens and dozens of matchups against players who faces the same RNG then RNG is not a factor to your BG progress.
    You won't see anyone placing high in GC due to amazing luck.

So what would be the solution for you? Remove any RNG from the mode ? Great. My opponent picked photon as a defender. Let me select my guaranteed Mantis. So much fun ! You'd end up seeing the same matchups across the whole battlerealm... Stale. Boring.
    RNG is the beauty of BG. Forces you to use uncommon champs to face tough defenders. Makes you develop skills that will be useful everywhere else in the game.
    It forces you to create a balanced deck to answer as much as the opponent is throwing at you. That's where the skill and knowledge you brought up comes into play.
  • Options
    xLunatiXx said:

Simply because there are more than one option for any champ you'll face. You are not stuck. It forces you to use unusual champs for specific matchups but that's where true skill shows up.
    Calling draft RNG for a lack of progress in GC is just untrue. First, everyone faces the same rng. Span this RNG over dozens and dozens of matchups against players who faces the same RNG then RNG is not a factor to your BG progress.
    You won't see anyone placing high in GC due to amazing luck.

So what would be the solution for you? Remove any RNG from the mode ? Great. My opponent picked photon as a defender. Let me select my guaranteed Mantis. So much fun ! You'd end up seeing the same matchups across the whole battlerealm... Stale. Boring.
    RNG is the beauty of BG. Forces you to use uncommon champs to face tough defenders. Makes you develop skills that will be useful everywhere else in the game.
    It forces you to create a balanced deck to answer as much as the opponent is throwing at you. That's where the skill and knowledge you brought up comes into play.
    Could agree more, without the draft, it would be boring as hell with fights being like the monthly quest boss. If you want to fight the same boss, do Paragon Guantlet over and over again. I like the bans and dragt aspect of BG, makes it interesting. I don't need to do the same fight 1000 times in a roll. There will be a lot of the same fights as it is now but every fight using the same attacker against the same defender would make this game mode very boring.
  • Options

Just like Boxing there should be different divisions with different prize pools. I'm have been advocating for a tier system like Incursions for awhile now. Like Incursion structure, the prizes will reflect your progression level. With the top tier open to all who dare challenge against the top for the top rewards. Lets make this happen.
    Please do. This way some of my buddies who just don't play very seriously that are still cav because they're scared to fight the GM smoke everybody because of their 3 mil accts that are still just chilling and having fun with their jacked cav rosters.

Then we can all see why that would be an absolute dogs$%* idea.

That would be funny as hell, but now they can't complain about higher progression accounts, positing in this form it's not fair that these big TB accounts are 3m accounts while my TB account is only 1 million. Kabam is not listening to the average TB accounts. No matter what system they use, some summoners will not be please. The perfect cycle of madness. I got my popcorn ready for the "Insanity show".
  • Options
    GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Posts: 36,360 ★★★★★
    edited May 19

My thoughts on this is anybody it triggered is probably bad at BG's.
    Pretty simple.

This is why I took issue with it. There was a point to Jax's message, and it wasn't to encourage people to criticize others.
  • Options
    TyEdgeTyEdge Posts: 2,985 ★★★★★

Please do. This way some of my buddies who just don't play very seriously that are still cav because they're scared to fight the GM smoke everybody because of their 3 mil accts that are still just chilling and having fun with their jacked cav rosters.

Then we can all see why that would be an absolute dogs$%* idea.
    That would be funny as hell, but now they can't complain about higher progression accounts, positing in this form it's not fair that these big TB accounts are 3m accounts while my TB account is only 1 million. Kabam is not listening to the average TB accounts. No matter what system they use, some summoners will not be please. The perfect cycle of madness. I got my popcorn ready for the "Insanity show".

The average Thronebreaker account is irrelevant to a competitive game mode when there are valiant players.

What do you rank as an alliance in AQ and war? Consider how many summoners are ahead of you, then figure out whether you’re playing above or below that rank in BGs.

We don’t all play all modes. Some of us take them more seriously than others. I just want the 2-day rewards and the rest is gravy. If I’m busy, I just load a match and don’t play.

This game really operates off the 80-20 rule, fudging those percentages a bit. You can get a substantial portion of rewards by showing up and spreading your time around. The best rewards take more time than the rest combined. Do you hate arena? Still do 3 rounds of the trials for 26 units and one in class arena for 10. Every 21 days, that’s worth 226 units - almost 4000 units per year.

Autofight a quest when your energy is full, if you’re busy. It’ll build back up while you’re busy and you’ll snag some units for your trouble.

Stuff adds up.
  • Options
    SandeepSSandeepS Posts: 1,212 ★★★★
    Just change the 5 wins in a row at the final 3 stages to the same as the previous stages and I'd be more encouraged to play more. Personal opinion
  • Options
    BrhynoBrhyno Posts: 10
    I’ve got mixed feelings about battlegrounds. It’s a neat variant to play, but if you want to know who the “best” players are, remove all the nodes and make it a heads up battle. No tricks, no gimmicks, no BS. Then we will truly see who the best player is. Til then it’s still gonna be a lot of RNG based stuff.
  • Options
    edited May 19
    Brhyno said:

I’ve got mixed feelings about battlegrounds. It’s a neat variant to play, but if you want to know who the “best” players are, remove all the nodes and make it a heads up battle. No tricks, no gimmicks, no BS. Then we will truly see who the best player is. Til then it’s still gonna be a lot of RNG based stuff.

It's like saying lets all play t-ball, no slider, curve ball, fast ball or sinkers to worry about. Just put the ball on the tee and lets see who can hit the ball the furthest. For beginners and kids, this is the way to go. For seaon players and pros, this is a joke. Taking away the difficulty aspect of any sport or video game makes it very boring game. Most players will quit the sport or game due to boredom.

This would make BG so boring and who gets the better draft wins 99% of the time. Also the better roster would win the majority of the time. It's like playing arena but with a limit pool of champs of your choice. NO thank you.
  • Options
    IlociaM97IlociaM97 Posts: 163
    I am so bad bc I keep facing only valíant players I don't have any r3 and I still beat them half of the time
  • Options
    IlociaM97 said:

I am so bad bc I keep facing only valíant players I don't have any r3 and I still beat them half of the time

That's a skill issue but the opposite of most post because you actually have skill s. Most skill players can beat a non skill whale accounts the majority of the time. I have beaten bigger accounts and lost to smaller accounts but it's a learning process. Usually it takes a few fights to see what works and what doesn't work. I might lose 10 in a row but I will check to see which attacker worked against my defender and make changes or use the same attacker to see what I'm missing. It's a fun to learn new tricks of the trade.
  • Options
    Rayven5220Rayven5220 Posts: 1,916 ★★★★★

My thoughts on this is anybody it triggered is probably bad at BG's.
    Pretty simple.

This is why I took issue with it. There was a point to Jax's message, and it wasn't to encourage people to criticize others.
    "If the shoe fits"...
    There's always people getting offended and triggered.
    Usually people aren't when the shoe doesn't fit.
This discussion has been closed.