Traveling Internationally - Could it lead to account suspicions?

Infinity_CeeInfinity_Cee Member Posts: 13
Hi everyone, this is my first post here as typically my questions are answered, but I was curious about a certain topic.

I am travelling to Brazil on the 26th of July and will return the first week of August. Typically, I reside in New York, United States.

Now as far as I know, Kabam has heavily cracked down on account sharing and in doing so, I believe they check to see where you login from to see if another user is logging into your account. However, if I'm traveling internationally and want to play the game, am I going to be in trouble for doing so since they might see that I'm playing from a location that's entirely different than my typical login location? Would I have to let them know that I'm traveling in advance so that they know not to raise any red flags if they see one of their accounts is being accessed from an international location?

If it's on a device-by-device basis, would I be penalized if I buy a new device (which I do not intend on doing anytime soon) and get banned?

Your help is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

- Infinity Cee

Comments

• Emilia90Emilia90 Member Posts: 3,341 ★★★★★
    I just traveled to 5 different states within the last 2 weeks and had no issues. As long as you’re not teleporting (and by that I mean you log in from Brazil and suddenly reappear in NY after) you’re good. That would only happen if you’re account sharing
  • MrSakuragiMrSakuragi Member Posts: 4,834 ★★★★★
    No, many users travel internationally. You won’t set off flags unless you’re logged in NY and then minutes later start playing from Brazil.
  • Infinity_CeeInfinity_Cee Member Posts: 13
    Emilia90 said:

I just traveled to 5 different states within the last 2 weeks and had no issues. As long as you’re not teleporting (and by that I mean you log in from Brazil and suddenly reappear in NY after) you’re good. That would only happen if you’re account sharing

But what if I'm in Brazil and log in the day before I come back home and then log in in New York the next day when I arrive?
  • Emilia90Emilia90 Member Posts: 3,341 ★★★★★

Emilia90 said:

But what if I'm in Brazil and log in the day before I come back home and then log in in New York the next day when I arrive?
    You should have no issues. Like someone else said, if you’re in 2 places within minutes of each other that’ll flag something. Otherwise nothing happens. I’ve played this game in a lot of different states and countries and nothing has happened :)

No, many users travel internationally. You won’t set off flags unless you’re logged in NY and then minutes later start playing from Brazil.

Ahh ok thanks so much! So even if it's hours apart (like a plane ride from Brazil to New York, which I believe is like 11 hours), I wouldn't be penalized?
    Emilia90 said:

Emilia90 said:

You should have no issues. Like someone else said, if you’re in 2 places within minutes of each other that’ll flag something. Otherwise nothing happens. I’ve played this game in a lot of different states and countries and nothing has happened :)
    Great, thanks so much!
  • obsidimanobsidiman Member Posts: 914 ★★★
    Last year I traveled to London from the Midwest and had no issues logging in and playing from 6 time zones away. If it's your account with your password, you should be fine.
  • mbgibsonmbgibson Member Posts: 119
    I'm out of the country right now. No issues.
  • AinyAiny Member Posts: 255 ★★★
    I logged in to the game from 4 different continents (over the years, not within one day lol) and I was not banned (yet). I even logged in while I was connected to vpn a few times and had no issues.
  • Mikes_momMikes_mom Member Posts: 136
    I do travel a lot & never have problems with the game. The problem is if you logged in the US then minutes later logged in from Brazil.
  • PT_99PT_99 Member Posts: 4,024 ★★★★★
    Emilia90 said:

Then how mercs gets caught? Like if a player buys services then does not touch his account for 1 week or so, then shouldn't that account be safe?
    PT_99 said:

Emilia90 said:

Then how mercs gets caught? Like if a player buys services then does not touch his account for 1 week or so, then shouldn't that account be safe?
    I guess in theory, that would be safe. I'm not sure how Kabam would crack down on that.
    Ainy said:

I logged in to the game from 4 different continents (over the years, not within one day lol) and I was not banned (yet). I even logged in while I was connected to vpn a few times and had no issues.

Good to know, I should be fine then. Thanks so much for your help!
  • captain_rogerscaptain_rogers Member Posts: 7,892 ★★★★★
    PT_99 said:

Emilia90 said:

Mercs get caught because there is a sudden change in location. For instance, at one point, the player was in USA and in 5 minutes, they login from India, and magically stay logged in In India for few hours and coincidentally complete necropolis and immediately gets logged in in USA. If that makes sense.
  • DemonzfyreDemonzfyre Member Posts: 21,762 ★★★★★
    I went from Texas to Mexico and had no problems.
  • The_Boss253The_Boss253 Member Posts: 105
    You should be fine. I’ve been traveling throughout the US and Canada for the last couple of days and haven’t any problems. But if you are still nervous, you can always contact them and let them know that you are traveling. They’ll usually reassure you and ignore any flags that may go off.
  • PT_99PT_99 Member Posts: 4,024 ★★★★★
    What if I'm on international cruise and happens to get perfect AI and cleans out Abyss and that gauntlet which Kabam gave use keys or upcoming showcase 👀
  • peixemacacopeixemacaco Member Posts: 2,276 ★★★★

Welcome to Brazil!

Any game convention?
  • Shadow_ShooterShadow_Shooter Member Posts: 323 ★★★
    Emilia90 said:

So using vpn?
  • DNA3000DNA3000 Member, Guardian Posts: 19,301 Guardian
    I have travelled from the US to Japan and back, and not only played in both countries but also played three accounts on two devices swapping around in both countries. This has never caused problems before.

In fact, I've played using in-flight Wifi while flying across the continental US, and also while flying across the Pacific. This has also not caused any issues. Kabam once geolocated me in the middle of a lake.
  • DNA3000DNA3000 Member, Guardian Posts: 19,301 Guardian
    PT_99 said:

Emilia90 said:

Nope. I can tell the difference between a player using a VPN and a player hiring a merc, and so can Kabam. Although teleporting around the world might throw a suspicion flag up, it would take about a minute to tell the difference between the two.

No, I won't say how. I will say this is not a particularly difficult thing to do, and I know Kabam is capable of doing it.
  • Average_DesiAverage_Desi Member Posts: 426 ★★★
    DNA3000 said:

PT_99 said:

Emilia90 said:

Nope. I can tell the difference between a player using a VPN and a player hiring a merc, and so can Kabam. Although teleporting around the world might throw a suspicion flag up, it would take about a minute to tell the difference between the two.

No, I won't say how. I will say this is not a particularly difficult thing to do, and I know Kabam is capable of doing it.
    MAC address?

I think they can detect which device you're on? I've had reddit accounts banned when I make them on my phone but no issues on my laptop while using the same wifi.
    DNA3000 said:

PT_99 said:

Emilia90 said:

So under no circumstance will I get in trouble for playing internationally or on a plane, right?
  • captain_rogerscaptain_rogers Member Posts: 7,892 ★★★★★
    Yeah but afaik phones are not allowed to be used in planes right? That's why we have flight mode ig? Enlighten me as I never travelled in a Aeroplane.
  • Average_DesiAverage_Desi Member Posts: 426 ★★★

Yeah but afaik phones are not allowed to be used in planes right? That's why we have flight mode ig? Enlighten me as I never travelled in a Aeroplane.

It was a lil bit of fear mongering done in the past. Nothing will happen. I should have died a lot of times it were true
  • MrSakuragiMrSakuragi Member Posts: 4,834 ★★★★★

DNA3000 said:

PT_99 said:

Emilia90 said:

MAC address?

I think they can detect which device you're on? I've had reddit accounts banned when I make them on my phone but no issues on my laptop while using the same wifi.
    There was a post some time ago I think by Kabam Crashes that talked about device ids. This led me to believe that they can or are tracking specific device ids and can tell when a device logs into an account to complete certain content. A device logging into multiple different accounts for the first time and only completing Necropolis would set off warning flags, as an example.