I need help and answers.

The_Unnamed99The_Unnamed99 Member Posts: 43
edited July 17 in General Discussion
I know I haven't posted in a while. And me asking this may be stupid, but I don't have many people to turn to for this question. So, here we go.

I have my own personal project where I've put original characters of mine into the format of MCOC, mixed with it's sister game Forged to Fight (which has ranged attacks and sidestepping, for those unaware). With this, I have two questions.

Would anyone like to see my project? (No this is not a game, just a discord server I run. It will never be a game.)

Is this technically wrong? (As in, could I be copyright striked for doing this? If so, I can erase this project of mine. I'm just doing this because I like seeing my characters in the format of a game I like).

I need a concrete answer as soon as possible please. I'm willing to give some info about the nature of this project if needed.

Comments

• Sundance_2099Sundance_2099 Member Posts: 3,169 ★★★★★
    If you're using code from other people's games to make your own game without a license, yes, it's a copyright violation. If you're using other people's characters without their permission, yes, it's a copyright violation.
  • SummonerNRSummonerNR Member, Guardian Posts: 12,234 Guardian
    You won’t get a “concrete” answer, except thru lawyers.

Depends if it is similar to say the thousands of “here's my design for how they could add such and such new champ” to MCOC. Or posts saying “here's how I would change an existing champ”.

Or like such 3rd party sites like Auntm.ai, Trucos, Reddit, MCOC Blog, YouTube, etc, etc.

If it's something along the lines of “what would happen if Thor would meet Thing on some new BattleRealm”, who would win, or a description of how a fight would go.

Or if you are making money off of it (which then also depends, as in all the people making money for providing into on the web about playing Kabam's game, etc)
  • peixemacacopeixemacaco Member Posts: 2,260 ★★★★

Same visuals
  • Wicket329Wicket329 Member Posts: 3,320 ★★★★★
    If you’re not selling a product and you give credit to the sources where you pulled inspiration from, you’re fine. If you’re looking to make a profit off of it in some way, I’d have further questions. But if it’s basically a personal art project, then I wouldn’t be worried.
  • The_Unnamed99The_Unnamed99 Member Posts: 43
    I am not using this for profit. So yeah, it basically is an art project. I don't use the same characters as MCOC, and I don't use use their code (because I cant code). What I'm basically doing is I'm using the games character format to put my own original characters in. What I'm doing is purely just writing my characters in the format of the games characters, nothing more. But I do use their mechanics and ideas in my writing, and I've changed a few of the names for certain effects.
  • Wicket329Wicket329 Member Posts: 3,320 ★★★★★
    I don’t have a firm grasp on what you’re doing so take this with a grain of salt, but in my opinion it sounds like you’ve got nothing to worry about.
  • Kingering_KingKingering_King Member Posts: 824 ★★★
    Yeah I would be interested in this😁
  • SirGamesBondSirGamesBond Member Posts: 4,707 ★★★★★
    Sure, Break a leg!!
    As long as you keep it as a personal project, I don't see any problem.
    Alright, so then would the mods or you guys mind if I post what I do? Or should I give my discord name? (I don't think you can post discord servers here). This is only if people want to see what I do, I'd be more than happy to show it. I don't have many people who truly understand the nature of my writing, because they don't play the game
    What I do is very similar. But he explains the reasons why those characters have them, and types them out in his own format. I kinda copy-pasted the format of a champions info and I use that format. Each part of their kit gets a section explaining how it works, and then there's a section for each Special Attack, and before everything there's a section for the Sig. If you need, I can post one of my characters here for reference.
    Should I make a poll on whether or not I should post my characters here? I want to see how many people are interested.
  • peixemacacopeixemacaco Member Posts: 2,260 ★★★★
    🙄 you already did on your another post.

Why so worried?

A lot of people do this here
    And I was thinking it was new character designs, skins,.eg...
    edited July 19
    I didn't? That post was a discussion about me sending my work as evidence, not as entertainment for anyone interested. And I'm not worried, not anymore. Now I'm just trying to gauge whether or not people actually want to see what I do. But I do apologize for making a new post entirely, I should've just sent a reply here instead.
  • SummonerNRSummonerNR Member, Guardian Posts: 12,234 Guardian

Should I make a poll on whether or not I should post my characters here? I want to see how many people are interested.

Huh ??
    (and looking back, “For An Assignment”, is this some school related project, or such ?)

I’m with Peix.
    And at this point, I’m beginning to think this is one huge troll (except where you actually provided that lengthy example in other post), or a project designed to see to what level forum people can be strung along for.

Either post your character profiles, or don’t.
    But no need for the constant stringing along of “should I, or shouldn’t I” or “is it allowed, are you sure it is allowed, can I get confirmation of whether it is allowed or not”.

Someone else had a recent poll of their own, asking for what other Marvel characters he should create MCOC concept kits / ability kits / proposed profiles / etc, of their own for.

There is no need to continue to ask whether you should do it, or can do it, or if people want to see it. If it pleases you then just post them.
    I apologize if this all felt like a troll. That's not what I meant. All I'm trying to do is be sure of myself, and trying to see if anybody wants to see my work, because I don't want to post stuff that's not going to be noticed. I want to post my work because people want it, not because I do. Again, I apologize for making this so complicated. I'll just set up a schedule for myself and start posting, or making polls on what character of mine I should do next.
    What does Abuse mean on a person's profile?