Dang!!! Robert Downey is Doctor Doom!

Comments

• ItsClobberinTimeItsClobberinTime Member Posts: 5,369 ★★★★★
    edited July 28
    I would've preferred someone like Viggo Mortensen or Antony Starr, I don't know how I feel about this one. It feels like they're just desperately trying to keep the ship afloat by slapping big names after the embarrassing disappointment the last few Marvel movies (pre-Deadpool & Wolverine of course cause I watched it yesterday and that was one of the best Marvel movies I've ever seen) were and with Jonathan Major's being a horrible person effectively ruining anything Kang related for now.

I know RDJ can do it cause he's a great actor but... he's been Iron Man for so long I just can't see him as Doom, bummer.
  • Cap_MuricaCap_Murica Member Posts: 336 ★★★

I would've preferred someone like Viggo Mortensen or Antony Starr, I don't know how I feel about this one. It feels like they're just desperately trying to keep the ship afloat by slapping big names after the embarrassing disappointment the last few Marvel movies (pre-Deadpool & Wolverine of course cause I watched it yesterday and that was one of the best Marvel movies I've ever seen) were and with Jonathan Major's being a horrible person effectively ruining anything Kang related for now.

I know RDJ can do it cause he's a great actor but... he's been Iron Man for so long I just can't see him as Doom, bummer.

I agree. This really looks like a desperate attempt on Disney's part. I love RDJ with all my heart, but I'm pretty sure that there are other talented actors out there who can play VVD's part equally well, if not better. RDJ made IM synonymous with his name, would've loved to see somebody else do the same with VVD.
  • PT_99PT_99 Member Posts: 4,022 ★★★★★
    edited July 28
    Maybe he can iron-doom from other reality/universe
    Since MCU is trying to do this multiverse thing from long time
  • SummonerNRSummonerNR Member, Guardian Posts: 12,234 Guardian
    How about the guy filming that Panel at CC (or someone near him) saying out load right before his reveal “Robert Downey Jr, .. Robert Downey Jr, .. Watch”

Like the person in a movie theatre who shouts out who the killer is, before it is revealed on screen.
  • 713_o_f1673r713_o_f1673r Member Posts: 244
    PT_99 said:

Infamous iron man arc for the real Doom with a different actor where he got inspired by this iron Doom. Please 🙏
  • DorkyDorky Member Posts: 337

PT_99 said:

Infamous iron man arc for the real Doom with a different actor where he got inspired by this iron Doom. Please 🙏
    I was about to say infamous iron man lol
  • Nemesis_17Nemesis_17 Member Posts: 2,136 ★★★★★
    Tbh the more I think about it the more it could work. Doom’s scarred face is a core element of his character, meaning (if they do this correctly) he should at almost all times be wearing his mask. That combined with RDJ maybe giving him an accent and different dialogue patterns means it’ll be easier to mentally detach RDJ from the iron man character. With us unable to actually see RDJ’s face, and him hopefully having a different voice than iron man he’ll feel enough like a separate character.
    Dorky said:

PT_99 said:

Just don't give him the same terrible ending and we're good

Dorky said:

PT_99 said:

Just don't give him the same terrible ending and we're good
    As in infinity war lol

Tbh the more I think about it the more it could work. Doom’s scarred face is a core element of his character, meaning (if they do this correctly) he should at almost all times be wearing his mask. That combined with RDJ maybe giving him an accent and different dialogue patterns means it’ll be easier to mentally detach RDJ from the iron man character. With us unable to actually see RDJ’s face, and him hopefully having a different voice than iron man he’ll feel enough like a separate character.

If they are going for the whole Secret Wars thing (which seems to be the case) with the Beyonder and Doom stealing his powers, that mask will come off eventually, no way to avoid that.

If they are going for the whole Secret Wars thing (which seems to be the case) with the Beyonder and Doom stealing his powers, that mask will come off eventually, no way to avoid that.
    That depends on whether they go with the classic 1984 secret wars or the newer 2015 version. The mask comes off in both, and for the same reason in both, but in the newer version it’s only for a single panel way at the end. In the 1984 version I the mask is off for a lot longer, but they may not take that route. Either way, the mask will be on for the majority of the story, at least hopefully long enough for us to get used to it.

I agree. This really looks like a desperate attempt on Disney's part. I love RDJ with all my heart, but I'm pretty sure that there are other talented actors out there who can play VVD's part equally well, if not better. RDJ made IM synonymous with his name, would've loved to see somebody else do the same with VVD.
    Yeah I would've loved to see someone else with intimidating aura play him, I won't be able to watch RDJ as Doom without thinking: oh this is the guy that said "I thought you were a Build-A-Bear" to Rocket.
    RDJ is a great actor and if he hadn't been Iron Man for so many years he could've pulled this off but now I just can't see it personally.
    I know for a fact we will see the real Doom after these movies cause there is no way this is permanent especially
    after the Henry Cavill and Chris Evans cameos as Wolverine and Human Torch in Deadpool
    , they basically confirmed Variants don't necessarily have to look exactly the same, just sucks that they're doing this in a desperate attempt to bring back the masses after they ruined the whole Kang thing so hard.

That depends on whether they go with the classic 1984 secret wars or the newer 2015 version. The mask comes off in both, and for the same reason in both, but in the newer version it’s only for a single panel way at the end. In the 1984 version I the mask is off for a lot longer, but they may not take that route. Either way, the mask will be on for the majority of the story, at least hopefully long enough for us to get used to it.
    Yeah, I guess the mask just had a huge meaning for me personally so that's why I can't see them doing this without showing his face but whatever route they take I hope this isn't permanent. They already made it very clear Variants can look completely different so hopefully RDJ will just be there for the numbers for the first couple of movies and then we'll get the real Doom. I don't think I could ever really see RDJ as Doom no matter what they do.

Yeah, I guess the mask just had a huge meaning for me personally so that's why I can't see them doing this without showing his face but whatever route they take I hope this isn't permanent. They already made it very clear Variants can look completely different so hopefully RDJ will just be there for the numbers for the first couple of movies and then we'll get the real Doom. I don't think I could ever really see RDJ as Doom no matter what they do.
    Yeah I honestly hope RDJ isn’t the main doom, as he’s not my cast of choice for the role. I’m just saying that I could buy him as doom for secret wars IF they pull it off right. Admittedly that’s a pretty big if.
    edited July 28

Isn't the one from 2015 still ugly? I think he can't fix his face for whatever reason? And I heard incursions are currently happening in the MCU so that strongly suggests they're taking from the 2015 one
  • SilentArisSilentAris Member Posts: 80

It's smart move rdj plays doom variant for Avengers 5 and 6 and then die and we see main doom in mcu later by this they replace kang and didn't waste actual victor von doom.

Isn't the one from 2015 still ugly? I think he can't fix his face for whatever reason? And I heard incursions are currently happening in the MCU so that strongly suggests they're taking from the 2015 one
    His face is scarred throughout the entire story until the very end on the last panel, where reed fixes his face with the power of the molecule man to pretty much give doom some internal healing.
  • EdisonLawEdisonLaw Member Posts: 6,059 ★★★★★
    edited July 28
    I have a theory that this Doctor Doom will be a variant of Tony Stark from an alternate universe. Basically what would happen if Tony went to Kamar Taj and studied magic alongside creating the Ironman suit.
  • EdisonLawEdisonLaw Member Posts: 6,059 ★★★★★
    Plus after Secret Wars they could adapt an Infamous Iron Man story like the comics since they are using RDJ who played Iron Man already
  • RobbenRiberyRobbenRibery Member Posts: 9
    Fans gonna have a really really hard time accepting him as Antagonist. On top he needs to really bring out the best Doom ever to the screen for anyone to forget who’s behind the mask. There are many capable actors who can portray that role much more effectively, I was hoping it would be Cillian Murphy especially after his mind blowing performance in Oppenheimer

Fans gonna have a really really hard time accepting him as Antagonist. On top he needs to really bring out the best Doom ever to the screen for anyone to forget who’s behind the mask. There are many capable actors who can portray that role much more effectively, I was hoping it would be Cillian Murphy especially after his mind blowing performance in Oppenheimer

I was hoping for the fantastic four movie Doom tbh. He seemed cool. I mean the younger one
  • ButtehrsButtehrs Member Posts: 5,549 ★★★★★
    I feel it's a one off thing and someone else is the real doom and stark is just a variant.
  • XlebXleb Member Posts: 298
    They simply humiliated Doom. Imagine a version of Tony Stark who becomes Doctor Doom as a serious threat? Marvel really has run out of ideas...