New event ui is awful

Comments

• anggafkanggafk Member Posts: 9
    I like the new UI
  • SkunkcabbageSkunkcabbage Member Posts: 211 ★★
    Also just to test it I clicked "Ride Into The Battle Zone" and it takes over 3 seconds to do the new swipe animations and scroll animations before it gives control back to you to interact with the objectives.
    It feels frustrating having to sit there waiting around for so long now.
  • LightvayneLightvayne Member Posts: 518 ★★★
    I kinda like the new AI, the only issue I have is that it's not sorted by the event expiring first near the top
  • t123459t123459 Member Posts: 94
    HERU said:

@KabamDORK since we all feel you've been always caring for the community since the early Contest, please believe me when I say this criticism comes solely for helping improve.
    The new events UI looks cooler, but is a huge step backwards in term of usability. Maybe you realized it as well.

By working professionally with this kind of issues in the last 30 years, I can tell it was designed by game designers, but what MCOC really needs after so many years is a UX/UI designer to improve the user flow and reduce the cognitive overload. The new screen is cluttered, adds useless steps/clicks, compared to the previous one, before you're able to claim prizes, it uses a wrong hierarchy of visual/informative elements, does not provide a clear navigation and exit.

The Summary is that if Kabam wants to improve the user experience and make things easier and less frustrating for the users, they should change direction. Feel free to get in touch, in case my team could help you navigate through this with a quick UX research.

yep we really need an update
  • ahmynutsahmynuts Member Posts: 7,207 ★★★★★

I've made an idea for the UI. Get rid of "all events", get rid of the extra screen that needs to scroll up to claim rewards, add a claim all rewards button to save us time and I would prefer that.

Not bad adjustments. I'd also like for some things to be bigger and moved around like the entire rewards section, it's so small on that banner for no reason.
    Also maybe remove the backgrounds. It causes some form of information overload on the eyes
  • klobberintymeklobberintyme Member Posts: 1,533 ★★★★
    Pros:
    It's visually more stimulating, which is important when trying to entice new users who don't know of the prior interface to stick around, according to people pushing for such changes, er, new initiatives.

Layout-wise it maximizes and greatly improves the drill-down menu display, which is clearly where the effort went.

Cons:
    Every added graphic element outside of a "dumb" list requires added space on your device, added memory to run and an added responsibility for a person to create/qc/update for every event. One would argue the app is already overstuffed with elements, but memory leaks happen at any app size.

If you're a user who is just looking to click "Claim" you won't get past the first menu, so you'll be off-put for making a simple list needlessly busy.
  • hurricanthurricant Member Posts: 545 ★★★

I've made an idea for the UI. Get rid of "all events", get rid of the extra screen that needs to scroll up to claim rewards, add a claim all rewards button to save us time and I would prefer that.
    Oh and move the upcoming, current etc filter over to solo and alliance so it's in one place.

I think this is a great start. One thing I really liked about the old ui and hate about the new ui is this: people use their phones and ipads horizontally to play this game. The old ui had the solo and alliance events on top, and under that the events took up the whole screen left to right. Now they put the alliance and solo buttons on the left (for some reason) and it takes up space that could be used to show the events.

I also hate that "ongoing/completed/upcoming" buttons taking up space ON TOP OF THE EVENTS and there's empty space for it on the left, which you basically nailed with the tweaks here.

Another thing I dislike about this ui is because there are so many new graphics now, it's hard to see some of the text. They put words on top of pictures, and some of the pictures are white/light and the text is white so I have to squint to read it.

Lastly I want to respond to @RichTheMan who basically said I am saying "don't innovate, don't change things" which I wasn't. I am not against change. I am against BAD change. When kabam makes a HUGE change like this, where the ENTIRE UI is reworked and looks nothing like what we had, this is where there should be some period of beta testing and allowing users to revert to the old UI with a checkbox. Clearly I'm not the only one who hates this new ui. It is clunky, it is harder to find stuff, it makes claiming rewards harder than before, and there are legibility issues. They want to change the UI? Fine. Roll out a beta. Let users test it. Let users who hate it turn it off. Collect feedback from the community (and not a tiny focus group) and make changes based on feedback. Take your time rolling this out. Improve on it. Iterate. After some time, users may see their concerns are listened to and may start to like it once changes are made. Don't just spring this entirely new clunky confusing hard to use UI on everyone and be surprised there's not universal agreement that's it's totally amazing.
  • AsphyxiaAsphyxia Member Posts: 78
    I kinda like the new ui but it's kinda overturned to perfection but it's not close to being perfect while remaining basic and classic style. So I really want switchable system too. I stand for this.

-gasping asphyxia
  • Emilia90Emilia90 Member Posts: 3,340 ★★★★★
    I’m not a huge fan either. Please let us change it back
  • t123459t123459 Member Posts: 94
    Emilia90 said:

I’m not a huge fan either. Please let us change it back

hopefully

• EdisonLawEdisonLaw Member Posts: 6,077 ★★★★★
    t123459 said:

we should get the option to choose between the old and new design

This
  • digmeoutdigmeout Member Posts: 10
    I like the new design, and especially that I don't have to switch to multiple tabs to see what I have left to do.

However, I still do have to spend time looking at the scores to see what I still have left to do. It would be great if there was a filter that would filter out all events that are maxed out. Then it would be really easy for someone to see what they still have to do.

Thanks for working on enhancements!
  • MaxtheSilentMaxtheSilent Member Posts: 820 ★★★★
    My two cents is that I also don’t care for the change. It’s feels too busy for me. I’m open to a new UI but I’d prefer one that lighter in terms of color scheme and overall more simple in design. I wish I had more concrete ideas on how to improve but for what it’s worth o don’t care for this iteration.
  • JC10100JC10100 Member Posts: 53
    A piece of constrictive criticism: if it's not broken don't fix it...

The forums seem to be divided on the topic... It's easiest to just give an option to opt out of the UI like it was with the post fight UI a few years ago.
  • SkunkcabbageSkunkcabbage Member Posts: 211 ★★
    edited August 12
    digmeout said:

I like the new design, and especially that I don't have to switch to multiple tabs to see what I have left to do.

However, I still do have to spend time looking at the scores to see what I still have left to do. It would be great if there was a filter that would filter out all events that are maxed out. Then it would be really easy for someone to see what they still have to do.

Thanks for working on enhancements!

A "to do" for outstanding events would be awesome. I guess ranked stuff would still be relevant for people grinding so that would be the only potential issue.
  • ArmoredGhostArmoredGhost Member Posts: 156 ★★★
    Wouldn't a grid setup be better? Possibly a 3x3 with Icons and on those icons are symbols or initials indicating what they belong to. This way you could see everything at once instead of scrolling and simply choose what you want to focus on.

Loyalty could represent AW.
    "SQ" or "Monthly" for side quest events
    BG tokens for BG
    "22" for the daily events
    etc...

The new UI certainly looks pretty but is a step down in usability. I'd also rather "All events" be placed at the bottom while "Solo events" be prioritized because that is more important to me more often and what I would like to check instead of having all events clutter the space.
  • SaltyNuttzSaltyNuttz Member Posts: 8
    Don't bring the old UI back.. Improve this new UI.. People are giving good ideas here.. bring your paper and your pens and start taking notes..
  • Joker1976Joker1976 Member Posts: 664 ★★★
    Yeah was wondering if others felt the same about the changes.
    I preferred how it was before,.,much easier to navigate.
  • spiderknight616spiderknight616 Member Posts: 496 ★★★
    New UI looks good I think. I like the navigation bar on the left as it's easier to switch between tabs and i like all events consolidated in one but could definitely do with improvements

One is to increase the button size.

Colour code the banners or outline them to distinguish between solo and alliance (and realm in the future) events at a glance.

Have a "new!" pop-up when new events start

Honestly I think with the reception to the daily super event its return is a matter of when and not if. In which case the latter two points become irrelevant. Bigger buttons and text is definitely needed though.
  • BringPopcornBringPopcorn Member Posts: 4,292 ★★★★★
    edited August 12
    I mean its just a menu and UI, building a switch to the old version shouldn't be thaaaat hard...
    Matter of fact it wasn't pushed to everybody at the same time so there shouldn't be any conflict.