Serpent Really Isn’t Getting Rebalanced?

Comments

• HungaryHippoHungaryHippo Member Posts: 874 ★★★★
    PT_99 said:

ahmynuts said:

I've literally never turned off a Vega video before his serpent one. As soon as he said there was misinformation being spread with the implication that he was referring to Lagacy. I was gone. He lost me

Or maybe KT1 video as well
    Both of these legends went nuts for all the right reasons
    Have always respected KT as he has no interest in being in the “group” but Lags choice to always tell it as it is despite his affiliations is why he’s now my second favorite MCOC content creator.
  • ItsClobberinTimeItsClobberinTime Member Posts: 5,369 ★★★★★

NONYABIZZ said:

Serpent shouldn't be countering the mystic class. Class relationships and masteries should not be messed with.
    His kit is so rigged that everyone has forgotten his special attacks being undexable from the start 😂

So do you want them to change Magneto too?
    Magneto doesn't shut down the entire tech class just the metal ones that aren't immune to aar which a bunch of them are. Serpent is immune to anything the mystic class throws at him, even neutralize is like flipping a coin, nice try though.
    That's not the point. The comment was "Class relationships and masteries should not be messed with". If that's the case, Magneto shouldn't have that ability either.

I know you love to try and prove me wrong but you're twisting what I was replying to.
    I didn't twist anything, the reason that's not busted in Magneto is because class relationships aren't 100% messed with such as with Serpent. There's a noticeable difference between both but you're just here to defend Kabam so I guess it doesn't really matter what I say, it's just wild how you've been at this for years and I've never seen you disagree with Kabam ever, not even once. The lack of self-awareness is insane, get well soon.
    Again... I wasn't replying to whether Magneto or Serpent are busted/not busted. Try actually reading what I said and what I replied to.
    And I told you that class relationships shouldn't be messed with if they're completely shutting down the class the way Serpent does which isn't the same as Magneto, what's not clicking?
    What you said and what the person I was replying to, aren't the same thing. I didn't reply to your comment. I replied to someone else. They didn't mention anything to what you said.

I was replying to a specific thing they said. They said class relationships shouldn't be messed with. Not "class relationships shouldn't be messed with unless it only affects part of the opposite class and not the whole class".

I wasn't talking to you originally but you're trying to add things that wasn't even part of my comment. This isn't the "gotcha" moment that you want it to be. You literally had to add more just to make your argument.
    I'm adding more because you can't just generalize like that, you or the other person.
  • startropicsstartropics Member Posts: 729 ★★★★

not gonna lie, i like it when kabam doesn't listen to us and just stick to their goals. they're not always right but most of the time they are and if history is any indication, the outrage is temporary and the game moves on.

Kabam ignoring community feedback makes them come off as arrogant if anything, especially when the response is utter silence. Kabam is very knowledgeable of their own game I’m sure, but there are a lot of smart players in the community with opinions worth taking into consideration. It’s also pretty telling when the community is mostly unified on a topic. For specifics from the polls I’ve seen made it seems to be between a 75-25 and 80-20 ration of nerf to not nerf. Gotta keep in mind there’s players advocating for him to stay the same out of purely subjective reasons such as them owning a high rank serpent.

They gave no explanation as to why they found him fair, and no proof of their claims about him being “healthy” being true. We’re basically just being ignored.
    just because they're not rushing in with a response doesn't mean they're ignoring us. i'm guessing they will chime in with something when this dies down a bit, but nothing will soothe us anyway.

and what kind of response do you expect? "guys, calm down. things are evolving, we've got ideas cooked up behind the scenes, change is good, it will be ok".

some of us are acting like a space alien dropped serpent off on earth and there's nothing we can do about it. kabam has full control over the game's rules so there will 100% be solutions in the future and everything will balance out and be normal again like it always is.

we're the same bunch of buffoons that wanted absorbing man nerfed when he was launched because he was a big meanie (not SOS, way before it).

it will balance out. it will be ok. it always is.

not gonna lie, i like it when kabam doesn't listen to us and just stick to their goals. they're not always right but most of the time they are and if history is any indication, the outrage is temporary and the game moves on.

it's been said that kabam intends on stretching this game out another 10 years and judging by how cautious they're being with some things like rank up materials and last year's banquet, you can tell that they're serious.

i hate fighting serp and bullseye (that's right, i'm a scrub!) in BGs and serpent is currently a terrible design but we have no idea what's in the works at kabam with character, kit, and class development. maybe we should give it a chance before busting out our phony baloney threats.

Maybe if DLL hadn't said that there will be no such thing as hard counters that completely shut off defenders, people wouldn't be as worried as they are.

Also no idea why you want Kabam to ignore everything the playerbase says, you're literally the one playing the game just like the rest of us. You're encouraging something that's unhealthy for the most part and has been killing a lot of the fun for most of us lately for absolutely no reason really.
    the thing is...we're totally clueless about what's going on at kabam.

all we see is a problem (a legitimate one in our eyes) and demand immediate solutions. that's not how the game works. it could take 1-2 years for them to slowly revitalize how classes, kits, and mechanics work. and it could be better for the game and for us overall.

we don't know....BECAUSE WE DON'T KNOW.
    kabam are the creators of a long term ever-evolving chess game with upcoming pieces and sometimes evolving rules and we're complaining about stuff that we don't even know about. is that reasonable?

if i'm being a shill...tell me why. i'm willing to listen.
  • NightheartNightheart Member Posts: 2,041 ★★★★

kabam are the creators of a long term ever-evolving chess game with upcoming pieces and sometimes evolving rules and we're complaining about stuff that we don't even know about. is that reasonable?

if i'm being a shill...tell me why. i'm willing to listen.

I have learnt to accept this decision because I have decided to find ways to deal with this Serpent problem with existing champs until we get more champs that deal with him the hard way. Even tho I wish something was done like it was for Bullseye it's a wall that can be broken down. As least in BG we have the ban button.
  • DemonzfyreDemonzfyre Member Posts: 21,753 ★★★★★

NONYABIZZ said:

Serpent shouldn't be countering the mystic class. Class relationships and masteries should not be messed with.
    His kit is so rigged that everyone has forgotten his special attacks being undexable from the start 😂

Magneto doesn't shut down the entire tech class just the metal ones that aren't immune to aar which a bunch of them are. Serpent is immune to anything the mystic class throws at him, even neutralize is like flipping a coin, nice try though.
    That's not the point. The comment was "Class relationships and masteries should not be messed with". If that's the case, Magneto shouldn't have that ability either.

I know you love to try and prove me wrong but you're twisting what I was replying to.
    I didn't twist anything, the reason that's not busted in Magneto is because class relationships aren't 100% messed with such as with Serpent. There's a noticeable difference between both but you're just here to defend Kabam so I guess it doesn't really matter what I say, it's just wild how you've been at this for years and I've never seen you disagree with Kabam ever, not even once. The lack of self-awareness is insane, get well soon.
    Again... I wasn't replying to whether Magneto or Serpent are busted/not busted. Try actually reading what I said and what I replied to.
    And I told you that class relationships shouldn't be messed with if they're completely shutting down the class the way Serpent does which isn't the same as Magneto, what's not clicking?
    What you said and what the person I was replying to, aren't the same thing. I didn't reply to your comment. I replied to someone else. They didn't mention anything to what you said.

I was replying to a specific thing they said. They said class relationships shouldn't be messed with. Not "class relationships shouldn't be messed with unless it only affects part of the opposite class and not the whole class".

I wasn't talking to you originally but you're trying to add things that wasn't even part of my comment. This isn't the "gotcha" moment that you want it to be. You literally had to add more just to make your argument.
    I'm adding more because you can't just generalize like that, you or the other person.
    Sorry, I didn't realize you had rules that I had to follow.
  • DNA3000DNA3000 Member, Guardian Posts: 19,292 Guardian
    ESF said:

DNA3000 said:

ESF said:

Buttehrs said:

ESF said:

NONYABIZZ said:

NONYABIZZ said:

Magneto was and should be the only exception given the nature of his powers. Serpent has ABSOLUTELY no reasonable explanation of him being able bypass the ENTIRE MYSTIC CLASS.
    This all started with mystic defenders slowly becoming nullify immune, then it went on to fateseal then stagger we let it slide because alot of people on here were defending kabam and explaining how cosmic defenders need It or else any mystic would be able to take them out easily. It wasn't that big of a deal because tigra started gaining popularity for her neutralize which was our escape from big cosmic mystic countering threats. We let it slide but now SERPENT is able to BYPASS EVERY MYSTIC ABILITY and kabam has now introduced a science champion who has UNCLEANSABLE debuffs, this could only be the beginning of more skill countering science champions. If the community does not start stating their disapproval on these things, it will only continue just like the photon undexable specials which we let slide because she was a well rounded champion and 2023 champions were mostly HITS and now we have serpent.
    Photon started the willpower mastery tampering, now we had onslaught as if his special attacks weren't hard enough to dex and the UNAVOIDABLE neuroshock damage you took by making one mistake weren't enough, he also punishes you for PARRYING(which is a mastery itself and a skill we all learnt) which now shuts of willpower as well in the process).
    We then had bullseye who also punished you for DEXING with the instant bleeds(thank GOD it got removed), then dust who shuts off WILLPOWER AS WELL and now serpent. This has got to stop please...
    So they shouldn't introduce any new challenges within Champion kits for the duration of the game? I think that's called Candy Crush.
    See, it’s this kind of Straw Man that actually hurts legitimate, honest and fair criticism.

Nobody is talking about “the duration of the game.” We’re talking a specific kit with a specific set of mechanics.

He gave specific examples of what game design can turn into when various accepted rules of the game being played start being disregarded — anything can be coded into the game to make it challenging, but that doesn’t make it fair.

You mentioned Magneto, whose status as a character/kit that is effective against Metal is simply an outlier even in the lore — the character itself is one that Sentinels have never really had an answer for. It’s the CHARACTER, not the KIT.

In this case, the kit is specifically designed with multiple carveouts meant to disregard class traits. That is not even remotely the same
    The KITs are based on the CHARACTERs. They're one and the same. They're also two completely different things as one is a comic book story the other is a video game. Can't have it both ways and you also can't just make em interchangeable with each other. That's not how it works.
    What are you saying? I am totally confused. It’s a video game that primarily uses comic book characters, and the rules for the vast, vast, vast majority of those characters comes from the lore of the comics.

But the game has clearly established rules — you can’t have the game tout its “RPG Elements” when anyone who has ever played an RPG knows that the character encounters are ALWAYS based on rules.

Everyone understands that the Class Wheel and the traits are the rules of THIS GAME. We also understand that means in this game, yeah, Black Cat can actually beat the Hulk with a whole bunch of Bleeds.

No one came in here and said, “You know, I am really uncomfortable with Black Cat soloing Overseers armed with a Cosmic Cube. Nerf that kit.”

Because we do get that it’s a game, and if a Skill kit is tough on a Science kit, I get it. We all get it. Purify and cleanse and bleed and etc., all day long.

How, exactly, is Serpent adhering to the rules of the game, as a Cosmic character with overall immunity to Fate Seal, specific immunities of Stagger and Nullify only to serve a specific mechanic, and enhanced resistance to Neutralize?
    In every RPG game I've ever played, no "RPG rule' was ever absolute. There was never a Rock Always Beats Scissors rule. There were always exceptions to those rules. More importantly, even calling them exceptions implies the rules were absolute but with carve out exceptions. That was not generally the case. Rather, the rules dictated how things worked in general, as a kind of baseline, but with a lot of room for more complexity, and different rules and effects interacted in different, sometimes complex ways.

Take the all time classic MMORPG class rule of Tank, DPS, Heal. Even there, most games evolved those classes so that tanks could sometimes do significant damage, healers could sometimes tank, DPS could sometimes offer support. The idea that those roles should be black and white and absolute, and bending them hurt the games because they weakened those roles and made teaming redundant is an argument I participated in literally hundreds of times. Most of the time the absolutists were ultimately on the losing side of that argument, because absolute rules like that are ultimately more stifling than beneficial.

There was never really a time in MCOC where Mystic > Cosmic was an absolute rule. In the old days, class identity was so weak that there was no way to enforce the rule. There was just class advantage and that was it. These days class identities are more complex than just the class definitions, and because they are more complex, interactions between champions follow more complex rules than just the class identity relationships. Class relationships are more general rules of thumb, but with a ton of divergences.

And not only is there no rule prohibiting exceptions to class relationships, there's actually a very good reason for the rule to be explicitly broken. My recollection is that Kabam did mention this somewhere, but I can't think of where. Regardless, the reason why class relationships cannot be absolute is because in an era where the game has movedd to more RPG-like game mechanics and difficulty design, absolute class relationships hurt the primary reason why kabam is doing RPG-like design in the first place: roster checks. They want content to challenge players' rosters. They want content where the counter to this is that, and possessing the best counters offers significant advantages. This has to be tempered, of course, you don't want most content to be too restrictive, but it also doesn't make sense for counters to be so ubiquitous that everyone always has the best counters all the time available. That makes the whole enterprise meaningless.

Basically, if Mystic always beats Cosmic, and Cosmic always beats Tech, and so on, then that means you can't make a Cosmic defender that particularly challenges anyone's roster, because all Mystics would work. So you want design room to make champs that rely on specific mechanics that are not completely widespread. Mechanics strongly associated with class identity are, by definition, very widespread. Average defenders can be reasonably taken down by an entire class of champion. But deliberately hard defenders require a more restrictive set of counters.
    “Always” is working really hard here — I am not saying every Mystic character needs to be able to beat every Cosmic character.

Guillotine doesn’t have Neutralize or Stagger. Absorbing Man doesn’t have Fate Seal. So on and so forth. So yeah, I actually am pretty aware that not only is it obvious Mystic doesn’t always beat or is the best use-case against Cosmic, in this specific use case, it is obvious that every single Mystic wouldn’t have the tools to beat Serpent.

Which is the point.

Nobody, including me, is begging for a catch-all for an entire class to beat a 5/5 defender.

What I am saying is that it’s absolutely ridiculous to have that kit have plenty of Cosmic strengths but specific carveouts for multiple Cosmic weaknesses — you can’t truly believe four carveouts for this specific kit is “fair.”

I feel like I am taking crazy pills with this conversation — they literally carved out the exceptions because these are the rules. No one is saying “Hey! Why can’t Iron Fist beat the Serpent?! He’s Mystic!!!”
    To be honest, the reason why I mostly stayed out of this conversation until it had time to work itself out is precisely for this reason. You claim Serpent is "breaking the rules." When I make reasonable assumptions about what those rules even are, you're quick to nit pick them.

So you tell me: by what design justification do you claim there is a rule that says Cosmic champs should always be vulnerable to fate seal, stagger, and nullify? How do you justify this statement: "how, exactly, is Serpent adhering to the rules of the game, as a Cosmic character with overall immunity to Fate Seal, specific immunities of Stagger and Nullify only to serve a specific mechanic, and enhanced resistance to Neutralize? What rule is he breaking? Because I'm not going to give you the benefit of the doubt, if the fact you aren't actually making a complete argument is something you're going to treat as a strength and not a weakness.

Serpent is breaking no explicit game design rule I'm aware of, and no explicit rule you've stated, and I will now assume that if you don't articulate one, it is because you don't actually know of one and are hoping no one notices.

And by the way, when you say "Everyone understands that the Class Wheel and the traits are the rules of THIS GAME" what exactly do you mean by that. Because apparently not everyone understands that. Either you don't, or I don't.
    BigBlueOx said:

I’m not too hung up on the class relationship side of things outside of the fact that he counters every current mystic ability except atrophy that could stop him, the rarest ability in the class and also one that is currently underpowered to actually be significant and found in kits that don’t really work well on attack…

So basically we need an atrophy attacker that deals high damage and has such a high powered version of atrophy that every buff on a timer becomes irrelevant. Sounds like a really healthy option for the game.

Shathra has atrophy and really solid damage HOWEVER if the damage is burst then she will absolutely suck against him, if it's dot we might have the best counter so far joining the game soon which could alleviate some of these issues but is still unhealthy on the long run imo. We'll see once that deep dive is out, praying it is dot since the red numbers were popping up way too fast to be burst damage but I could be wrong of course.
  • BigBlueOxBigBlueOx Member Posts: 2,008 ★★★★★

BigBlueOx said:

I’m not too hung up on the class relationship side of things outside of the fact that he counters every current mystic ability except atrophy that could stop him, the rarest ability in the class and also one that is currently underpowered to actually be significant and found in kits that don’t really work well on attack…

So basically we need an atrophy attacker that deals high damage and has such a high powered version of atrophy that every buff on a timer becomes irrelevant. Sounds like a really healthy option for the game.

Shathra has atrophy and really solid damage HOWEVER if the damage is burst then she will absolutely suck against him, if it's dot we might have the best counter so far joining the game soon which could alleviate some of these issues but is still unhealthy on the long run imo. We'll see once that deep dive is out, praying it is dot since the red numbers were popping up way too fast to be burst damage but I could be wrong of course.
    One could almost believe that her damage was made to be burst so she couldn’t directly counter him at this point.
    BigBlueOx said:

BigBlueOx said:

One could almost believe that her damage was made to be burst so she couldn’t directly counter him at this point.
    I wouldn't be surprised if it's burst and in fact I am expecting it to be burst, dot is way too good to be true lmao.
  • Viper198787Viper198787 Member Posts: 581 ★★★★
    edited August 31
    BigBlueOx said:

BigBlueOx said:

It’s probably burst damage with a mechanic similar to Prowler. He deals a bunch of big red numbers back to back when all those ruptures “burst”.
  • Emilia90Emilia90 Member Posts: 3,333 ★★★★★

BigBlueOx said:

BigBlueOx said:

I wouldn't be surprised if it's burst and in fact I am expecting it to be burst, dot is way too good to be true lmao.
    If it’s dot I’m buying her featureds. She looks good as is tbh but I really want her to be good for serpent
    Emilia90 said:

BigBlueOx said:

BigBlueOx said:

If it’s dot I’m buying her featureds. She looks good as is tbh but I really want her to be good for serpent
    If it's dot I will get the pre-release bundle as well. Someone pointed out it looks a lot like Prowler's bursts and if that is the case then bummer cause she will suck for Serpent but if Kabam is generous for the first time this year and her damage is dot indeed then yeah, I'm gonna get that pre release and she goes straight to r6 sig 200. The atrophy and the power steal already address the main pain points all she needs is to be able to play around that dread and she could be the best.

Now that I think about it, this might've been the plan all along. Leave him as is and force people to spend a **** ton of money to get 7* Shathra... Smart, evil sure but smart.