Serpent Really Isn’t Getting Rebalanced?

Comments

• captain_rogerscaptain_rogers Member Posts: 7,869 ★★★★★

In my last bg match I left an r4 serpent go unbanned, and it was funny to watch my opponent speedrun picking him then placing him on round 1 even after I drafted wiger. People so obviously wait and pray for serpent to pop up in their draft if he’s not banned, then celebrate soon as they see him. Who cares that I ended up drafting a counter they just place him anyway lol. It was his mistake and I ended up winning, but many other times that’s not the case.

This is exactly the type of brain dead strategy that serpent brings to the game mode. No thinking required, just pray that serpent shows up in the draft and place him immediately. No other champ in the game does that, maybe bullseye on release but that changed quickly. I still fail to see how this is supposedly “healthy” for the game.

I always do it lmao.

If I get to draft serpent and opponent doesn't, All I do is concentrate on winning the first match, Since the second match is autoWin for me 95% of the times.
    Yea that’s pretty much how it is. I at least understand it from your pov since you have him at r3 and decently sigged. But for someone to do that over an r4 6*?💀 I couldn’t help but laugh inside a little bit.

It’s not like there’s never champs who are instant round wins, my r3 domino is a guaranteed win if they don’t draft a counter. But that last part is important. If they draft a a red skull or guardian suddenly I have to think twice about my original strategy. If someone drafts a serpent counter I don’t have to care.
    r4 6* still launches a sp3, and most of the times you still won't survive. r4 6* serpent with a counter is as difficult (or easy) as 7* r3 domino with a counter 😤. He is truly broken in bg defense.
  • Nemesis_17Nemesis_17 Member Posts: 2,136 ★★★★★

In my last bg match I left an r4 serpent go unbanned, and it was funny to watch my opponent speedrun picking him then placing him on round 1 even after I drafted wiger. People so obviously wait and pray for serpent to pop up in their draft if he’s not banned, then celebrate soon as they see him. Who cares that I ended up drafting a counter they just place him anyway lol. It was his mistake and I ended up winning, but many other times that’s not the case.

This is exactly the type of brain dead strategy that serpent brings to the game mode. No thinking required, just pray that serpent shows up in the draft and place him immediately. No other champ in the game does that, maybe bullseye on release but that changed quickly. I still fail to see how this is supposedly “healthy” for the game.

I always do it lmao.

If I get to draft serpent and opponent doesn't, All I do is concentrate on winning the first match, Since the second match is autoWin for me 95% of the times.
    Yea that’s pretty much how it is. I at least understand it from your pov since you have him at r3 and decently sigged. But for someone to do that over an r4 6*?💀 I couldn’t help but laugh inside a little bit.

It’s not like there’s never champs who are instant round wins, my r3 domino is a guaranteed win if they don’t draft a counter. But that last part is important. If they draft a a red skull or guardian suddenly I have to think twice about my original strategy. If someone drafts a serpent counter I don’t have to care.
    r4 6* still launches a sp3, and most of the times you still won't survive. r4 6* serpent with a counter is as difficult (or easy) as 7* r3 domino with a counter 😤. He is truly broken in bg defense.
    The only reason I didn’t eat an sp3 against an r4 was because I got nice ai that threw a special during death immunity. If I didn’t get that I was cooked since I fat fingered my relic earlier lol. So dumb to have to rely on the ai to determine a win or a loss.
  • SquidopusSquidopus Member Posts: 250 ★★★
    Well we got an answer. Not the one I wanted but it’s also the answer I 100% knew we were gonna get. Regardless, I appreciate the response Crashed.

I just hope that the balance team has read enough of what’s going on here to understand what I consider to be many valid perspectives on the situation. I personally wasn’t complaining in this thread and others to try to get the team to reverse the decision because I knew fully well it wasn’t gonna happen. I was doing so in the hopes that the balancing team would see our points and not do something like this in the future. Serpent defines the meta to an IMO unhealthy extent in bgs and, while he won’t destroy the mode because he’ll have counters released eventually (Shathra looks like the start of that), I don’t think it can be the standard method of making good defenders going forward. If we don’t have another situation like this again, well that’s the victory I was looking for.
  • ItsClobberinTimeItsClobberinTime Member Posts: 5,369 ★★★★★
    Mirac1e said:

No matter what we do kabam decision was final sucks that we can’t change it cause he really does need a nerf especially since skill isn’t rewarded against him

what? are you saying that
    Emilia90 said:

EdisonLaw said:

It’s time kabam atleast noticed this or atleast acknowledges its here. @KabamDORK

@Kabam Crashed @Kabam Pinwheel
    I don't have time to read all 26 pages of this thread but I read a lot of it and since you tagged me I will say what I know. The thread's title answers its own question, Serpent really isn't getting rebalanced.

I had no idea whether or not he would be rebalanced until I read the forum post. I could have asked our balance team but I didn't bother. Why? Because I was agnostic to the results. If they had said he was too strong and needed to be rebalanced, I would have trusted them. They concluded he is having the meta impact that was intended, and I trust them.

So for me now it's about getting better fighting him and strategizing in Battlegrounds based on the meta (either ban him or include enough counters that I can deal with him). Right now I have been banning him but I just duped my Luke yesterday so I might start leaving him open to see if it gives me an advantage.

I don't really think there is anything else for me to say. The balance post is the team's official position.
    I think this stance is fundamentally flawed. You have top players and a lot of others who regularly finish very highly in BG and other aspects of the game telling you that the champ is broken and his so called counters are in short supply and take loads of time to finish, resulting in a pretty much guaranteed loss

To quote Slayer, data isn’t god. If the team looking at the data and saying oh serpent looks fine when he’s not, and people who actually play the game far more know that, it’s a pretty big problem. This isn’t another bullseye or photon situation, Serpent is genuinely unbalanced.

You shouted out Luke (congrats on the dupe by the way) but he still takes a long time to kill serpent, and so does every other existing champ in the game. If the solution is just “ban him” that’s not good. And it’s not like he’s skill based in the slightest.

But I guess he’s staying as is. Bad decision to alienate people like that imo but I guess we just have to wait until you guys make good counters
    No way im ranking up my Luke cage for serpent lol, he will be too slow outside this victory track meta..
    Recently took mine to r2, 100% agree he is way too slow and he does need awakening so he can stay aggressive and eat one sp3 at least.
  • BigBlueOxBigBlueOx Member Posts: 2,013 ★★★★★
    Absolute 💯, W of a reply from
    Nemesis. I couldn’t agree more or applaud this louder. Great summation of the concerns.

@Kabam Crashed - You resolving this is appreciated, it’s a disappointing but expected outcome at this point. I hope some feedback can be provided to the team about not letting things fester in the future, as it did here. And hopefully we can keep Serpent’s design philosophy in a box that’s an N of 1. Great he accomplished the goal the team had, but it’s disingenuous to say it’s a balanced landing spot. Other defenders further devaluing this skill will really hurt the skill based elements of the Contest.
  • NONYABIZZNONYABIZZ Member Posts: 429 ★★★
    edited September 6
    Why is this thread still going?
    Serpent is not getting rebalanced and that's final.
    Complaining will not alter the outcome.
    Eventually he will die down as we get better and more champs who work for him get added and discovered, JUST LIKE EVERY OTHER DEFENDER before and after him.
    (You can disagree, but what's done is done)
  • ChiefGoatChiefGoat Member Posts: 157 ★★
    Hahaha no
    BigBlueOx said:

Absolute 💯, W of a reply from
    Nemesis. I couldn’t agree more or applaud this louder. Great summation of the concerns.

@Kabam Crashed - You resolving this is appreciated, it’s a disappointing but expected outcome at this point. I hope some feedback can be provided to the team about not letting things fester in the future, as it did here. And hopefully we can keep Serpent’s design philosophy in a box that’s an N of 1. Great he accomplished the goal the team had, but it’s disingenuous to say it’s a balanced landing spot. Other defenders further devaluing this skill will really hurt the skill based elements of the Contest.

Appreciate the kind words man. While I don’t expect it I hope it’s at least acknowledged or taken note of for future champ designs. I think the concerns listed there are pretty reasonable.
    NONYABIZZ said:

Eventually he will die down as we get better and more champs who work for him get added and discovered, JUST LIKE EVERY OTHER DEFENDER before and after him.

Bruh Crashed just responded and a few people replied to him. If you come back in another week and this thread is still active then fine you have a point. But geez it’s been barely over an hour since crashed’s response
  • BigBlueOxBigBlueOx Member Posts: 2,013 ★★★★★
    NONYABIZZ said:

Say you missed the point without saying it.
  • ContestOfNoobsContestOfNoobs Member Posts: 1,557 ★★★★
    Alright guys I got a 7* count nefarious, I’m here to destroy all the serpents !!

I wish they let us spend $400 to get a garanteed shathra, but I think she will be a better counter.
  • EakomoEakomo Member Posts: 75

EdisonLaw said:

It’s time kabam atleast noticed this or atleast acknowledges its here. @KabamDORK

I don't have time to read all 26 pages of this thread but I read a lot of it and since you tagged me I will say what I know. The thread's title answers its own question, Serpent really isn't getting rebalanced.

I had no idea whether or not he would be rebalanced until I read the forum post. I could have asked our balance team but I didn't bother. Why? Because I was agnostic to the results. If they had said he was too strong and needed to be rebalanced, I would have trusted them. They concluded he is having the meta impact that was intended, and I trust them.

So for me now it's about getting better fighting him and strategizing in Battlegrounds based on the meta (either ban him or include enough counters that I can deal with him). Right now I have been banning him but I just duped my Luke yesterday so I might start leaving him open to see if it gives me an advantage.

I don't really think there is anything else for me to say. The balance post is the team's official position.
    "I have been banning him", sounds about right... It is absolutely insane to me that even a Kabam employee admits the best strategy against Serpent is the ban button yet the rebalance team thinks this is perfectly fine.
    You guys need to get a new rebalance team then cause they're not doing their job.
    serpent is that champ that will get picked all the time, had a bg match today saw a r4 serpent and thought maybe the rng wouldn't give them the serpent.

of course they got it and i had no counters cause the only mystic champ that managed to show up my entire draft was mangog. serpent is such a fun and interactive champion.

r3 gorr not being able to do **** against him is just fun :smile:
  • ItsClobberinTimeItsClobberinTime Member Posts: 5,369 ★★★★★
    Eakomo said:

EdisonLaw said:

"I have been banning him", sounds about right... It is absolutely insane to me that even a Kabam employee admits the best strategy against Serpent is the ban button yet the rebalance team thinks this is perfectly fine.
    You guys need to get a new rebalance team then cause they're not doing their job.
    serpent is that champ that will get picked all the time, had a bg match today saw a r4 serpent and thought maybe the rng wouldn't give them the serpent.

of course they got it and i had no counters cause the only mystic champ that managed to show up my entire draft was mangog. serpent is such a fun and interactive champion.

r3 gorr not being able to do **** against him is just fun :smile:
    Same here, my luck is so bad whenever I don't ban Serpent, I have two counters in my deck at the moment and one of them is banned 80% of the time.
  • Mirac1eMirac1e Member Posts: 48

EdisonLaw said:

Sometimes I really sympathize with the content design team. They've been putting in a tremendous amount of effort recently, constantly delivering new features and improvements. Yet, all that work feel diminished when the balance team’s decisions lead to riot and frustrations within the community.