Alliance War Season Rewards for Season 13 have now been distributed. Compensation for individual Wars will be sent later today (Nov 20). You can leave your alliance and still receive the individual Wars Compensation. We are also investigating an issue with Champions stuck in AQ. At the moment Days 1-4 of Honor Rewards have been paid out, Day 5 and full Rewards are still coming!

Any of these mediocre 5*s worth catalysts?

SevSynSevSyn Posts: 64
edited January 2018 in Strategy and Tips
My Top Champs:
4* Spider-Man(Stark Enhanced)(*5/50)
4* Blade(*5/50)
4* Ghost Rider(*5/50)
4* Hulk(*5/50)
4* ArchAngel(*5/50)
4* Iceman(*5/50)
4* Dr. Voodoo (*5/50)
4* Magik (*5/50)


Current Progression completed:
Road to Labyrinth complete
Act 4 100%
Act 5, Chapter 2.3 complete


I have been quite unlucky on my 5* draws:
Ant Man
Luke Cage
Black Panther (original)
Spider Gwen
Howard the Duck
*Ronan* (duped)
Iron Fist
Wolverine (X-23)
Night Crawler
Gambit


Situationally, I can see use for Gambit/Nightcrawler on Alliance War Defense... though I would prefer to focus on a usable offensive Champion (to finish Act 5, Chapter 2 ... maybe work toward Chapter 3 & 4).
X-23 seems promising, but with my synergies as they are set-out... I am on the fence about spending any T4s or alphas on X-23 since I haven't used her much.

Other options I am considering:
4* rank-up:
Thor (original) duped @ r4/40 (I have been unlucky chasing Hyperion & Medusa)
Hela duped @ r3/30
MODOK duped @ r3/30
Scarlet Witch duped r4/40 (sig 43)
Crossbones duped r3/30
Capt. America WWII duped r2/20
Quake - unduped r3/30
Gwenpool - unduped r3/30
Starlord - unduped r3/30
Void - unduped r20/20


Main Goal - become uncollected (finish Act 5.2.3-5.2.6) and maybe RoL
I have a better roster than I am currently capable of playing near top-level... I haven't had consistent time to play/practice. Yet, I am on the brink of Uncollected which could open better rewards for the time spent.

With the advent of 6*s, 5*s will be a necessity for coming content... yet my 12 pulls have been lack-luster thus far.
Are any of the below options decent?...
Am I overlooking any game-meta with my current 4*/5* options?
Am I underrating any of the 5*s that I do have?

Thank you in advance!

Any of these mediocre 5*s worth catalysts? 60 votes

Save catalysts for something to help progression
0%
5* Wolverine X-23 - unduped - rank up to r2/35
1%
Spidey 1 vote
5* Wolverine X-23 - unduped - rank up to r3/45
90%
RagamugginGunnerthetaman23cradlemanKenny292SMiller80SomeoneElsevg2782Juan3sBosko888670buffajrninexhelixScottryanSuperman69Random_NoobNomarigerolRichiesDad79TeddersGQuantaoStar_Lord_MasterTroller42 54 votes
5* Nightcrawler - unduped - rank up to 2/35 and learn to use him offensively with current roster-synergy
1%
RFrost 1 vote
5* duped Ronan - rank up to r2/35 - for a situational stun-lock + poison immune
3%
Xillymanzerogods 2 votes
5* Black Panther (original) - unduped - rank up to r2/35 or beyond... to act as a bridge until better 5* character in the future
0%
use on one of the above 4*s for a situational tool in Act 5 or RoL ... or synergy I am overlooking
3%
ZimBreynolds11 2 votes
«1

Comments

  • neeksbneeksb Posts: 24
    5* Wolverine X-23 - unduped - rank up to r3/45
    x23 will get you through RoL. plus guillotine for wolverine
  • neeksbneeksb Posts: 24
    edited January 2018
    5* Wolverine X-23 - unduped - rank up to r3/45
    and she helped me with a lot of content including 5.2, 5.3, uncollected events and I use her in AW


    EDIT: Hold up

    you have 4* R5 blade, sparky, ghost rider, Voodoo, Iceman and archangel. you can be uncollected and take care of RoL with them alone
  • 5* Wolverine X-23 - unduped - rank up to r3/45
    Rank 4* material unduped👌 can do LoL easy path
  • SevSynSevSyn Posts: 64
    edited January 2018
    neeksb wrote: »
    and she helped me with a lot of content including 5.2, 5.3, uncollected events and I use her in AW
    EDIT: Hold up
    you have 4* R5 blade, sparky, ghost rider, Voodoo, Iceman and archangel. you can be uncollected and take care of RoL with them alone

    That highlights my dilemma... given the roster, does X-23 make clearing content any easier due to unreliable regeneration... I'm not great at GhostRider's regen yet... and Blade I seem to roughly break even when I try to regen (because I take block damage and occasionally miss heavy-evade while regenerating). For the remainder of Act 5.2.3-5.2.6, I would like to try and make it through without using precious revive/heals/boosts... I'm not sure if different team-setup or ranking up a 5* would help in that regard... or if it is simply a case of much more practice & timing. Some of the nodes early in act 4 & act 5 had annoying degeneration, etc.
    Rank 4* material unduped👌 can do LoL easy path

    I have to get *much* better at parry, baiting & interrupts prior to LoL. I've been toying around in RoL for practice vs. Winter Soldier... and it is evident that I need to get the timing down. I don't know if it is device dependent... connection/lag... if screen protector is affecting, my fingers are too far away, etc. but when I watch videos, it seems those enemies are moving slower than on my device.
  • use on one of the above 4*s for a situational tool in Act 5 or RoL ... or synergy I am overlooking
    Gwenpool should be taken to rank 5...
  • SevSynSevSyn Posts: 64
    Gwenpool should be taken to rank 5...

    So which team of 5 would I pick?... which content is Gwenpool more useful than a current squad?
  • use on one of the above 4*s for a situational tool in Act 5 or RoL ... or synergy I am overlooking
    It all depends on the opponents you'll be facing on your path. Gwenpool has good damage output (armor breaks on special 3) abd can power control with special 2. Shes great in any fight where the opponent can bleed. As far as a best 5, i dont believe there will ever be a single best 5, but she would be taken in many quests
  • neeksbneeksb Posts: 24
    5* Wolverine X-23 - unduped - rank up to r3/45
    Good question. X23 would be the most useful for RoL because of dependable regen and her bleed/crits are just insane. But... shes not effective vs. scarlet witch because of poison and heal block. and of course you will need guillotine for wolverine (also AA can work against him)

    But to get through most of 5.2 its all about practice with nodes (especially bane) and baiting out specials and heavy attacks. X23 made it easier for me because her higher damage output, making matches quicker. (but shes not the best when going through the spiked armor path or anything requiring power control)

  • SevSynSevSyn Posts: 64
    Gwenpool ... great in any fight where the opponent can bleed. As far as a best 5, i dont believe there will ever be a single best 5, but she would be taken in many quests

    For a general event run ... like the Sentry Event for example... who would you use as a decent utility squad to go through unfamiliar content?
    Ex:
    Spark, Blade, Ghost + (AA, Ice, Voodoo, Magik, Hulk, Gwenpool?)
    neeksb wrote: »
    Good question. X23 would be the most useful for RoL because of dependable regen and her bleed/crits are just insane. But... shes not effective vs. scarlet witch because of poison and heal block. and of course you will need guillotine for wolverine (also AA can work against him)

    Would 5* X-23 have better damage output in RoL compared to Duped 5/50 AA (Sig 99)?

  • ZimZim Posts: 11
    edited January 2018
    use on one of the above 4*s for a situational tool in Act 5 or RoL ... or synergy I am overlooking
    Thor 4/40 duped : r5 : i do some path with him in my team for 5.3.1 to 5.4.6
    Gwenpool 3/30 unduped : r5 : like Thor
    X-23 unduped : r3 if you need it to finish act. 5 or for aq

    This is for act. 5. For rol , you can do it without problems with your 4r5 ( ghost rider , voodoo, archangel , ...)

    With the information you give, i think you need to have a good 5r4 and practice to do act. 5 without revives, boost...
  • neeksbneeksb Posts: 24
    5* Wolverine X-23 - unduped - rank up to r3/45
    Id have to say damage output potential will always go to AA. but for RoL, X23 will be better because for the bleed immune champs X23 will proc cruelty, while AA will not be able to use his neurotoxins. Also, you have room for mistakes with X23 because of her regen.
  • SevSynSevSyn Posts: 64
    Zim wrote: »
    With the information you give, you need to have 5r4 and practice to do act. 5 without revives, boost...

    This is what I am thinking too... Thank you Zim!
    Difficult to practice though... once the team dies mid-way or further through the event:
    it is difficult to give-up, expensive to continue
    None of the other content models Act 5 very well.
    RoL is good in order to get used to the mechanics of a few champions, since their Attack is low and HP boosted
    You get to practice the defense & counter-offense against certain guys (like Winter Soldier).
    Alliance War / Quest has similar mechanics to Act-4... but some of the Act 5 stuff certainly is... well... different.

    There certainly isn't as much variety in AQ/AW, so many of the Act 5 nodes you can't practice vs. that champion very well.

    Most versus events end too quickly to get used to the champion you are facing... and it is quite random whether you will face a champion you need practice against.

    Some champions are extremely easy for me to time/defend... others I can't seem to get enough practice or can't get the mechanics down well enough.

  • JadedJaded Posts: 1,820 ★★★★
    Don’t rank up anyone.
    Blade, gr, starky, aa and dv/iceman will clear act 5.2 & rol.

    If you HAVE to rank someone up do 5* x23.
  • BahamutBahamut Posts: 2,281 ★★★★
    5* Wolverine X-23 - unduped - rank up to r3/45
    IF is also worth leveling if you dupe him at some point but X23 is the best
  • SevSynSevSyn Posts: 64
    Jaded wrote: »
    Don’t rank up anyone.
    Blade, gr, starky, aa and dv/iceman will clear act 5.2 & rol.

    If you HAVE to rank someone up do 5* x23.

    This is the direction I was most inclined toward... yet, if I can get uncollected (i.e. better rewards) sooner ... then overall my progression would be more efficient.
    I think a combination of time/practice would get me through 5.2 (so far at the half-way point, it hasn't been too bad... i am anticipating the difficulty ramps-up precipitously though toward 5.2.6)
  • SevSynSevSyn Posts: 64
    neeksb wrote: »
    for the bleed immune champs X23 will proc cruelty, while AA will not be able to use his neurotoxins. Also, you have room for mistakes with X23 because of her regen.
    @neeksb Great insight / point! Thank you!

    I haven't looked into 5.2.4, 5.2.5, or 5.2.6 yet... I didn't want to get burnt out since 5.2.3 was quite tough for my current level of play & roster.

    I'm hoping that the last half of Act 5, Chapter 2 isn't too much more brutal than 5.2.2 & 5.2.3

  • DiablosUltimateDiablosUltimate Posts: 1,021 ★★★
    5* Wolverine X-23 - unduped - rank up to r3/45
    It is, as far as I recall 5.2.4 is where things get real actualy
  • neeksbneeksb Posts: 24
    5* Wolverine X-23 - unduped - rank up to r3/45
    522 and 523 are a walk in the park compared to 525 and 526. But in 525 you will be able to practice the bane node on moon knight with just 3 energy per attempt
  • SevSynSevSyn Posts: 64
    It is, as far as I recall 5.2.4 is where things get real actualy
    @DiablosUltimate
    practicing 5.2.4 currently... seems like no evade unless you are bleed immune or have regen.

    "The class Relationships on this Node are Reversed"
    The Role Reversal (on this sub chapter and last) seems odd...
    Traditional class bonus/penalty shown at "select your champion page"
    however
    Role Reversal Buff should "reverse" those... or am I misunderstanding the mechanics?





    neeksb wrote: »
    522 and 523 are a walk in the park compared to 525 and 526. But in 525 you will be able to practice the bane node on moon knight with just 3 energy per attempt
    @neeksb
    so far, penalty for miss-timed block is combo of death ...
    Odd behavior I have noticed occasionally: vs. the CPU's AI, sometimes the opponent can interrupt my combo. Yet, I have never been able to.
    Once hit, you are just along for the entire combo-ride... correct?
  • DiablosUltimateDiablosUltimate Posts: 1,021 ★★★
    5* Wolverine X-23 - unduped - rank up to r3/45
    Yes, it does not reflect it visualy in any way that classes are reversed, but you can tell that they are
  • SevSynSevSyn Posts: 64
    I've been playing with 5* X23 r1/25 ... the regen is no where near sufficient... anyone know how it ramps with level (unduped)? .... still a set 15% chance?... still only about 2k-3k health total over 4 seconds?
  • JadedJaded Posts: 1,820 ★★★★
    SevSyn wrote: »
    I've been playing with 5* X23 r1/25 ... the regen is no where near sufficient... anyone know how it ramps with level (unduped)? .... still a set 15% chance?... still only about 2k-3k health total over 4 seconds?

    Obviously it scales up in amount with rank up. Since there is no 5* wolverine, she’s great.
  • SevSynSevSyn Posts: 64
    edited January 2018
    I overlooked the critical aspect that the regeneration is linked to how much power you have stored in power meter...
    That fully explains why my initial assessment that X23's healing was too underwhelming to be viable.

    Will X23 require a high signature level to be functional?

    However, in the current game meta... as we are perpetually facing opponents with significantly higher attack damage...

    is X23 still relevant as an option to save health packs in Act 5?...

    or will she not make the cut on the team of top 5 due to specific match-up requirements?
  • JadedJaded Posts: 1,820 ★★★★
    SevSyn wrote: »
    I overlooked the critical aspect that the regeneration is linked to how much power you have stored in power meter...
    That fully explains why my initial assessment that X23's healing was too underwhelming to be viable.

    However, in the current game meta... as we are perpetually facing opponents with significantly higher attack damage...

    is X23 still relevant as an option to save health packs in Act 5?...

    or will she not make the cut on the team of top 5 due to specific match-up requirements?

    Your dv will likely carry you through regen wise. But tbh the more regen champs you have on your teams the better. That being said the majority of my teams had no regen champs just because I went with heavy hitters over regen. The faster the fight ended the better. My go to team was star lord, Hyperion, starky, magik & iceman.
  • Alpha07Alpha07 Posts: 649 ★★
    edited January 2018
    you don't deserve X23 if you put her as a mediocre champ. fact. lol.

    Nah, X-23 can serve you real well in AQ, Act 5 and even AW. she has lots of bleed damage and her regeneration is very useful in hard fights so she is worth ranking up. i have her as a 5*. after i took she up to r3 i started to like her even more than Wolvie. put Deep Wounds mastery 5/5 and watch any opponent fastly die. no need to use Specials.

    other thing. Gambit is HORRIBLE for Attack and Defense, so don't rank him up.
  • hydrogohardhydrogohard Posts: 159
    5* Wolverine X-23 - unduped - rank up to r3/45
    you dont deserve X-23 lol now these are mediocre champs here I havefd9xn3jzkcze.png
  • Alpha07Alpha07 Posts: 649 ★★
    my condolences. at least you got Hawkeye.

    Also you got a potential high damage, and stun lock machine if you dupe one of your champs.
  • SevSynSevSyn Posts: 64
    Alpha07 wrote: »
    you don't deserve X23 if you put her as a mediocre champ. fact. lol.

    Haha, true... she's not mediocre by any stretch. I guess what I meant was in the context of such scarce resources and costly upgrades for 5*s (still need to finish 5.2.4-5.2.6 before I can get a few more decent rewards).

    Under that lens, X-23 certainly wouldn't be anyone's top-pick if you had to chose only 1 character to rank-up. And X-23 isn't classically meta-defining (no unique ability that is essential which no other can provide). That said, I don't foresee much roster progress over the next several weeks... and was asking community input as to how beneficial it would be to spend all those resources on 5* unduped X-23... vs. sticking with some top-tier 4*s and waiting it out until I get a rare blessing from the RNG.

    I still have my generic 5* awakening gem from progression rewards... but I certainly won't be spending that on X-23 (which to me indicates X-23 isn't going to open a world of new possibilities for me.

    Since X-23's regen/damage scales with signature level... and I won't be awakening soon... I question whether 5.2.4+ content will be significantly different with a r3/45 X-23
    these are mediocre champs here I have
    yeah I hear you! I'm 12 pulls in and never had an exhilarating reaction to crystal spinning.
    Hawkeye would be a great option and versatile as he can help mitigate power while still laying down damage.


  • Alpha07Alpha07 Posts: 649 ★★
    edited January 2018
    SevSyn wrote: »
    Alpha07 wrote: »
    you don't deserve X23 if you put her as a mediocre champ. fact. lol.

    Haha, true... she's not mediocre by any stretch. I guess what I meant was in the context of such scarce resources and costly upgrades for 5*s (still need to finish 5.2.4-5.2.6 before I can get a few more decent rewards).

    Under that lens, X-23 certainly wouldn't be anyone's top-pick if you had to chose only 1 character to rank-up. And X-23 isn't classically meta-defining (no unique ability that is essential which no other can provide). That said, I don't foresee much roster progress over the next several weeks... and was asking community input as to how beneficial it would be to spend all those resources on 5* unduped X-23... vs. sticking with some top-tier 4*s and waiting it out until I get a rare blessing from the RNG.

    I still have my generic 5* awakening gem from progression rewards... but I certainly won't be spending that on X-23 (which to me indicates X-23 isn't going to open a world of new possibilities for me.

    Since X-23's regen/damage scales with signature level... and I won't be awakening soon... I question whether 5.2.4+ content will be significantly different with a r3/45 X-23


    Fair enough. if i was you i would just leave her at r3 and stop there then. IMO. she does fairly well in Act 5 to me. regenerates fairly well and finishes fights fast. be sure to have Deep Wounds 5/5. is hard though considering you have the Blade/Spark/GR team. but X-23 is still a very useful champ

    Also, X-23 Regen doesn't scale with sig level. that one is Wolverine. X-23 gets more crit damage when duped though. not a Game changer sig.
  • SevSynSevSyn Posts: 64
    Alpha07 wrote: »
    Also, X-23 Regen doesn't scale with sig level. that one is Wolverine. X-23 gets more crit damage when duped though. not a Game changer sig.

    Ahh, okay. Thank you! I think I may try R2 and or R3 once I get closer to expiring crystals. At a minimum, X-23 can be used among my roster when all others are tied-up in AQ/AW
Sign In or Register to comment.