**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.
Options

Its time to up the cut off for 5* featured arena from 150....

Kabam is there a timeline for the cut off in 5* arena to be increased? @Kabam Miike @Kabam Wolf @Kabam Lyra @Kabam Vydious @Kabam Zibiit

With scores increasing at a rapid rate for all 5* arenas let it be new champs or old champs, we need to re-evaluate the 150 cut off. It’s too low. Kabam please increase this to a more attainable number. Not asking for it to be like old 4* featured cut off but deff more than 150.

Thanks!!

Comments

• Options
    Almost 100 views and no grinders feel the same? 25M for a sh*t champ like beast is ridiculous.

Guess all the folks that put up 60M for OmegaRed and missed are still crying in a dark corner somewhere...
  • Options
    xNigxNig Posts: 7,250 ★★★★★
    edited September 2018
    Regardless of the number of spots, with the developing rosters, cutoffs will definitely get higher.

In a point cutoff system like that, it’s all up to the players to decide the cutoff.

For those who put up 60m for OR and missed, you have my apologies but #150 wanted the champ too and was willing to put up more points for him.
  • Options
    HeretodieHeretodie Posts: 126
    You want the newest champ pay the money or shut up, no one complained when 4* where going for 8 million and it was 24/3 grinds and boosts and selling a kidney. Guess what getting 5* shouldn’t be easy can those who want to spend are gonna spend and those who want to grind till their fingers are numb are gonna do that. In a pay to win system FTP my as well collect some milestones and relax.
  • Options
    ContestOfNoobsContestOfNoobs Posts: 1,454 ★★★★
    edited September 2018
    @MaRvEl_MoNsTeR
    As
    Someone who grinded 10+ 5* featured arena

If they made it top 200,250,500
    Someone will be the “cutoff” nomatter what.

People will always try to push harder.
    201,251,501 will be cutoff

Also had friends who missed outside 150+ mark.
    That feeling is horrible and i wouldnt want to be in those shoes, noone does.
    But again people see these scores and hear the stories and dont want to be that “guy” thats why people push to be “safe” but if the amount of people who actially grinded is less than 150, people will instantly regret not going for them.

Please take a look ar corvus 5* featured scores. he went for a low 16m 1st round. I didnt go for him but he recieved 0 hype and in the 2nd round i decided to just grind and got him for a mere 33m just to be added to roster. I just thought 30m was gona be the cutoff. Now we know how god tier corvus is for aw, and if we all knew how good he was gonna be, i believe he will set all time records.

People want these god tier atk/defenders. You cant blame human nature for people wanting the champion, its a race,competitionz

There has to be a cutoff and people will miss.

I did 6m back in the day for NC basic 4* it was only top 5* and...
    I didnt make it...ofcourse i was mad but that was when i had much smaller pool of 4* than what the veterans can do.
    Now that i have been playing for some time and have a roster,

can totally feel how someone who has 20-30 5* compare to someone like me who has 90 5* and 115 4*. And feel that they cant compete yet. Its not your time and you need to grow your roster.

I only really use 10 5* for Aq, aw atk/def and questing.
    But thats why they call them arena fodder.

Here is a post and i have said some things about my 5* grinds from barely making it.
    https://forums.playcontestofchampions.com/en/discussion/96907/5-featured-cutoffs-increasing-more-and-more#latest
  • Options
    ContestOfNoobsContestOfNoobs Posts: 1,454 ★★★★
    I think it may soon be time to put it more in line with the other Arenas. Perhaps Top 1-5%. Availabilities are rising, and the amount of Grinding is just as significant. Only the Points have increased because the Champs being used are higher. Of course, that's entirely up to them and what they want to set.

Its about 12m (a milestone also) only rank 1500-2500 ish.
    To garantee u a top 1-10%
    I have seen someone who did 10.5m to just be placed 10-20%. So it alll depends how many peope go for.

To get into the top 5%
    Maybe a 5* basic but not many people have time/roster to do 20m+

This will also devalue 5* in general.

i believe if they do this that arena will just be as brutal, cutoffs will increase and more people will cry about it being to high.
    Theres always people gonna be missing.

Just like 4* featured, if 801 people go all out someone will miss

Same thing with 5* featured is 151 people go all out to grind they will miss.

So if they do a top 5%..and older featured champs like beast went for 25m

Alot more people will go for champs.

If 5.01% of people go for said champ..that .01% person will miss.

• Options
    Captain_KandiceCaptain_Kandice Posts: 222 ★★
    People complained a lot when 4* were 8+ mil and top 200 or 400 or whatever it was. After every new champ featured arena the forums were full of people complaining about the rising scores. Eventually Kabam raised the cutoff.

As the 5* scores start to rise more and more people will complain more and more and eventually Kabam will raise the cutoff.

When that will be who knows? My guess after 6* have been around for a while and the desire/demand for 5* isn’t as high as it is right now.
  • Options
    I’m not a noob to arena by any means, put up 20M for 4* Dorm when he first came out. Have not missed one arena that I have gone for, but it is time to extend the cut off a bit.

If you have been doing arena for a while you also know how fast the scores drop after cut off. This should help the folks trying to get arena champs (aka sh*t champs) and not having too spend so much damn time.

With quest, dungeons, AQ, Ana AW, danger room, I am sure we can all agree how crazy it is at the moment for time management.
  • Options
    RaganatorRaganator Posts: 2,507 ★★★★★
    This arena hasn't even been around that long. No changes required.
  • Options
    IsItthoughIsItthough Posts: 254 ★★
    Curious to what you think, but would Kabam make more money if they set the champ as a milestone and set it at 45million, heck make it 60million. I wonder if that would entice more grinders and spenders knowing that there efforts weren't going to waste. I would never put that much time into the arena, but I have always thought the cutoff was a silly idea when people literally waste 3 days of their lives putting up ungodly numbers not to hit the cutoff.
  • Options
    GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Posts: 36,247 ★★★★★
    I think it may soon be time to put it more in line with the other Arenas. Perhaps Top 1-5%. Availabilities are rising, and the amount of Grinding is just as significant. Only the Points have increased because the Champs being used are higher. Of course, that's entirely up to them and what they want to set.

Its about 12m (a milestone also) only rank 1500-2500 ish.
    To garantee u a top 1-10%
    I have seen someone who did 10.5m to just be placed 10-20%. So it alll depends how many peope go for.

To get into the top 5%
    Maybe a 5* basic but not many people have time/roster to do 20m+

This will also devalue 5* in general.

i believe if they do this that arena will just be as brutal, cutoffs will increase and more people will cry about it being to high.
    Theres always people gonna be missing.

Just like 4* featured, if 801 people go all out someone will miss

Same thing with 5* featured is 151 people go all out to grind they will miss.

So if they do a top 5%..and older featured champs like beast went for 25m

Alot more people will go for champs.

If 5.01% of people go for said champ..that .01% person will miss.

Disagree. The value of 5*s is still the same. When the 5* Arena was invented, there was an intended rarity placed on the Featured. There's no reason why it couldn't be reevaluated after some time has passed. Top 1-5% is not a gross devalue. As it stands, the Champ goes to the same few who Rank 150 most times, with numbers significantly greater.
  • Options
    RagamugginGunnerRagamugginGunner Posts: 2,210 ★★★★★
    IsItthough wrote: »
    Curious to what you think, but would Kabam make more money if they set the champ as a milestone and set it at 45million, heck make it 60million. I wonder if that would entice more grinders and spenders knowing that there efforts weren't going to waste. I would never put that much time into the arena, but I have always thought the cutoff was a silly idea when people literally waste 3 days of their lives putting up ungodly numbers not to hit the cutoff.

They'd prolly make much less on FGMC sales. You can spend $500+ on them and not get a champ but to get to 45-60M would only be like $200-$300 depending on time.
  • Options
    Kabam is there a timeline for the cut off in 5* arena to be increased? @Kabam Miike @Kabam Wolf @Kabam Lyra @Kabam Vydious @Kabam Zibiit

With scores increasing at a rapid rate for all 5* arenas let it be new champs or old champs, we need to re-evaluate the 150 cut off. It’s too low. Kabam please increase this to a more attainable number. Not asking for it to be like old 4* featured cut off but deff more than 150.

Thanks!!

I don't really understand this complaint. 150 people get him. Everyone else doesn't. I don't know why its okay if 150 get him and everyone else doesn't if the cutoff is 40 million but not if it is 60 million. Kabam could reduce the points earned per fight in that arena to lower everyone's scores, but I don't see how that's helpful. But it would directly attack this idea that there exists a score that is "too high" for competitors to achieve.
  • Options
    DNA3000 wrote: »

Thanks!!

I don't really understand this complaint. 150 people get him. Everyone else doesn't. I don't know why its okay if 150 get him and everyone else doesn't if the cutoff is 40 million but not if it is 60 million. Kabam could reduce the points earned per fight in that arena to lower everyone's scores, but I don't see how that's helpful. But it would directly attack this idea that there exists a score that is "too high" for competitors to achieve.

The issue is that the arena has been out for a while now and before r5’s and 6* the scores were okish. However since then folks now have a ton of 6* for the spenders and everyone has at least 2/3 r5’s which the scores are getting bigger and bigger due to this. Just look at the scores before and after this last AW season. This puts the non spenders at a huge disadvantage. Arena has for the most part always been for grinders to be able to obtain heroes that spenders just “buy”.

Like it was said before the folks putting up 60M will still get the champ, however if they did 1-5% as suggested with less shards or only dupe level 1 instead of 20, it would be nice. Grinders are still going to use units due to changing masterys for AW, arena and some for AQ. The guys buying crystals are still going to buy them because they are impatient and want he champ now not a week later.

In the format it’s in now it’s gone from almost free to play to a true pay to play game.
  • Options
    DNA3000 wrote: »

Thanks!!

The issue is that the arena has been out for a while now and before r5’s and 6* the scores were okish. However since then folks now have a ton of 6* for the spenders and everyone has at least 2/3 r5’s which the scores are getting bigger and bigger due to this. Just look at the scores before and after this last AW season. This puts the non spenders at a huge disadvantage. Arena has for the most part always been for grinders to be able to obtain heroes that spenders just “buy”.

It was never the case that non-spenders were not at a significant disadvantage in the top featured arena. The place for the non-spenders to grind for a champ has always been the basic arena.
    In the format it’s in now it’s gone from almost free to play to a true pay to play game.

This is almost laughably false. It costs money to keep up with the top players of the game, and that's perfectly fine: someone has to keep the lights on. But it costs nothing to be one of the top ten percent of players of the game, say, and the amount of stuff you can get completely for free in this game makes it one of the best free to play games I've seen ever. It is hard to take seriously the complaint that the game is pay to play, when it literally can be played for free to basically the top ten percent of all players.

You don't want to get the top ten percent for free. You want the top 0.001% to be free. Laudable, but in a probably self-annihilating way.

At some point down the road, a 5* basic arena will probably materialize, and that will become the place for more grinders to get 5* champs directly, and that's fine also. It preserves the fundamental balancing metric for F2P games, otherwise known as "impatience is expensive." But I don't think the game currently suffers from a lack of it yet. Players are still getting used to being able to grind out a 5* a week under the current system. Until that becomes taken completely for granted, you'd be wasting a progressional ladder step to release 5* basic arenas too soon.
  • Options
    If it’s free to play tell me how many FTP players can get to 63M for arena without refresh? Don’t worry I’ll wait... and I’m not talking about the guys that spend and say they don’t.

I’m not suggesting a basic 5* arena, only that the cut off be re-evaluated for the current arena. For the guy that suggest the 1-5% cut off also a awesome idea.

Your idea that free stuff comes along and everything is peachy is laughable. We are not talking about rewards like t4b, t1a’s, and things of the like, this is about 5* champs. More importantly new 5* champs. With AW being the most important thing in this game right now, new champs are needed to stay competitive in masters bracket, shoot even for Plat1 and may ever event other lower tiers. Deaths have never been more important than they are right now. For that you “NEED” new champs. Which makes some folks having to spend $300-500 in arena insane. Again not saying it should be free but simply more attainable for a few more folks.
  • Options
    If it’s free to play tell me how many FTP players can get to 63M for arena without refresh?

It is hard to think of a better way to demonstrate my point than you did. That was most effective.
  • Options
    Batman05Batman05 Posts: 351 ★★
    Refreshes cost units not money. FTP can still refresh
  • Options
    Y’all must not do arena much.

How many units do you have left over from an arena that your won the arena before? If what you are saying is true you would have approximately 6000 units left over for the next arena after you just spent that much on the arena before. For some that went for Omega Red it was 9000 units to get him and grinding 24/7. How is that “free to play”.

• Options
    Y’all must not do arena much.

How many units do you have left over from an arena that your won the arena before? If what you are saying is true you would have approximately 6000 units left over for the next arena after you just spent that much on the arena before. For some that went for Omega Red it was 9000 units to get him and grinding 24/7. How is that “free to play”.

Ask Brian Grant. He is 100% free to play, plays in a tier 1 alliance, has done pretty much all of the content, and occasionally grinds the featured when he decides it is a champ he wants badly enough.

As I said before, you don't want free to play. You want free to be top dog in everything everywhere, and that's simply not a fair use of the term. Free to play means you can play for free, and you can. And if you're willing to put in the time, there is very little you can't do in-game. Maybe you can't be the top 150 finisher in every single featured arena every single time, but if you're calling the game pay to play just because you can't do that without spending, those words must mean something different where y'all are from.
  • Options
    DTMelodicMetalDTMelodicMetal Posts: 2,785 ★★★★★
    4* featured arena was originally top 400. It was later raised to top 800 around 12.0. Maybe 5* featured arena will undergo a similar change at some point and go from top 150 to top 300.
  • Options
    4* featured arena was originally top 400. It was later raised to top 800 around 12.0. Maybe 5* featured arena will undergo a similar change at some point and go from top 150 to top 300.

That would be reasonable.
  • Options

I wouldn't bet against it. However, I don't think it is likely in the immediate future. It isn't easy to extrapolate precisely from the past, because I think Kabam screwed up progression from 4* to 5*, and they learned those lessons in the jump from 5* to 6*. The biggest lesson they learned is to transition slower. The original 5* ranking ladder had way too much overlap between 4* and 5*, which made lower ranks too redundant. 1/25, 2/35, and 3/45 are roughly comparable to 3/30, 4/40, and 5/50, which means 5* champs didn't become really interesting progress-wise until we could rank them up to 4/55. That placed a lot of pressure on Kabam to increasing the supply of T4CC and (to a lesser extent) T2A. 6* champs have very little overlap: 1/25 is already 4/55-levels of power, and we can't even rank them past 2/35. So 6* is much more useful right out of the box, and there's a huge ladder of progress they don't have to rush; ranks 3 through 5 on 6* champs.

I think when 3/45 6* starts to become a reality, Kabam will start to consider 5* champs to be more of a stepping stone in the progress ladder to 6*, and they will start shifting the balance of 5* availability from shards and crystals to a bit more towards arena events. At that point I would expect them to consider widening the featured bracket and maybe start thinking about a basic event. But I would expect to see Act 6 and T5CC first, and increased 5* arena availability somewhat after that, and not just immediately following.
  • Options
    For some reason, I feel that Act 6 is not too far off. Call it intuition.
  • Options
    xNigxNig Posts: 7,250 ★★★★★
    Agree with @DNA3000 .

I have an ally mate who is 100% free to play and used to grind for every 5* featured since the arenas were introduced.

He says it’s quite simple. Grind 5* arena for champ, open BCs for units. Grind the next round of arena for BC, open BCs for units to spend on the next 5* arena where he will be going for the champ. He still net gains about 6-8k units a week.
  • Options
    Deadbyrd9Deadbyrd9 Posts: 3,469 ★★★★
    When they expanded the brackets for the 4* featured and basic, the cutoff dropped for a few arenas but then went right back up again. I don’t see anything being changed for this. People who put in the time to grind top 150 deserved it. No champ is worth that much of your life imo
  • Options
    DragonfeiDragonfei Posts: 260 ★★
    edited September 2018
    As someone who has successfully done two 5* Featured arena grinds and ended 15th and 4th for them, I will freely admit that I paid for the refreshes to be able to do the both of those. With effort (and actually sleeping), a natural score my roster can pull without refreshes is in the 18-23 million range. That allows me to do (and have done) featured 4* arenas (new and old champs) and basic arenas without issue and without spending a single unit if I don't want to.

Granted, not everyone has a roster expansive enough to pull that off, but, I'm not in a tier 1 alliance - we sit firmly in Plat 3. So there's plenty of other players at or near my level that could manage that - if they wanted to. Two of the main three arenas are available and accessible to a FTP player. That's absolutely fantastic - just because the 5* arena isn't for those who don't want to invest (and it IS an investment, in its own way) doesn't mean that the cutoffs should be expanded.

I do think at some point in the future, they will look at increasing the amount of people receiving the cutoff rewards (I don't think that we will see % based payouts in the 5* arena for a very, very long time) to probably 300 versus the current 150. But DNA3000 is absolutely right - until 5*'s reach a point where they are a stepping stone to 6* - it's not in their interest to expand the cutoffs.

I do think there is a separate discussion to be had about the "why" behind the arena scores creeping up. It has two factors - character (how much a character is "wanted"), and competitiveness (how many people go for said character). In the Featured 5* arena - you go into it with the mentality that you are going for the guarantee (I'm going to GET the hero) versus the chance (that you could pull the character from the FGMC crystal).

The scores are creeping up because I believe (personally) that more and more people see the value in spending the money to refresh the champs for a guarantee, versus taking the chance on the crystals. You could spend 300 units, pull 1 crystal and get the character. Or you could spend 3000, pull 20 crystals and not get the character. If you turned that money into what could be a guarantee - it suddenly looks much more palatable than a handful of 3*'s you don't need.

As an aside - I will also say it helps when people understand the direct correlation of unit spend to point score. When you know how much it will cost to get those scores - you can either budget, or you can decide to spend the units. As an example? I've shared my "Power Hour" method I used to make both of my grinds successful on the UMCOC podcast and to anyone who asks. In a power hour, in addition to having suicides on, I pop a 30% A&H boost (one hour) and do nothing but refresh my 6* champions, all three of them, over and over again. With 3 6*'s I spend approximately 2000-2100 units, and net a score of 7.0-7.4 million. In a single hour. With 2 6*'s and a 5* 5/65? 1700 units and a net score of 5.7-6.5 million. Two Odins? Can get me 4 Power Hours - I'm looking at a potential 28-29 million points alone with 4 hours worth of work.

Add in the factor of well-designed characters that people want to get and add to their rosters, with what I mentioned above? It's not surprising the featured arena scores are increasing. People want the guarantee, not the chance. Especially in the world of champions that have been released recently.

If you want a champion that is going to (potentially) be a game changer for your Alliance, for yourself, and in this game? You either chose to make an investment (knowing approximately what it will cost you) - or you chose to pass on it and focus on what you can get and achieve.

tl;dr - If you're going to pay for a champ, know what you're paying, instead of taking chances on a crystal that offers no guarantee. If you're not willing to pay for a chance - focus on the free content until you get to a point where you can pay, or make that choice. Post includes breakdown details on how to do a "Power Hour" in arena grinding.
  • Options
    DTMelodicMetalDTMelodicMetal Posts: 2,785 ★★★★★
    xNig wrote: »
    Agree with @DNA3000 .

I have an ally mate who is 100% free to play and used to grind for every 5* featured since the arenas were introduced.

He says it’s quite simple. Grind 5* arena for champ, open BCs for units. Grind the next round of arena for BC, open BCs for units to spend on the next 5* arena where he will be going for the champ. He still net gains about 6-8k units a week.

6-8K units a week from battlechips is improbable. I saved battlechips for a month to grind for 5* Korg in 1st round of featured arena. I was fortunate to get close to 2.5K units from opening 1,150,000 battlechips that I accumulated over 4 weeks. Your ally mate would have to grind 10-12+ hours of arena per day for 6-8K units per week from battlechips to be remotely feasible.