**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.
Options

Guesses on Upcoming Strange Arena

Just curious to what the cutoff might be. Any guesses?

Comments

• Options
    JSnookJSnook Posts: 219
    2.5 mil - 3
  • Options
    The_OneThe_One Posts: 2,936 ★★★★
    Not high, most have him already and he was nerfed to death.
  • Options
    JoeRaderJoeRader Posts: 8
    I think this will be the third to fourth time he had an arena.
  • Options
    spumingtonspumington Posts: 350 ★★
    It will be low. JSnook is probably in the ballpark, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was as low as 2m. Lots of dislike for Strange these days. That bad reputation will carry over to the arena score.
  • Options
    JSnookJSnook Posts: 219
    I only went that high due to my doubtfulness in people joining the arena, at least to reach rank rewards. It is increasingly disappointing that people ranked 10,000-ish are barely getting the champ. How are not more than 100K people ranking each time?
  • Options
    xxVINMANxxxxVINMANxx Posts: 23
    I think the tricky part of that arena will be scoring high enough to reach all milestones but low enough to get the shards instead of Strange lol.

After being crippled with nerfs, I agree that he is not even in the ballpark of being highly sought after. I'm guessing in the 2mil range.
    My goal is shards
  • Options
    DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,671 Guardian
    xxVINMANxx wrote: »
    I think the tricky part of that arena will be scoring high enough to reach all milestones but low enough to get the shards instead of Strange lol.

After being crippled with nerfs, I agree that he is not even in the ballpark of being highly sought after. I'm guessing in the 2mil range.
    My goal is shards

But which shards? You land on 11% and you get 500 4* shards and 200 5* shards. You land on Strange, and you get 4* Strange and 300 5* shards. Overall, I think I would choose the 11% reward if I had the choice, but in my opinion it is not that bad to land on Strange and end up with no 4* shards but more 5* shards.

One way to try to compare these two options is to see what happens if you were to make this choice four times in a row. Getting the 11% reward nets you basically one fully formed 4* crystal and 800 5* shards. Getting the basic nets you four basic champs and 1200 5* shards. If the basic champs are always champs you aren't very interested in, it comes down to the shards and the crystal. If you don't have many 4* champs, then the fully formed 4* crystal might be a huge benefit. If you have a lot, then it might end up being a dup, which generates 275 5* shards. So that's 1075 5* shards plus some dup levels vs 1200 5* shards (I'm ignoring the other rewards for duping for now).

I think if you want the basic, obviously going for the basic makes sense. If you don't really want the basic and you don't have many 4* champs, the 11% reward will be more valuable. If you don't really want the basic and you have most of the 4* champs already, the basic reward nets more 5* shards overall and might still be the better long term reward.

The nice thing about the new arenas is that regardless of which one you want, over or undershooting and landing on the other one is not a terrible problem.
  • Options
    GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Posts: 36,247 ★★★★★

DNA3000 wrote: »
    xxVINMANxx wrote: »

My goal is shards

But which shards? You land on 11% and you get 500 4* shards and 200 5* shards. You land on Strange, and you get 4* Strange and 300 5* shards. Overall, I think I would choose the 11% reward if I had the choice, but in my opinion it is not that bad to land on Strange and end up with no 4* shards but more 5* shards.

One way to try to compare these two options is to see what happens if you were to make this choice four times in a row. Getting the 11% reward nets you basically one fully formed 4* crystal and 800 5* shards. Getting the basic nets you four basic champs and 1200 5* shards. If the basic champs are always champs you aren't very interested in, it comes down to the shards and the crystal. If you don't have many 4* champs, then the fully formed 4* crystal might be a huge benefit. If you have a lot, then it might end up being a dup, which generates 275 5* shards. So that's 1075 5* shards plus some dup levels vs 1200 5* shards (I'm ignoring the other rewards for duping for now).

I think if you want the basic, obviously going for the basic makes sense. If you don't really want the basic and you don't have many 4* champs, the 11% reward will be more valuable. If you don't really want the basic and you have most of the 4* champs already, the basic reward nets more 5* shards overall and might still be the better long term reward.

The nice thing about the new arenas is that regardless of which one you want, over or undershooting and landing on the other one is not a terrible problem.

I'm going for him. There are worse things than landing a Basic.
  • Options
    Draco2199Draco2199 Posts: 803 ★★★
    1m wouldn't surprise me. Thats all hes worth.
  • Options
    xxVINMANxxxxVINMANxx Posts: 23
    Yea @DNA3000 I'm going for the 11-25% bracket for the 500 4* shards and 200 5* shards.

I'm not at a point in the game where I can just rank up every 4* I get. I have to be quite selective on who I rank...and Dr Strange isn't someone that I'd like to invest 1 iSO or catalyst into personally.

After I've built up a stronger 4* base then getting the basic + more 5* shards would prolly be more worth it regardless of the champ.
  • Options
    CapWW2CapWW2 Posts: 2,901 ★★★★
    - 100 for his arena. He is a useless pile of garbage now!
  • Options
    Draco2199 wrote: »

He's worth more than that, but that's irrelevant. The reason why the absolute lowest cutoff in the new basic arena was about 1.7 million for Kamala and Magneto MN is because the last milestone for the basic arena is 1.5 million. Most of the cutoffs for 11%-25% were about 1.5-1.6 million for that reason: enough people go at least that high to get all the milestone rewards. The cut off for any basic champ no matter what popular opinion about that champion is must be higher than 1.5, simply because 25% of everyone who ranks at all gets to at least 1.5 million.
  • Options

He's worth more than that, but that's irrelevant. The reason why the absolute lowest cutoff in the new basic arena was about 1.7 million for Kamala and Magneto MN is because the last milestone for the basic arena is 1.5 million. Most of the cutoffs for 11%-25% were about 1.5-1.6 million for that reason: enough people go at least that high to get all the milestone rewards. The cut off for any basic champ no matter what popular opinion about that champion is must be higher than 1.5, simply because 25% of everyone who ranks at all gets to at least 1.5 million.

If you invest time in arena for a useless champ like him twice you have no brain cells!
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    CapWW2 wrote: »

If you invest time in arena for a useless champ like him twice you have no brain cells!

He's not useless. He's not what he was. He's still quite usable. He could stand a bit more output. Nothing major. There is a difference between being useful and comparing him to what he was before.
  • Options

I generally recommend people doing all the milestones to 1.5 million in the first place if they can, because those milestone rewards start adding up. I generally recommend arena grinders build up their 4* roster because everything is good enough for the arena, and it is easier to get points with a larger roster in general. The incremental effort to get the so-called "trash" basics is so low once you reach 1.5 that they are the easiest 4* champs to get, that I usually recommend shooting for them if you have the time and you don't have them yet but not if you already have them awakened).

If I have to add "and on top of that CapWW2 will think you're an idiot" I'm okay with that. It might even be a selling point.
  • Options
    No_More_HeroesNo_More_Heroes Posts: 471 ★★

He's not useless. He's not what he was. He's still quite usable. He could stand a bit more output. Nothing major. There is a difference between being useful and comparing him to what he was before.

He might be useful on the level of content you face on a daily basis but for me, the game modes that I play in, he's completely useless. I don't see him in any lineup, on any map we run, or any AW attack team.
  • Options
    DrZolaDrZola Posts: 8,549 ★★★★★
    I think it is very possible Strange can be had for less than 2M. The reduced utility as well as the overall bad press will depress scores; add to that the fact that Yondu will be much sought after and I can't see most people running more than milestones.

Strange should serve as a cautionary tale to everyone who invests real resources (as if time isn't real) into the game. Caveat emptor.

Dr. Zola
  • Options
    edited May 2017

He might be useful on the level of content you face on a daily basis but for me, the game modes that I play in, he's completely useless. I don't see him in any lineup, on any map we run, or any AW attack team.

I'm not talking about any level of content. When making a general statement that he's useless, it's not accurate. He's useful. For that matter, people still use him. Just not as commonly.
  • Options
    No_More_HeroesNo_More_Heroes Posts: 471 ★★

I'm not talking about any level of content. When making a general statement that he's useless, it's not accurate. He's useful. For that matter, people still use him.

As I clearly state, he is completely useless FOR ME. Now please proceed to tell me how he is not useless for me since you know my gameplay so well.
  • Options
    edited May 2017

I'm not talking about any level of content. When making a general statement that he's useless, it's not accurate. He's useful. For that matter, people still use him.

As I clearly state, he is completely useless FOR ME. Now please proceed to tell me how he is not useless for me since you know my gameplay so well.

Did I say for you? I said, when someone says a Champ is useless, that's a general statement. He is not useless. He has uses. Do you subscribe to the idea that your preference determines a Champ's usefulness for eveyone else?
  • Options

Mate, first i dont take advice from noobs. Second i dont care about arena as much as you!

Why do you think most top alliances dont enforce minimums?

Larger roster for what mate? My prestige is 5600, i could care less about your lousy large roster because large roster does not equal skill/prestige!

The only idiot here is you, because DS is a pile of garbage useless for AQ, but wait you have never done AQ at 10000 prestige, go back and play map2 homie!
  • Options
    DLegendDLegend Posts: 745 ★★★
    I'd rather go for a 3* Yondu than a 4* DS. Yondu is heaps better.
  • Options
    DLegend wrote: »
    I'd rather go for a 3* Yondu than a 4* DS. Yondu is heaps better.

I'll be doing both.
  • Options
    JoeRader wrote: »
    Just curious to what the cutoff might be. Any guesses?

If I had to ballpark it, I'd say about 2.3-2.5.
  • Options
    AxeCopFireAxeCopFire Posts: 1,115 ★★★
    Definitely don't do more than 1.5m because you might accidentally get Dr. Strange
  • Options
    winterthurwinterthur Posts: 7,782 ★★★★★
    ...because the last milestone for the basic arena is 1.5 million.

May I know how many rounds on average (without arena boosts) is required to reach that figure? Under the old format, I can get enough time to reach 50 - 75 rounds. I have yet to try the new format as the majority of my 3☆ champs are unranked.

• Options
    mostlyharmlessnmostlyharmlessn Posts: 1,387 ★★★★
    Not much of a point of grinding for DS anymore. He was an awesome champ, but Kabam destroyed him so not really worth the time anymore. You may accidentally get him.