**WINTER OF WOE - BONUS OBJECTIVE POINT**
As previously announced, the team will be distributing an additional point toward milestones to anyone who completed the Absorbing Man fight in the first step of the Winter of Woe.
This point will be distributed at a later time as it requires the team to pull and analyze data.
The timeline has not been set, but work has started.
There is currently an issue where some Alliances are are unable to find a match in Alliance Wars, or are receiving Byes without getting the benefits of the Win. We will be adjusting the Season Points of the Alliances that are affected within the coming weeks, and will be working to compensate them for their missed Per War rewards as well.

Additionally, we are working to address an issue where new Members of an Alliance are unable to place Defenders for the next War after joining. We are working to address this, but it will require a future update.

IMPOSSIBLE to beat matchup!

13»

Comments

• WorknprogressWorknprogress Posts: 7,233 ★★★★★

You are missing the point. It's not that I don't know counters to AEGIS node. This is about interaction between 2 champions which make it impossible no matter what you so to beat this. The question im putting forward is, should it be like this?? Is this not broken??

You brought a champ with a known hard counter that's regularly placed on hidden nodes, the problem isn't the interaction it's your terrible champ selection
    YOU PLAY WITH WHAT YOU HAVE!
    If the only war attacker you have is corvus dont take the one hidden path on the map. Its not rocket science
  • WorknprogressWorknprogress Posts: 7,233 ★★★★★

Guys the point I was trying to make in this post was not about my choice of champion to take into that node. Yes I took a risk which didn't payoff, I was hoping there would be EF there so I would get a charge. It was a calculated risk which spectacularly failed.

My point was that, should there exist such matchups where it's impossible for the player to win?

I'm completely fine with the matchup existing. There's one champ oud of almost 150 that corvus cant beat. Play smarter
  • LormifLormif Posts: 7,369 ★★★★★
    M_virk said:

Lormif said:

M_virk said:

Guys the point I was trying to make in this post was not about my choice of champion to take into that node. Yes I took a risk which didn't payoff, I was hoping there would be EF there so I would get a charge. It was a calculated risk which spectacularly failed.

My point was that, should there exist such matchups where it's impossible for the player to win?

Yes, and that's not the only interaction like that...there are plenty more interactions in the game just like that where its near impossible to get through without spending insane resources. This game is very completed and there are alot of champs that counter each other completely. That's the whole point of the game. To diversify your roster and plan ahead so you dont run into these scenarios.

So its its perfectly okay for these interactions to exist, specially since this can easily be avoided. There are also masteries in the game that let you scan ahead and see the classes you may run into.
    There are not many champs who hard counter other champs. Maw hard counters a couple. HT can hard counter a couple. What other interactions make impossible fights?
    Mr sinister can counter corvus, thing can counter a good number of mystic champs, Symbiote supreme will counter champs that start with alot kf buffs.
    There are plenty of bs interactions....you just have to make sure you bring the best counter you can for that fight. That's why you always wanna scout ahead in AW.
    These kind of interactions are necessary for AW to be competitive.
    Those are not hard counters, but soft counters. Those fights are sitll winnable if you play well.
  • BitterSteelBitterSteel Posts: 9,254 ★★★★★
    I think all that needs to be done is change Corvus so that when he misses an attack against Maw he loses a charge. At the moment the only way to get rid of his charges against maw is get down to 0 health if duped.

Make him expend his charges even when missing and then you still need to miss 20 attacks before you can start dealing damage
  • DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,558 Guardian

I answered this directly the first time, but the short answer is: if you believe the game should always give the advantage to the attacker and always give him or her a reasonable chance of winning no matter what their attack choices are, then no. If you believe that the game should offer ways for the defense placer to place nodes that can trap an attacker into a kill if they make the wrong choice, then yes, such match ups should exist. This is a preference, and there's lots of people on both sides, and both sides are equally fair in terms of gameplay.
    Graydrox said:

DNA3000 said:

Graydrox said:

So I recently faced a hidden AEGIS node in AW and practically ran into the 1 fight which was IMPOSSIBLE to beat. To my misfortune there was Ebony Maw and I had unluckily went in with Corvus Glaive. R.I.P.

This interaction made me think how broken this matchup still is, and specially if you add AEGIS this fight is impossible. This got me thinking, is there ANY other matchup in the game between 2 champions which is this much broken??

Should it be this way??!

Not positive of this because so haven't tried it but Corvus does lose his glaive charges temporarily when hit by a heavy attack. So couldn't you technically take a heavy attack and then hit him with a heavy while the glaive charges are down? Then you could hit him with a special 3.
    If we're talking what's possible, not what human beings could do, then there's some possibilities. Taking a heavy will give you a three second window, but you'd be taking a heavy to the face. An Invuln boost would theoretically protect you for a while, but that's not enough. However, if you can get in enough attacks during your three second openings you could expend all your glaive charges. That would then give you fifty seconds of non-crit offense. It is Ebony Maw, so not the biggest bag of health. With enough boosts and perfect play, this might be possible.
    What I'm saying is: you take the heavy then you heavy attack back. Your glaive charges won't be active so for a short moment you can kill the aegis. THEN you build up power through whatever means and hit him with a special 3. The special 3 will hit him no matter what.

That doesn't sound that impossible to me.
    I understood what you were saying the first time. But you seem to be implying that it is trivial to shut down Aegis in three seconds. This is tier dependent. Depending on your tier you might need a single heavy to shut off Aegis, or you might need more.
  • AsadWazir12AsadWazir12 Posts: 35

I think all that needs to be done is change Corvus so that when he misses an attack against Maw he loses a charge. At the moment the only way to get rid of his charges against maw is get down to 0 health if duped.

Make him expend his charges even when missing and then you still need to miss 20 attacks before you can start dealing damage

You are right. This would make the fight at least, practically possible.
  • LormifLormif Posts: 7,369 ★★★★★
    M_virk said:

Yes, and that's not the only interaction like that...there are plenty more interactions in the game just like that where its near impossible to get through without spending insane resources. This game is very completed and there are alot of champs that counter each other completely. That's the whole point of the game. To diversify your roster and plan ahead so you dont run into these scenarios.

So its its perfectly okay for these interactions to exist, specially since this can easily be avoided. There are also masteries in the game that let you scan ahead and see the classes you may run into.
    There are not many champs who hard counter other champs. Maw hard counters a couple. HT can hard counter a couple. What other interactions make impossible fights?
  • ArylAryl Posts: 1,302 ★★★★
    Wow. This thread is still going.
    Lormif said:

M_virk said:

Depends on how much of an exaggeration "impossible" is. Even the Maw fight isn't mathematically impossible, just practically very unlikely.

But there are fights where the mismatch is so bad, it's unlikely you're going to win. Bringing a non-immune with suicides might still work out, until you face Void. Invisible Woman is not going to have fun fighting Morningstar. Someone tries to fight Ultron with Dormammu and they'll probably time out.

In the really old days people used to complain that a max rank max sig Magik was basically impossible to survive without the right counters. Lots of players used to bring the wrong team to a path with an Arc Overload fight on the prior maps, especially in the mid tiers, and they simply couldn't win. A trap that people would sometimes try to set back then was to place Venom on a power gain node hoping to lure the player into bringing Vision to that fight. That's not technically an impossible fight, but if you fell into that trap you're pretty much screwed.
    Lormif said:

What other interactions make impossible fights?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=6755&v=pVHWdP2cNL4

Okay, I thought of an interaction that makes an impossible fight.
  • WoogieboogieWoogieboogie Posts: 340 ★★

So I recently faced a hidden AEGIS node in AW and practically ran into the 1 fight which was IMPOSSIBLE to beat. To my misfortune there was Ebony Maw and I had unluckily went in with Corvus Glaive. R.I.P.

This interaction made me think how broken this matchup still is, and specially if you add AEGIS this fight is impossible. This got me thinking, is there ANY other matchup in the game between 2 champions which is this much broken??

Should it be this way??!

You want people to feel sorry for your corvus matchup... you can take that interaction and place it nicely and o so lightly up kabamMikes invoice/mailbox. Griping about a top tier matchup man.... hope your not that guy that sends back a big Mac for not having all 3 pickles on it.... still a fuxking BIGMAC!
    Midnite93 said:

Using Corvus against Ebony Maw in AW was pure suicide champs like sinister and maw are designed to counter corvus and Ghost. It was natural you would lose this fight and Maw is getting buffed so sucks to be corvus. Lol

Reading is fundamental.
  • THALEMKYKO1THALEMKYKO1 Posts: 98
    A way the could let the fight be potentially possible is when corvus misses that he loses a charge so at least he can get rid of them all
  • J0NisCOOLJ0NisCOOL Posts: 115
    This is so dumb, why are you posting this on the forums. “OMG Corvus can’t win one fight this is an outrage!” He can literally do almost every fight in the game bar a few.

If you want to avoid this in the future put 1 point into scouter lens like everyone else who runs that lane and it won’t happen again. Impossible fight yes, but it is one of the very few hard counters to Corvus. I believe it is totally fair within the game as there are ways to avoid having that encounter if using the right masteries and having common knowledge of what shows up on that lane on the hidden nodes.
    J0NisCOOL said:

This is so dumb, why are you posting this on the forums. “OMG Corvus can’t win one fight this is an outrage!” He can literally do almost every fight in the game bar a few.

If you want to avoid this in the future put 1 point into scouter lens like everyone else who runs that lane and it won’t happen again. Impossible fight yes, but it is one of the very few hard counters to Corvus. I believe it is totally fair within the game as there are ways to avoid having that encounter if using the right masteries and having common knowledge of what shows up on that lane on the hidden nodes.

U need hugz
  • J0NisCOOLJ0NisCOOL Posts: 115
    edited October 2019
    Aryl said:

J0NisCOOL said:

U need hugz
    Lol, you may be right, but so am I when it comes to this.
  • CG and Ghost vs Sinister/Maw are two terrible matchups.
    That being said you shouldn’t go into that path with champions that you know total counters exist for
  • CG/Ghost vs Maw/Sinister will end badly for you.

You shouldn’t bring a champion that you know has a hard counter into that line. That’s where our Maw goesfor that precise reason. Gets an easy kill every couple of wars.
  • BigPoppaCBONEBigPoppaCBONE Posts: 2,259 ★★★★★
    Why the fixation on the AW path and not addressing the overarching impossible matchup question? There is an “impossible” matchup, but should there be “impossible” matchups in the game?

Why the fixation on the AW path and not addressing the overarching impossible matchup question? There is an “impossible” matchup, but should there be “impossible” matchups in the game?

Because people seem to have an extreme reading comprehension disorder on this forum.
  • Because out of 150 champions, CG can’t kill 1, this is the only place in the whole game it could ever be an issue. That’s why there’s 5 champs in your team elsewhere and 3 in AW/AQ.

It’s a bit of a non issue.