**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.
Options

Pixel 4 Adaptive Refresh Rate (60/90hz) causing issues?

A few questions. Does the screen refresh rate of a phone impact the game's smoothness? I got a pixel 4 which has adaptive screen refresh rate of 60/90hz. Supposedly the pixel 4 will kick into 90hz under certain conditions or when using certain apps. Maybe just a coincidence but sometimes the game kicks into this very fluid state where it looks beautiful. Is that the results of 90hz refresh rate?

I also noticed more dropped inputs and also I would often execute a heavy during my 5 hit combo. I would go M LL (then all a sudden do a Heavy). So not sure if there is an issue with the Pixel 4's adaptive refresh rate when playing MCOC? 6 hours later of dealing with this I decided to turn off the adaptive refresh rate and play only at 60hz and the game seems to be slower but inputs seem to be working again....

Is this all in my head or is there some type of relation here?

Comments

• Options
    nOuxnOux Posts: 522 ★★★
    Screen refresh rate (Hz) has nothing to do with game fps. Contest of Champions is capped at 30fps. So you changing Hz has no impact on game or touch screen itself. 24.3 game version is broken mess at the moment and dropped inputs are common on iOS or android devices.
  • Options
    EpicGOATEpicGOAT Posts: 46
    edited October 2019
    @Chump ah thanks. i'm glad i'm not crazy. damn so i shouldn't play on 90hz than blah. how can they not reproduce it? I'm assuming no one at kabam has a pixel 4, razer 2, or one plus. So i guess if they can't reproduce it than it won't get fixed? Sucks that I have this brand new powerful phone and can't even play mcoc to the fullest. I was hoping to do a legends run with it but looks like that's not gonna happen. it's so much more smooth at 90hz and maybe it's me but it feels faster between screens too. could just be the fluidness...

@Kabam Miike can you verify this issue by chance?
  • Options
    Exactly what im dead wrong about? I just said that iOS and android devices is having issues with dropped inputs. There is no such a thing as more than 60hz screen on iOS devices and they are having same issues as you do, so saying that somehow increased refresh rate of screen does something to your gameplay is just silly.

“Drop it down to 60hz and for some reason the issue goes away but the frame rate becomes laggy.

There are threads regarding this issue and Kabam can't seem to reproduce the problem and fix it.“
    Dont you think that you answered your own question? Maybe because it has nothing to do with Hz but something to do with current game version.
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    “ Remember that FPS is how many frames your gaming computer is producing or drawing, while the refresh rate is how many times the monitor is refreshing the image on the screen. The refresh rate (Hz) of your monitor does not affect the frame rate (FPS) your GPU will be outputting.“

https://www.avadirect.com/blog/frame-rate-fps-vs-hz-refresh-rate/amp/

You should read about differences between FPS and Hz, to understand that it has nothing to do with your gameplay. Increasing Hz does not magically increase your game FPS because contest of champions is locked at 30fps and there is no way to increase game fps past 30.
  • Options
    noldnold Posts: 30
    nOux said:

Exactly what im dead wrong about?

This:
    nOux said:

Screen refresh rate (Hz) has nothing to do with game fps.

And this:
    nOux said:

Contest of Champions is capped at 30fps.

And this:
    nOux said:

So you changing Hz has no impact on game or touch screen itself.

But not this:
    nOux said:

24.3 game version is broken mess at the moment and dropped inputs are common on iOS or android devices.

Screen refresh rate sets the upper limit of game FPS that the display can handle without dropping frames.

Contest of Champions is not capped at 30fps on Android. Most Android phones have a 30fps cap. Some don't.

Changing the Hz on these high end devices allows the game to run at higher FPS, on a Razer Phone 2 it usually runs at around 117FPS (we can display our FPS on the screen while in-game)

This issue is specific to high FPS Android devices - it's an unintended heavy mid-combo. Most of the issues in the IOS thread seem to be people dashing back when trying to do a heavy. Totally different.

• Options
    The issue is that all new phones like iPhone 11 which has 60Hz screen and Razer 2 that has 120Hz screen all of them do same thing within 24.3 version of the game. In 1 week time they will release 25.0 version and lets hope it will fix this issue
  • Options
    nold said:

nOux said:

Exactly what im dead wrong about?

This:
    nOux said:

Screen refresh rate (Hz) has nothing to do with game fps.

And this:
    nOux said:

Contest of Champions is capped at 30fps.

And this:
    nOux said:

So you changing Hz has no impact on game or touch screen itself.

But not this:
    nOux said:

24.3 game version is broken mess at the moment and dropped inputs are common on iOS or android devices.

Screen refresh rate sets the upper limit of game FPS that the display can handle without dropping frames.

Contest of Champions is not capped at 30fps on Android. Most Android phones have a 30fps cap. Some don't.

Changing the Hz on these high end devices allows the game to run at higher FPS, on a Razer Phone 2 it usually runs at around 117FPS (we can display our FPS on the screen while in-game)

This issue is specific to high FPS Android devices - it's an unintended heavy mid-combo. Most of the issues in the IOS thread seem to be people dashing back when trying to do a heavy. Totally different.

Razer 2 phone integrated Fps cointer shows screen fps not game fps. There is app on google play store called “FPS Meter” and it will show you your game frame rate not screen rate.

• Options
    edited October 2019
    Using android emulator bluestacks on 144hz monitor with RTX 2080 it clearly shows that this game is capped at 30fps.

You are mistaken in that game can support 120hz instead of 120game fps. There is big difference.
  • Options
    EpicGOATEpicGOAT Posts: 46
    so given what everyone has sad... can i assume the touch registration or w/e is tied to the frame refresh? is it because i see a faster screen (more fluid) i'm tapping to fast which the game thinks im holding down on a heavy? if I slow down my actions would that be a work around? or is all that unrelated?
  • Options
    noldnold Posts: 30
    edited October 2019
    nOux said:

Using android emulator bluestacks on 144hz monitor with RTX 2080 it clearly shows that this game is capped at 30fps.

You are mistaken in that game can support 120hz instead of 120game fps. There is big difference.

LOL. Nice try buddy, but you can't prove anything by running the game in a generic emulator. (which is against the T.O.S, by the way) Remember when I said most Android phones have the 30FPS limit? It's not the game, it's the OS.

Here you go, a screenshot of a Razer Phone 2 running the game at 118 FPS.

Now please, stop trying to prove to us that facts aren't real.

edit: here you go, see if you can find MCOC on this list:
    https://www.androidpolice.com/2019/09/15/android-games-phones-high-frame-rates-90-120fps/
  • Options
    B1gswordB1gsword Posts: 4
    I have the pixel 4xl and have the same issue. I'm heavy attacking instead of combo. Now I know to turn of 90hz I'll.give.it a try.
  • Options
    Ok just.forced 60hz and the game is running perfectly. I brought the pixel 4 for the 90hz gaming and now I can't use it. That's a bit stupid but after 4 aw deaths I have to do something.
  • Options
    EpicGOAT said:

so given what everyone has sad... can i assume the touch registration or w/e is tied to the frame refresh? is it because i see a faster screen (more fluid) i'm tapping to fast which the game thinks im holding down on a heavy? if I slow down my actions would that be a work around? or is all that unrelated?

No you will be punched in the face by the defender. Just force 60hz for now.
  • Options
    PHJfinPHJfin Posts: 60
    On my OnePlus I can force 90hz/fps rate, same what you can accidentally get on other phones too while switching back and forth between applications. And then it's really smooth and looks awesome, but your moves won't register correctly; sometimes light attacks become heavies and dashing back blocks. I really hope they'll fix this.
  • Options
    TYRON1TYRON1 Posts: 6

@EpicGOAT
    The game will run a lot smoother in 90 hz because mcoc supports 90 or 120 fps. I believe you can force 90 hz all the time from developer options in pixel 4. I play on my OnePlus 7 pro in 90 hz and it runs smooth as butter which is great because I play a lot of arena. And it just looks and feels great too.
    About that bug, it's in all the high refresh rate devices. I'm still facing this issue and I cannot tap the screen as often as I used to ( if you've ever noticed we do a five hit combo but during that time we tap the screen a lot more than five times). So I try to tap less often and don't keep my finger for too long on the screen (otherwise the game will register that as a heavy) and lift the finger as soon as I tap it. I'm used to this now.
    They ruined the game for us in ver. 24. You can make a post in bugs and knows issues.
  • Options
    ThecurlerThecurler Posts: 840 ★★★★
    TYRON1 said:

@EpicGOAT
    The game will run a lot smoother in 90 hz because mcoc supports 90 or 120 fps. I believe you can force 90 hz all the time from developer options in pixel 4. I play on my OnePlus 7 pro in 90 hz and it runs smooth as butter which is great because I play a lot of arena. And it just looks and feels great too.
    About that bug, it's in all the high refresh rate devices. I'm still facing this issue and I cannot tap the screen as often as I used to ( if you've ever noticed we do a five hit combo but during that time we tap the screen a lot more than five times). So I try to tap less often and don't keep my finger for too long on the screen (otherwise the game will register that as a heavy) and lift the finger as soon as I tap it. I'm used to this now.
    They ruined the game for us in ver. 24. You can make a post in bugs and knows issues.

Do you have any performance issues with more aq/aw and harder content? I’m using OnePlus 7t and it’s smooth in easy content. As soon as the AI ramps up, not so good.
  • Options
    TYRON1TYRON1 Posts: 6
    @Thecurler
    No performance issues in aq, aw or harder contents. I haven't faced any lags or stutter of any kind against a tougher AI. The only problem is the heavy bug which is the game's issue.
    OnePlus 7t shouldn't have any issues running the game against difficult AIs. Maybe December update or next Android updates will solve your issues. Try turning on fnatic mode but I don't think that makes any noticeable difference, not at least in my phone.
  • Options
    PHJfinPHJfin Posts: 60
    Here is the issue, very short video. Sent ticket about this issue. Hope they'll take a look at it and fix it.

https://youtu.be/ATZWImnyBGo
  • Options
    ThecurlerThecurler Posts: 840 ★★★★
    TYRON1 said:

@Thecurler
    No performance issues in aq, aw or harder contents. I haven't faced any lags or stutter of any kind against a tougher AI. The only problem is the heavy bug which is the game's issue.
    OnePlus 7t shouldn't have any issues running the game against difficult AIs. Maybe December update or next Android updates will solve your issues. Try turning on fnatic mode but I don't think that makes any noticeable difference, not at least in my phone.

I get zero combat lag or stutter, loading times are fast.

In fact there are no issues at all when attacking. It’s defending that’s killing me compared to iOS. I posted a couple of videos in the Android performance issues thread.
    Aggressive AI seems much quicker on the 7t. At times it’s impossible to react fast enough.
  • Options
    Its june now and this is still not fixed. Wtf.
    Bought s20ultra just to make gameplay smoother. Yes its even better than 11pro max.
    But inputs still wont work propperly.

Sent detailed mail to kabam about how many ms does it take to accidentally charge heavy on 120mhz refresh rate vs 60mhz.
    The answer is " we will look into it".
    3 months later still nothing.
  • Options
    CobraCobra Posts: 126
    I used to play MCOC on my old iPhone SE without major problems. Now I bought new POCO X3 NFC with 120Hz display and the game is lagy, missing or delaying my touches. Yes, the graphic is stunning, loading times are way faster, but the flow is missing.
    Even if I turn ON Xiaomi's MIUI feature called Game Turbo it is not as smooth as on iOS.