**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.

I gotta know, why is he so underrated??

Comments

• Jake303AoSJake303AoS Posts: 301 ★★
    Smash said:

Etjama said:

Goodness said:

I guess what he does other champs can do better plus he has medium to noodle damage output

He's the best incinerate immune champ
    *Laughs in Void*

But to be fair, Meph is a good champ, especially if you don't have a whole lot of options for hot and cold stuff, but like others have said, there are plenty champs that can do his job better or just as good and then some other utility.
    Lol by that I meant that he's not just immune, but also turns it into a buff. I agree that Rhulk also has this benefit, but I personally find Mephisto's more useful as I usually don't have a prob ramping up Rhulk, still very nice utility tho! So I should have worded that differently, but I agree, he's not the best champ with the immunity.

I'm not sure I know of any champs with as much utility/immunity as him tho, which is what draws me to him I suppose.
    Iceman, Emma Frost, Sunspot, Human Torch, Sentinel, DarkHawk, Thing, Red Hulk, Vision, CAIW, G99, Ghost, Warlock, Corvus Glaive, Namor. Just to name the ones with a way to ignore 2 or more DoT debuffs with more utility than him...
    How do they have more utility than him tho?Most don't have Regen. None (that I'm aware of) near as substantial as his. Most can't prevent buffs. None that I know of are immune to ability accuracy reduction. Emma's immunities are only in diamond form. Some of the others immunities aren't always guaranteed.

I agree those are all solid champs, but I don't see how they have more utility in addition to the 3/4 immunities.
    Emma stops evade and autoblock in telepath form. Regen while it’s nice, it’s not the only utility that matters. First goal is not to get hit anyway.
    I fully agree Regen isn't all that matters. Emma gives up all her immunities once in telepath form, so it makes it a bit tough to rely on her in that sense. Same with losing her her evade utility once in diamond form. I love her, don't get me wrong, but that's a large draw back for me. And of course not getting hit is the goal, but it happens!
    zeezee57 said:

zeezee57 said:

No need for a con list, just one and that's his damage or lack of. What good are his utilities, which other champs have, when I can finish a path using better champs while you're just wrapping up the second fight? I like Meph, he's a cool character and can be fun to play but the fact is nobody is using him in endgame content because they don't want to spend all night doing one path.

His damage really isn't that bad, but to each their own! He can tic over 700 damage per second with his aura (I've stacked 4 in certain scenarios, so over 2800 per second), he can hit near 4k mediums and 2500k lights. And that's as a r1 6* or r4 5*. Really not bad at all, especially considering his utility, but hey, that's just my opinion!
    And what exactly were the circumstances here? Any Meph friendly synergy team isn't practical for hard content. Sure I can go into monthly EQ with Meph, Champion, Sym, GR and MS and make Meph look decent for a couple fights but try that sort of lineup in Variant or Act 6 and it goes nowhere. He's a decent champ who can fill some niche roles on occasion and that's about it. There's better champs to do anything he does, they might not have every piece of utility he has in one package but you don't need them to and you have a full team for a reason.
    I agree his damage benefits greatly with synergy, and I personally don't often use him Champion. Many champs benefit/rely on synergies. No disagreement on that! That being said, there are worse synergy teams than this. I also use MS pretty often, and in quite a few scenarios, it can be a useful team with useful synergies as a bonus. In my opinion of course.
    zeezee57 said:

zeezee57 said:

zeezee57 said:

No need for a con list, just one and that's his damage or lack of. What good are his utilities, which other champs have, when I can finish a path using better champs while you're just wrapping up the second fight? I like Meph, he's a cool character and can be fun to play but the fact is nobody is using him in endgame content because they don't want to spend all night doing one path.

His damage really isn't that bad, but to each their own! He can tic over 700 damage per second with his aura (I've stacked 4 in certain scenarios, so over 2800 per second), he can hit near 4k mediums and 2500k lights. And that's as a r1 6* or r4 5*. Really not bad at all, especially considering his utility, but hey, that's just my opinion!
    And what exactly were the circumstances here? Any Meph friendly synergy team isn't practical for hard content. Sure I can go into monthly EQ with Meph, Champion, Sym, GR and MS and make Meph look decent for a couple fights but try that sort of lineup in Variant or Act 6 and it goes nowhere. He's a decent champ who can fill some niche roles on occasion and that's about it. There's better champs to do anything he does, they might not have every piece of utility he has in one package but you don't need them to and you have a full team for a reason.
    I agree his damage benefits greatly with synergy, and I personally don't often use him Champion. Many champs benefit/rely on synergies. No disagreement on that! That being said, there are worse synergy teams than this. I also use MS pretty often, and in quite a few scenarios, it can be a useful team with useful synergies as a bonus. In my opinion of course.
    What worse synergy teams than that get used lol They're all mystics with a lot of overlapping strengths. Not trying to be argumentative here but that's just not a useful team anywhere except maybe 6.2 where you need multiple mystics to get through a gate. Most popular synergy teams people actually use are filled with good champs. Again not trying to knock Meph as he's a solid champ but trying to make him out as more than that because you like him doesnt make it so. You'd be better off just saying you love the champ and appreciate his utilities and you'd have a thread full of players who agree with you, myself included.
    That's exactly what I'm saying tho. I never said he was the best champ, far from it actually.. Just said that I think, and am curious as to why, he's so underrated. Which is of course my opinion. Just been making points according to my opinion, and appreciate yall's too. I've learned some things from this discussion, and hope others have as well!

And content is always changing, but that team is pretty useful on Regen node paths. By no means would that be my A team, tho I do have Mephisto on one of my A teams when needed.

• Uncle_Fatty_247Uncle_Fatty_247 Posts: 347 ★★
    That’s the problem with this discussion...who told you or what did you read to come to the conclusion that the MCOC player base thinks he’s underrated?

Not one comment in here states that he is a trash champ, the consensus seems to think he’s like a 6.5 or 7/10, which is about where he’s viewed in the overall hierarchy.

You said it yourself that “he’s not the best champ, far from it actually”...that’s exactly what we’ve been saying this whole time! 🤦🏻‍♂️

If you’re saying a 7/10 is underrated, then you believe he’s at least a 9, which is far from truth.
    zeezee57 said:

zeezee57 said:

zeezee57 said:

zeezee57 said:

What worse synergy teams than that get used lol They're all mystics with a lot of overlapping strengths. Not trying to be argumentative here but that's just not a useful team anywhere except maybe 6.2 where you need multiple mystics to get through a gate. Most popular synergy teams people actually use are filled with good champs. Again not trying to knock Meph as he's a solid champ but trying to make him out as more than that because you like him doesnt make it so. You'd be better off just saying you love the champ and appreciate his utilities and you'd have a thread full of players who agree with you, myself included.
    That's exactly what I'm saying tho. I never said he was the best champ, far from it actually.. Just said that I think, and am curious as to why, he's so underrated. Which is of course my opinion. Just been making points according to my opinion, and appreciate yall's too. I've learned some things from this discussion, and hope others have as well!

And content is always changing, but that team is pretty useful on Regen node paths. By no means would that be my A team, tho I do have Mephisto on one of my A teams when needed.

Who else do you typically run? He could certainly be a useful complimentary piece which could explain why you like him so much. Bring him in where he best excels and let him handle a niche role and I could certainly see where you're coming from.
    For a most recent example, the freezer burn path on the fantastic daily quests. He basically gets a constant and substantial power gain, easy to get to sp3, easy to push them to sp2, power drain and rinse em quick after that. Just makes for an easy and fun run.

He was also a higher priority before the Colossus buff, cause now he's immune and just a badass champ. I really take Mephisto into AQ primarily these days, but still get a lot of use out of him in certain content scenarios.

That’s the problem with this discussion...who told you or what did you read to come to the conclusion that the MCOC player base thinks he’s underrated?

Not one comment in here states that he is a trash champ, the consensus seems to think he’s like a 6.5 or 7/10, which is about where he’s viewed in the overall hierarchy.

You said it yourself that “he’s not the best champ, far from it actually”...that’s exactly what we’ve been saying this whole time! 🤦🏻‍♂️

If you’re saying a 7/10 is underrated, then you believe he’s at least a 9, which is far from truth.

Again, me saying he's underrated is my opinion. I wasn't aware of the number rating lol, and idk if he's considered a 7/10 to everyone, cause it doesn't seem that from what I've read, but I've seen mixed opinions.

But I do see what you're saying, and yea, I suppose he is a higher number rating to me, perhaps a 7.5-8 if I was judging on that scale? So if others think he's in that same range? then I suppose I was mistaken on how he's rated amongst the community. Still some solid info and convo in this thread tho 😂
    edited December 2019

I'm curious as to why Mephisto is so underrated? He's been super valuable to me, and has so many pros, so I'm just wondering about everyone's opinion on his cons?

This is your first post...again, what is the source of “he’s so underrated”?

If it’s your opinion, then you’ve created an argument that literally no one is making.

It’s like saying “why does everybody think King Groot is better than Corvus.”
    The number scale was used as an example, a way of simplifying the explanation so the reader better understands the discussion.

Lol ffs, you’re worse than Trump yelling Fake News at anybody that doesn’t agree with him.

The number scale was used as an example, a way of simplifying the explanation so the reader better understands the discussion.

Lol ffs, you’re worse than **** yelling Fake News at anybody that doesn’t agree with him.

Wow, so the Donald is on the censor list? Understandable, my mistake for using such vulgar language. 😂

I'm curious as to why Mephisto is so underrated? He's been super valuable to me, and has so many pros, so I'm just wondering about everyone's opinion on his cons?

This is your first post...again, what is the source is this “he’s so underrated”?

If it’s your opinion, then you’ve created an argument that literally no one is making.

It’s like saying “why does everybody think King Groot is better than Corvus.”
    It also clearly states that "I'm just wondering about everyone's opinion on his cons". Didn't know that would ruffle so many feathers..

As per this thread, I clearly find more value in him than others, aka, underrated.. Everything said here other than stat facts is an opinion..

But again, I'm not sure why this has caused tension. Simply a discussion of opinions, all it was supposed to be.

Lol ffs, you’re worse than **** yelling Fake News at anybody that doesn’t agree with him.

Yes, I'm well aware of that.

And I have absolutely zero issue with someone not agreeing with me. Honestly seems like you have more of an issue with that than me. I simply wanted to discuss a champ that IN MY OPINION (lol) is underrated.

• ThesurvivlistThesurvivlist Posts: 195

Yes, I'm well aware of that.

And I have absolutely zero issue with someone not agreeing with me. Honestly seems like you have more of an issue with that than me. I simply wanted to discuss a champ that IN MY OPINION (lol) is underrated.

Then where would you place him in the tier list?
    Judging by the amount of comments, you have much more than zero issues with varying opinions (yay, your favorite word).

You asked for people’s opinions on his cons and immediately deflected those with your opinion shield, while basically repeating yourself over and over again w/o a valid counter. Why don’t you post some gameplay so we can see this great champ perform up to the standard you’ve set for him, because I don’t see any YTers backing up your opinions (facts).

When you pushed back on the person that gave you a list of the best champs in the game with “yeah but his utility, his regen, blah blah” validates that you do in fact think he’s one of the best champs in the game, although you just said he’s far from it. Which is fine, everyone is entitled to their opinion, if they themselves have the self awareness to understand what that comes with.

Best of luck moving fwd, unless you feel the need to continue to make this a personal conflict...which you’ll probably respond with a “lol...”, but I wouldn’t expect anything less.

Tag, you’re it.

Judging by the amount of comments, you have much more than zero issues with varying opinions (yay, your favorite word).

You asked for people’s opinions on his cons and immediately deflected those with your opinion shield, while basically repeating yourself over and over again w/o a valid counter. Why don’t you post some gameplay so we can see this great champ perform up to the standard you’ve set for him, because I don’t see any YTers backing up your opinions (facts).

When you pushed back on the person that gave you a list of the best champs in the game with “yeah but his utility, his regen, blah blah” validates that you do in fact think he’s one of the best champs in the game, although you just said he’s far from it. Which is fine, everyone is entitled to their opinion, if they themselves have the self awareness to understand what that comes with.

Best of luck moving fwd, unless you feel the need to continue to make this a personal conflict...which you’ll probably respond with a “lol...”, but I wouldn’t expect anything less.

Tag, you’re it.

You're the one that made it personal. I've had plenty of civil interactions with other people on this thread. You're really the only one that felt the need to turn it into something else.

Your a classic example of someone who wants to talk and not listen. I've happily acknowledged and agreed with numerous points made against my opinion. You took this completely off subject to demand how my opinion shouldn't be expressed and the discussion should be one sided. I disagree, and that's not how discussions work. It's honestly sad, your need to attack someone in a discussion of opinion..

That being said, you're extremely annoying, and I'm sure you're super fun at parties..(see, I can get unnecessarily personal too). So best of luck to you as well, and I have nothing more to say to you.
  • dsdsdsds Posts: 20
    It's true his damage is not high but his sp3 is what make up for its lack of damage.once you use his sp3 correctly and as long as opponent is not incinerate immune you can deal good damage with continuous sp without hitting
  • dtapedtape Posts: 35
    Mephisto is definitely a good champ. Triple immunities. Infinite aura after well-timed sp3 and the aura causes strong DoT even though more and more incinerate immune champs released nowadays. Easily power gain on certain nodes. Strong healing or fate sealing whenever you don’t need damage output anymore, but still can get those charges back in a couple fights even if fights would be long. At least I never underrate him in the above scenarios. I believe Mephisto is “Beyond-God tier”, whatever you call, in 5% of the entire contest or above average in 50% of the contest.

Unfortunately I only have 4*/R3, so cannot explore Mephisto even deeper. Otherwise I would have loved to use him instead of Dormammu whenever Blade needed synergy against mystic path. Cheers!
  • WorknprogressWorknprogress Posts: 7,233 ★★★★★

Okay, his damage is miserable, I think we had that point a few times already. And 160% of miserable is still pretty damn miserable. He's not a damage champ, he's a utility champ. But is his utility really even that good...?

Powergain - pretty slow and even at max sig it's heavily rng dependant, besides his silly one time only sp3 powerdrain and AoI. It's unique, I give you that, but it's actually just a substitute for his lack of an actual nullify mechanic which helps the better mystic champs to heavily benefit from mystic dispersion.

Soul imprisonment - it's an interesting mechanic, but since it's essentially buff-triggering-aar I'd always take a true nullify/stagger champ over him. There are just so many better options against buff-heavy champs. Also to keep it up you need to sacrifice your regen.

Regen/cheat death - unless it's life-steal, wolverine/x23 kind of regen, or otherwise offensively useful, I really don't see regen as a valuable utility in higher difficulty content. In content like act 6 or variant I want to (either) take as little damage as possible and/or finish fights as quickly as possible. His regen is a nice safeguard if you tend to get damaged a lot. But... That's just a weird argument for a pro in my eyes.

Aar immunity - okay, now this one is curious. He doesn't even have that many abilities to protect with that. And because of the way his aura works he's also not a good domino counter, which another aar immune champ like mysterio for example is. Besides the occasional domino and maybe that one mordo boss in 6.2 I don't really see aar immunity as such a valuable utility and I don't see myself ever using mephisto against either of those.

Immunities - he's triple immune, which is nice. But unless there's like an enhanced poison + freezerburn path I'd probably never think of mephisto as a immunity champ in that sense. And even then I'd rather take emma over him and finish the fight in what would probably be 1/5 of the time lol.

As a mystic champ he falls behind, due to his lack of actual power control and nullify.
    As an immunity champ he falls behind due to his lack of utility and/or damage.

A 7/10 is way too generous imo. I'd say a max sig mephisto is about a 6/10 at best.

I don't want to knock him down, I like him. And you're free to like him to. But theway you highball him is just silly. The utility he has is either okay to useless and/or substitutes for something better other champs have.

In conclusion I'd say he's a beginner friendly champ. Like act 1 to maybe act 5.

He's no secret weapon and he's certainly not underrated. You actually heavily overrate him in this thread.
    KT just put out another one of his potion saver vids, this one for mid tier players, and listed mephisto on that list which is pretty much where I feel he goes as well. R2 6*s are not mid tier champs. You take a champ to R2 more than likely with the intention to bring them to R3 and up to R5 even possibly. That's end game level champions
  • NCB_ptNCB_pt Posts: 291
    He is not a trash champion. At least he can helps Blade agains mystic champions o:)
  • StellanStellan Posts: 322 ★★

Etjama said:

Goodness said:

I guess what he does other champs can do better plus he has medium to noodle damage output

He's the best incinerate immune champ
    *Laughs in Void*

But to be fair, Meph is a good champ, especially if you don't have a whole lot of options for hot and cold stuff, but like others have said, there are plenty champs that can do his job better or just as good and then some other utility.
    Lol by that I meant that he's not just immune, but also turns it into a buff. I agree that Rhulk also has this benefit, but I personally find Mephisto's more useful as I usually don't have a prob ramping up Rhulk, still very nice utility tho! So I should have worded that differently, but I agree, he's not the best champ with the immunity.

I'm not sure I know of any champs with as much utility/immunity as him tho, which is what draws me to him I suppose.
    Iceman, Emma Frost, Sunspot, Human Torch, Sentinel, DarkHawk, Thing, Red Hulk, Vision, CAIW, G99, Ghost, Warlock, Corvus Glaive, Namor. Just to name the ones with a way to ignore 2 or more DoT debuffs with more utility than him...
    How do they have more utility than him tho?Most don't have Regen. None (that I'm aware of) near as substantial as his. Most can't prevent buffs. None that I know of are immune to ability accuracy reduction. Emma's immunities are only in diamond form. Some of the others immunities aren't always guaranteed.

I agree those are all solid champs, but I don't see how they have more utility in addition to the 3/4 immunities.
    Haha this thread is so cancer, and by thread I mean you OP. CapIW, Warlock, Ghost and Namor "I don't see how they have more utility than Mephisto". I sincerely request anyone to find a more bisarr comment than that. You deserve a price. Although I got to give it to you since you entertain me with your outstanding ignorant bias which caused the entire thread to disagree with you. You're making me and others laugh at you, not with you. Thanks again for the entertainment!
  • NMEONESNMEONES Posts: 260 ★★
    edited December 2019

Everyone is so obsessed with damage lol. His damage is not the worst, and with the Champion synergy it's actually pretty solid, and if you appreciate utility, he's amazing.

Again, when I said the best incinerate immune, I meant cause he's more than just immune, he uses it for power gain.. sure there are better damage champs with the immunity too, but they can't do anything else Mephisto does.

Here is a list of pros, now let me see your cons lists! (and if I left out any pros)

-Poison immune
    -Immune to Frostbite/Coldsnap
    -Incinerate immune/turns it into power gain
    -Power gain off his Aura Of Incineration
    -Immune to Ability Accuracy Reduction
    -Can deal decent Incinerate damage on Sp1
    -Power drain up to two bars on Sp3
    -Shuts down opponent buffs at start of fight, and can keep them shut down all fight
    -Can regen from 30% to almost 100%
    -Doesn't take damage while regen-ing (won't die from attacks that would normally KO)
    -Big damage with The Champion synergy
    -Valuable synergies with other useful champs

If your going by that logic then I think Human Torch is the best incinerate immune champ... not only is he immune, he turns each incinerate into smolder charges which turn him into a damage dealing god champ. One of my favorite fights in the game is Human Torch Vs. Mephisto. Torch builds up so many smolder charges from his Aura Of Incineration and just melts him. Very fun fight.

I actually just pulled Mephisto as a 5 and 6* on Black Friday. Hoping to finally try him out since ironically I never had his 4*.

Okay, his damage is miserable, I think we had that point a few times already. And 160% of miserable is still pretty damn miserable. He's not a damage champ, he's a utility champ. But is his utility really even that good...?

Powergain - pretty slow and even at max sig it's heavily rng dependant, besides his silly one time only sp3 powerdrain and AoI. It's unique, I give you that, but it's actually just a substitute for his lack of an actual nullify mechanic which helps the better mystic champs to heavily benefit from mystic dispersion.

Soul imprisonment - it's an interesting mechanic, but since it's essentially buff-triggering-aar I'd always take a true nullify/stagger champ over him. There are just so many better options against buff-heavy champs. Also to keep it up you need to sacrifice your regen.

Regen/cheat death - unless it's life-steal, wolverine/x23 kind of regen, or otherwise offensively useful, I really don't see regen as a valuable utility in higher difficulty content. In content like act 6 or variant I want to (either) take as little damage as possible and/or finish fights as quickly as possible. His regen is a nice safeguard if you tend to get damaged a lot. But... That's just a weird argument for a pro in my eyes.

Aar immunity - okay, now this one is curious. He doesn't even have that many abilities to protect with that. And because of the way his aura works he's also not a good domino counter, which another aar immune champ like mysterio for example is. Besides the occasional domino and maybe that one mordo boss in 6.2 I don't really see aar immunity as such a valuable utility and I don't see myself ever using mephisto against either of those.

Immunities - he's triple immune, which is nice. But unless there's like an enhanced poison + freezerburn path I'd probably never think of mephisto as a immunity champ in that sense. And even then I'd rather take emma over him and finish the fight in what would probably be 1/5 of the time lol.

As a mystic champ he falls behind, due to his lack of actual power control and nullify.
    As an immunity champ he falls behind due to his lack of utility and/or damage.

A 7/10 is way too generous imo. I'd say a max sig mephisto is about a 6/10 at best.

I don't want to knock him down, I like him. And you're free to like him to. But theway you highball him is just silly. The utility he has is either okay to useless and/or substitutes for something better other champs have.

Great write-up, that 160% miserable comment was hilarious 😆....wish I could agree, like it, AND tell you it’s awesome!

You’re right on the slightly above average rating, I was just trying to be nice since he was riding hard for his boy....until he came with the “bwahahaha, you use a number rating?!” 😏