**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.

Silver surfer...the biggest disappointment of 2019

CodeOmegaCodeOmega Posts: 201 ★★★
Let’s break this character down. Overall the best thing he has going for him is his amazing prestige. If you’re not in a top ally, you probably don’t care too much. Overall if you play him well and rotate the buffs, his damage output is mediocre. He is not suicide friendly at all, but his immunities to shock and incinerate allow him to take on freezer burn and shock nodes. He is definitely no god, (probably a high demigod) using Seatin’s tier list. The problem with this champ is that he just causes disappointment after all the hype surrounding him. People have wanted Ss in game since it’s release, and being teased again and again and getting this mediocre champion was not an exciting prospect. Overall, not a bad champ. The expectations just didn’t live up to the final product.

Comments

• designsodadesignsoda Posts: 118

Also keep in mind Kabam hyped this character a year in advance. Expectations were being set high by Kabam themselves.

Kabam teased. You did the hyping.
    Riiiiight.
  • XxLoganTDCxXXxLoganTDCxX Posts: 2,561 ★★★★
    I am making my usual Champ Reviews as normal. Expect Silver Surfer soon.
  • XxLoganTDCxXXxLoganTDCxX Posts: 2,561 ★★★★

If everything matched everybody's expectations we'd have 120+ OP God Tier champs. I personally love Silver Surfer from the comics and I'm obviously disappointed he's underwhelming but hey what can you do, they can't all be Corvus or Cap Marvel.

fyi nobody liked Corvus when he initially came out either lol not saying Surfer is that level, just a funny observation.

Nobody said that they think every champ would be god Tier.
    If they were all god tier, there wouldn't be a god tier (technically)
    But Silver Surfer is a huge fan favorite, and he has been teased for a year now.
  • issamaf80issamaf80 Posts: 1,472 ★★★

If everything matched everybody's expectations we'd have 120+ OP God Tier champs. I personally love Silver Surfer from the comics and I'm obviously disappointed he's underwhelming but hey what can you do, they can't all be Corvus or Cap Marvel.

fyi nobody liked Corvus when he initially came out either lol not saying Surfer is that level, just a funny observation.

Nobody said that they think every champ would be god Tier.
    If they were all god tier, there wouldn't be a god tier (technically)
    But Silver Surfer is a huge fan favorite, and he has been teased for a year now.
    yeah what about the sentryyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy
  • AnkalagonnAnkalagonn Posts: 535 ★★
    It's kinda well known that high prestige champs are just "ok" champs. That has been the pattern since almost the beginning of the time. I remember Phoenix when she came out.
  • designsodadesignsoda Posts: 118

I am currently underwhelmed with Surfer but if I'm being honest, I felt the same way about Doom and Claire initially.
    Kabam has learned the art of developing characters who are nuanced and have depth in their playstyle. The developers have gone on record as saying nobody has figured out how to tap into the true potential of Doc Ock and Elsa Bloodstone yet.
    Hopefully Silver Surfer falls in that category.

Yeah I'm hopeful there are depths to explore here. And kudos to developers that have designed characters that take some thinking to unlock their full potential.
  • DemonzfyreDemonzfyre Posts: 20,978 ★★★★★

Mike it's fair enough that different characters have different uses. And hyping up characters isn't bad. Isn't that part of Kabam's job? But saying you didn't hype a character by pointing out he's been a part of the story all year long? Huh? That makes no sense.

Anyway it's not the end of the world either way. It is what it is.

I dont remember Kabam ever hyping Silver Surfers abilities and gameplay. They hyped his arrival, never his utility.
  • NiteAndDaeNiteAndDae Posts: 670 ★★★
    I think he is fine, considering the high prestige (think Thor Ragnarok). He is balanced in that he does well for a few things, and so-so for others. If he was the highest prestige and crushed everything, what would be the point of other champs? The heavy phase mechanic is something new and could have loads of uses. Can he phase through a special 1,2 or 3?
  • RoninManRoninMan Posts: 747 ★★★★

It's kinda well known that high prestige champs are just "ok" champs. That has been the pattern since almost the beginning of the time. I remember Phoenix when she came out.

Except Doom completely counters that argument.