**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.

Silver surfer...the biggest disappointment of 2019

13»

Comments

• KalantakKalantak Posts: 1,291 ★★★★
    i wouldnt say he is disappointing ,yeh little underwhelming damage wise since he doesnt have other endgame utility,but real disappointments are DIABLO, EBONY, , Anihilus ,Ronin ,(few others who doesnt stand on either side of spectrum which is actually good, they dont have to make every champion as good Namor, sunspot , corvus etc) but these 4 are unusable for most content, nothing special going for the or stand out on their own.
  • GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Posts: 36,236 ★★★★★
    To be honest, I've seen it many times. People wait on a popular character and get excited about how they'll turn out. Unfortunately, they can't all be OP.
  • InxInx Posts: 115
    How many “god” tier champs were released this year?

Kabam being Kabam I have to imagine there is a quota of “god” tier they can release per year otherwise the game would be massively flooded with op champs that would obviously affect sells.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Kabam carefully mmonitered this and throttled champs as a result. I think I remember carnage was originally scaled back when he was released, I think. Might of been sentry. Fun fact, he was actually supposed to look ragged and broken, but the designers were told not to go with that look, but if you look carefully on the back of one his thighs you can still see a tear in his pants. Mistake or Easter egg, very telling.

Must be frustrating to the character developers having their babies neutered and trashed on by the community since I’m sure they’re fans of marvel and all their characters, that and their creativity being limited. Silver surfer of course being a huge fan favorite.
  • InxInx Posts: 115
    Inx said:

How many “god” tier champs were released this year?

Kabam being Kabam I have to imagine there is a quota of “god” tier they can release per year otherwise the game would be massively flooded with op champs that would obviously affect sells.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Kabam carefully mmonitered this and throttled champs as a result. I think I remember carnage was originally scaled back when he was released, I think. Might of been sentry. Fun fact, he was actually supposed to look ragged and broken, but the designers were told not to go with that look, but if you look carefully on the back of one his thighs you can still see a tear in his pants. Mistake or Easter egg, very telling.

Must be frustrating to the character developers having their babies neutered and trashed on by the community since I’m sure they’re fans of marvel and all their characters, that and their creativity being limited. Silver surfer of course being a huge fan favorite.

Not sure if the tear is still there, but you might still be able to see it in old YouTube videos.

• Captain_NietschCaptain_Nietsch Posts: 481 ★★

Diksh619 said:

I mean a demigod tier champion is still great. This might just be a case that you let your expectations get too high

Sir we are talking about Silver Surfer..the one we are asking for years and the one who has been hyped for more than an year..if you don't have high expectations, you are playing the wrong game!
    All I've seen is he has been in cutscenes through the year and then teased last month. I don't remember them hyping him to the point where expectations should be so high.

Of course we'd like him to beyond God tier but that's our expectations for every champ.
    I wouldn't say I agree that that's our expectations for every champ, to be beyond god tier. I think it's reasonable to expect most champs won't be "god tier". And you might even say it's reasonable to expect 80% of the champs to be just normal tier or worse, and maybe 20% tops be considered really good in varying degrees if we are lucky. What would the highs be without the lows?

However it seems that it's not the champs we'd expect to be god tier that turns out to be just that.
    Silver surfer is one of those that based on his powers in the comics would be expected to be on the verge of overpowered in the game. There are many examples, yet relatively unknown characters like Domino and Omega Red turn out way more useful in-game. I can understand the disappointment. Silver surfer is an iconic, very powerful character (even though I've never really liked him, or the fantastic four, much).
  • designsodadesignsoda Posts: 118
    edited December 2019
    Lagacy has a good video showing how Silver Surfer can be used effectively. And for all I know that's still not optimal. Still it shows he's a solid champion. And more suicide friendly than you'd think (replace SP1 with heavy and now you are cooking).

Anyway my own take is that some of us had high hopes. They weren't quite met at first glance. But the game evolves and people find new ways to use champs. This isn't pitchfork worthy or anything. And he still looks cool.
  • NikoBravoNikoBravo Posts: 447 ★★★
    Silver Surfer = Tinfoil hood ornament
  • GriffoplayGriffoplay Posts: 269

Hey there,

Sorry to hear that your are disappointed in the Silver Surfer Champion. While we understand that everybody has expectations for every new Character that is added, we are not going to be able to live up to the expectations for everybody. Every Character is somebody's favourite, and we always do our best to make Characters that everybody can be excited about, but will not be able to hit that mark for everybody.

Different Characters and their Kits will appeal to different players, some will be more useful to people in certain progression points than others.

We didn't mean to "hype" him, and I don't think we really did. He's been a part of the Story all year long, and has shown up as part of it.

come on! we got 25 characters in 2019. I can only think of 2 worst then Silver Surfer: Diablo and Maw. And even those 2 have something unique.
  • godsquad891godsquad891 Posts: 779 ★★
    so not hyping is not releasing an early access bundle early and making him the only champ in DECEMBER !!!! and the whole 5 year Anniversary and quote this statement?
    Summoners!

The year of the Fantastic 4 is coming to an end soon, but there’s one final vital member left to be returned. This December, Silver Surfer joins The Battlerealm to celebrate the 5 Year Anniversary of The Contest.
  • RoninManRoninMan Posts: 747 ★★★★

so not hyping is not releasing an early access bundle early and making him the only champ in DECEMBER !!!! and the whole 5 year Anniversary and quote this statement?
    Summoners!

The year of the Fantastic 4 is coming to an end soon, but there’s one final vital member left to be returned. This December, Silver Surfer joins The Battlerealm to celebrate the 5 Year Anniversary of The Contest.

You realize they’ve been doing prerelease crystals for months now right? That’s not considered hype, it’s just allowing people early access to the champion.

Also to everyone complaining about SS he hasn’t even been released for 2 whole days yet! A very small portion of the community has him and I’m sure we are still testing and trying to figure him out. His crystals haven’t even had a regular release yet so just chill. The people on these forums overreact so much. If a champ isn’t shown as doing a million damage with a special within 5 minutes of release people grab the pitchforks. From what I’ve seen he has a nice, reliable armor break on L1 (good for KM, Emma, IMIW), decent synergies including Mysterio, NT, and Doom, and a new Vigilance buff which helps him to bypass miss. I think people need to relax and give new characters some time before judging and raising hell.
  • KalantakKalantak Posts: 1,291 ★★★★
    well at the end ,2019 was overall a very underwhelming year in terms of event quests, side quests, characters, rankup progression(yeh 1 guy reached R3 on a 6* and probably spent about $50000 to get there) and huge failure of an act 6.2!!! yeh many of even youtubers hasnt done it 100%!! it seemed like they were making content for few people and those few people were already in their Betas as well(yeh guys like legacy and brian grant,nthing against them love their content but they some how forget over a million people play this game every day,they r passionate about it and they dont play it for 24hrs a day and they do have life,job etc!! somewhere along the way we and them lost the definition of game and 'Fun' aspect of this incredible game, loosing balance in such a bad way this year was very sad !!
  • Skillful_starSkillful_star Posts: 756 ★★★
    You know what I find funny? A "man" like Luke cage is bleed immune but a man made of a metal can bleed 🤣🤣🤣 logic
  • Axo4545 said:

DNA3000 said:

Axo4545 said:

Hey there,

Sorry to hear that your are disappointed in the Silver Surfer Champion. While we understand that everybody has expectations for every new Character that is added, we are not going to be able to live up to the expectations for everybody. Every Character is somebody's favourite, and we always do our best to make Characters that everybody can be excited about, but will not be able to hit that mark for everybody.

Different Characters and their Kits will appeal to different players, some will be more useful to people in certain progression points than others.

We didn't mean to "hype" him, and I don't think we really did. He's been a part of the Story all year long, and has shown up as part of it.

It's not about every character being god tier but it seems that whenever you add a champ that clearly should be god tier
    There's your problem right there.

The devs don't deliberately aim champions to be "god tier" or "meme tier." They aim them all at the same general level of overall performance. Circumstantially, no champion ever lands on the bullseye, and they don't spend time trying to make any of them perfect. Any champion that lands within a radius of tolerance around the bullseye is "close enough" and they move on. It would be nice if that radius was a bit smaller, but that's neither here nor there.

No one decides that Sentry is going to be weak and Blade is going to be strong. They decide that Blade and Sentry are going to be different from the previously existing champs, and sometimes those differences work out better than others. But they can't, and really shouldn't, be putting their fingers on the scales to make the champs that "should be" god tier into more powerful champs than everything else. It is hard enough putting every champion in the same zip code.

You say "If you can give a viable reason why this is the case I would love to hear it, and game balancing isn't it because you can balance the game and still do the characters justice and if the game was balanced every champ would be exactly the same power level." But that is the only answer the game devs can possibly give you, because how game developers "balance" games is not anything remotely resembling what you seem to be implying. There is no other answer, so if that answer can't satisfy you, no answer can.
    As always thanks for your opinion. We all have them and are entitled to them so saying "that's your problem right there" or any of the rest of your reply is your opinion, just like my post is my opinion. Neither one wrong, neither one right. Just individual opinions.
    So when you say, in the post below this one "I never said to make any character unbeatable" that would just be an opinion, neither right nor wrong, and everyone is free to arbitrarily decide which, because it is all just opinions.
  • OrcDovahkiinOrcDovahkiin Posts: 323
    Agreed him and sentry have been my most hyped characters tbh