**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.
Options

My First R5. Anybody Else Have Him At R5?

Comments

• Options
    NojokejaymNojokejaym Posts: 3,912 ★★★★★

Took me quite a while to decide between him, Hyp & Ghost, but I'm definitely happy with my decision. Anybody else in the R5 Gulk club?

I have him r2 as a 6 star
  • Options
    ZuroZuro Posts: 2,728 ★★★★★

TKS87 said:

Saiyan said:

A niche rankup as your 1st R5 is always super smart

Is he really? I use my R4 in AW, AQ and Questing all the time. The XL means V2 is good to go. The Heal Block is very useful in AW for some mini bosses. He's never not of use for me. Great vs SW in Map 5 AQ or any path that has poison. Great vs Starburst in Map 6+. The few enemies he counters, he does it really well and even tho everyone has Blade, Gulk still does the job great. He's a great champ generally.
    He absolutely is. I can use Hulkbuster in a lot of the situations you described but that doesnt make it a wise move.

Look if someone likes a champ and wants to rank them up, go for it it's not my account. Just bc you shoehorn a bad choice into a lot of areas doesn't negate the fact it's a bad choice though
    If you think hulkbuster is anywhere near ghulk you're tripping (at least for now, might be different when HB is buffed). Ghulk doesn't just rely on face me to be effective, so long as you're playing aggressively and keep his crowd excitement up he's hitting hard, and he's got pretty good utility on both his l1 and l2. The face me is a nice added bonus for some of the most annoying mechanics in the game, including Starburst, no retreat, E.m.p modification.. And of course the damage from champs like meph, domino, dorm, etc. Just because you might not like him does not make it a bad choice.
    Gulk is absolutely not hitting hard without Face Me. Go ahead an take him up against a 250k 6.3 health pool without it and let me know how that goes. I'm aware how he works, I've had him at R4 for ages which is exactly where he'll be staying as well. I've got 19 R5s and 6 R2s and not once have I had the slightest desire to rank up Gulk.

Again, if you like him, great use him. Still not a wise choice compared to either ghost or hype duped or not.
    Let the man play the dang game like why tf does it matter to you so much it's not your account he is simply playing with Champs who enjoys just because it's not one of the top choices doesn't mean anything. Stop being a Debby downer
  • Options
    WorknprogressWorknprogress Posts: 7,233 ★★★★★
    Zuro said:

TKS87 said:

Saiyan said:

A niche rankup as your 1st R5 is always super smart

Is he really? I use my R4 in AW, AQ and Questing all the time. The XL means V2 is good to go. The Heal Block is very useful in AW for some mini bosses. He's never not of use for me. Great vs SW in Map 5 AQ or any path that has poison. Great vs Starburst in Map 6+. The few enemies he counters, he does it really well and even tho everyone has Blade, Gulk still does the job great. He's a great champ generally.
    He absolutely is. I can use Hulkbuster in a lot of the situations you described but that doesnt make it a wise move.

Look if someone likes a champ and wants to rank them up, go for it it's not my account. Just bc you shoehorn a bad choice into a lot of areas doesn't negate the fact it's a bad choice though
    If you think hulkbuster is anywhere near ghulk you're tripping (at least for now, might be different when HB is buffed). Ghulk doesn't just rely on face me to be effective, so long as you're playing aggressively and keep his crowd excitement up he's hitting hard, and he's got pretty good utility on both his l1 and l2. The face me is a nice added bonus for some of the most annoying mechanics in the game, including Starburst, no retreat, E.m.p modification.. And of course the damage from champs like meph, domino, dorm, etc. Just because you might not like him does not make it a bad choice.
    Gulk is absolutely not hitting hard without Face Me. Go ahead an take him up against a 250k 6.3 health pool without it and let me know how that goes. I'm aware how he works, I've had him at R4 for ages which is exactly where he'll be staying as well. I've got 19 R5s and 6 R2s and not once have I had the slightest desire to rank up Gulk.

Again, if you like him, great use him. Still not a wise choice compared to either ghost or hype duped or not.
    Let the man play the dang game like why tf does it matter to you so much it's not your account he is simply playing with Champs who enjoys just because it's not one of the top choices doesn't mean anything. Stop being a Debby downer
    I said in the exact post you quoted that hey if you like him great, use him. Do not get your panties in a bunch when you post something on a forum looking for other's opinions when they dont align with yours though.

• Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 5,476 ★★★★★

Rank up whoever you like. Eventually it won’t matter much.
  • Options
    KalantakKalantak Posts: 1,291 ★★★★
    sorry to say but besides "face me" he is very mediocore champion..he has his niche matchups though but they r far and few inbetween
  • Options
    solmyrairsolmyrair Posts: 388
    You’ll find a lot of use from Ghulk. He’s really good champ and took me out of trouble many times.
  • Options
    ChadhoganChadhogan Posts: 460 ★★★
    Good to see someone max rank a champ they enjoy playing with 👍 don't listen to anyone dude your account, your the boss, blaze your own path and have a very merry Christmas.
  • Options
    PolygonPolygon Posts: 3,835 ★★★★★

Took me quite a while to decide between him, Hyp & Ghost, but I'm definitely happy with my decision. Anybody else in the R5 Gulk club?

Ghost, Hype, and him but you go with Gulk? Yikes
    You can’t assume that everyone that has Ghost can play her. Never pulled her, but from what I’ve heard she sounds like a very hard champion to play, especially without the wasp synergy
  • Options
    WorknprogressWorknprogress Posts: 7,233 ★★★★★

Not for nothing, but there seems to be a large portion of the player base that would prefer EVERYONE to rank up all the same Champions.

To the OP, congratulations. Gulk is reliable, and his “niche” is still unique to him - seeing how he has been in the game for almost 2 years now. He is a fun champ to play, especially if you like to play aggressively. Poison immunity as well.

I still prefer him, to Blade, in the matchups they are commonly selected to counter (Dormammu, Magik, Mephisto). And any node that inflicts Passive DOT is yours for the taking. Enjoy your first 5/65.

P.S. Bring Gulk (+ Hela synergy to make easy (not so quick though) work of the Variant 4 Electro boss.

Or people just try to steer people towards rank ups that will be more beneficial to them in the long run. Ranking and learning to play Ghost properly will be more beneficial to any player overall than Gulk. I don't see how anyone can even begin to argue that fact.

Niche rankups absolutely have their place in this game. Them being your first R5 is typically unwise. If that's what someone wants to do anyway, more power to them that still doesn't make it the smart play.

Again though, everyone has to play their own account so do what you want but if you do something that's generally considered unwise don't be so sensitive about it when someone tells you it wasn't a good move. Just say it's who I like and move on
  • Options
    ZENZEN Posts: 151
    edited December 2019
    I tip my hat for Ranking up 5 Gulk instead of Hype or Ghost. I hope you won't regret it down the line when you're playing other special events or Variants. Grats! As a Ghost player, I'm so happy I have her at R5 coz it's makes my life easier playing EQ, Variants. Save me tons and tons of revives, units. lol.
  • Options
    Nick_Caine_32Nick_Caine_32 Posts: 587 ★★★★
    lol the people here trying to say this was a bad decision are nuts. Gulk is one of the best champions and most underrated in the game right now. He single handedly made me a top point earner in map 6 for over a year. He doesn't require a dupe. He handles all kinds of weird damage node combos like degen, limbo, etc that not many other champs can do. His synergies are good. He is arguably the BEST counter to the electro fight in the new variant. I have him as a six star rank 2 and I took my five star to rank 4, and I use both regularly and I'm over a million rated.

Don't let the grouch here make you doubt your decision, he will help you out in progression in almost every game area you're wanting to tackle. It may not be every single path but there's some fights and modes where he is one of the ONLY counters out there.
  • Options
    KDoggg2017KDoggg2017 Posts: 1,208 ★★★★
    Congrats to the OP!
    You will enjoy your first 5/65 bcuz you picked the champion you use the most. Well done! ☻👍
  • Options
    SaiyanSaiyan Posts: 727 ★★★★
    Since my post in this thread by opinion on Hulk Rags got even stronger. For the new V4 content he destroys BOTH Electro and DPX bosses.

First he gains Face Me from Electro's passive degen meaning taking less damage overall for 99% of the fight which at one point saved me from after getting hit by a SP2 as his health kept bouncing back up when getting hit. Not to mention his damage is also higher. PLUS the taunt face me has meant it was a fight of motions vs Electro. Hit a few times, back off, Electro uses a SP1 (or 2 but I prefer evade the SP1) and repeat. I didn't bring any synergies to this fight but as someone said above, the Hela, She Hulk or Annihulis one makes the fight faster.

Second with DPX, Hulk is one of the champs in game that can do the heavy corner trap vs DPX so it's an easy fight. Like The video below shows how easy it is, I used no boost or anything, just Hulk and the fight was a breeze. Cuz it's really silly easy. Also this may just be me but Hulk Rags has one of the most satisfying Heavy's in game. Not that it does alot of damage but it LOOKS like it does alot of damage. I mean it's the HULK smashing your face with two big ass axes, how does it look like it doesn't hurt?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MoXwBr179-4

Since you have a 5 star R5 version this makes it even easier for both bosses.
  • Options
    Hector_1475Hector_1475 Posts: 1,783 ★★★★★
    Under the light that he can clear entire V2 for you and provide you with all those sweet resources, he is an excellent choice for first R5. You could do a lot worse. Congrats!
  • Options
    RagamugginGunnerRagamugginGunner Posts: 2,210 ★★★★★
    Gulk can do everything you need him to do at r4. Not worth a r5 unless you have a bunch already and don't mind using t5b or a rank up gem on a utility champ.
  • Options
    Lvernon15Lvernon15 Posts: 11,596 ★★★★★
    I personally don’t condone gulk over ghost, but if you enjoy him it’s not my account, so I’m not the one to judge
  • Options
    lol the trolls disagreeing with my comment are cracking me up. literally nothing I said isn't a fact. It is a fact that he's one of the only counters to the nodes I listed. It's a FACT that he's a beast on map 6, that he kills on variant 2 and variant 4. Yall are so butthurt over this guy being happy about his new rank up that you're lying about actual facts and attributes on a character. So childish.
  • Options
    ZuroZuro Posts: 2,728 ★★★★★

Not for nothing, but there seems to be a large portion of the player base that would prefer EVERYONE to rank up all the same Champions.

To the OP, congratulations. Gulk is reliable, and his “niche” is still unique to him - seeing how he has been in the game for almost 2 years now. He is a fun champ to play, especially if you like to play aggressively. Poison immunity as well.

I still prefer him, to Blade, in the matchups they are commonly selected to counter (Dormammu, Magik, Mephisto). And any node that inflicts Passive DOT is yours for the taking. Enjoy your first 5/65.

P.S. Bring Gulk (+ Hela synergy to make easy (not so quick though) work of the Variant 4 Electro boss.

Or people just try to steer people towards rank ups that will be more beneficial to them in the long run. Ranking and learning to play Ghost properly will be more beneficial to any player overall than Gulk. I don't see how anyone can even begin to argue that fact.

Niche rankups absolutely have their place in this game. Them being your first R5 is typically unwise. If that's what someone wants to do anyway, more power to them that still doesn't make it the smart play.

Again though, everyone has to play their own account so do what you want but if you do something that's generally considered unwise don't be so sensitive about it when someone tells you it wasn't a good move. Just say it's who I like and move on
    Who cares though? Why care so much if it's not yours games are about having fun and he is having fun with gulk not everyone always need focus on the same 4 characterso everytime
  • Options
    BNOJamsBNOJams Posts: 103
    Great choice, because it's a great champ that you like to play.
  • Options
    OctoberstackOctoberstack Posts: 872 ★★★★

lol the trolls disagreeing with my comment are cracking me up. literally nothing I said isn't a fact. It is a fact that he's one of the only counters to the nodes I listed. It's a FACT that he's a beast on map 6, that he kills on variant 2 and variant 4. Yall are so butthurt over this guy being happy about his new rank up that you're lying about actual facts and attributes on a character. So childish.

It's just something that happens on the forums tbh, no need to take it so personally. I imagine it's likely due to the disagree react being the only reaction that can express any kind of negative sentiment. In a lot of cases, the agree vs. disagree count means very little.

If I had to add anything to what you originally said though, I'd also mention that Gulk is great for V1 Chapter 3 too, especially for the final Ultron boss in quest 3 with EMP modification, if you lack a suitably option. Although perhaps not the absolute best counter to the V4 Electro, as you said - I think max sig Namor takes that spot, but I understand that fewer people have access to him at a suitably high sig.

Overall Gulk is fantastic champ for what he does, congrats on the rankup OP, I have him as a 6* myself and enjoy using him.
  • Options
    ESFESF Posts: 1,944 ★★★★★
    edited December 2019
    Zuro said:

Who cares though? Why care so much if it's not yours games are about having fun and he is having fun with gulk not everyone always need focus on the same 4 characterso everytime
    To me, JMO, this thread is exactly why Kabam's No. 1 priority for the short and long term should be rebalancing this game

Before people lose their minds: Not nerfs. Ghost and Corvus and Nick Fury and other elite characters don't need to change

What needs to change is the fact that these characters are so far ahead of the pack, people view it as wasteful to rank up other characters based on overall performance

Not all characters have to have DPS that outputs exactly the same. I am not saying that

What I am saying is that if you have a R5 GHulk and an R5 Corvus, after 100 hits, that DPS output needs to be roughly the same. Comparable. You can get there differently, but you need to get there in roughly the same amount of time and hits

Then people can choose characters based on utility, like Phasing or Guaranteed Crits or Face Me, instead of ridiculous discrepancies in DPS making the decision so common that the same characters get ranked up over and over
  • Options

It's just something that happens on the forums tbh, no need to take it so personally. I imagine it's likely due to the disagree react being the only reaction that can express any kind of negative sentiment. In a lot of cases, the agree vs. disagree count means very little.

If I had to add anything to what you originally said though, I'd also mention that Gulk is great for V1 Chapter 3 too, especially for the final Ultron boss in quest 3 with EMP modification, if you lack a suitably option. Although perhaps not the absolute best counter to the V4 Electro, as you said - I think max sig Namor takes that spot, but I understand that fewer people have access to him at a suitably high sig.

Overall Gulk is fantastic champ for what he does, congrats on the rankup OP, I have him as a 6* myself and enjoy using him.
    for sure, i've been on here since the beginning so I get it, but it was just so childish to read first thing in the morning. This dude was so happy and then negativity for no reason comes their way. And people just straight up acting like Gladiator Hulk isn't the beast he is. I'll argue about that anyday, even if it's someone's rank up decision instead of ghost. Everyone is different who plays this - I got quake when I was around the same point in this dude's roster. I tried forever to get used to her, because everyone who used her got so much done. I just can't play that style. Ghost is similar for a lot of people, and takes getting used to. Gladiator Hulk just smashes **** and does everything I've said and others said too. For anyone to pretend like it's not a useful pull and rank up is just laughable.
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    Someone disagreed already, which I do not understand.

I understand how message boards work, so I don't care about the disagree function

What I do care about is why some people want the game to be "Ghost is so much better than 90 percent of the characters in the game, if you don't rank up Ghost, you made a mistake"

Why do people want the game to be like this? I like this game a lot. But it could be one of the all-time gaming experiences if there wasn't such a gap between the best characters in the game and the rest of the character base
  • Options
    RagamugginGunnerRagamugginGunner Posts: 2,210 ★★★★★
    ESF said:

I understand how message boards work, so I don't care about the disagree function

What I do care about is why some people want the game to be "Ghost is so much better than 90 percent of the characters in the game, if you don't rank up Ghost, you made a mistake"

Why do people want the game to be like this? I like this game a lot. But it could be one of the all-time gaming experiences if there wasn't such a gap between the best characters in the game and the rest of the character base

We didn't choose to have Ghost be the best champ in the game, Kabam did. You should be mad at Kabam fo making Ghost so much better than Gulk.
  • Options

ESF said:

We didn't choose to have Ghost be the best champ in the game, Kabam did. You should be mad at Kabam fo making Ghost so much better than Gulk.
    "Mad" isn't the right word. I just see the game differently than some in that I understand Ghost is very valuable and desirable because of what she does, so some people will go through a lot to get the kit. I get that is something a developer would want

It just baffles me that so many players are OK with it in the regard that shouldn't we all want more options for our gaming experience to be efficient and effective? They can't all be Ghost, etc. But my personal opinion is that way too many characters are way too below that standard

I am a decent enough Ghost player. Not the best, but far from the worst. I took a 3/30 four-star and got more production BY FAR than multiple other characters, including a 4/55

That's good for Ghost, but IMO, that isn't great for balance