**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.

Why is the monthly calendar so weak?

2»

Comments

• No_More_HeroesNo_More_Heroes Posts: 471 ★★
    Fthewigg wrote: »
    You can always count on free dribble...

I'm on the fence about the whole free stuff argument. I'm quite confident that statistics would dictate that the more people log on, the more likely they are going to spend. Also, when the company was sold, don't you think that the log in stats were influential in the sale price?

Do I appreciate getting extra stuff for doing what I normally do anyway. Absolutely! Am I naive enough to believe we get it from the goodness of their benevolent hearts? Uh, no. There is a strategy here, and free ain't always free.

Given all the bugs and costly issues, it's the least they can do.

That may have validity if it were mandatory to spend. As it stands, the Rewards are available to everyone whether they spend or not. It's still free.

Like sample crack and heroin. :D
  • Sungj wrote: »
    Its free stuff if you want five star shards you should want to earn them not want them to be handed to you

It's not free stuff... It's the way the game functions now. I earn every single shard I can get my hands on. I grind every arena and complete all the quests. If you think that is enough, then you are not on my level. That calendar has become a valued part of the game. It's a source for resources that we have come to rely on. There is only one item in that calendar that is going to help me at all... This thing is just a slap in the face to people who are trying to stay on pace with what the creators have laid down. If you think it is good enough, you are behind.... That calendar is weaker than ones we were getting months and months ago. There very first calendar they ever gave us was barely weaker than this one. Stop looking at this like it's "free stuff" It's not free stuff, it's our monthly stipend and this is not enough to sustain us. They are just expecting us to buy the rest...

It is free. You get it for turning on the game. Legitimately free. If you want to look at logging on as payment, that would scarcely be considered earning it. The problem is undoubtedly expectations. We are given free Rewards for logging in. There is absolutely no room to be offended by that.
    While we're on the subject, the Player Base is responsible for taking the Announcement and running with that. Just because 6*'s are coming in the future doesn't mean they will be handing us 5*'s every month.

This is incorrect, although I suppose it depends on your definition of free.

The calender is designed to entice consistent log ins. Everything Kabam does is to keep people playing and spending but the calender is the most transparent example of keeping players active.

If it's weak, like now, players are less likely to log on for the rewards.

That's the transaction - "keep playing our game and we will reward you with items you want" - it's not a 1-sided transaction. It involves participation- the end goal of which is constant participation of hours per day.

Its not "something for nothing" - it's buying into the scheme of rewards with your time and consistency. If you consider that nothing, it's because logging into the game has become such a routine habit that it means nothing to you to do it. Thats how kabam want all their players to behave - thus: the calender.

There has, however, been a cost paid by you.

Nothing is free.
  • GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Posts: 36,236 ★★★★★
    Sungj wrote: »
    Its free stuff if you want five star shards you should want to earn them not want them to be handed to you

It's not free stuff... It's the way the game functions now. I earn every single shard I can get my hands on. I grind every arena and complete all the quests. If you think that is enough, then you are not on my level. That calendar has become a valued part of the game. It's a source for resources that we have come to rely on. There is only one item in that calendar that is going to help me at all... This thing is just a slap in the face to people who are trying to stay on pace with what the creators have laid down. If you think it is good enough, you are behind.... That calendar is weaker than ones we were getting months and months ago. There very first calendar they ever gave us was barely weaker than this one. Stop looking at this like it's "free stuff" It's not free stuff, it's our monthly stipend and this is not enough to sustain us. They are just expecting us to buy the rest...

It is free. You get it for turning on the game. Legitimately free. If you want to look at logging on as payment, that would scarcely be considered earning it. The problem is undoubtedly expectations. We are given free Rewards for logging in. There is absolutely no room to be offended by that.
    While we're on the subject, the Player Base is responsible for taking the Announcement and running with that. Just because 6*'s are coming in the future doesn't mean they will be handing us 5*'s every month.

The calender is designed to entice consistent log ins. Everything Kabam does is to keep people playing and spending but the calender is the most transparent example of keeping players active.

That's the transaction - "keep playing our game and we will reward you with items you want" - it's not a 1-sided transaction. It involves participation- the end goal of which is constant participation of hours per day.

Its not "something for nothing" - it's buying into the scheme of rewards with your time and consistency. If you consider that nothing, it's because logging into the game has become such a routine habit that it means nothing to you to do it. Thats how kabam want all their players to behave - thus: the calender.

Nothing is free.

It's incentive to log in no doubt. The argument was that it's not free. Technically it is free. You don't even have to play. You could log in once a day and get the Rewards. The majority of people do play, and many do make purchases. The real point that I'm driving home is that the Rewards are given for next to no effort. Turning the game on is not a great feat. It perplexes me to no end how people can be blasé about something that is given as a gift for playing.
  • Tmasters1984Tmasters1984 Posts: 451
    edited September 2017

Nothing is free.

It's incentive to log in no doubt. The argument was that it's not free. Technically it is free. You don't even have to play. You could log in once a day and get the Rewards. The majority of people do play, and many do make purchases. The real point that I'm driving home is that the Rewards are given for next to no effort. Turning the game on is not a great feat. It perplexes me to no end how people can be blasé about something that is given as a gift for playing.

I suppose it perplexes me why some players decide it as unreasonable for other players to criticise the reward system.

In the grand scheme of the game, yes, these rewards are given without any demonstration of skill or talent . You still have to demonstrate loyalty to the game though.

The calender is not strong, and I defend my right to make that comment. I also defend any dispersions cast upon those who might view this position as coming from one of entitlement or of being spoiled. It is neither - it is in critical observation of the gacha-esque system of reward and collection that Kabam employs here, nothing more nor less.

My position always is is that games like this are sort of scams, but if you're buying into the scam you should be aware of it.
  • It's a gacha game.

We should be criticising the rewards scheme anytime we need to.

Its not about entitlement; it's about knowing how effective the scam is. ;-)

Nothing is free.

It's not a gift for playing... It's an incentive to keep coming back. There is nothing in the calendar that I am looking forward to except a single t4cc, of which I will earn 20 or so on my won this month, making that one single reward I need, fairly invaluable incentive.

If the only reason you're playing is the Calendar, it may be too late. Lol. In all seriousness, it is a free gift. Whether you're happy with it or not. You're entitled to your feelings, but everyone gets the same Calendar. It is absolutely impossible to please everyone because there are all different ranges of Players to accommodate. We can split hairs forever, but it's a gift. One that comes from logging on, the same as we always do. The problem is not the Rewards. It's the expectations.
  • Tmasters1984Tmasters1984 Posts: 451
    edited September 2017
    It's not about expectations it's about knowing how well those "gifts" are working to keep you playing.

You get to call out the game for establishing a pattern of handing out worthwhile rewards, and then decreasing the usefulness of those rewards over time.

When you do that, you see the system in play and the behaviour they want from the player.

When you have an attitude like "I'll take whatever I can get" and you play for four hours a day; you're a victim, not a player.
  • SpiritOfVengeanceSpiritOfVengeance Posts: 2,353 ★★★★
    They should have a 4 star or 5 star carnage not a 3 star or 4 star
    edited September 2017
    It's not about expectations it's about knowing how well those "gifts" are working to keep you playing.

You get to call out the game for establishing a pattern of handing out worthwhile rewards, and then decreasing the usefulness of those rewards over time.

When you do that, you see the system in play and the behaviour they want from the player.

I disagree. When they provide something for free, there is a fine line between giving honest feedback and developing the expectation that it has to be a certain way. People are not entitled to what is given for nothing. There is a general air of ingratitude that is really a window into the constant dissatisfaction that takes place. Layman's terms, some are never satisfied. There's nothing wrong with providing feedback and suggestions. When they give something to people just for logging on, that's a bit different. Especially when they try to switch it up and keep it accommodating to the entire Player Base. Everyone gets the same Calendar. Not just those who are chasing Max 5*'s and 6* Shards. As I said, people are entitled to their thoughts and feelings. I will still reserve the right to remind people we don't actually do anything to get these Rewards. We turn the game on, which is a must to play it. Meaning, we are no more going out of our way to get them than we are in regular gameplay. The Calendar is for everyone. Not just one specific demographic. To date, it has never been the same as the previous month. Somehow people expected it to be filled with 5* Shards, T5B, and T2A. Nice thought, but to the Level 10 Player, that wouldn't be much use at all. Not immediately. It's a Login Calendar. It gives some incentive, but it's certainly not aimed at keeping people here. If people are only staying for the Clanedar, I would imagine it's already too late.
  • SpiritSpirit Posts: 222
    Viper1987 wrote: »

Dear God, the sense of entitlement is astounding. "Monthly stipend"? My god man, it's free stuff just for pushing a button to log into the game. Are you an adult? Then grow up. All this post has done is shown that you're a little kid throwing a tantrum.

Dude completely agree with u @Viper1987 but technically doesnt he have to be a kid to grow up?!
    #logicnazi??!
  • SpiritSpirit Posts: 222

Nothing is free.

Dude @GroundedWisdom how can u be so insensitive to say that no effort is needed! YOU HAVE TO PUSH THE APP ICON TO OPEN THE GAME!!! Jeez man u are on internet where climbing Mt. Everest isnt a big thing but pushing/touching a button is!

(um sry for all the @s recently just realised that the other guy gets a notification and so am using it so that ppl actually read my comment!! :p )
  • FivesFives Posts: 118 ★★
    I personally am not here to pick a side, so I'm gonna stay out of it. I WOULD like to point out that despite all this bickering and name calling, which I would assume kabam does not want on their forums, not one moderator has jumped in and diffused any of this. I'm gonna go ahead and point to the thing we should really be focusing on, which is kabam's lack of communication.

For instance, I feel like they did say at some point that the 5* shards were just a special thing for that month, so why not hop into this thread and point back to when they said it? This thread is gaining traction, I'm sure someone has seen it. And why not discuss with people why they CAN'T go around handing out rewards like that every month? We know they have their reasons, and I'm sure some of the chaos we experience here on the forums, (on lots of different threads, not just this one, or just this topic) and some of the confusion could be alleviated with discussion. Obviously there's some people that are beyond reason, but honestly, the vast majority of people I see here are people that I feel like I can have a reasonable debate with, even if I disagree with them. Can't the moderators do some of the same, just to show they're listening and that they're not just ignoring us?
  • ....Everything there...is free. They didn't always have a calendar either so it's not like something we're entitled to.
  • Usually when we have a "weak" calendar, a secondary weekly calendar will come out for a special event sometime during the month. I would reserve judgment for now.
  • It's not about expectations it's about knowing how well those "gifts" are working to keep you playing.

I disagree. When they provide something for free, there is a fine line between giving honest feedback and developing the expectation that it has to be a certain way.

Funny, because I agree with this. The forums are a place to talk amongst the community and also to criticise or comment on poor aspects of the game. There is a sub-forum dedicated to bugs; of which there are plenty. We get the "game" "for free" but we criticise it's operation, because there is an expectation it will operate well.

The same goes for the reward system. It is a straw-man to compare it to times when there was no calender; the game is vastly different in many ways now. However, the important thing is that EVERY ASPECT of the game is built around players achieving items - this is how players feel they progress. Those items are dished out in tiny increments: 36,000 bits for some; 10,000 for others; 1,000 for others till. This system is designed so that players achieve those items over-time. It is also designed, very well, for players to not want to opt out of this collection - the prospect of collecting 102,000 tier 4 catalyst shards over, say, 18 months is fairly daunting to some new players so the game is designed to make that seem less daunting. This is done in many ways - the monthly calender is week.

Part of the expectation we have as players is that pursuing these items should not be unreasonable. It should not suddenly stretch from 3 months, to 4 years to get a catalyst. Obviously, it's in both Kabam and the players interest to keep these expectations reasonable and deliver on those expectations. Many players would drop out if t4ccs were suddenly increased to 360,000 catalysts each.

All this is part of moving parts of the gacha-esque game system some of us enjoy, and others are just blatantly locked into, but, and here's the kicker - when Kabam pulls the rug out from under the players that gives us license to complain. Some examples of this pulling out the rug are: the failure to address consistent control bugs (while acknowledging the monetary advantage in not addressing them); dramatic alteration of gameplay mechanics players have invested months-to-years in advancing; and, on a much smaller scale - the reduction of the supply of items at a consistent rate. That reduction may take many forms, and yes, some calenders are better then others - that just means it is worth calling out when a calender is bad; because a bad calender signifies that Kabam either - a) is not aware of what players value; or b) is aware of what players value and provide it inconsistently. I believe we're dealing with point b and what people are complaining about is the inconsistency which alters the lengths and methods players are required to achieve certain items and thus progress - the calenders may make it a faster progression, or they may make it a slow progression, but the calenders exist currently and nothing has been said that they will be withdrawn, so when that calender signifies are slower progression there is legitimate grounds for the player to comment on that; some might complain loudly; but it is not about entitlement. It is about BEING AWARE OF HOW THE SYSTEM OF REWARDS WORKS - because EVERYTHING IN THIS GAME IS "FREE" BY MOST OF THE DEFINITIONS PROPOSED HERE. It is a subjective definition of how free that free is - for some players, logging on every day is probably a chore, while for others it is routine; just as for some players completing Master Event mode is a tedious, painful and resource-heavy process while others it is a breeze. All provide rewards whereby no financial bargain has been struck (unless it's been for units). So, if everything is free, then nothing can be criticised. Which is a completely unfair proposal, and positions Kabam and this game as a tyranny and the player as mere slaves. A prospect which, I suspect, many will not want to embrace.
    People are not entitled to what is given for nothing. There is a general air of ingratitude that is really a window into the constant dissatisfaction that takes place.

I think this position is reading a lot into what is ostensibly people complaining about the quality of items received in a game for consistent loyalty.. It is amplifying these complaints into some kind of larger cultural problem of millennial entitlement; which, in my experience, is largely an artifice which has been contrived through some idiotic generational conflict. That's not what's going on here - people aren't "Ingrateful" - to pose that thought suggests that Kabam is some altruistic force who gets nothing from the millions of players that transact with them every hour, both in financial terms and others.

They are not.
  • DarkestDestroyerDarkestDestroyer Posts: 2,874 ★★★★★

I don't know if this guys being serious or not... there will be level 30 players who are loving this calendar, yes they said resources will be able to be EARNED more easily...

The calendar is a daily freebie to keep you coming back, at no point do you "earn" it for logging in.

5.3 next week, earn some stuff there, event quests just started, go earn some more there

Got a feel october will be a big month with more than 1 quest to earn items too, so just wait and chill the F out.

Enough to keep you busy for a month, if not then go away whinging, because the free item isn't enough for you.
  • WOKWOK Posts: 468 ★★
    edited September 2017
    Reading most of the opinions and comments in this thread have taken me through a number of facets our human intellect ranging from enlightening, humorous, disgusted, you name it! And on this topic suprising to myself, I will take a firm stance in defense of our benefactors of the monthly calendar rewards. Lots of opinions and fact based comments have been made going either way. Everything from our time and effort invested towards playing should be compensated for, marketing strategy to drug dealing savvy and even climbing Mt.Everest have been used to validate each persons opinion. And I admit, not completely on topic but closely related to is a point I'm sure many already know but for one reason or another failed to "bring it to the table" . That point being is that after peeling away all the layers of ethical business practices, psychological marketing, consumer relations etc. etc. at the very core of what we discuss, we have been granted permission from Kabam to play this game, and have been offered choices to make if we wished to continue. We ultimately in the end have the power to choose whether we will accept what is "given free", rewarded, earned, offered to purchase, introduced etc... or choose not to accept it and discontinue use of the service and Kabam is obligated to do nothing other than provide us a service period. In reality, no matter how we word it, or feel that they should be and try to validate that they are for this or that reason. Kabam is not obligated or responsible to do nothing more than provide us with a service and choices to be made during use of said service. They are responsible for overseeing players access into their(possibly leased) servers and to ensure the integrity of the security standards in place to guard their "intellectual property" within, along with our personal information. And really other than a few more things that do not pertain to us players, thats about it. Fact is, no matter how strongly some may feel differently in this regard, only thing that is ours(and this could also be argued as not to be) is the email address and password we registered for an acct. And because we were Granted this right from Kabam, I dont disagree with us having the right to provide feedback and suggestions of what could be improved for better enjoyment and to report actual errors providing evidence that it is not operating as was intended, and in some instances where there was a real money purchase made where Kabam did not provide with services or goods as was advertised, we also reserve a consumers right to file complaints and demand remedy. After that, responsibilty is ours alone for the choices we made and Kabam is not and should not be held responsible or obligated to "make us happy" if those choices later begin to yield unfavorable circumstances we did not expect or agree with. Just as Kabam cannot and should not hold us responsible or obligated to spend and provide the monies to ensure that they meet or exceed their projected quarterly earnings. But I feel each side has obliged the other to some degree along the way, and for that I think gratitude and appreciation is due from both sides.
  • mum_m2mum_m2 Posts: 1,776 ★★★★
    It does seem weak, but I anticipate some extra content this month to make up for it. We'll see
This discussion has been closed.